SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 11 at 12:00 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi
First of all, you're conflating several things that were either during the course of play or not near the level a cross check to the head, or both. More importantly, Greig dove??? What???

Gosh, maybe we should reward Rielly, huh? Really, he's a hero, to all the disaffected folks out there who imagine that slapper was the height of evil. We should give them all cuddles for what they've been through!

Sweet Moses, do you even hear yourself?

They were all head-oriented plays, most outside of plays...

Second, Greig fell as soon as contact was made, a lot like another Sens player during a different play...

Third, Rielly kept hockey code...

You notice how all the NHL and ex-NHL players are on Rielly's side? And the media's on Greig's... Funny eh? And guess what Parros is? An ex-NHLer, specifically one that ensure NHL code was kept

I side with the ex-NHLers especially considering Greig wasn't hurt and knew what he did
LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 11 at 12:01 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Not challenging anything you said.

You mentioned the unwritten rule...I am just saying its a very minor unwritten rule.
Rielly could have ignored and no one would have noticed or cared.

I'm sure media would've loved to call the Leafs soft if they let Grieg walk away with nothing, I didn't watch the game so I can't tell how close the game was but I think realistically, someone will tell you not to take a slapshot into an empty net with 5 seconds left, Rielly ultimately chose a way that has no place in hockey
LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 11 at 12:02 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: Leafsfan98

Second, Greig fell as soon as contact was made, a lot like another Sens player during a different play...

You notice how all the NHL and ex-NHL players are on Rielly's side? And the media's on Greig's... Funny eh? And guess what Parros is? An ex-NHLer, specifically one that ensure NHL code was kept

I side with the ex-NHLers especially considering Greig wasn't hurt and knew what he did

That's not really a good argument, unwritten rules in sport is dumb, even if one should be smart enough not to break them just to avoid the fallout
Feb. 11 at 12:03 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That's not really a good argument, unwritten rules in sport is dumb, even if one should be smart enough not to break them just to avoid the fallout

It is dumb... But you have to remember who's in charge of discipline and most of the staff around the league
Feb. 11 at 12:10 p.m.
WentWughes
https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1756727065473114334

Boston’s Matt Grzelcyk has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for spearing Washington’s Max Pacioretty.
Feb. 11 at 12:10 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Zadorov, 2-game suspension...
thumbs up here
Feb. 11 at 12:11 p.m.
I don't see why Leaf fans are so worried...

They went 14-2-1 without Rielly in lineup last year
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 11 at 12:20 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Feb. 11 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1756727065473114334

Boston’s Matt Grzelcyk has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for spearing Washington’s Max Pacioretty.

That's the right call (fine) and he sat most of the game. The team played w/ 5-D and played horribly; lost!!

It was a hockey play in theory and it's two-staged for a D-Man in coaching trying to defend his slot hard & box out opponent by:
1) defender sets his stick between opposition legs, and
2) defender then puts their body alongside the forward like in soccer and you lean on him to defend/steer away from high danger area/neutralize...

MG needs to work on #1; a lot!
Feb. 11 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I'm sure media would've loved to call the Leafs soft if they let Grieg walk away with nothing, I didn't watch the game so I can't tell how close the game was but I think realistically, someone will tell you not to take a slapshot into an empty net with 5 seconds left, Rielly ultimately chose a way that has no place in hockey

Well, if Leafs are letting media get inside their heads, that is their own darn problem.

Grieg choice of shot on an empty-netter was about as minor of an infraction against 'code' as one could see.

If the Leafs had allowed Grieg to cross red line during warm-ups, would media called them "soft"?
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:00 p.m.
mokumboi

Oh give it a rest with your "hockey code". You go over, grab him by the scruff man to man, give him some nice face wash, shake his bones, okay. Cool.

To go over and take his head off with two hands on the stick??? Uhh no. You are light years too sensitive and entitled. Get real.
McGruff liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Oh give it a rest with your "hockey code". You go over, grab him by the scruff man to man, give him some nice face wash, shake his bones, okay. Cool.

To go over and take his head off with two hands on the stick??? Uhh no. You are light years too sensitive and entitled. Get real.

Surely, if you were right, you'd be having Ex NHlers defend Greig, right? Nope

Even Marc Methot said he loved the response from Rielly (Obviously he stated he wanted a suspension but didn't state how long)

And where was Claude Giroux on this at media day, well respected vet, didn't mention anything about Rielly doing anything wrong... He didn't defend his teammate bc he knew his teammate was in the wrong...

Please, give your head a shake if you don't believe:

1. There is a code

2. Everyone knows the code

3. If you break the code, something bad will happen to you (just ask Nick Cousins)

4. The NHL goes lighter on guys who defended the code (Again, ask Nick Cousins)
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:08 p.m.
mokumboi

Even Marc Methot said he loved the response from Rielly (Obviously he stated he wanted a suspension but didn't state how long)

And where was Claude Giroux on this at media day, well respected vet, didn't mention anything about Rielly doing anything wrong... He didn't defend his teammate bc he knew his teammate was in the wrong...

1. There is a code

3. If you break the code, something bad will happen to you (just ask Nick Cousins)

What snowflake nonsense. Imagine thinking Greig broke a code more then Rielly did...

My side right or wrong is everything wrong with this world.
Feb. 11 at 1:22 p.m.
WentWughes
In person hearing for Morgan Rielly.
Feb. 11 at 1:22 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
In person hearing for Morgan Rielly.

Going to be atleast 6 games you'd think.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:25 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Rielly's was not as bad? I see you're trying to be pragmatic and relative about it, and I get that. No one should ever get away with under 10 games for the things those guys did. And frankly, that might be too lenient. This was a straight up assault. Over, and I'm sorry that I have to say it, practically nothing. People in here acting like what Greig did was some insidious form of unsportsmanship... but cross checks to the face are Kosher. It's beyond pathetic.

Yah admittedly I haven’t seen the Perron hit in a while. Maybe the Rielly hit is worse. I can’t remember

Yah you could definitely make an argument for hits like that being more, but based on the standard set I’d say 5 games is probably fair (and that’s maybe even on the high side).

I agree people are making a bigger deal out then they should but it’s definitely not nothing. Rielly definitely made the right call in doing something but obvhe took it way too far
LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:28 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Saskleaf
Greig knew what he was doing on this play. He was showing off and trying to rile up the leafs. And Rielly rightly went after him.

HOWEVER… a blatant cross check to the head is not acceptable under any circumstances. You can’t defend what Rielly did. I’d say he probably gets 5 games, and I think he should get 5 games.

I dont think there are many people defending Riellys response, just people defending the principle of it
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:30 p.m.

1. There is a code

There is a code, but Grieg’s choice of shot on an empty net goal is as MINOR as it gets. Probably on par with crossing red line during warm-ups…or batting a dropped glove down the ice.

NHLers and Ex-NHLers are much more likely to come down against Rielly than for him. But few will speak about, especially before suspension is announced.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:34 p.m.
mokumboi
There is a code, but Grieg’s choice of shot on an empty net goal is as MINOR as it gets. Probably on par with crossing red line during warm-ups…or batting a dropped glove down the ice.

NHLers and Ex-NHLers are much more likely to come down against Rielly than for him. But few will speak about, especially before suspension is announced.

This "code" defense nonsense is like putting someone in front of a firing squad for a parking ticket. This was the least egregious "code" violation of all time and one of the worst boohoo bunny reactions I've ever seen, if not the worst. It's overtly pathetic to take Rielly's side on this.
Feb. 11 at 1:38 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Edited Feb. 11 at 1:47 p.m.
I'm still confused with what happened with Blais - Harris.
It looked like Harris took himself down somehow before Blais hit him?

Edit: Harris was indeed falling on his own.
Feb. 11 at 1:44 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
What snowflake nonsense. Imagine thinking Greig broke a code more then Rielly did...

My side right or wrong is everything wrong with this world.

Then you don't understand what pride and respect of your opponents means to athletes... Greig's just lucky he didn't do it to Florida or Boston... But it takes guts to do that to them I guess
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:47 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

I don't think you get how sensitive some players are about respect, or you don't care enough about it...

It's not even a Leafs thing... It's a league thing... Right or wrong
Feb. 11 at 1:48 p.m.
torontos finest
it'll be 7 games

5 for the cross check and 2 for being a leaf
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:51 p.m.
Blues flames n flyers gonna just keep winning and confuse everybody who has them listed as sellers.
Feb. 11 at 1:53 p.m.
The biggest clown in all this may end up being the Leafs coach, who said after the game he supported Rielly’s actions. Call them “appropriate”.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 11 at 1:55 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: ricochetii
I'm still confused with what happened with Blais - Harris.
It looked like Harris took himself down somehow before Blais hit him?

Edit: Harris was indeed falling on his own.

He was falling and I think Blais did pull up a little, but I also think he could have avoided his head better. I would have gone double minor, but I won't argue the major much.
ricochetii liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll