SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Jan. 16 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Philly really handled stl last night. Such a solid game. Maybe pushed me into acknowledging that perhaps stl is not a bubble team, and is firmly on the outside looking in.

Assuming that stl sells, I think somebody will get a Buchnevich.

It seems wasteful to retain him into his final season if the team has no chance at improving its roster, and I don’t see the team filling the holes that Vrana and Kapanen will open up during the off-season without some pain. I’d suggest Vrana and Kapanen are available, but Vrana isn’t nhl talent and Kapanen wouldn’t maintain a roster slot on many teams, altho is nhl level talent, I’m not sure you can expect a return for his rights.

Thinking the blues can ask for a young skater to replace Buchnevich, given his extra year of term. It seems like the last 4 or so years that Doug Armstrong has routinely “been ahead of it”, whether that be offloading 5 roster skaters before the final week of last years trade deadline, or just the fact that any trade he’s made for an expiring contract always comes with the announcement of an extension (Buchnevich, Faulk, etc). He acts when he’s decided. Due to that, I’d expect him to shift sooner than later, as it’s kinda that time of the season where the choices have to start being made.

Is a shame. I feel the team is closer than it looks, but it doesn’t look like there’s ways to make adjustments due to what exists.

Blues have a wave of forward prospects coming over the next couple years however; depends on their timelines and what stopgaps they need in place. If so then they should be trying to stockpile D prospects (or picks).
Jan. 16 at 11:50 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: IconicHawk
Dickinson got a 2 year extension

Common Kyle Davidson W

All Star IMO
Jan. 16 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
How much will Pettersson extend for? I'm thinking it's going to be something like 12.5 at this point

I’ll guess I think Petterson will want to be where mackinnon is and the canucks will want him where aho is. Somewhere in between. Bumped 5% cause Canada finance. 11.9 x 8 with tons of cash benefits such as a sizable chunk paid as bonus.
Jan. 16 at 11:31 p.m.
torontos finest
this is the fourth game in a row toronto has coughed up a multigoal lead and lost
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 16 at 11:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: mondo
this is the fourth game in a row toronto has coughed up a multigoal lead and lost

Just in time to start tanking for Sam Dickinson
Jan. 16 at 11:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo

Hey Sheldon Keefe fired when?

No like seriously when

Guy cannot have a job after this kind of results in multiple games
Jan. 16 at 11:41 p.m.
I make typos
I can't believe this man, they just kept finding ways to win, 11 in a row

McLeod, and Skinner where clutch as heck
Jan. 16 at 11:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
EDM was in the dumps what they do fire Wood did people hate on it yes but what happened next

Bit of a slow start then an 11 game win streak

No trade to the core nothing just brought a new voice in

Berube's available Brad u know what to do
Jan. 17 at 12:29 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
U know what its silly to blame the coach

Lets blame the obvious guy

Nylander

Has anyone seen him since signing that deal?

Do we need to put lost posters on Milk

Must be playing as hes a -2 in 5 games rn
Jan. 17 at 12:43 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
U know what its silly to blame the coach

Lets blame the obvious guy

Nylander

Has anyone seen him since signing that deal?

Do we need to put lost posters on Milk

Must be playing as hes a -2 in 5 games rn

Nylander is notoriously inconsistent. He'll be back, and lets be honest he hasn't even been that bad lately. He's getting really unlucky, I mean how many posts has he hit in the last 2 games alone?
Jan. 17 at 12:44 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 17 at 12:50 a.m.
Nylander is notoriously inconsistent. He'll be back, and lets be honest he hasn't even been that bad lately. He's getting really unlucky, I mean how many posts has he hit in the last 2 games alone?

And its funny how he goes back to it right after signing that deal

Like right after he signs it and they beat SJS hes back to his old self

Inconsistent Willy is back. The contract fever is gone and now reality is setting in

The warning signs were there but nah the people here screamed "this is the real him pay the guy"

You wanted an OG trade and funny enough before we extended him he and OG were UFA's at end of season

Hint hint should have honestly been patient and waited till TDL

-2 these past 3 games 0 goals last 5 games since that giant deal was signed
Jan. 17 at 12:55 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
And its funny how he goes back to it right after signing that deal

Like right after he signs it and they beat SJS hes back to his old self

Inconsistent Willy is back. The contract fever is gone and now reality is setting in

The warning signs were there but nah the people here screamed "this is the real him pay the guy"

You wanted an OG trade and funny enough before we extended him he and OG were UFA's at end of season

Hint hint should have honestly been patient and waited till TDL

-2 these past 3 games 0 goals last 5 games since that giant deal was signed

Idk man this seems like an extremely revisionist take, the Leafs absolutely needed to keep Willy and I'm glad we did. The same thing will happen with Mitch. Can't win every season, I just hope the Leafs realize this early enough so we don't buy into a terrible team. Maybe this is our Avs 2017 season. Who knows, but I don't think the Leafs are as bad as their recent stretch suggests. It does show how unlucky we are, but that's the nature of the sport. Lets just see what happens next
Jan. 17 at 1:01 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 17 at 1:08 a.m.
Idk man this seems like an extremely revisionist take, the Leafs absolutely needed to keep Willy and I'm glad we did. The same thing will happen with Mitch. Can't win every season, I just hope the Leafs realize this early enough so we don't buy into a terrible team. Maybe this is our Avs 2017 season. Who knows, but I don't think the Leafs are as bad as their recent stretch suggests. It does show how unlucky we are, but that's the nature of the sport. Lets just see what happens next

I think were just trying to justify giving another guy double digits when the warning signs were there.

Should have waited.

Willy got his money and so contract fever is gone, and look at the 4 losses its the same ****

Strong first period

Other team adjusts

Second period we start to fall down a bit either being up only 1 instead of 2 or 3 or blowing the lead and being tied

Third period either blow the lead or lose it completely and the opposing team has it leading to an ENG to seal our fate

Mirror images of eachother these losses 2 for 2

Up in DET lose in the third, Up in EDM lose in the third. Multi goal lead in NYI and Avs games gone

And if were not gonna make a trade to fix this go EDM route fire the HC.

Cause really there is barely and difference to last and this years team and no im not looking after the TDL

Losing Kerfoot, Holl, Engvall, etc should not = this lul

Especially when u bring Bertuzzi and Domi in.....And Rielly is having himself the best season of his career playwise
Jan. 17 at 7:33 a.m.
Is it possible that the “success” of Vancouver buying out oel and the wild buying out suter/parise, transactions that made the buyout calculator cry, will result in more aggressive buyouts?

If so, torey krug is in danger. Tick tock mr Armstrong.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 17 at 8:07 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: oilersguy
I can't believe this man, they just kept finding ways to win, 11 in a row

McLeod, and Skinner where clutch as heck

You have to admit though, that EDM should have been on the PK about 5-6 times over in the 3rd alone
Jan. 17 at 8:41 a.m.
stop daddy it hurts
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 17 at 9:29 p.m.
Juraj Slafkovsky really doesn't look out of place playing with Suzuki and Caufield, plus he's exactly the kind of player they need on that line. Caufield has also been developing as a dual threat, he isn't scoring like you'd expect him too but he's been showing a much more complete game offensively
ricochetii and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 17 at 9:45 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Juraj Slafkovsky really doesn't look out of place playing with Suzuki and Caufield, plus he's exactly the kind of player they need on that line. Caufield has also been developing as a dual threat, he isn't scoring like you'd expect him too but he's been showing a much more complete game offensively

He did at times but he's been steadily progressing and building chemistry there. They are just getting started. Could be a more serious threat if they continue to develop together at this rate.
Jan. 17 at 11:16 p.m.
Edited Jan. 17 at 11:23 p.m.
Thinking of different types of "All-Star Team" splits and I was curious what a "Vets vs Youth" matchup would look like:

With all the old guys having great years I was curious about how the "young NHL" stacks up.

TEAM 35+
LEFT WING...CENTER.....RIGHT WING..........LEFT D.............RIGHT D......GOALIE
Marchand ...Crosby.......P. Kane...................Martinez.........Burns............Bobrovsky
Giroux..........Kopitar......Pavelski...................Suter...............Letang..........Talbot
Ovechkin......Malkin.......Zuccarello..............Giordano........Petry.............Varlamov
Foligno..........Staal..........Perron....................ME Vlasic........E Johnson.....Quick
Pacioretty........................Oshie.....................................................................Fleury

TEAM 21 & Under*
LEFT WING...CENTER......RIGHT WING.........LEFT D............RIGHT D.......GOALIE
Byfield..........Bedard.......Raymond...............Sanderson.....Faber............Dostal
McTavish......Fantilli........Jarvis......................Power.............Drysdale.......Levi
Eklund..........Carlsson....Evangelista............L. Hughes.......Mintyukov....Hofer
Slafkovsky....Beniers......Knies......................Guhle..............Jiricek............Daws
Foerster........Greig........................................................................................Schmid

*Had to use U23 for goalies as there weren't any younger with multiple starts.

Team Old guy would whoop those youngters!
Sharkie69, zk97, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 18 at 12:46 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

As a Leafs fan, I can get why it's funny to tease the Habs about Slaf being a "bust", but anyone who actually believes that rhetoric is delusional. He was a monster in the Olympics in his DY, and he has genuinely looked great this season. He was the right guy for the Habs. Honestly so jealous of your guys drafting (shoutout to NHL goal scorer Josh Roy)
ricochetii, Sharkie69 and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 18 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Thinking of different types of "All-Star Team" splits and I was curious what a "Vets vs Youth" matchup would look like:

With all the old guys having great years I was curious about how the "young NHL" stacks up.

TEAM 35+
LEFT WING...CENTER.....RIGHT WING..........LEFT D.............RIGHT D......GOALIE
Marchand ...Crosby.......P. Kane...................Martinez.........Burns............Bobrovsky
Giroux..........Kopitar......Pavelski...................Suter...............Letang..........Talbot
Ovechkin......Malkin.......Zuccarello..............Giordano........Petry.............Varlamov
Foligno..........Staal..........Perron....................ME Vlasic........E Johnson.....Quick
Pacioretty........................Oshie.....................................................................Fleury

TEAM 21 & Under*
LEFT WING...CENTER......RIGHT WING.........LEFT D............RIGHT D.......GOALIE
Byfield..........Bedard.......Raymond...............Sanderson.....Faber............Dostal
McTavish......Fantilli........Jarvis......................Power.............Drysdale.......Levi
Eklund..........Carlsson....Evangelista............L. Hughes.......Mintyukov....Hofer
Slafkovsky....Beniers......Knies......................Guhle..............Jiricek............Daws
Foerster........Greig........................................................................................Schmid

*Had to use U23 for goalies as there weren't any younger with multiple starts.

Team Old guy would whoop those youngters!

I don’t know…the old guy blueline needs a little giddyup
A_Habs_fan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 18 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I don’t know…the old guy blueline needs a little giddyup

yeah the left side is especially weak; but the defensive awareness of the forwards and the high level depth in goal more than offset that.
Jan. 18 at 9:51 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Tippett just had a top tier goal

Spin-o-rama into a backhand around the hashmark on the inner side of the left circle. Then he shelfed it on Otter
Jan. 18 at 9:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Tippett just had a top tier goal

Spin-o-rama into a backhand around the hashmark on the inner side of the left circle. Then he shelfed it on Otter

Nice! Kid's something special
Jan. 18 at 10:34 p.m.
torontos finest
oh boy, toronto maple leafs hockey franchise currently has a two goal lead in a hockey game!

i sure hope the opposing team does not tie and win the game, that would be ludicrous!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll