SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 11 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I don't think you get how sensitive some players are about respect, or you don't care enough about it...

It's not even a Leafs thing... It's a league thing... Right or wrong

I hear you. Many players deeply respect the game and value sportsmanship. Which is why they will support a lengthy suspension for Rielly.
Feb. 11 at 1:57 p.m.
mokumboi
Then you don't understand what pride and respect of your opponents means to athletes... Greig's just lucky he didn't do it to Florida or Boston... But it takes guts to do that to them I guess

Oh give over already. This is embarrassing. Bunch of people need to go to group therapy or something. Firing squad for a parking ticket. Because WAH. Embarrassing.
Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I hear you. Many players deeply respect the game and value sportsmanship. Which is why they will support a lengthy suspension for Rielly.

That's just not how it works...

Rielly did what he did bc Greig violated code in a pretty cool and mellow game... Look at Giroux's post game presser, he didn't condemn Rielly... Even Marc Methot (known Leaf hater) said he loved what Rielly did...
Feb. 11 at 2:01 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi
Oh give over already. This is embarrassing. Bunch of people need to go to group therapy or something. Firing squad for a parking ticket. Because WAH. Embarrassing.

I find it hilarious how you and your fellow trolls are running out of angles to try and fit your narrative...

Please, give it a break... Historical comps, Where the principal contact was made, Hockey code and other support that Rielly shouldn't be suspended more than 2 games...
Feb. 11 at 2:07 p.m.
torontos finest
I find it hilarious how you and your fellow trolls are running out of angles to try and fit your narrative...

Please, give it a break... Historical comps, Where the principal contact was made, Hockey code and other support that Rielly shouldn't be suspended more than 2 games...

he's getting at least five because you don't want to set a precedent that it's okay to cross check some goober in the back of the head if he slapshots an empty netter. if chabot did this on robertson or someone i'd also want them to get at least five games.
Feb. 11 at 2:08 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mondo
he's getting at least five because you don't want to set a precedent that it's okay to cross check some goober in the back of the head if he slapshots an empty netter. if chabot did this on robertson or someone i'd also want them to get at least five games.

I wouldn't... I'd be saying exactly what I'm saying now, and Keefe would be too, Robertson not to do that next time

Historically speaking, Rielly shouldn't get more than 2... But Parros has always given the Leafs more than they should so IDK what it will be
Feb. 11 at 2:13 p.m.
That's just not how it works...

Rielly did what he did bc Greig violated code in a pretty cool and mellow game... Look at Giroux's post game presser, he didn't condemn Rielly... Even Marc Methot (known Leaf hater) said he loved what Rielly did...

Grieg’s choice of shot is borderline…most players without fragile egos or violent tempers wouldn’t give two hoots about it.

And I think you are taking the ‘code’ thing a bit too far here.

If someone shoots a puck into warmup area, shoot it back. If someone kicks a dropped glove down the ice, give him some words. If someone sprays a goalie, push him away. If someone winds up on empty netter, tell him it will be remembered in next game or if needed, challenge him to drop the mitts. Anything else just makes one look like sore loser.
Feb. 11 at 2:19 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Grieg’s choice of shot is borderline…most players without fragile egos or violent tempers wouldn’t give two hoots about it.

And I think you are taking the ‘code’ thing a bit too far here.

If someone shoots a puck into warmup area, shoot it back. If someone kicks a dropped glove down the ice, give him some words. If someone sprays a goalie, push him away. If someone winds up on empty netter, tell him it will be remembered in next game or if needed, challenge him to drop the mitts. Anything else just makes one look like sore loser.

Because that slap on the wrist will really do something...

I've seen NHL and non NHL player do more for less... Sam Bennett, Erik Gudbranson, anyone?
Feb. 11 at 2:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
it'll be 7 games

5 for the cross check and 2 for being a leaf

Nah more like should be 2 but leaf tax be 4 games this time

Parros really has a hard-on for Leafs players and first time offences

Matthews 2 games when we saw 5k fines and one games left and right.

Spezza 6 games when we saw 2-3 games for similar. Got reduced to 4 I believe

Now Rielly gonna get 6 when repeat offenders got 3-4

Parros really don't got a standard besides his leafs tax
Feb. 11 at 2:24 p.m.
The biggest clown in all this may end up being the Leafs coach, who said after the game he supported Rielly’s actions. Call them “appropriate”.

I’m on his side for sure.

The players define what they want. It’s their league.

The reason that mutual respect must be given is:

When at extreme competition, hockey is extreme risk. It’s 6’3’’ 220lb dude with a 7 foot stick going way faster than running and there’s no cushion. Any given play one player can end another players career.

Due to the extreme risk, a certain amount of respect has to occur. Due to this extreme risk - it is the players who get to decide.

Not the fans. Not the league.

We don’t have the perspective to understand “why”. We aren’t risking anything. Whatever they choose as the standards of this is what it is. No suspension to Reilly will deter anybody else from responding in cases like this. It happens in all sport at the extremes.
Feb. 11 at 2:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Meanwhile Wilson got a 5k fine for Ragdolling and beating Panarin

Good old Parros am I right
Feb. 11 at 2:30 p.m.
They have offered an in-person hearing, which means Rielly is (a) currently suspended and (b) it’s likely 6+ games.

So the argument is not whether he gets 1-2 games vs a fine…it’s whether he gets 6-7 games vs the Dale Hunter punishment.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 11 at 2:33 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
They have offered an in-person hearing, which means Rielly is (a) currently suspended and (b) it’s likely 6+ games.

So the argument is not whether he gets 1-2 games vs a fine…it’s whether he gets 6-7 games vs the Dale Hunter punishment.

5 works for me, ngl.
popcorn
Feb. 11 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’m on his side for sure.

The players define what they want. It’s their league.

The reason that mutual respect must be given is:

When at extreme competition, hockey is extreme risk. It’s 6’3’’ 220lb dude with a 7 foot stick going way faster than running and there’s no cushion. Any given play one player can end another players career.

Due to the extreme risk, a certain amount of respect has to occur. Due to this extreme risk - it is the players who get to decide.

Not the fans. Not the league.

We don’t have the perspective to understand “why”. We aren’t risking anything. Whatever they choose as the standards of this is what it is. No suspension to Reilly will deter anybody else from responding in cases like this. It happens in all sport at the extremes.

I see it the opposite way. Grieg’s actions put no one at risk. It wasn’t a slap shot on unsuspecting goalie after the whistle. It wasn’t a late hit or a slewfoot. It’s an empty net and how he delivers the puck puts nothing or no one at risk.

Balance is not kept though disproportionate responses. If anything, you put your teammates at risk by escalating.
mokumboi, CantStopWontStop, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 11 at 2:44 p.m.
They were all head-oriented plays, most outside of plays...

Second, Greig fell as soon as contact was made, a lot like another Sens player during a different play...

Third, Rielly kept hockey code...

You notice how all the NHL and ex-NHL players are on Rielly's side? And the media's on Greig's... Funny eh? And guess what Parros is? An ex-NHLer, specifically one that ensure NHL code was kept

I side with the ex-NHLers especially considering Greig wasn't hurt and knew what he did

So if you side with the ex-NHLers does that mean you’ll side with Parros when he determines how long the suspension will be?
Feb. 11 at 2:48 p.m.
mokumboi

tears of joy

So much projection you should work at the cinema. Btw what's the historical comp for an unprovoked two hand cross check to the head?
Feb. 11 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Nah more like should be 2 but leaf tax be 4 games this time

Parros really has a hard-on for Leafs players and first time offences

Matthews 2 games when we saw 5k fines and one games left and right.

Spezza 6 games when we saw 2-3 games for similar. Got reduced to 4 I believe

Now Rielly gonna get 6 when repeat offenders got 3-4

Parros really don't got a standard besides his leafs tax

Perron is the closest comparable for Rielly. He got 6 games with no prior suspension history. That’s what Rielly should get
mokumboi and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 11 at 2:54 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Feb. 11 at 3:06 p.m.
Hoglander w/ a filthy, sick mitts backhander on Kuemper...
Vancouver Canucks 2
Washington Capitals 2

Demko w/ the KICKSAVE later - probably will need to leave to get that limb stitched back on (just joking)
Whadda 10-bell save...
Feb. 11 at 3:38 p.m.
WentWughes
Getting smoked, and losing 2 of our young defensemen in the same game... brutal
Feb. 11 at 3:38 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

On top of getting smoked yesterday and losing RHP for the rest of the season yesterday. This has been a horrible weekend
Feb. 11 at 3:43 p.m.
WentWughes
On top of getting smoked yesterday and losing RHP for the rest of the season yesterday. This has been a horrible weekend

On the bright side, maybe we see Mailloux coming up?
Feb. 11 at 3:52 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mv21227
So if you side with the ex-NHLers does that mean you’ll side with Parros when he determines how long the suspension will be?

Based on his historical comps, yes...

And the SN panel, Methot, Giroux's PG comments, Keefe, Tavares and others either have stayed neutral or have liked Rielly's response
Feb. 11 at 3:56 p.m.
Torey Krug with the rare 5 secondary assist game
Feb. 11 at 3:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi
tears of joy

So much projection you should work at the cinema. Btw what's the historical comp for an unprovoked two hand cross check to the head?

I see you didn't watch any of the video's

But as you wish, The best one is:

Tom Wilson on Artemi Panarin AND Pavel Buchnevich - 1 game suspension and a $5 000 fine on May 3rd, 2021

Here's the link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/brawl-ensues-wilson-crosschecks-buchnevich-body-slams-panarin/

And:

Jaco Trouba on Trent Fredric - $5 000 fine on November 23rd, 2023

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuAXPRrOnfs
Feb. 11 at 3:58 p.m.

I feel you…Devils have had a few of those this year.

I saw Harris, who else was hurt?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll