SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 13 at 8:45 p.m.
Bedard23
Rielly got 5 games

Totally fair if that’s what Perron got
Rolfadinho liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Rielly got 5 games

Totally fair if that’s what Perron got

Perron got 6
Feb. 13 at 9:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Perron and Rielly have set the bar

If DOPS gives anyone 1-3 games for similar playz oh boy they gonna get it
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:15 p.m.
Go leafs go
I mean, I said 5 games (you can check my post history lol)
And I don’t have any problem with 5 games. Though I can completely agree with anyone saying “the DOPS needs to be more consistent”
Feb. 13 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

Yep. 5-6 games for those type of hits is fair.

In other news, the LA Kings are playing like hot trash tonight.
Feb. 13 at 9:22 p.m.
Bedard23
Perron got 6

We’re not going to make a deal out of one game
Feb. 13 at 9:25 p.m.
Amirov Forever
@mokumboi You've just been Bobby McMann'd
CantStopWontStop and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No JT, No Marner, No Rielly

NO PROBLEM

Say hello to McMann
Feb. 14 at 1:35 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
mokumboi You've just been Bobby McMann'd

True dat. Winning seven of eight and then inexplicably not showing up against a shorthanded team - welcome to Blues hockey!
Feb. 14 at 7:45 a.m.
With Nick Suzuki currently riding an 8-game point streak and Cole Caufield's 11-game streak, this season marks the first time since 1995-96 that multiple Habs players recorded an 8-game point streak in the same season. The Habs haven't had amazing offensive talent for decades

(Btw Nick Suzuki, quietly has 51 points in 53 games, nearly a point per game player)
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 7:58 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NHLfan10506
So who is the poor unsuspecting Blues player that pays for Ridly Grieg’s crimes?

Ridley Greig already did...
Feb. 14 at 7:59 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi
True dat. Winning seven of eight and then inexplicably not showing up against a shorthanded team - welcome to Blues hockey!

I noticed you had a typo there... For some reason Leafs turned to Blues
Feb. 14 at 8:17 a.m.
Our first period was so bad. Seemed like every pass was a bouncing puck - but not like an ice complaint, just bad roll of the dice a dozen times at crucial moments.

But stl is still effectively 3 defensemen short right now. Consistency will be impossible.

As a blues fan, it was nice to see the leafs play the style they did. That will help our team.
Feb. 14 at 9:45 a.m.
mokumboi

Ha! It's cute that you think the DoPE has any bar or measures for anything. They just blindfold throw mortadella against a wall where they'd painted boxes with numbers.
Feb. 14 at 12:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Its pretty funny how if what Dreger says is true DOPS got some explaining to do

As if they leaked Rielly's suspension before he or the Leafs organization even were told or knew thats not a good look for them or Parros

Protocols be there for a reason lul
Feb. 14 at 1:39 p.m.
Potentially major lawsuit filed in New York as an anti-trust case against NHL and CHL acting as a "cartel" that exploits teenage hockey players and colludes to restrain competition.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit-nhl-major-junior-hockey-154100313.html
ricochetii liked this.
Feb. 14 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Potentially major lawsuit filed in New York as an anti-trust case against NHL and CHL acting as a "cartel" that exploits teenage hockey players and colludes to restrain competition.

I have to assume all CHL leagues are based in Canada so I don't think an American court would have the jurisdiction to tell the CHL to do anything, they could however, force the NHL's hand
Feb. 14 at 3:19 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I have to assume all CHL leagues are based in Canada so I don't think an American court would have the jurisdiction to tell the CHL to do anything, they could however, force the NHL's hand

If they get a judgement in Canadian court, sometimes they could file with US court to honor that judgement. Not sure how other way around. But there is a long history of anti-trust lawsuits against pro leagues in US. Most don’t get far. Sometimes the extract some concessions from league. I dont know anything about this case though.
Feb. 14 at 4:18 p.m.
Mike Richter Award semifinalists (top goalie in NCAA)

- Trey Augustine, Michigan State (DET)
- Ryan Bischel, Notre Dame
- Justen Close, Minnesota
- Vinny Duplessis, Quinnipiac
- Jacob Fowler, Boston College (MTL)
- Kaidan Mbereko, Colorado College
- Kyle McClellan, Wisconsin
- Tommy Scarfone, RIT
- Ian Shane, Cornell
- Jake Sibell, St. Thomas

Augustine and Fowler are first-years.
Bischel will probably be most sought-after free agent.
McClellan is probably front runner
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 5:05 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

9 out of 60 CHL teams are in the US
Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 5:59 p.m.
Edited Feb. 14 at 8:21 p.m.
One interesting challenge from the anti trust suit is the entry level slide.

“According to Plaintiffs' allegations, the NHL participates in this conspiracy by, among other things, making annual multi-million-dollar payments to major junior hockey that are contingent on an agreement to preserve this exploitative system. Plaintiffs further allege that NHL clubs have agreed to pay large sums of cash to major junior clubs for the rights to their players who sign NHL contracts at 18 or 19, but further agree to assign these players back to their former major junior clubs if they do not make their opening day roster, which allows NHL clubs to avoid paying these draftees higher salaries while at the same time avoiding the loss of a year on their entry-level contracts.”

The NHL itself is not worth all that much.

I think it’s jacked up that they slide contracts, which pushes ufa a year away - thus impacting all career earnings, while simultaneously preventing those skaters from joining the AHL or being made available to the nhl club anytime they want.

Shane Wright shouldn’t have needed an exemption. A pro (person who signed pro contract) should go to the development league most suited for the individuals development. No permission slips needed.
Feb. 14 at 6:21 p.m.
9 out of 60 CHL teams are in the US

Not what I’m talking about, what I meant was all CHL leagues (CHL itself, OHL, WHL and QMJHL) are likely incorporated in Canada and as such should theoretically only be available to be sued in Canadian courts due to being in Canadian jurisdiction
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 14 at 7:45 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Flyers named Sean Couturier Captain, and Travis Konecny got an A

wagon?
Feb. 14 at 8:01 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Basically they want to be paid and be able to choose to play with a team other than the one that drafted them, even if that's another league, and/or be able to negotiate between teams other than the one which drafted them.

These are not professional leagues, they are development leagues. They provide ice time, facilities, training, and development. Participation is voluntary.
In exchange, you have to participate in drafting/trading which is intended to balance and maintain the competitive environment necessary for proper development and evaluation.
Drafting and trading are critical elements of the sport.
If you don't like this particular path to the NHL, there are others. You can go NCAA, amateur leagues in NA, or professional leagues in Europe.
You can even work at Costco and earn a tryout after going undrafted.

The only thing reasonable they might be able to request, is a bump in their allowance.
Maybe they get an additional stipend if they are forced to relocate (trade/drafted out of state/province).
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 14 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Basically they want to be paid and be able to choose to play with a team other than the one that drafted them, even if that's another league, and/or be able to negotiate between teams other than the one which drafted them.

These are not professional leagues, they are development leagues. They provide ice time, facilities, training, and development. Participation is voluntary.
In exchange, you have to participate in drafting/trading which is intended to balance and maintain the competitive environment necessary for proper development and evaluation.
Drafting and trading are critical elements of the sport.
If you don't like this particular path to the NHL, there are others. You can go NCAA, amateur leagues in NA, or professional leagues in Europe.
You can even work at Costco and earn a tryout after going undrafted.

The only thing reasonable they might be able to request, is a bump in their allowance.
Maybe they get an additional stipend if they are forced to relocate (trade/drafted out of state/province).

If i remember correctly, most CHL players are paid pennies and don’t actually really get help in post-secondary schooling (though this is the wrong way to go about changing that). I also wouldn’t call the CHL a development league, it does have some of those aspects but at the end of the day, that league is there to make the owners money, they don’t necessarily care about developing the kids (though everyone in those leagues are arguably kids). The lawsuit does bring up some valid points, mainly that your rights are owned by the CHL that drafted you for basically your whole period of age eligibility for the CHL so teams can hold your rights hostage if they wanted to
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll