Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2024
Published: Jan. 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
STL
  1. Tkachuk, Brady
Additional Details:
If Ottawa really wants to shake things up Buch could add a veteran star.

I think the Blues would be all over Tkachuk if he becomes available.
OTT
  1. Bolduc, Zachary
  2. Buchnevich, Pavel
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
STL
  1. Kakko, Kaapo
Additional Details:
It's reported by Frank Seravalli https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/daily-faceoffs-2023-24-nhl-trade-targets:
Kevin Hayes could have good value if the Blues retain 50%

I don't think Kakko is a part of the Rangers future especially with other prospects ready to graduate from their farm system. This deal also saves them a little bit of money which would help their cap situation at the TDL.

Just a thought. Maybe an overpay but still I can't imagine Kakko has very high value right now.
NYR
  1. Hayes, Kevin ($1,785,714 retained)
STL
  1. Texier, Alexandre
Additional Details:
Blues get younger and faster. Columbus gets more veteran experience for their rebuild and a familiar face in Saad.
STL
  1. Luostarinen, Eetu
Additional Details:
A swap of struggling pending UFA?
FLA
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi ($1,600,000 retained)
STL
  1. Clifton, Connor
  2. Östlund, Noah
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
I'm not sure the value of Faulk but I think the emergence of Kessel has made Faulk expendable.

Buffalo seems like a good fit for him as they really need a veteran top 4 defender and Faulk could play with Power and form a dominant top 4 for Buffalo.

Buffalo has the prospects and picks to give so this trade doesn't hurt them in that sense. I know fans won't be happy about Ostlund being in the deal but in all seriousness does he have a spot at center for Buffalo in the future? Or even at wing with their insanely deep prospect pool?
STL
  1. 2024 4th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Anywhere. Scandella has been playing good this year and would look nice in any contending teams bottom 4.
TOR
  1. Scandella, Marco ($1,637,500 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$77,768,511$20,000$0$5,731,489
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the New York Rangers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$816,667$816,667
C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$883,750$883,750
RD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 11 at 6:36 p.m.
KFTW
Ottawa isn’t doing that . Buchnevich is too old and requires an expensive contract
Jan. 11 at 6:36 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Jackets get older for their rebuild...
Jan. 11 at 6:37 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
Jackets get older for their rebuild...

Having vets is important for a rebuild. Makes sure prospects don't get rushed into the NHL and gives some leadership to the team.
Jan. 11 at 6:41 p.m.
not a he )
Saad and Columbus both decline.
Jan. 11 at 6:44 p.m.
Re: the buf trade, to answer it in order:

1. He's not really a good fit. I know blues fans like him or whatever, but he's old, expensive and his defensive metrics aren't good. All 3 are the opposite of what the sabres need, having committed nearly 25 mil to 3 guys long term

2. Power and faulk would be a bad fit together. Style wise they don't match up at all. Ryan Johnson might not have the experience but he at least seems like a guy who can keep up going forward, he's their best bet for that pairing.

3. Yes Ostlund has a future with the Sabres at the centre position. Krebs hasn't worked out. He might still, but he hasn't yet. Cozens has also spent time at wing, and mittelstadt may end up moving their long term if he sticks with the Sabres. Point being I think there's a spot for Ostlund and they seem pretty high on him

4. Adding this one because it's worth mentioning: There's probably a negative 20% chance Faulk waives for Buffalo.
Jan. 11 at 6:46 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: BluesReport18
Having vets is important for a rebuild. Makes sure prospects don't get rushed into the NHL and gives some leadership to the team.

Sounds like role Texier would be fine for and cost less in than Saad.
Jan. 11 at 6:51 p.m.
I like Buchnevich, but that's not even close for Brady imo. Would need to not make sense for the other team for it to make sense for Ottawa.

I would definitely be interested in Kevin Hayes at 50% retained though. Big body veteran that Ottawa's looking for, and bonus points for being Brady's cousin.
csick liked this.
Jan. 11 at 7:07 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I like Buchnevich, but that's not even close for Brady imo. Would need to not make sense for the other team for it to make sense for Ottawa.

I would definitely be interested in Kevin Hayes at 50% retained though. Big body veteran that Ottawa's looking for, and bonus points for being Brady's cousin.

As a throw in maybe . But the deal starts with Kyrou + otherwise Sens don’t answer the phone
Jan. 11 at 7:40 p.m.
Quoting: Stadel
Re: the buf trade, to answer it in order:

1. He's not really a good fit. I know blues fans like him or whatever, but he's old, expensive and his defensive metrics aren't good. All 3 are the opposite of what the sabres need, having committed nearly 25 mil to 3 guys long term

2. Power and faulk would be a bad fit together. Style wise they don't match up at all. Ryan Johnson might not have the experience but he at least seems like a guy who can keep up going forward, he's their best bet for that pairing.

3. Yes Ostlund has a future with the Sabres at the centre position. Krebs hasn't worked out. He might still, but he hasn't yet. Cozens has also spent time at wing, and mittelstadt may end up moving their long term if he sticks with the Sabres. Point being I think there's a spot for Ostlund and they seem pretty high on him

4. Adding this one because it's worth mentioning: There's probably a negative 20% chance Faulk waives for Buffalo.

You are pretty correct. However, metrics alone are pretty team dependent and most of the Blues metrics are very wonky comparative to results due to inconsistent forward play, as well as extreme usage of our first two pairs. Paraykos metrics will never be to great because he legitimately plays every shift against top competition, whereas the Faulk/Krug pair is put pretty much solely in offensive situations/easier matchup d zone starts.

But in general, Faulks defense isn’t great, he and Krug as a pair don’t really help it though. He is physically capable and does exert himself physically, but he has some brain gaffes at times.
Jan. 11 at 7:42 p.m.
Easy NOPE from the Rangers.
Jan. 11 at 7:44 p.m.
Quoting: csick
As a throw in maybe . But the deal starts with Kyrou + otherwise Sens don’t answer the phone

Not sure there is a throw in if it starts with Kyrou. They produce fairly similarly. Brady hasn’t shown the ability to have the impact Matthew does yet. And Kyrou carries the same cap hit for 4 additional years.
Jan. 11 at 8:23 p.m.
Quoting: BluesReport18

So instead of rushing those prospects, trade ‘em
Jan. 11 at 8:59 p.m.
Quoting: AC14
Not sure there is a throw in if it starts with Kyrou. They produce fairly similarly. Brady hasn’t shown the ability to have the impact Matthew does yet. And Kyrou carries the same cap hit for 4 additional years.

Just stop - the Blues would gladly add on top of Kyrou (and significantly) to get Brady. You can like your guys, but too many Blues fans in here are way too bias when it comes to our team…

Quoting: csick
csick liked this.
Jan. 11 at 9:09 p.m.
Quoting: noted
Just stop - the Blues would gladly add on top of Kyrou (and significantly) to get Brady. You can like your guys, but too many Blues fans in here are way too bias when it comes to our team…

Why would we exactly? What’s the benefit? The only difference is playstyle and a couple of years. But generally with years you’re doing so because of team control. Team control is non existent here given the contract length Brady signed to.

He’s going to go into UFA at 29. He’s going to get a massive payday. Meanwhile Kyrou will still be at 8m AAV for 3 more years.

I’d like Brady just as much as the next guy. But adding on to Kyrou in a significant way makes very little sense. We need to add to the top line on complimentary lines. Our top line has been extremely good.
mokumboi liked this.
Jan. 11 at 9:54 p.m.
Why would we exactly? What’s the benefit? The only difference is playstyle and a couple of years. But generally with years you’re doing so because of team control. Team control is non existent here given the contract length Brady signed to.

He’s going to go into UFA at 29. He’s going to get a massive payday. Meanwhile Kyrou will still be at 8m AAV for 3 more years.

I’d like Brady just as much as the next guy. But adding on to Kyrou in a significant way makes very little sense. We need to add to the top line on complimentary lines. Our top line has been extremely good.

Brady is the type of player that will kill it in the playoffs when he gets there. He’d be the face of the franchise if Blues ever got him. He’d be much more valuable to the franchise on and off the ice. It’s not going to happen though so it doesn’t matter. I do think there is a non zero chance the Blues trade Kyrou before his no trade kicks in on July 1 though
Jan. 11 at 11:55 p.m.
mokumboi
I'm confused about "the emergence of Kessel" - at absolute best, he's been "do no harm". He's had some very shaky moments out there. When Krug is bailing you out, it's not so good. In no way, has Kessel "emerged" to the point we can start shedding a top 4 RD.
AC14 liked this.
Jan. 12 at 1:14 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
I'm confused about "the emergence of Kessel" - at absolute best, he's been "do no harm". He's had some very shaky moments out there. When Krug is bailing you out, it's not so good. In no way, has Kessel "emerged" to the point we can start shedding a top 4 RD.

He's been surprisingly serviceable. Don't notice him too much which isn't terrible. But still to move on from a top 4 guy because Kessel hasn't been in over his head for 5 games is a wildlishly dumb move.
mokumboi and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 12 at 1:17 a.m.
Brady is the type of player that will kill it in the playoffs when he gets there. He’d be the face of the franchise if Blues ever got him. He’d be much more valuable to the franchise on and off the ice. It’s not going to happen though so it doesn’t matter. I do think there is a non zero chance the Blues trade Kyrou before his no trade kicks in on July 1 though

He'd be more valuable to the franchise in terms of marketing, which is why i think they would pull the trigger. There isn't a specific type of player that does great in the playoffs. Another playoff hero Brandon Saad seems borderline unmovable. Regardless you gotta get there first and paying Kyrou 8.2m for 8 years may just help you achieve that for a longer time frame than paying Brady 8.2 for 5 and then in a perfect world north of 10 for 8 years into his late 30s after that because it worked out well.

Would i move them 1-1 if I'm Armstrong and ownership? Yeah probably, but I'm not sure it's the smartest decision and it's certainly a tough one to make.

For all of Kyrou's shortcomings early in the year he's still a PPG player who is an absolute elite rush threat. That shouldn't be overlooked because Brady is a Tkachuk and is a bigger player.
Jan. 12 at 2:20 a.m.
mokumboi

For all of Kyrou's shortcomings early in the year he's still a PPG player who is an absolute elite rush threat. That shouldn't be overlooked because Brady is a Tkachuk and is a bigger player.

Kyrou has been much more attentive defensively this season. His largest issue this season is an outlier career low shooting pct. Hopefully, tonight's wicked display sparks him into moving back closer to his career norm.
AC14 liked this.
Jan. 12 at 3:54 a.m.
Kyrou has been much more attentive defensively this season. His largest issue this season is an outlier career low shooting pct. Hopefully, tonight's wicked display sparks him into moving back closer to his career norm.

Agreed, he’s been much more active backchecking. He still seems to lose the puck every once in a while on the rush from over stick handling. But there are maybe 5 players in the game that could have gotten to the points he gets to when he does make the error. The lazy backchecking was the biggest frustration with him last year
Jan. 12 at 9:24 a.m.

Agreed, he’s been much more active backchecking. He still seems to lose the puck every once in a while on the rush from over stick handling. But there are maybe 5 players in the game that could have gotten to the points he gets to when he does make the error. The lazy backchecking was the biggest frustration with him last year

Kyrou will most likely reach a ppg by the end of the season. Lets not forget that the people in this chat who are gun ho to trade Kyrou for Tkachuk are the same people who were booing him and trying to trade him for spareparts, because he "got" Berube fired.
gretzkyghosts and mokumboi liked this.
Jan. 12 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: BDHockey
Kyrou will most likely reach a ppg by the end of the season. Lets not forget that the people in this chat who are gun ho to trade Kyrou for Tkachuk are the same people who were booing him and trying to trade him for spareparts, because he "got" Berube fired.

No one was ever trying to trade him for spare parts. He also doesn’t have a NTC until July so we’ll see.
Jan. 12 at 5:55 p.m.
No one was ever trying to trade him for spare parts. He also doesn’t have a NTC until July so we’ll see.

I mean somebody was going to trade him for two pending UFAs
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/782950
Jan. 12 at 10:31 p.m.
I i
Jan. 12 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: BDHockey
I mean somebody was going to trade him for two pending UFAs
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/782950

It said both sign in the notes so ya- would still do that…

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll