SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 6 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Tarasenko has fired 4 agents in 24 months.

He is waiving his ntc for a future contract.

As predicted, he was super cheap to any team who would do that.

I’d predict he’s a panther for 3-4 more years.

Think of it like this:

It’s kinda hard to sign tarasenko if signing him means you have to pay a first round pick. Nobody would do that.

He had to be cheap to get what he wanted. Thus fully using the full ntc. If he’d only waive for 1 team, it’s a take it or leave it situation. Even if there’s no deal in Florida, he gets to be on the absolute premium team to show himself off.

Whats the difference between this and hanafin to tampa? This is the worst trade I've seen but its cause of tarasenko's NTC. Hanafin only has an 8 team no trade list but pat brisson and hanafin are having temper tantrums and telling teams no when they've got permission and publicly through insiders. I could see the hanafin return being underwhelming now that Florida's out, if boston gets lindholm they're probably out then theres detroit.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:26 p.m.

Think of it like this:

It’s kinda hard to sign tarasenko if signing him means you have to pay a first round pick. Nobody would do that.

He had to be cheap to get what he wanted. Thus fully using the full ntc. If he’d only waive for 1 team, it’s a take it or leave it situation. Even if there’s no deal in Florida, he gets to be on the absolute premium team to show himself off.

Only waiving for a team that's willing to re-sign him makes the most sense. He had roughly the same production last year and, with a NTC, netted roughly a late 1st depending on how much you value Mikkola in that deal. Didn't seem too happy that NYR didn't re-sign him so he probably flexed that NTC more this time round
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: HelmutCool
With what capspace woyld florida sign him?
They are trouble in the summer anyhow... Montour, lundell, reinhart.

For defensemen, it has already been accepted that we are losing one of Montour, Ekblad (trade), or Forsling. Forsling is most likely coming back barring the inability for a deal to be reached, so either Montour walks or Ekblad gets traded.

As for forwards, unless Tarasenko signs long term, I expect him to just be around for this cup run. I expect Lundell & Reinhart to get new contracts.
HelmutCool liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:27 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Think of it like this:

This had to have been a deal between the player and team. Maybe Tarasenko committed to coming back to Ottawa as a free agent or he signed under the condition they trade him to his destination of choice if the time came.
Otherwise, while the "something is better than nothing" might be a factor, a new GM selling that low on a player is bad business. He's setting a pretty low bar for future negotiations.
If all Florida was offering was a 3rd and 4th, I would have waited until the deadline for them to make a better offer or simply kept the player. I'd rather lose out on the 3rd than help a team that lowballed me.
Mar. 6 at 12:30 p.m.
Edited Mar. 6 at 12:55 p.m.
With what capspace woyld florida sign him?
They are trouble in the summer anyhow... Montour, lundell, reinhart.

I think he’s probably interested in term, and for his age, the next 4 years at Florida rates is maybe 3.5-4 AAV? Get crazy and 5 years at right around 3-3.3? Maybe even lower? His Aav may get really low relative to expectations in exchange for an extra year beyond what would be comfortable. Him fitting in with the group is the last straw.

I think if Tarasenko didn’t care about getting signed in Florida, he’d have just waived for any legit contender, resulting in his cost being more natural. The discount is part of the deal.
Mar. 6 at 12:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 6 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
guess rentals are only worth a first if it's toronto

Many teams spend 1sts for rentals its not just us lul

BOS, FLA, AVS, TBL to name some

Basically if your a big contender with not a tonne of cap teams take advantage.
Mar. 6 at 12:32 p.m.
Kansler
Quoting: Rolfadinho
For defensemen, it has already been accepted that we are losing one of Montour, Ekblad (trade), or Forsling. Forsling is most likely coming back barring the inability for a deal to be reached, so either Montour walks or Ekblad gets traded.

As for forwards, unless Tarasenko signs long term, I expect him to just be around for this cup run. I expect Lundell & Reinhart to get new contracts.

If you manage to get through summer signing montour,forsling,reinhart and lundell its a great summer.

But does Ekblad have takers at 7.5?
Mar. 6 at 12:36 p.m.
If you manage to get through summer signing montour,forsling,reinhart and lundell its a great summer.

But does Ekblad have takers at 7.5?

For 1 year left, maybe. Thank god I’m not the one that needs to address that though. I trust Bill Zito to make the right moves though at this point.
Mar. 6 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
This had to have been a deal between the player and team. Maybe Tarasenko committed to coming back to Ottawa as a free agent or he signed under the condition they trade him to his destination of choice if the time came.
Otherwise, while the "something is better than nothing" might be a factor, a new GM selling that low on a player is bad business. He's setting a pretty low bar for future negotiations.
If all Florida was offering was a 3rd and 4th, I would have waited until the deadline for them to make a better offer or simply kept the player. I'd rather lose out on the 3rd than help a team that lowballed me.

Doesn't need any kind of deal really. He has a NTC and can basically say he'll only waive for FLA and he's not re-signing in OTT. Nothing Ottawa can do at that point and a 3rd is probably just enough value to take the loss and swallow their pride. He got his NTC and he used it
Mar. 6 at 12:52 p.m.
The real question is

Can the hard salary cap persist while markets are so unbalanced.

They can’t change the markets. They can change the cap.

There are more on the outside than on the inside. The squeaky wheel will also be the largest wheel.
Mar. 6 at 1:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 6 at 1:16 p.m.
The real question is

Can the hard salary cap persist while markets are so unbalanced.

They can’t change the markets. They can change the cap.

There are more on the outside than on the inside. The squeaky wheel will also be the largest wheel.

Caps going up next year so its gonna keep going. Its stops the strong from getting OP and the weak from getting weaker

Covid caused some issues but forced teams to get creative

If Covid never happened cap would probs be 100m rn and we would be seeing more double digit extensions and more trades
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 6 at 1:18 p.m.
torontos finest
Henrique being linked to Edmonton.

Brad Breliving asleep.
Mar. 6 at 1:18 p.m.
Tarasenko is a good fit for Florida because they can shelter him and utilize his strengths because of how stacked at forward they are
Mar. 6 at 1:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Brad Breliving asleep.

Judging a GM on the trades they don't make before the deadline is over seems kind of counterintuitive
Mar. 6 at 1:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Apparently the Oilers are getting close to getting Adam Henrique and another former Leaf in Sam Carrick to add to their collection
Mar. 6 at 1:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Brad Breliving asleep.

I mean do you want him to spend a 1st for a rental?

Thought we disliked that lul
Mar. 6 at 1:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Apparently the Oilers are getting close to getting Adam Henrique and another former Leaf in Sam Carrick to add to their collection

I got a feeling Foegele would go the other way in that deal. But to me I dont get why they going for another Center when they got

Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, Mcleod, etc
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 1:27 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
I got a feeling Foegele would go the other way in that deal. But to me I dont get why they going for another Center when they got

Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, Mcleod, etc

Foegele does seem like a player the Ducks would covet. It would be very funny if they traded Broberg for Henrique
Mar. 6 at 1:27 p.m.
Lou lamoriello is sick rn
Mar. 6 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Foegele does seem like a player the Ducks would covet

They make sense as then if they decide to flip Foegele for assets they can and ret could come along but then again they may just want to extend him
Mar. 6 at 1:30 p.m.
torontos finest
Judging a GM on the trades they don't make before the deadline is over seems kind of counterintuitive

Henrique would've been a decent fit in Toronto. Don't think Domi is the best option long term at 2C and Tavares needs to be moved to the wing eventually.

Quoting: aadoyle
I mean do you want him to spend a 1st for a rental?

Thought we disliked that lul

Didn't suggest that. The way the TDL is going they could get away with the 3rd and a Marlies propsect.
Mar. 6 at 1:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Henrique would've been a decent fit in Toronto. Don't think Domi is the best option long term at 2C and Tavares needs to be moved to the wing eventually.

Didn't suggest that. The way the TDL is going they could get away with the 3rd and a Marlies propsect.

For Henrique nah. Tarasenko NTC gave OTT not much choice and they had no leverage thanks to new management and his position

Mantha got a 2nd + 4th so that can be viewed as absolute min. But centers be worth more than wings so Henrique would be sitting on a 2nd + B prospect or a 1st territory especially with ret

Would be very surprised if its 3rd + prospect as hes been good this year and if Carrick is also happening yea no

Got a feeling if EDM makes this deal 1st + Foegele or 2nd + 3rd + prospect or two goes the other way to make the money work
Mar. 6 at 1:37 p.m.
WentWughes
Henrique to Edmonton

Walker to Colorado
Mar. 6 at 1:38 p.m.
WentWughes
Carrick to Edmonton as well
Mar. 6 at 1:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Sean Walker to Colorado HUH?

They have Byram, Makar, Manson, Girard, Toews and Jones

To create a post please Login or Register