Forums/Armchair-GM

Would you do it

Created by: Jah1722
Team: 2024-25 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 27, 2024
Published: Feb. 27, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If the Ducks get a 1st at the TDL, they move their own 1st unprotected for EP40. Would this be enough for VAN fans?
Trades
ANA
  1. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Someone gives up a 1st for Henrique
COL
    Henrique at TDL
    ANA
    1. Pettersson, Elias [RFA Rights]
    VAN
    1. LaCombe, Jackson [RFA Rights]
    2. Zegras, Trevor
    3. 2024 1st round pick (ANA)
    Additional Details:
    Either LaCombe or Zellweger
    No protection on the pick
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    12$87,500,000$46,225,000$0$6,550,000$41,275,000
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$800,000$800K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $812,500$812,500
    G
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 27 at 4:06 p.m.
    It would depend on what he wants on that new contract for me
    Feb. 27 at 4:06 p.m.
    It would likely be after the playoffs...so after the lottery...so no need for protection as you'd know where the pick stands.

If its 1oa...I'd think VAN got to consider it.
    Feb. 27 at 4:08 p.m.
    If it's a top 5 pick then maybe but probably not. Would need to be 1st overall or switch Zegras to Leo Carlsson
    Feb. 27 at 4:16 p.m.
    Here’s the thing about Henrique, ANA fans want to use the Monahan comp, the problem is he makes 3x what Monahan does. I still think they can get a first for him but they are definitely going to have to take salary back because what contender can add his contract full boat, not COL, not BOS, VAN and WPG made their moves, so who?
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 27 at 4:20 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: Xqb15a
    Here’s the thing about Henrique, ANA fans want to use the Monahan comp, the problem is he makes 3x what Monahan does. I still think they can get a first for him but they are definitely going to have to take salary back because what contender can add his contract full boat, not COL, not BOS, VAN and WPG made their moves, so who?

Retain half on Henrique. He’s also better than Monahan.
    Jphaxx liked this.
    Feb. 27 at 4:22 p.m.
    If the pick is #1 i defintely take it.
    Feb. 27 at 4:23 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    It would likely be after the playoffs...so after the lottery...so no need for protection as you'd know where the pick stands.

If its 1oa...I'd think VAN got to consider it.

Correct. The note is just so people would see I offering the pick without any hesitation.

If it’s 3-5 range what needs to be added that’s not upgrading Zegras to Leo?
    Feb. 27 at 4:23 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: canucksfan43
    If the pick is #1 i defintely take it.

If it’s 3-5 range what more would be needed outside of upgrading Zegras to Leo?
    Feb. 27 at 4:24 p.m.
    Pettersson to Anaheim? Bizarre trade.
    No thanks.
    Feb. 27 at 4:25 p.m.
    Quoting: Jah1722
    Retain half on Henrique. He’s also better than Monahan.

Better how, according to you? Monahan has more points and makes 1/3 the cap hit. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
    Feb. 27 at 4:25 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: Julius_Freezer
    If it's a top 5 pick then maybe but probably not. Would need to be 1st overall or switch Zegras to Leo Carlsson

If it’s Leo you wouldn’t get another significant piece like a top 5 pick. Probably just Leo and the late 1st from Henrique trade plus some filler.
    Feb. 27 at 4:27 p.m.
    If it’s 3-5 range what more would be needed outside of upgrading Zegras to Leo?

Yeah Leo would be off the table if your Anaheim, I'd also assume McTavish is as well. Idk tbh maybe another protected pick or a decent young guy like Luneau.
    Feb. 27 at 4:28 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Better how, according to you? Monahan has more points and makes 1/3 the cap hit. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Monahan has 2 more points. He also has almost half of his on the PP where Henrique is at about 25% of his point total on the PP.
    Feb. 27 at 4:29 p.m.
    As a Canucks fan, if Petey doesn't sign and this offer is on the table (particularly if it is Zellweger instead of LaCombe), I'd probably do it. I think it bridges between current success (e.g. Zegras as a semi-replacement), and future success.

If I am Anaheim, I wouldn't do this. Unless there is some reason you want to expedite your build, take on a huge contract, and sacrifice some assets that may be really important in a few years and still relatively cheap.
    Feb. 27 at 4:33 p.m.
    Monahan has 2 more points. He also has almost half of his on the PP where Henrique is at about 25% of his point total on the PP.

And Henrique makes not double but triple what he makes. Like bro you can’t ignore that, you can’t just say well he is better, and then just try to spin your take. I think ANA probably gets a 1st for him but it will be a lot harder because of the cap.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Feb. 27 at 4:34 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: dfawcett
    As a Canucks fan, if Petey doesn't sign and this offer is on the table (particularly if it is Zellweger instead of LaCombe), I'd probably do it. I think it bridges between current success (e.g. Zegras as a semi-replacement), and future success.

If I am Anaheim, I wouldn't do this. Unless there is some reason you want to expedite your build, take on a huge contract, and sacrifice some assets that may be really important in a few years and still relatively cheap.

Those players won’t be cheap in 2-3 years because they’ll all need extensions anyways. Getting EP40 who’s probably around the top 10 players in the league is hard to say no to when you have the assets to attain him without giving up Leo who you hope to be a franchise type player as well.
    Feb. 27 at 4:39 p.m.
    Jah1722
    And Henrique makes not double but triple what he makes. Like bro you can’t ignore that, you can’t just say well he is better, and then just try to spin your take. I think ANA probably gets a 1st for him but it will be a lot harder because of the cap.

You act like retaining 50% isn’t an option. When Monahan was traded WPG took on just under 800k in cap. If Henrique is traded on deadline day with 50% retention he will be 1.27M of cap remaining.
    Feb. 27 at 4:51 p.m.
    Judd Bracket ripoff
    switch zegras and lacombe for troy terry
    Feb. 27 at 4:51 p.m.
    No with Zellweger. Maybe with Lacombe depending on:
    1. Would Pet actually want to be in ANA long-term? He wants to compete, and we haven’t been doing that lately
    2. What contract does he want? We have a great peak contract of Terry at $7M. I’d hate to follow TOR’s footsteps and sign a star to a huge deal that sets the bar for all our young studs who will need deals (McT, Leo, Minty, Gauthier, Zell)
    3. Where our pick lands and who’s available. No way VAN does this until the offseason anyways. 11% chance of Celebrini would be a hard no. Then wait u til draft day and if someone like Levshunov is available I’d definitely take him and keep the process going

In general, while we have the pieces to acquire him in ANA, I just don’t think it makes sense. We’re super deep down the middle with guys we love, are multiple pieces and years away from seriously competing, and we’re in-division. He’ll make more sense for another team to acquire
    Feb. 27 at 4:53 p.m.
    VAN
    Ya if the compromise to Petey wanting out is Celebrini.
    Feb. 27 at 5:58 p.m.
    You act like retaining 50% isn’t an option. When Monahan was traded WPG took on just under 800k in cap. If Henrique is traded on deadline day with 50% retention he will be 1.27M of cap remaining.

Yeah and teams operating using LTIR have to take full cap hits not prorated though there is some gray area for the Avs because of Landeskog. Bro you’re arguing to argue, I said ANA is going to have to retain, I said I think they can get a 1st, you said they would retain. I’m good not arguing minutiae.
    Feb. 27 at 6:03 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: Jded
    No with Zellweger. Maybe with Lacombe depending on:
    1. Would Pet actually want to be in ANA long-term? He wants to compete, and we haven’t been doing that lately
    2. What contract does he want? We have a great peak contract of Terry at $7M. I’d hate to follow TOR’s footsteps and sign a star to a huge deal that sets the bar for all our young studs who will need deals (McT, Leo, Minty, Gauthier, Zell)
    3. Where our pick lands and who’s available. No way VAN does this until the offseason anyways. 11% chance of Celebrini would be a hard no. Then wait u til draft day and if someone like Levshunov is available I’d definitely take him and keep the process going

In general, while we have the pieces to acquire him in ANA, I just don’t think it makes sense. We’re super deep down the middle with guys we love, are multiple pieces and years away from seriously competing, and we’re in-division. He’ll make more sense for another team to acquire

I’ll take EP40 over Celebrini or Levshunov or anyone else in this draft.
    Feb. 27 at 6:16 p.m.
    I’ll take EP40 over Celebrini or Levshunov or anyone else in this draft.

Is Pet likely better than those players? Absolutely yes. But in ANA’s position being a non-competitive team (with or without Pet) that needs multiple pieces and a couple years for our young players to develop, I’d easily prefer Celebrini joining us for just a 1st round pick on an ELC versus shedding 3 valuable assets to sign someone 7 years older who will require an 8 figure contract that will then unfavorably impact the cost to sign all our current ELCs

To be honest, that decision wouldn’t be remotely difficult imo. Levshunov would be the tougher one. But we need a #1RD pretty desperately and we do not lack for stud Centers at all. The value would have to make sense to forego taking Lev, and I don’t see how another team more in need of a #1C wouldn’t be willing to pay more
    Feb. 27 at 8:46 p.m.
    Jah1722
    Quoting: Jded
    Is Pet likely better than those players? Absolutely yes. But in ANA’s position being a non-competitive team (with or without Pet) that needs multiple pieces and a couple years for our young players to develop, I’d easily prefer Celebrini joining us for just a 1st round pick on an ELC versus shedding 3 valuable assets to sign someone 7 years older who will require an 8 figure contract that will then unfavorably impact the cost to sign all our current ELCs

To be honest, that decision wouldn’t be remotely difficult imo. Levshunov would be the tougher one. But we need a #1RD pretty desperately and we do not lack for stud Centers at all. The value would have to make sense to forego taking Lev, and I don’t see how another team more in need of a #1C wouldn’t be willing to pay more

I hate this argument. The ducks shouldn’t add a bonafide superstar because they’re a non competitive team right now? So they should just be content losing non competitive games because they have young players?

No you make your team better using those young assets to acquire better players while also developing the other young talent.

If this trade is made the ducks would have EP, Leo, McT, Terry, and Cutter for their top 6 long term. That should be elite. They would still have Minty, one of LaCombe/Zellweger, and Luneau to build the around after Gudas and Fowler deals are up. There’s still plenty of a young core to build around. Not to mention a late 1st and two 2nds to continue building the prospect pool.

As for the contracts, getting EP40 signed to a deal would actually be beneficial. If McT, Leo etc. only produce at a Terry clip they get something around his cap %, if they dominate and end up around EP40s production they get something hear his cap%. The bar will be set within the team. Otherwise they could be setting their own bar based off contracts around the league. Also if they are producing enough to get the EP40 contract then the team will be making deep playoff runs and a cap crunch usually coincides with that.
    Feb. 27 at 10:10 p.m.
    I hate this argument. The ducks shouldn’t add a bonafide superstar because they’re a non competitive team right now? So they should just be content losing non competitive games because they have young players?

No you make your team better using those young assets to acquire better players while also developing the other young talent.

If this trade is made the ducks would have EP, Leo, McT, Terry, and Cutter for their top 6 long term. That should be elite. They would still have Minty, one of LaCombe/Zellweger, and Luneau to build the around after Gudas and Fowler deals are up. There’s still plenty of a young core to build around. Not to mention a late 1st and two 2nds to continue building the prospect pool.

As for the contracts, getting EP40 signed to a deal would actually be beneficial. If McT, Leo etc. only produce at a Terry clip they get something around his cap %, if they dominate and end up around EP40s production they get something hear his cap%. The bar will be set within the team. Otherwise they could be setting their own bar based off contracts around the league. Also if they are producing enough to get the EP40 contract then the team will be making deep playoff runs and a cap crunch usually coincides with that.

EP has repeatedly said he wants to compete. I see zero reason he wouldn’t sign with the #1 team in the standings, only to commit to 3rd to last (and frankly I don’t believe these rumors regardless. Feels like the Zegras hoopla where the media just stirs a story)

I’m all for adding a superstar. Nobody is content losing games. The point is that in the short term, we’re not competitive whether or not we make that trade (and EP will know that when considering if he should sign). Long-term, we’re moving assets for a player at the position with the least long-term concern for ANA. So for Z (#1LW), Lacombe (3LD), and a pick like Eiserman (another #1LW)? Sure, I’m in. But if it’s #1LW, Zellweger (#1/2LD), and Levshunov (#1RD) I’m not convinced that’s better for ANA long-term. Our defense is Swiss-cheese and that leaves us with huge holes long-term.

Should you move young assets for better players? Sure. Would I drool over EP in ANA. Hell yeah. My point was that I expect teams who desperately need a 1C would put forward some really compelling offers. Because we aren’t center-needy, I just don’t see us being willing to pay the price that others would (again, if he’d even sign here). Not to mention that VAN would likely need extra incentive to be sending him in division

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll