SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Apr. 3 at 8:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Wennberg is unlikely to take anything less than $3.5m AAV and even that is pretty low. He's not a 50pt player but good defensively and a decent playmaker. He also does not play at the pace that the Avs prefer. Basically he's RyJo 2.0. We are not doing that again.

Also I can't see Walker taking less than $4 5m AAV unless it's a contender discount.

So I just don't even see how the scenario even appeals to the Avs.

If Landeskog is out then we'll make a run at Drouin & Walker in that order most likely.

Idk he's not having a strong season rn and the offers may not be that high from contenders. The smart move may be go to Avs on a 1 year deal than cash out again

Like what he did when he signed a 1 year deal in FLA then got 4.5m with SEA

I could see a 2.5-2.8m 1 year deal
Apr. 3 at 9:15 p.m.
Reavo has been a bad, bad man as of late.
Apr. 3 at 9:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MGK
Reavo has been a bad, bad man as of late.

Kind of surprised Jeannot didnt get an instigator for crosschecking to lead to the fight

But hey Jeannot learned not a wise move
Apr. 3 at 9:26 p.m.
Edited Apr. 3 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Kind of surprised Jeannot didnt get an instigator for crosschecking to lead to the fight

But hey Jeannot learned not a wise move

He usually does well against most heavyweights

I remember when Sens fans told me Paul would never:
-be a regular 3C
-score 20 goals
Apr. 3 at 9:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 3 at 9:53 p.m.
Woll has a bright future but man since coming back from that injury he's been rough

3 of his last 4 starts allowed first shot of the game

To me thats a momentum killer and just sets the tone

Hopefully next year he gets out of this hole and finds his game again but yea he's not the starter game 1 as its been rough for Woll rn
Apr. 3 at 10:07 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsForLife
I went to check that on the NHL app, it says there have been 156 PIM (NJD 82, NYR 74), but there have been no penalties taken, 7 1/2 minutes into the 1st. Unsurprisingly, Matt Rempe earned 15 PIM in just 2 seconds of ice time

Matt Rempe career vs NJD

Game 1: 0:13 TOI, 17 PIM, headshot, fight, ejection
Game 2: 4:48 TOI, 15 PIM, headshot, fight, ejection, suspension
Game 3: 0:02 TOI, 15 PIM, fight, ejection
CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 3 at 11:01 p.m.
mokumboi
Wow, I had not watched the Kraken in a minute... they are GOD AWFUL.
Apr. 4 at 12:42 a.m.
Idk he's not having a strong season rn and the offers may not be that high from contenders. The smart move may be go to Avs on a 1 year deal than cash out again

Like what he did when he signed a 1 year deal in FLA then got 4.5m with SEA

I could see a 2.5-2.8m 1 year deal

Regardless of contract he is not a fit for Avs playstyle. I like Wennberg but he is an East-West type of player not a North-South guy. There are better fits for him than the Avs
Apr. 4 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Matt Rempe career vs NJD

Game 1: 0:13 TOI, 17 PIM, headshot, fight, ejection
Game 2: 4:48 TOI, 15 PIM, headshot, fight, ejection, suspension
Game 3: 0:02 TOI, 15 PIM, fight, ejection

Is it irresponsible of the rangers to play him next NJD game or is it irresponsible for them to have him take that night off?

I cannot decide. I think both choices are wrong lol.
Apr. 4 at 12:52 p.m.
Amirov Forever
The Sharks win the Collin Graf sweepstakes! Funny how it's been reported at length that it would be an Eastern conference team that would get him. Very solid pickup for the Sharks, he will be an NHL regular next season and will finish out the regular season as a Shark. Definitely strengthens their already strong prospect pool
zk97 and Sharkie69 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 5:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 4 at 5:46 p.m.
Might get bashed for this but I think this summer Carolina is gonna buyout KK. I dont think they gonna want to pay to dump and it makes sense rn.

His buyout is stupid good for them and with the Kuznetsov trade they have a replacement and lets be real his 4m it can be better used elsewhere

Like its basically 8 years of 835k and 4 years of 455k cap hit for CAR
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 6:48 p.m.
Again if Management played their cards right earlier TOR could have made the JTM and McDonagh trade

Add those two and Muzzin along with JT FA signing and u got

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-JT-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Miller
Brown-Ennis-Kapenan

Extra: Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
McDonagh-Gardiner
Muzzin-Zaitsev

Extra: Oghigenov, Holl

They were to passive during the ELC era of this team. Could have traded picks earlier and filled in the holes sooner

2017-2019 was the prime chance and they let it go as the flat cap forced them to make tougher choices after. Caps going back up and come 2026 JT is off the books.

This is where they need to take full advantage

As in the end cup wins are not always quick look how long it took WSH and TBL to get. Cause in the end competitive teams do not always rely on prospects. Often they are traded away with picks to add help now

TBL traded Foote + picks for Goodrow + Coleman wise move

VGK from their start till now where be the prospects?

I'm afraid one can't compare an expansion team to a regular team, but even then, one must note that throughout the years they have had way more playoff success than the Leafs.

As for TB, well simply put, they made the 1st for Goodrow and a 3rd and Foote(Bust) and a 1st for Coleman when they were in their window. There was no indication AT ALL the Leafs's window was open in 2018, none whatsoever. So you're comparing apples to oranges here mate...
Apr. 4 at 6:49 p.m.
Might get bashed for this but I think this summer Carolina is gonna buyout KK. I dont think they gonna want to pay to dump and it makes sense rn.

His buyout is stupid good for them and with the Kuznetsov trade they have a replacement and lets be real his 4m it can be better used elsewhere

It's honestly sad what has happened to him because he showed so much promise in his rookie season, in 2018-19...

I think a lack of work ethic is one of the main factors in his case...
Apr. 4 at 6:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
It's honestly sad what has happened to him because he showed so much promise in his rookie season, in 2018-19...

I think a lack of work ethic is one of the main factors in his case...

Who knows, maybe CAR was just not a fit it does happen

Or maybe its just him

But I got a feeling whether through dump or buyout this summer KK wont be a Cane anymore

Now if he does end up staying it will be kind of a surprise but it just feels like its best for both sides to move on
Apr. 4 at 7:23 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

They might depending on how desperate they are for money, idk if I really expect them to tho. They have sometime before he turns 26 and his buyout goes from a 1/3 cost to a 2/3 cost. I personally think they should wait. If KK can be the player he was last year, and at the start of this year his contract isn't a bad one with where the cap is headed.
Apr. 4 at 8:13 p.m.
Kansler
Watching Bos vs Car. Really hope carolina figures its out ..
Boston has a culture of winning, and it shows...
Apr. 4 at 8:15 p.m.
Kansler
Quoting: HelmutCool
Watching Bos vs Car. Really hope carolina figures its out ..
Boston has a culture of winning, and it shows...

Not that I hate Boston. Just disappointed with the Canes year after year...
Apr. 4 at 8:19 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
They might depending on how desperate they are for money, idk if I really expect them to tho. They have sometime before he turns 26 and his buyout goes from a 1/3 cost to a 2/3 cost. I personally think they should wait. If KK can be the player he was last year, and at the start of this year his contract isn't a bad one with where the cap is headed.

If they can re-sign a couple of their pending UFAs with that buyout savings they prettymuch have to do it IMO.

I hope the Pittsburgh Washington game goes to OT and they both make the playoffs. Give me NYR-Was and Car-Pens please.
Apr. 4 at 8:23 p.m.
Bolts clicking at the right time.

Dollar says the cup goes to the Atlantic Division. Any takers?
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 4 at 8:32 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Rangsey

The Atlantic division (or at least the top of the Atlantic division) has been stupidly stack for years now. Boston, Tampa, Toronto and more recently Florida.
Apr. 4 at 8:37 p.m.

My top 3 right now are Carolina NYR Dallas. Rangers will be a tough out if Zibenejad gets going.

Tampa looks scary though
Apr. 4 at 8:51 p.m.
Kansler
My top 3 right now are Carolina NYR Dallas. Rangers will be a tough out if Zibenejad gets going.

Tampa looks scary though

Its going West. Tough teams there. Vegas, Dallas, and (LA is the dark horse. Arvidsson healty, Fiala finding his groove?
Apr. 4 at 9:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 5 at 1:17 a.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Well they have a bunch of guys on expiring deals and with Kuznetsov no real need for KK anymore

RFA's

Drury
Necas
Jarvis

UFA's

Teräväinen
Guentzel
Noesen
Martinhook
Pesce

Jarvis, Necas, and Guentzel wont come cheap

They have 30m but thats gonna get eaten up quick by those 3. Buying him out gives em 34m

And really they dont need him

1c = Aho
2c = Kuznetzov
3c = Staal
4c = Drury
Apr. 4 at 9:07 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
If they can re-sign a couple of their pending UFAs with that buyout savings they prettymuch have to do it IMO.

I hope the Pittsburgh Washington game goes to OT and they both make the playoffs. Give me NYR-Was and Car-Pens please.

If it means being able to keep Guentzel, sure it could be considered. Not totally sure what their cap situation looks like rn know they have a ton of UFA's tho so it will be interesting. I would want the Flyers to jump all over that if he became a UFA.
Apr. 4 at 9:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I think its either Atlantic or Pacific

A healthy VGK is on par with the team TBL fielded when it won its b2b cups. Only the goaltending be the big IF as while Hill's been good hes no Vasi

Man VGK might have the scariest team in the NHL when healthy as just look at the depth thats gonna be scratched lul

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll