Forums/Armchair-GM

Is this fair for Zegras Be Honest Please

Created by: SlafCaufZuki
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 20, 2024
Published: Mar. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is assuming the Habs draft at 8th overall and that Lindstrom, Catton & Eiserman are all off the board.

I used the DeBrincat trade as a comparable, but I added some value, as IMO Zegras is worth more since he's younger and cost controlled. Additionally, I also added a little bit more value, since the Ducks would be taking on Anderson's contract. While I do think Anderson isn't worth much of anything at all, I don't think he has extreme negative value since 1) hes the type of player Verbeek likes; 2) He helps the Ducks reach the cap floor; 3) He fits in nicely on their forward core as they need another speedy, physical winger and 4) Anderson had decent trade value across the league not too long ago.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
5$2,750,000
Trades
ANA
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
  3. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
  6. 2025 3rd round pick (VAN)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$72,638,750$1,022,500$3,977,500$14,861,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 20 at 10:07 a.m.
zegras aint worth a top 10 pick
palhal and Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:13 a.m.
ht42
Ducks fans will gonna said it's a good offer.

Habs fans will gonna said that's too much.

BUT, I think Anaheim will gonna want minimum quality element in a return for Zegras, and if our 2024 1st round pick is in the 8th-9th overall range, we can make that deal.

Don't forget that Zegras have a back-to-back more than 60pts season, imagine if he hit the 80pts mark with CC22.......
SlafCaufZuki and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:17 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: athrin

Montreal fans seem to this obsession with Zebras.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:33 a.m.
If any Zegras trade materializes I don't think they would need to take on a bad contract like Anderson for a valued asset. Who is available when the Habs pick comes along will dictate if a deal makes sense for both sides. If Habs pick 8 and their targets are off the board I could see a 8OA + 2nd or D prospect working. While the Ducks have a deep D prospect system, I could see them looking to add proven young talent to the blueline like a Harris/Struble as not all of Zellweger, Luneau, etc will likely hit their potential. I can't see the logic for the Ducks in taking on Anderson and Ylonen as a part of this package. Ylonen seems like he is destined for waivers next year and Anderson has been one of the least effective forwards on a bottom 8 team on a long-term deal. Assuming the deal is based around Zegras for MTL 1st/COL 2nd, then I don't see Anderson for Ylonen/Barron and a 3rd being nearly enough to get off that contract. Barron, while still having potential is about a year away from being traded for another project if he can't figure out the defensive side of the puck
Matt1567, squashmaple and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: athrin

Quoting: palhal
Montreal fans seem to this obsession with Zebras.

Stop overvaluing draft pick just because it’s labelled as a top 10 pick. The 24’ draft is incredibly weak. The top 5 is good, 5-10 is slightly above average, and after that it falls off quite a bit. Zegras is ABSOLUTELY worth a top 10 pick in this draft, heck arguably worth a top 5 pick (outside of Celebrini).

As for this offer( it’s not enough. Not close. Moving Anderson takes at minimum the 1st and 2nd just for future considerations, so basically the offer is Barron, Ylonen and a 3rd for Zegras which isn’t even in the same city let alone ballpark for a deal.

Whether you like Zegras or not, he’s still a top 6 centre with potential to become an elite offensive 1C. Those are very hard to find and generally you draft one and keep them. So if one was available on the trade market, it’s going to cost you a premium. Think quality over quantity. Anaheim is in a bit of a weird stage where they’re not tearing it down for the rebuild but they’re acquiring assets to move the rebuild along. So best case scenario it’s a 1-for-1 swap of another guy struggling at a different position - but the more likely option is a young roster player with upside, a 1st round pick in the 15-32 range, and another prospect at a position that Anaheim would need.

From Montreal, that package is likely:
1. Either straight up Zegras for Slafkovsky
2. A package of Guhle + WPG 24’ 1st round pick + Beck (or similar prospect at different position)
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:54 a.m.
Matt1567
Quoting: Ryminister_92
Stop overvaluing draft pick just because it’s labelled as a top 10 pick. The 24’ draft is incredibly weak. The top 5 is good, 5-10 is slightly above average, and after that it falls off quite a bit. Zegras is ABSOLUTELY worth a top 10 pick in this draft, heck arguably worth a top 5 pick (outside of Celebrini).

As for this offer( it’s not enough. Not close. Moving Anderson takes at minimum the 1st and 2nd just for future considerations, so basically the offer is Barron, Ylonen and a 3rd for Zegras which isn’t even in the same city let alone ballpark for a deal.

Whether you like Zegras or not, he’s still a top 6 centre with potential to become an elite offensive 1C. Those are very hard to find and generally you draft one and keep them. So if one was available on the trade market, it’s going to cost you a premium. Think quality over quantity. Anaheim is in a bit of a weird stage where they’re not tearing it down for the rebuild but they’re acquiring assets to move the rebuild along. So best case scenario it’s a 1-for-1 swap of another guy struggling at a different position - but the more likely option is a young roster player with upside, a 1st round pick in the 15-32 range, and another prospect at a position that Anaheim would need.

From Montreal, that package is likely:
1. Either straight up Zegras for Slafkovsky
2. A package of Guhle + WPG 24’ 1st round pick + Beck (or similar prospect at different position)

personally, I wouldn't trade Guhle for Zegras 1 for 1. Guhle is the only guarantee going forward on our blueline, for a we know every prospect in our system could bust, I wouldn't trade the only one that's proven to be a top 4 defenseman for a forward when our forward core is currently stronger than our defense
SlafCaufZuki and Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 20 at 11:13 a.m.
not a he )
Attaching Anderson to the trade undermines it very much. Anaheim will justifiably want more to take that problem off your hands. Remove Anderson and a trade of Zegras for Montreal's first (this is assuming draft day and that the lottery has occurred) plus at least one RHD prospect and a second is ballpark fair, although I think multiple other teams can and would probably outbid that.
Mar. 20 at 11:29 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think that for a Zegras trade to occur, it would require some specific combination of events. One scenario is that the Ducks win the Celebrini sweeps, which makes a Zegras trade much more appealing, and a RhD prospect like Zayne Parekh is high on Anaheim's draft board. Or the Ducks draft Arty Levshunov and they like a RW like Hemming or Nygard that early. (I think that they stay away from Demidov.)

By the way, I don't see any way that you guys get up to #8. I think that you're locked into the 5 to 7 slot.

Quoting: squashmaple
Attaching Anderson to the trade undermines it very much. Anaheim will justifiably want more to take that problem off your hands. Remove Anderson and a trade of Zegras for Montreal's first (this is assuming draft day and that the lottery has occurred) plus at least one RHD prospect and a second is ballpark fair, although I think multiple other teams can and would probably outbid that.

Best response of these comments.

Note the specific reference to a RhD, not Kaiden Guhle.
SlafCaufZuki, squashmaple, GeneralLandro and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 20 at 12:51 p.m.
Bcarlo25
I think it's a very slight overpay.

I don't think Zegras is worth a top ten pick, and generally think he's about as overrated as it gets, but i also think that the habs are going to have to pay to move that anderson contract, and pretty heavily
Mar. 20 at 1:06 p.m.
Anaheim doesn’t want Anderson, easy as that
GiggywithGibby and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 20 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: Matt1567
personally, I wouldn't trade Guhle for Zegras 1 for 1. Guhle is the only guarantee going forward on our blueline, for a we know every prospect in our system could bust, I wouldn't trade the only one that's proven to be a top 4 defenseman for a forward when our forward core is currently stronger than our defense

Not even

Absolute last thing we need // want is a LHD
Mar. 20 at 1:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DylanPaul
If any Zegras trade materializes I don't think they would need to take on a bad contract like Anderson for a valued asset. Who is available when the Habs pick comes along will dictate if a deal makes sense for both sides. If Habs pick 8 and their targets are off the board I could see a 8OA + 2nd or D prospect working. While the Ducks have a deep D prospect system, I could see them looking to add proven young talent to the blueline like a Harris/Struble as not all of Zellweger, Luneau, etc will likely hit their potential. I can't see the logic for the Ducks in taking on Anderson and Ylonen as a part of this package. Ylonen seems like he is destined for waivers next year and Anderson has been one of the least effective forwards on a bottom 8 team on a long-term deal. Assuming the deal is based around Zegras for MTL 1st/COL 2nd, then I don't see Anderson for Ylonen/Barron and a 3rd being nearly enough to get off that contract. Barron, while still having potential is about a year away from being traded for another project if he can't figure out the defensive side of the puck

The Habs arent trading Anderson as a cap dump. He's had 1 bad year. Everyone loves to cook him but none of you are Gms. Same as 95% were wrong on Monahan. They love him in Montreal and still has value around the league as a 21 goal scorer power forward last season in 69 games. Selling low on Anderson would be worse than selling low on Zegras.. Their true cap dump is Gallagher and nobody is trading for him
Mar. 20 at 1:35 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
No, including Anderson torpedoes the deal. Select one of the following.

Slafkovsky
Reinbacher + MTLs 25 2nd
MTLs 6OA pick + Beck level prospect of interest
OldNYIfan and GeneralLandro liked this.
Mar. 20 at 5:31 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Remove Anderson, remove the first. Then add Winnipeg’s or Calgary’s first. Then it’s fair value, and even an overpay (according to the Eichel trade)
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 20 at 5:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
Remove Anderson, remove the first. Then add Winnipeg’s or Calgary’s first. Then it’s fair value, and even an overpay (according to the Eichel trade)

I really dont want Anderson traded but much like Monahan, Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen, etc it would be nice to see the trolls put in their place, AGAIN!

It doesnt matter what anyone here thinks as the Habs really, really like Anderson so they aint selling him for nothing but positive value so youre all wrong in this thread if you simply did the tiniest research and the pundits like Seravelli (whom also called the Monahan return) have said there are multiple GMs that love his play style.

Anderson isnt a cap dump for the PEOPLE IN THE BACK!
Mar. 20 at 6:26 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Quoting: Andy_Dick
I really dont want Anderson traded but much like Monahan, Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen, etc it would be nice to see the trolls put in their place, AGAIN!

It doesnt matter what anyone here thinks as the Habs really, really like Anderson so they aint selling him for nothing but positive value so youre all wrong in this thread if you simply did the tiniest research and the pundits like Seravelli (whom also called the Monahan return) have said there are multiple GMs that love his play style.

Anderson isnt a cap dump for the PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

I mean, Anderson has been really really bad this season and nobody eould want him, but at the same time, we have like 20m in cap space next season

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll