Forums/Armchair-GM

Capitals make the move for the future and get younger

Created by: Logicalicesports
Team: 2024-25 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2024
Published: Apr. 26, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As much as I don't like Sammy, he could be a decent back up for Charlie.

Other moves made to get younger and at the same time try and stay semi competitive.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,250,000
1$900,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Wahlstrom, Oliver [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2025 7th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Milano, Sonny
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
WSH
  1. Grebyonkin, Nikita [Reserve List]
TOR
  1. van Riemsdyk, Trevor
  2. 2025 5th round pick (CHI)
COL
  1. Kuemper, Darcy ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
WSH
  1. Zegras, Trevor
Additional Details:
as much as I personally do not like Zegras. He is the right age and skill level we need to target.
ANA
  1. Iorio, Vincent
  2. McMichael, Connor [RFA Rights]
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
The Ducks get a promising winger/center who has played on the Caps first line majority of the season, and a promising RHD prospect along with a third for someone who has been demoted down the line up and needs to find a new home.
WSH
  1. Huuhtanen, Niko [Reserve List]
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Caps get a former 7th rounder back that has shown some good development in Europe.
TBL
  1. Shepard, Hunter
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Sheps been good to us but he needs a chance to be a legit back up in the league. Also Stevenson needs to be able to be the starter in Hersey to further develop. Tampa gets a guy who has proven he can play in the NHL as a back up and is on a dirt cheap contract which they need for the time being.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$81,453,333$2,252,500$1,195,000$6,046,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,375,000$3,375,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
RFA
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$445,000$445K)
C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW
RFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
RFA
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 26 at 11:54 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
If you want Zegras, the offer starts with Leonard, you don't get high end talent for spare parts, and Zegras doesn't need to find a new home nor has he been demoted down the lineup. He played one game at 3C when he came back from injury to limit his ice time and then jumped straight back into the top 6.
GeneralLandro, Jded, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 26 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
If you want Zegras, the offer starts with Leonard, you don't get high end talent for spare parts, and Zegras doesn't need to find a new home nor has he been demoted down the lineup. He played one game at 3C when he came back from injury to limit his ice time and then jumped straight back into the top 6.

CMC and Iorio are far from Spare parts. I personally dislike Zegras, but I could see the Capitals thinking about kicking the tires. There is no chance the Capitals give you Leonard for Zegras. If you want Leonard its Zegras +.

I can understand why you are high on him but there is no way you will be getting any teams best prospect besides like Toronto or Florida to get Zegras.
Apr. 26 at 12:01 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Apr. 26 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
CMC and Iorio are far from Spare parts. I personally dislike Zegras, but I could see the Capitals thinking about kicking the tires. There is no chance the Capitals give you Leonard for Zegras. If you want Leonard its Zegras +.

I can understand why you are high on him but there is no way you will be getting any teams best prospect besides like Toronto or Florida to get Zegras.

Iorio and McMichael are nothing special compared to prospects the Ducks already have, they're middle pair/middle 6 upside, we've got tons of those laying around. If you want a shiny new 1C that we have no reason to move and is under contract then you need to cough up an impact piece.

And no, you would be adding to Leonard, not us adding to Zegras.
GeneralLandro, Jded, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:06 p.m.
Puckhead
I kind of like this...I think your trades are fair...but why not just keep McMichael vs Zegras?

If I am Washington I would go for Domi....he has been unreal with Matthews since they moved him up...I originally thought Marner could get Ovi to the record fast but I think Domi would be a great cheap option...Leaf fans are all posting low ball offers for him...show him some L$ve
Logicalicesports liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:07 p.m.
What the hell lol.
Apr. 26 at 12:07 p.m.
That’s a real easy decision for Verbeek

The decision is a quick and swift NOPE
Jded and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:11 p.m.
Iorio and McMichael are nothing special compared to prospects the Ducks already have, they're middle pair/middle 6 upside, we've got tons of those laying around. If you want a shiny new 1C that we have no reason to move and is under contract then you need to cough up an impact piece.

And no, you would be adding to Leonard, not us adding to Zegras.

Quoting: GeneralLandro
That’s a real easy decision for Verbeek

The decision is a quick and swift NOPE

I understand you guys like the guy. Don't get me wrong everyone has players on their teams they like and as I said before I do NOT like Zegras. But I am not doing this from a players I like stance. He seems to have fallen out of favor with his coach and his GM and they are going to shop him, that is known. So you don't want young roster players that have shown promise and nobody in their right mind will give you a top prospect for him. So what is your price after that. If every single franchise says they will not give up their best prospect what will you do? Hold him on one of the worst teams in the league and let him rot or trade him for assets?
Apr. 26 at 12:15 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I understand you guys like the guy. Don't get me wrong everyone has players on their teams they like and as I said before I do NOT like Zegras. But I am not doing this from a players I like stance. He seems to have fallen out of favor with his coach and his GM and they are going to shop him, that is known. So you don't want young roster players that have shown promise and nobody in their right mind will give you a top prospect for him. So what is your price after that. If every single franchise says they will not give up their best prospect what will you do? Hold him on one of the worst teams in the league and let him rot or trade him for assets?

Cronins exit interviews literally praised him for his improved two way play this season. How do you figure that means he has fallen out of favor?

And the least we could do is hang onto him for a healthy season and let him go for 85 points to boost his value prior to trading him, if we were looking to trade him. And if we were looking to trade him, we would be looking for an impact piece coming the other way, like in the Drysdale or Mittlestadt trades.

So if you've got a potential #1 RHD or #1RW prospect laying around, give us a call for Zegras, but he's not getting moved for a smattering of pieces we don't have any need for.
Jded, OldNYIfan and GeneralLandro liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:17 p.m.
Echoing Giggy. Zegras isn’t available and ANA has zero reason to move him. Leonard is the o key piece enticing enough to consider it

Any take you have that he fell out of favor is media nonsense. Listen to any interview from Cronin or Verbeek, including their closing interviews from this week
OldNYIfan and GeneralLandro liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:20 p.m.
Cronins exit interviews literally praised him for his improved two way play this season. How do you figure that means he has fallen out of favor?

And the least we could do is hang onto him for a healthy season and let him go for 85 points to boost his value prior to trading him, if we were looking to trade him. And if we were looking to trade him, we would be looking for an impact piece coming the other way, like in the Drysdale or Mittlestadt trades.

So if you've got a potential #1 RHD or #1RW prospect laying around, give us a call for Zegras, but he's not getting moved for a smattering of pieces we don't have any need for.

I would think you would need a RHD in general. And okay lets say this, which of McTavish, Zegras, or Carlsson would you most like to move? There is no way they plan on keeping those three centers as they are all Top 6 guys. Hell I would argue McTavish and Carlsson are both top line centers. So whats the plan because Zegras is not as good on the wing and needs to be playing center to have his full impact.
Apr. 26 at 12:23 p.m.
TB was more than happy with JoJo and are really high on Huuntanen. Thanks but pass.
Apr. 26 at 12:25 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I would think you would need a RHD in general. And okay lets say this, which of McTavish, Zegras, or Carlsson would you most like to move? There is no way they plan on keeping those three centers as they are all Top 6 guys. Hell I would argue McTavish and Carlsson are both top line centers. So whats the plan because Zegras is not as good on the wing and needs to be playing center to have his full impact.

There's never been a thing as too many centers. We can either roll three scoring lines with the three of them at center, or we can move one of them to the left wing, like Zegras, whom Verbeek has already commented on as doing. We've got two spots at top 6 LW, Gauthier and Zegras can fill that out nicely, if we have to bump Vatranonto the third line then so be it, he's been great scoring but we should have to be playing him in the top 6.

Then we have the added roster flexibility of if one of the Centers goes down, we can slide the winger who knows how to play center over instead of promoting someone from a lower line to play top 6 C.

If you go look at hockey reference, we only have like 4 forwards who aren't centers on our entire roster.
Apr. 26 at 12:34 p.m.

While I couldn't disagree more with "Giggy" calling McM and Iorio spare parts (lol that is so far from the truth but okay buddy), I do agree with "Giggy" on the offer above not being enough. Do I think Zegras is worth the asking price -> no, not at all. I think he is very overrated and a second coming of Kuzy. But like it is said above, ANA has no reason to trade him and therefore, the asking price would be high...too high for really any team to be interested I'd say.
But thinking the asking price starts with Leonard (and possibly more) is absurd, laughable, and total bias...
Logicalicesports liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:57 p.m.
Lol avs ain't trading for kuemper. This dumb as hell.
TJTwolf and AslanRH liked this.
Apr. 26 at 1:18 p.m.
Skip skibbity
Caps say no to the Islanders and Ducks trades. Absolutely no reason to trade McMike for Zegras. Dude is overrated. Colorado and Tampa say no. No clue on the Toronto trade
Xqb15a liked this.
Apr. 26 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan
Caps say no to the Islanders and Ducks trades. Absolutely no reason to trade McMike for Zegras. Dude is overrated. Colorado and Tampa say no. No clue on the Toronto trade

Honestly the caps should take a filer on Wahlstrom. Kid needs a change in scenery and he will be great. But yeah the rest is a shot in the dark
Apr. 26 at 1:27 p.m.
Skip skibbity

I'll agree that this offer doesn't get Zegras. McMichael and Iorio aren't "spare parts" but they don't have the value/role that the Ducks need. That being said, throwing Leonard in this conversation is like us asking for Cutter Gauthier in a Dylan Strome trade lol
Apr. 26 at 1:28 p.m.
I'll agree that this offer doesn't get Zegras. McMichael and Iorio aren't "spare parts" but they don't have the value/role that the Ducks need. That being said, throwing Leonard in this conversation is like us asking for Cutter Gauthier in a Dylan Strome trade lol

Couldn't have said that better myself
Apr. 26 at 1:33 p.m.
Future Ducks legend

If your valuation of Dylan Strome is that he's equivalent to, or even in the same time zone as Trevor Zegras, then that is where your major disconnect is.
Apr. 26 at 1:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Quoting: Jded
Echoing Giggy. Zegras isn’t available and ANA has zero reason to move him. Leonard is the o key piece enticing enough to consider it

Any take you have that he fell out of favor is media nonsense. Listen to any interview from Cronin or Verbeek, including their closing interviews from this week

I will never, ever understand why guys will trade for a player that they themselves define as a #1C and then say that they wouldn't trade an unsigned prospect for him, but two kids with modest NHL experience characterized as "promising" are sufficient. Ever.

They must be thrilled that they got the next Connor Bedard at 8 overall. I guess we should have taken him instead of Leo.
GeneralLandro and Jded liked this.
Apr. 26 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I will never, ever understand why guys will trade for a player that they themselves define as a #1C and then say that they wouldn't trade an unsigned prospect for him, but two kids with modest NHL experience characterized as "promising" are sufficient. Ever.

They must be thrilled that they got the next Connor Bedard at 8 overall. I guess we should have taken him instead of Leo.

That there sir if the CF Special!!
OldNYIfan and Jded liked this.
Apr. 26 at 1:57 p.m.
You don’t really think that gets Girard do you? Kuemper is the back up goalie. Got to love CF and hey here is a back up goalie and a 3rd give a top 4 dman locked up on a good contract. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
TJTwolf and AslanRH liked this.
Apr. 26 at 1:59 p.m.
Skip skibbity
If your valuation of Dylan Strome is that he's equivalent to, or even in the same time zone as Trevor Zegras, then that is where your major disconnect is.

lol no, Strome isn't Zegras. But that's about what I'm going for. Top prospect for a 60-70 point center
Apr. 26 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
You don’t really think that gets Girard do you? Kuemper is the back up goalie. Got to love CF and hey here is a back up goalie and a 3rd give a top 4 dman locked up on a good contract. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Avs will be in a tight cap constraint and they will most likely get rid of their current goaltending situation with how poor it has been in the playoffs. If they lose in the first round they will definitely be looking to make a change in net.
Apr. 26 at 2:09 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
lol no, Strome isn't Zegras. But that's about what I'm going for. Top prospect for a 60-70 point center

Strome is a 60-70 point center in his prime setting up Ovechkin, Zegras put up 60+ in his rookie and sophomore seasons on what anyone could consider rather bad teams, and he just turned 23 last month. Claiming that Z is only a 60-70 point center when that's what he was able to do his first two years in the league is intellectually dishonest, there's still plenty of upside to unfold.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll