SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

v2 Discussion Thread

Aug. 25, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
if I was so against not having Philly I would have quit when I couldn't have them back.

I think bolts mean you being in like the top 7-10 in seniority, not the team specifically.
Aug. 25, 2017 at 5:08 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
I keep hearing about V2. How is it going to work? I'd like to get involved but I think some type of restart would be the best place to hop in...
Aug. 25, 2017 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
I keep hearing about V2. How is it going to work? I'd like to get involved but I think some type of restart would be the best place to hop in...

It's going to be a hard restart of the GM Game with some more rules and such, but v1 will still be active. Currently, we will have 31 GMs + 3 BOE (non-GM) members of the game. You are not currently on the list of seniority (you need to join a team); however, in the event that a GM is removed from their post (firing, inactivity, etc.) the next AGM of seniority will be the person who can get a team.

if you were to join now, you would be 4-6th person in line to get a team in v2 (after 31 of them have been claimed). I would suggest going to every team page and ask if they need an assistant so you can get added.
Aug. 25, 2017 at 5:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: phillyjabroni
if I was so against not having Philly I would have quit when I couldn't have them back.

I think bolts mean you being in like the top 7-10 in seniority, not the team specifically.

I don't care when I pick as long as I get the same opportunity to be 1 as I do to be 31 instead of just being relegated to the bottom because another game says I should be.
Aug. 25, 2017 at 6:54 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: boltscharge17

how is it fair that a GM that has been there since day 1 becomes an AGM or gets one of the worst teams?

Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to say that only the top 31 with seniority get into the draw? If V2 is a new game then why should how long you have been in V1 determine your team? You are already privileged by getting into the game based on being in V1

If you've been in V1 since the beginning and remained active throughout, you have an established track record and experience.
That brings stability to a new game and reasonable knowledge of what to expect of that GM.

It's kind of like hiring a GM IRL. Those with a track record are more likely to get their choice of postings, while those with less experience will have fewer offers or limited opportunities.
Ideally, we would be able to pick and choose and put the GM's with the best track records at the top of the order based on their V1 behavior/reputation, but since this isn't an option and is highly subjective, the next best thing is seniority.

I get the picking and choosing is tempting, but there's no objective way to do it. It would be a popularity contest and/or who was on the right side of the most "bad trades".
A full lottery only favors less established GM's, and it's in the best interest of the game to have a solid foundation of GM's with track records. Giving them priority in team selection is at least analogous to how real life opportunities are presented.

Take into account GM's that may take a team other than their bias team. You may want to go to a team you can do more with, you may have already had your favorite team in V1, you may want a challenge, etc.
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2017 at 7:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Also, i feel that a GM shouldn't be fired right after making a bad trade, even if they had already made a whole bunch of bad trades, and they could find a way to see how that player does with the team? Not sure if there's any way to find out how the player would play with the team though ...

Grounds for firing are met if a GM displays a continuous pattern of destructive trades.

yes, but for example, what if Andrew Macdonald (not saying he's bad, just using him as an example) is traded for a 1st and a 2nd in real life, they won't just fire the GM right away who traded for him, what if he plays really good there?
Aug. 25, 2017 at 8:28 p.m.

Grounds for firing are met if a GM displays a continuous pattern of destructive trades.

yes, but for example, what if Andrew Macdonald (not saying he's bad, just using him as an example) is traded for a 1st and a 2nd in real life, they won't just fire the GM right away who traded for him, what if he plays really good there?

Your hypothetical is based on zero reality. Andrew MacDonald was traded for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. He has decreased in value over that time, with his contract being an anchor on the books barring most of the decayed value. If Philadelphia traded those picks for him, I would probably start a GoFundMe for Ron Hextall so that he can get is brain re-wired. If I was Ron Hextall's boss, I would can him immediately; much like Mr. Duckworth did in MD (quack quack)
Aug. 26, 2017 at 12:08 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Your hypothetical is based on zero reality. Andrew MacDonald was traded for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. He has decreased in value over that time, with his contract being an anchor on the books barring most of the decayed value. If Philadelphia traded those picks for him, I would probably start a GoFundMe for Ron Hextall so that he can get is brain re-wired. If I was Ron Hextall's boss, I would can him immediately; much like Mr. Duckworth did in MD (quack quack)

But i'm saying, what if he played really well with the new team? Sometimes trades seem stupid but turn out good.
Aug. 26, 2017 at 12:23 a.m.

But i'm saying, what if he played really well with the new team? Sometimes trades seem stupid but turn out good.

MacDonald will never play well. In the event that he does, he will be on life support with whomever he plays with. Right now he plays with Ivan Provorov, and Provorov has to cover for him 9/10 times in the defensive zone.
Aug. 26, 2017 at 12:38 a.m.

I get what your saying. The Hall for Larsson trade seemed stupid at first but this season Larsson was one of the better/consistent players on the roster. Even though the trade was stupid, it ended up working better then anybody in Oil country had thought at the time.
Aug. 26, 2017 at 2:08 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

MacDonald will never play well. In the event that he does, he will be on life support with whomever he plays with. Right now he plays with Ivan Provorov, and Provorov has to cover for him 9/10 times in the defensive zone.

he's already a pretty good player ... but this is getting off topic.
Aug. 26, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.
Out
Hello, I just got hired as an Assistant in V1 and am immersing myself into this whole section of CF. I don't mind having a team named the Avs with no actual Avalanche players on it; however, as a newcomer, it is a bit difficult to track down any one player of my choosing. There is no central listing and team pages present their rosters differently. I assume, with the power rankings in V2, rosters will be more uniformly displayed and accurate.

Is there any desire to making searching for a player easier?
Aug. 26, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Peterman
Hello, I just got hired as an Assistant in V1 and am immersing myself into this whole section of CF. I don't mind having a team named the Avs with no actual Avalanche players on it; however, as a newcomer, it is a bit difficult to track down any one player of my choosing. There is no central listing and team pages present their rosters differently. I assume, with the power rankings in V2, rosters will be more uniformly displayed and accurate.

Is there any desire to making searching for a player easier?

Special coding isn't something that is available to us at this point in time. The only way to locate a specific player really, is to start with their originating team and track them through trades.
If you're around enough and visit team pages frequently, you start to get a feel for who has who.
I'm hoping v2 will have less player movement and more of a roster will remain intact. Time will tell.

(As for the Avs, I cleaned house intentionally. Whole organization needs a reboot imo, not just the players on the roster. Tear it down, build something new.)
Daryl liked this.
Aug. 27, 2017 at 1:23 p.m.
So are we picking the teams by preference lists? Or is it completely based off seniority
Aug. 27, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: Max
So are we picking the teams by preference lists? Or is it completely based off seniority

We go by preference lists; if we have two GMs tied for the same team, seniroty is the tiebreaker
Aug. 27, 2017 at 2:45 p.m.

We go by preference lists; if we have two GMs tied for the same team, seniroty is the tiebreaker

Ok, and the thread for the lists will be posted later today?
Aug. 27, 2017 at 2:57 p.m.

Ok, and the thread for the lists will be posted later today?

Yes sir (4:00-4:30 EST)
Aug. 27, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Wait, so what's the plan for team-picking?
Aug. 27, 2017 at 7:47 p.m.

official details to be released in 10 minutes via thread
gotta hammer it out in a clean and concise version; oh and I have to listen to some Modest Mouse while doing it so lemme search up some Bukowski
Aug. 27, 2017 at 7:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

official details to be released in 10 minutes via thread
gotta hammer it out in a clean and concise version; oh and I have to listen to some Modest Mouse while doing it so lemme search up some Bukowski

ok
Aug. 27, 2017 at 8:03 p.m.
Got delayed - just starting it now.
Aug. 27, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.
I'm down for v2 why is my name red
Aug. 27, 2017 at 9:16 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
I'm down for v2 why is my name red

I am inspecting to see when you joined.

Do you happen to recall when that happened?
Aug. 27, 2017 at 9:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Am i allowed to list as many teams as i want in the v2 team preference/claiming thread? I know it suggests 3-7 but more than that is allowed, right?
Aug. 27, 2017 at 9:48 p.m.
Am i allowed to list as many teams as i want in the v2 team preference/claiming thread? I know it suggests 3-7 but more than that is allowed, right?

I mean you get first dibs... so pick your team my friend

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll