Forums/Armchair-GM

attention fellow jets fans

Created by: tsyls
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 19, 2019
Published: Sep. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Alright I have a couple of questions for fans.

1. Do you trust Chevy?

2. If he came out and said that he has a plan for this year and it might not include doing everything to win the cup this year, would you support it?

3. How does the idea buff retiring make you guys feel?

4. Would you guys be okay with taking a year to retool and extend our window into the future or would fans hate it and want to burn the city down and fire Chevy?

The reason I ask is because if buff retires, I feel like it would be beneficial in the long run for wpg to roll the team with what they have and not make any stupid trades out of reaction. We might see our team miss the playoffs but that would give us a good chance to get a top 10 pick in the draft and pick a really solid player. This would be beneficial for the future of the team. I just don’t want Chevy to make any crazy trades to get dman just because buff retires. We could have a really good team next year if we don’t do anything this year. Think of all the cap space we’d have. We could sign a really solid RHD like hamonic who’d love to play close to home.

Anyways all in all, I’d just like your opinions as fans on all of this. Would you be okay with a down year to allow for our future window to be extended? Would you trust Chevy? I know I’m going to get some some ignorant comments from people who maybe don’t understand as much, but I also know there are a lot of you that really get hockey and I think we could get on board with this.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,500,000
6$9,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Letestpoo, Mark
1$700,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,635,834$0$405,000$4,864,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LW
UFA - 7
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$9,000,000$9,000,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
Letestpoo, Mark
$700,000$700,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
Insta Kempe_is_saad`
Laine isn't going to resign unless he gets $15M x 8 years and gets the maximum signing bonuses and gets the owner to buy him a lambo
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: Daddy_Crosby
Laine isn't going to resign unless he gets $15M x 8 years and gets the maximum signing bonuses and gets the owner to buy him a lambo

Oh ya definitely .

In all seriousness though, I could see him settling for 6x9. I mean who doesn’t love those numbers together.
Daddy_Crosby, Rooney and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
1. I trust Chevvy. He hasn't really given me a reason not to.
2. "everything to win the cup" is tough to comment on, but if Buf retires it frees up cash to make a move for a dman IMO. Chevvy still has options and stable to prospects to move
3. i love me some Big Buf. Im a season ticket holder and he is worth the price of admission and if anything he's gotten better over the last 2 years (injuries aside). It would suck to lose him, but I support his decision. If he leaves the jets need to spend that 7.6 for defensive help
4. I honestly feel the jets are still a contender if they make a move or two on D and sign their RFA's. I'd like to see them add a top 4 RSD and then strengthen the depth on the waiver wire. i get what you're saying though. The jets have a young core and one year doesnt make that much of a difference, but this team is still a good hockey team
tsyls and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:38 p.m.
I think it will heavily come down to ownership wanting to win now or not and how the players feel about essentially going into this season worse then they were last year. Based on this seasons turn over, you'd be silly to think that you should go all in and go for it. Going all in would simply bring the team to where they were last year, if even that.

If you got an old team then there is no time like the present but the core of this team is young and once Laine and Connor are dealt with, signed for the forseeable future. I mentioned this in my own AGM on the matter a couple days ago. This team has been forced, IMO, to take a step back this year in order to take two steps forward next year.

Im not encouraging tanking. Just tempering expectations for this year. If they think about this logically, its only a year and its not as if they are striping the team apart. Simply going with what they got and seeing the results.
tsyls, MisstheWhalers and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
jimmyjets
It's hard to speak for everyone but to answer your questions:

1) Yes I trust Chevy. He is steady and measured and outside of a few missteps in trying to address shortcomings of the team through UFA signings or poor trades he's done a good job.

2) Not only would I support that plan I beleive it is the prudent thing to do. Any sort of trade or signing for short term help is stupid. Buff was one of the main reasons for urgency the last few years. If he's gone we have Wheeler and Little, whose declines will be matched by improvements from Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Vesalainen.

3) Sad. I love what he brings so much. We're going to be pretty soft without him in the lineup.

4) Agree that taking this year as a step back to usher in the young D we have is the correct course of action. Would only burn down the city and fire Chevy if he made a terrible trade trying to address our RD problem with a short term solution. i.e. Trade for Pesce/Pulock = good. Trade for Faulk/Risto or an assortment of so so picks and prospects = bad.
tsyls, MisstheWhalers, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Jet69
I trust Chevy. I’m ok with a retool year. If we lose Buff maybe use some of that cap to help out some other teams in cap hell (NYR, TB, T.O etc) and maybe get a prospects/picks in return.
Play the young’uns! Let’s see what they can do. Hold on to our picks for dear life just in case we fall into lottery contenders. We struck luck making it into 2nd OA, maybe we do it again and draft a player like Byfield.
Don’t make any rash decisions/trades unless moving out older core at the TDL if we are out of contention for picks/prospects. Untouchables should be Shief/Morrissey/Ehlers/Connor/(Laine if he stays)/Niku/Helly. If someone offers up a 1st at the deadline for Little, take it and run! Try and convince Samberg to sign, he may change his mind now that he can see making the team as it’s not so backlogged.
Keep PoMo on a short leash. If he isn’t adapting or changing up his coaching from last year, send him packing.
Other than that it’s all roses!
tsyls, OldNYIfan, MisstheWhalers and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I trust Chevy, I think he needs to pay for laine and Connor now, neither may ever be a deal on a longterm deal they sign right now, but both could price themselves out of wpg, if it goes the other way. They believed enough in them to draft them and develop them, so time to get off the wallet and get them signed up. As far as defense goes, I think in time it’s going to come together, love buffy but he could be the answer for contracts to laine and Conner. This year, there is going to be some growing pains, but this team could use a Lottery pick and 6 young defenseman get a ton of minutes this year with kulikov and morrissey. Kulikov off the books next summer and pearrault the year after and possibly a sweetener to get little to Seattle and the team will be ready for a healthy run in 2 years post expansion draft, and some of the other teams in central take a dip.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
I'm a Wings fan and my opinion of him was pretty good kind of an A**hole but someone you wouldn't get the better of. Then the Trouba trade happened and it's only move I didn't agree with and I don't think that a GM should graded on one move. But from the reactions of the Winnipeg fans here I'm not sitting in the sinking ship and my view would most likely different if I was.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
TrueNorth
I trust Chevy. I would support him if he said that the team needed time to shift gears after a tumultuous summer. I don't think that the team is as doom and gloom as many think. I was at last night's game and Morrissey looked good with Niku and Poolman also impressed me. No idea yet what we are into with Pionk. TNSE must like the guy if that was the primary return for Trouba. Calgary and Carolina have to shed cap in the next two weeks so guys like Brodie, Hamonic and Faulk may be available below regular market prices. Honka seems like a logical and economical pick-up as well. If the ask for Ristolainen is as high as rumoured, Jets need no part in that. Sign Connor to a long term deal (wouldn't it be great if he realized that he is not more important to the team than Morrissey and took his deal also) before the season starts and let Laine play in Bern until he accepts that he hasn't proven enough to either a) merit a Matthews like contract and b) dictate line combinations for the team.

I truly hope Buff finds his passion for the game again. He is a singular talent and a huge part of the team both on and off the ice. Maybe the best thing is for him to rest and observe from the sidelines so that he can rejoin the team at Christmas, fired up and healthy.
tsyls, OldNYIfan, bunzy1034 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
As an outsider, I hope that both the Laine and Byfuglien situations get sorted out before the start of the season. The only "advice" (which is worth every penny you're paying for it) I could give is that no situation in human history was ever improved by panic. Your team has a great young core which has already shown results (unlike Anaheim, which has shown only promise so far). I'm with all of you that think one step back might result in multiple steps forward. Good luck! And God speed to Byfuglien.
MisstheWhalers, tsyls, bunzy1034 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: tsyls
Oh ya definitely .

In all seriousness though, I could see him settling for 6x9. I mean who doesn’t love those numbers together.

You know the number "69" is not allowed as a sweater number in the NHL. So, I guess Bettman doesn't love those numbers together.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Yeah... I trust that everything will work out. In a situation like this one, Chevy's best attribute is his patience... So, I'm confident it will be fine.

I do, however, think there should be a trade made if Buff retires. Something for either a young RHD, or an experienced one with just one or two years left on his deal (or both).... Because I think you can have both... Develop young Dmen, and still have a competitive team. Somebody like a Hamonic, Brodie... or someone like that. I don't see them pulling the trigger on a player with term.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: tsyls
Oh ya definitely .

The cleverness of this post went right over my head until @palhal woke me up.
Sep. 19, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The cleverness of this post went right over my head until @palhal woke me up.

Buddy, do you think I just sit here and think and write about hockey? Gotta me thinking, yup, if any man in the world doesn't like "69" it would be Gary Bettman.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll