Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine

Created by: OlegP
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 15, 2020
Published: Oct. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Total fantasy. Wont happen this season at least!

Haven't been the biggest fan of going all in on Laine but as good a job Bergie has done this off season, it isn't enough.
Doubtful that this pleases Jets fans despite the fact that they'll never get value for him IF traded.
The Habs absolutely need to move money out in 2021-22, as the Laine qualifying offer starts at 7.5 million.
Most likely, Danault is a cap casualty, in 2020 or 2021.
They have a potential replacement w/ Ryan Poehling in the MTL pipeline.
Danault is the perfect place holder for the kids in WPG like Perfetti, Roslovic.
It's a risky game but boom or bust when you want to be a Cup contender.

Swing for the fences! That elite sniper that they have always coveted is available (not likely this year) and with a nice Finnish connection in MTL.
Ylonen and Ikonen are coming up and will be part of the top 6 future.
Laine going to Carolina or Montreal makes a lot of sense but Montreal has a lot more cap space in 2021 with the Canes facing a cap crunch as they will have to sign Dougie Hamilton and Svechnikov in 2021.

The Habs can not afford Danault at a salary above 5 AAV in 2021
Caulfield would look great besides Cole Perfetti. The Coles are calling!

Senators get a local boy that has historically torched them.
A versatile player like Byron under 3 million will be an asset in the Nation's capital.

Buffalo gets a top6 D on the left side and whom played top4 minutes in the playoffs for under 2 million AAV.
Montour probably walks as UFA in 2021 and Colin Miller looks like an expansion casualty.
Kulak cheap deal with 2 years left is mighty attractive.
Sabres would have only 1 regular NHL'r signed in 2021-22 (Risto)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,325,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. Caufield, Cole
  3. Danault, Phillip
  4. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
OTT
  1. Byron, Paul ($450,000 retained)
MTL
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$73,224,642$0$4,007,500$8,275,358
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,325,000$1,325,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$735,000$735,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 31, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
KFTW
if Danault and Armia come with extensions, its fair imo
OlegP, Comrade and Morons liked this.
Oct. 31, 2020 at 11:44 p.m.
Serf
I have to say I do enjoy reading all the different reasons why Ottawa is a good place for the guy you’re trying to get rid of, but the old, he’s from Ottawa, is the weakest. It ranks up there with, your team drafted him, and of course he’s French so Montreal would love to have him. Montreal doesn’t want every French player, and teams aren’t prioritizing local boys for acquisition. If a team drafts a guy, then trades him, they aren’t looking to reacquire, usually. Then there’s the player that was drafted with a traded pick. Just because the pick was a teams before, doesn’t mean they want the guy chosen with it, Nick Ritchie.

Ottawa isn’t interested in Byron, not at three more years, they need roster spots for the young guys coming up.
Oct. 31, 2020 at 11:44 p.m.
While I wouldn’t mind Kulak Sabres seem to be all set with LHD. They have Dahlin, Montour who switched over to the left side and Mccabe.
Morons liked this.
Oct. 31, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: sensibleguy
I have to say I do enjoy reading all the different reasons why Ottawa is a good place for the guy you’re trying to get rid of, but the old, he’s from Ottawa, is the weakest. It ranks up there with, your team drafted him, and of course he’s French so Montreal would love to have him. Montreal doesn’t want every French player, and teams aren’t prioritizing local boys for acquisition. If a team drafts a guy, then trades him, they aren’t looking to reacquire, usually. Then there’s the player that was drafted with a traded pick. Just because the pick was a teams before, doesn’t mean they want the guy chosen with it, Nick Ritchie.

Ottawa isn’t interested in Byron, not at three more years, they need roster spots for the young guys coming up.

lol fair enough.
sensibleguy and Morons liked this.
Oct. 31, 2020 at 11:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sabres923
While I wouldn’t mind Kulak Sabres seem to be all set with LHD. They have Dahlin, Montour who switched over to the left side and Mccabe.

None are signed in 2021. That would be worrying unless its a mind ploy to get Seattle not to take a D in expansion as Montour and McCabe are UFAs
gretzkyghosts and Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: OlegP
None are signed in 2021. That would be worrying unless its a mind ploy to get Seattle not to take a D in expansion as Montour and McCabe are UFAs

They will have Samuelson coming up they will most likely re-sign Mccabe. Hopefully Seattle takes Ristolainen.
Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:09 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sabres923
They will have Samuelson coming up they will most likely re-sign Mccabe. Hopefully Seattle takes Ristolainen.

Really eh Risto?!? Ppl seem pretty split on Risto. Analytics are terrible but he doe play the tough minutes
gretzkyghosts and Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:53 a.m.
No chance Winnipeg even looks at that deal.
arafay and Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:55 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Windjammer
No chance Winnipeg even looks at that deal.

You're late to the party. I strictly waited for you. Pfft
Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:56 a.m.
You're late to the party. I strictly waited for you. Pfft

Thanks.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 1:10 a.m.
Quoting: csick
if Danault and Armia come with extensions, its fair imo

Yes value wise but not what the jets need. They aren’t going to trade him for the sake of trading him.

You know my stance on a laine trade, there is almost no quantity coming the other way that would make me trade laine over signing him. I said quantity because if we can get a guy like makar for him (ik it won’t happen) then it’s a different story.
Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 1:11 a.m.
Doesn’t make sense for Winnipeg. This is effectively only a downgrade for them and it doesn’t fill their needs at all. Jets decline easily.
Windjammer liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 1:14 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: arafay
Doesn’t make sense for Winnipeg. This is effectively only a downgrade for them and it doesn’t fill their needs at all. Jets decline easily.

lol ok
Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
I think if Armia is extended and Danault is extended it’s close. It’s so tough because jets would need to address serious issues, Danault is kind of meh considering we have Stastny but I mean if he’s extended at a reasonable price it makes sense. I honestly think that Caulfield + Danault + Armia + Chiarot + 2nd for Laine + Niku is close. Jets solve 2C + 2LD, while also acquiring a solid middle six winger and a really good prospect. This also could work for MTL as they keep their 1st while also clearing a bit of cap to get laine resigned. This all only works if Armia and Danault at extended at a reasonable amount
OlegP and Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: tsyls
I think if Armia is extended and Danault is extended it’s close. It’s so tough because jets would need to address serious issues, Danault is kind of meh considering we have Stastny but I mean if he’s extended at a reasonable price it makes sense. I honestly think that Caulfield + Danault + Armia + Chiarot + 2nd for Laine + Niku is close. Jets solve 2C + 2LD, while also acquiring a solid middle six winger and a really good prospect. This also could work for MTL as they keep their 1st while also clearing a bit of cap to get laine resigned. This all only works if Armia and Danault at extended at a reasonable amount

I didn't think Chiarot would be worthwhile but instead of giving up a 1st round pick?! Habs would easily do that trade.
Mtl has so much coming on the left side, Chiarot is expendable, especially, as they need to create room for Norlinder, Harris and Guhle at cheaper ELCs.
RD depth is thin. Not exactly high on Niku but that wouldn't stop that trade from happening.
I like Danault a lot. Plays the tough minutes and will never hurt you, they simply don't have the room up the middle or money for him if Laine will be getting 8 plus million in 2021 and you have the bonus overages from Suzuki and KK.

The fact that Winnipeg will need a top2 center (I dont think you can play Perfetti up the middle. Especially on a Maurice coached team.) Montreal cant pay Danault. Mtl has 14 picks in 2021 draft. Caulfield would also be another potential sniper ala Mini Laine. It could be a fit as the money would work.

A lot of teams wouldn't be able to pay Laine but the Habs have a lot of ELCs along with not a single forward making over 5.5 million.
Jets will have a difficult time finding a trade partner IF Laine is traded because the money both ways will be so tight under the cap. Salary will have to be moved both ways otherwise it cant happen unless Laine goes to the Sens or Wings.
Kings could have maybe made room (doubtful unless Jets take Brown or Carter) but most of their money comes off the books in 2022 as they don't have a single UFA in 2021.
Very complicated trade to make for Jets to address "their needs" as I keep hearing.
Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Rare for any 2nd round pick to become a top 6 forward in the NHL let alone 2 from one team especially when Ylonen is scoring moderately in liiga

He and Ikonen are lucky to end up like Sammy Blais

No joke realities are sobering for mid level prospects
Nov. 1, 2020 at 11:22 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Radu47
Rare for any 2nd round pick to become a top 6 forward in the NHL let alone 2 from one team especially when Ylonen is scoring moderately in liiga

He and Ikonen are lucky to end up like Sammy Blais

No joke realities are sobering for mid level prospects

Ikonen can't even stay on the ice rn so that is the problem.
Habs have most of their prospect help coming up the middle and on the left side of defence. Ylonen as a top6 may be overly optimistic.
Thats why this Josh Anderson bet has a lot riding on it as players like Tatar and Armia most likely walk in 2021. That's the great game tho. Best laid plans.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:08 p.m.
I didn't think Chiarot would be worthwhile but instead of giving up a 1st round pick?! Habs would easily do that trade.
Mtl has so much coming on the left side, Chiarot is expendable, especially, as they need to create room for Norlinder, Harris and Guhle at cheaper ELCs.
RD depth is thin. Not exactly high on Niku but that wouldn't stop that trade from happening.
I like Danault a lot. Plays the tough minutes and will never hurt you, they simply don't have the room up the middle or money for him if Laine will be getting 8 plus million in 2021 and you have the bonus overages from Suzuki and KK.

The fact that Winnipeg will need a top2 center (I dont think you can play Perfetti up the middle. Especially on a Maurice coached team.) Montreal cant pay Danault. Mtl has 14 picks in 2021 draft. Caulfield would also be another potential sniper ala Mini Laine. It could be a fit as the money would work.

A lot of teams wouldn't be able to pay Laine but the Habs have a lot of ELCs along with not a single forward making over 5.5 million.
Jets will have a difficult time finding a trade partner IF Laine is traded because the money both ways will be so tight under the cap. Salary will have to be moved both ways otherwise it cant happen unless Laine goes to the Sens or Wings.
Kings could have maybe made room (doubtful unless Jets take Brown or Carter) but most of their money comes off the books in 2022 as they don't have a single UFA in 2021.
Very complicated trade to make for Jets to address "their needs" as I keep hearing.

Yeah I honestly doubt laine gets moved, just due to how hard it would be to find the right fit. My thought process behind swapping Chiarot in over the 1st was that MTL needs to move some cap, while also clearing up a log jam. Jets need a 2LD badly, while I think that this helps MTL more than wpg considering they keep their first. I really hope perfetti can play C, but with Maurice it’ll be another Roslovic situation and he’ll never get the chance LOL. Idk maybe MTL wins the trade too much but it’s just tough to value a laine trade. Like do the jets want a few solid roster players over prospects and picks? Or do they want a roster player and a top prospect?? Like who knows
OlegP liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tsyls
Yeah I honestly doubt laine gets moved, just due to how hard it would be to find the right fit. My thought process behind swapping Chiarot in over the 1st was that MTL needs to move some cap, while also clearing up a log jam. Jets need a 2LD badly, while I think that this helps MTL more than wpg considering they keep their first. I really hope perfetti can play C, but with Maurice it’ll be another Roslovic situation and he’ll never get the chance LOL. Idk maybe MTL wins the trade too much but it’s just tough to value a laine trade. Like do the jets want a few solid roster players over prospects and picks? Or do they want a roster player and a top prospect?? Like who knows

Agreed. Jets will never win a Laine trade. Almost always the best player in the trade, tips the scales. If we are gonna entertain it, the money has to work, first of all, then the rest, honestly, is just filler. The Jets wont get value for Laine! They have to pray some of the prospects hit is their best bet ala Peter Forsberg
Anyone that thinks the Jets can get value for a star player in a package trade, they haven't paid close attention to history e.g. Sundin, Patrick Roy, etc for those roster player trades.
The Lindros trade ended up being a ton of value solely because of Forsberg but the Flyers got the big punch in the arm right away, the Nords had things pay off only too late when the team moved to the American Rockies !
tsyls and Morons liked this.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
Agreed. Jets will never win a Laine trade. Almost always the best player in the trade, tips the scales. If we are gonna entertain it, the money has to work, first of all, then the rest, honestly, is just filler. The Jets wont get value for Laine! They have to pray some of the prospects hit is their best bet ala Peter Forsberg
Anyone that thinks the Jets can get value for a star player in a package trade, they haven't paid close attention to history e.g. Sundin, Patrick Roy, etc for those roster player trades.
The Lindros trade ended up being a ton of value solely because of Forsberg but the Flyers got the big punch in the arm right away, the Nords had things pay off only too late when the team moved to the American Rockies !

Yeah it really is hard to move any star player and get value, like Karlsson to SJ was an anomaly (OTT got lucky SJ was awful). Idk I think Jets are better off keeping laine. Ideally a Laine to MTL deal to me looks like Laine for Caulfield + Danault (extended) + Chiarot + 1st but even then, I still think MTL wins that trade.
Nov. 1, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Banned
The only reason I see Montreal being comfortable trading Danault is because of the money that will be due in 2021 and beyond. Kk and Suzuki taking on those tough matchups right away is not ideal but you have to give here. Caulfield is untouchable unless you get an impact player like Laine. 1st and 2nd rounder is a lot for any player which was the basis of the SJ trade til Karlsson signed long term with SJ giving Ottawa another first round pick.
Then you have Armia/Chiarot both valued by Winnipeg in the recent past. No NTC to manoeuvre. Money works. Jets get hope to sell the fans and immediate help.

I don’t see any scenario where a Laine trade is better unless Carolina is comfortable trading Hamilton or Slavin (non starter) with Necas. They’d be foolish to do those trades with leverage on their side as well.

Laine for Nick Suzuki plus is ridiculous. That would never ever happen. Caulfield is stretching it but Cole isn’t proven. Suzuki traded at this point for a winger albeit elite does not fit. It would be the same as the Jets trading Scheifele for a star winger a few years back. Does not happen in this league
Morons liked this.
Nov. 3, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
Wreckless

It's hard to make the case for the Habs trading Byron. I know that on the surface the cap hit looks high, but he's nowhere near the top of my list of players that I think we should look at moving to create cap space. It's hard to undervalue just how different the team looks when he's part of the lineup. Probably one of the hardest working players in the league at the same time.

That being said, the notion that Ottawa wouldn't either want or need a player like Byron, who's an assistant captain on our team for a reason, is probably coming from someone who's not basing their opinion on very much. Exactly for the reason that you have young players is why you would want to surround them with a player and human being like Paul Byron. Plus he would instantly make your team (and especially his two linesmates) better.
OlegP liked this.
Nov. 3, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Wreckless
It's hard to make the case for the Habs trading Byron. I know that on the surface the cap hit looks high, but he's nowhere near the top of my list of players that I think we should look at moving to create cap space. It's hard to undervalue just how different the team looks when he's part of the lineup. Probably one of the hardest working players in the league at the same time.

That being said, the notion that Ottawa wouldn't either want or need a player like Byron, who's an assistant captain on our team for a reason, is probably coming from someone who's not basing their opinion on very much. Exactly for the reason that you have young players is why you would want to surround them with a player and human being like Paul Byron. Plus he would instantly make your team (and especially his two linesmates) better.

Just because Byron fits in Montreal doesn't mean he fits in Ottawa. Ottawa has their leadership core already, they don't need anyone else, regardless of how good a leader they appear to be. I word it like that because I'm not aware of Byron's leadership qualities. Yes I know he wears an A, and is 31, and has 448+16 NHL games, but so what. That doesn't make him the only guy capable of being a leader. Ottawa has their own leaders already, just like every other team.

Ottawa needs roster spots for the young guys, maybe 5 this season, and maybe another 5 next season. Trading for a guy they don't need doesn't help the attrition they will need to make roster spots available. Byron has three years left on his contract, that's too long, and he's 31, he doesn't fit the way this team is being built. Don't cite Dadonov, because Byron is no Dadonov.

I'm sorry you don't understand, but I don't know how to make this any clearer. Keep your guy, he's a decent player, just not what Ottawa needs.
Nov. 3, 2020 at 10:07 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Wreckless

BTW, I should add, I'm a Byron fan.

The first time I saw Byron play, my very first reaction was, I like this guy. I noticed him immediately, looked him up. I originally bought my first Ipad just for checking out players I wasn't familiar with during the game. So just be aware, you're chatting with a guy who really likes your player.
Nov. 3, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.
Wreckless
Just because Byron fits in Montreal doesn't mean he fits in Ottawa. Ottawa has their leadership core already, they don't need anyone else, regardless of how good a leader they appear to be. I word it like that because I'm not aware of Byron's leadership qualities. Yes I know he wears an A, and is 31, and has 448+16 NHL games, but so what. That doesn't make him the only guy capable of being a leader. Ottawa has their own leaders already, just like every other team.

Ottawa needs roster spots for the young guys, maybe 5 this season, and maybe another 5 next season. Trading for a guy they don't need doesn't help the attrition they will need to make roster spots available. Byron has three years left on his contract, that's too long, and he's 31, he doesn't fit the way this team is being built. Don't cite Dadonov, because Byron is no Dadonov.

I'm sorry you don't understand, but I don't know how to make this any clearer. Keep your guy, he's a decent player, just not what Ottawa needs.

It's fine, we just have a difference of opinion. For me, in the same way that a 31 year old Dadonov at 3x$5mm makes sense for Ottawa, Byron at 3x$3.4mm would also. The narrative of "being able to play up and down your lineup" is definitely overused, but I can't think of a player that it would apply to more than Byron.
Out of curiosity, who's wearing letters for the Sens currently? They're one of the rare teams on this site that don't have anyone listed.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll