Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander Trade Pros and Cons

Created by: BulinWall
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 4, 2020
Published: Dec. 5, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I guess Burkie’s comments got to everyone. Uhh a top 4 RD would definitely help this team but Nylander was lights out last season. At the same time he’s probably the most moveable higher cap hit forward aside from Matthews on the roster. A great scenario would be similar to the Drouin-Sergachev trade where the leafs get a D man in his first year of his ELC for Nylander. Drouin got called up from the minors and played unbelievable for the rest of the regular season (remember his 3 on 3 goal against the Avalanche) and playoffs and it looks similar to Nylander right now. We don’t know if Nylander can replicate this season so if we were to trade him the best time would be now. But finding a stud on an ELC that can play this upcoming season will be a hard task. On top of that, the leafs have 7 NHL D men ready to play next season. What RD on an ELC is worth a 30 goal scorer in a 1 for 1 deal and can play for us in this upcoming season or at most next season? It’s probably one of the guys drafted 2 months ago like Drysdale or Sanderson. OTT is rebuilding but ANA has a good mix of vets and can really use an elite RW. Or take a crack at a guy like The ELC will help TOR with the resigning of Morgan Rielly who is arguably more important to this franchise than Nylander. The extra cap space helps with resigning Andersen as well so it could be a good move for the future of this team. We need to prolong tearing apart this team till after the Stanley cup parade.

Pros: The Leafs D is one RD away from being elite, It’ll allow for an extra spot in the lineup for Robertson to get in, Will help our horrible GA numbers from last year, Could be the missing piece for a deep playoff run

Cons: Defensemen are weird/unpredictable where young ones can look unbelievable then level off (Myers, Ghost, Schultz, Trouba, Larsson (must have shown some flashes to be moved for Hall), Risto, Carlo (still good but I think his ceiling was over hyped), Hanifin, etc. As well, managements gonna catch it if Nylander becomes one of the top players in the league and we end up with an average RD, there’s a lot of pressure for a kid to come into Toronto as our savior, Could be a bust.

Dunno..
Trades
ANA
    William Nylander
    ARI
      William Nylander
      SJS
        William Nylander
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        29$81,500,000$95,848,075$0$1,150,000-$14,348,075
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $11,640,250$11,640,250
        C
        UFA - 4
        $10,903,000$10,903,000
        RW
        UFA - 5
        $821,667$821,667
        LW, RW
        RFA - 4
        $11,000,000$11,000,000
        C, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 3
        $700,000$700,000
        C, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $1,645,000$1,645,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        RW, LW
        NTC
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
        $2,800,000$2,800,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $6,962,366$6,962,366
        RW
        UFA - 4
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,625,000$5,625,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD/RD
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $1,650,000$1,650,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RD
        RFA - 3
        $894,167$894,167
        LD
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the San Jose Sharks
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
        $894,167$894,167
        RD
        RFA - 4
        $874,125$874,125
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        RD
        NTC
        UFA - 1
        $925,000$925,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
        Im liking that Drysdale trade
        BulinWall liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
        Banned
        A few months back, around September, one NHL reporter said how NHL GM's don't see anything special about Nylander. They believe Dubas is overvaluing him to an extent where a trade can't be made.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
        Smythe.over.Hart
        Despite all of the negative comments that will come with this I like that you’re being quite objective in this topic.
        My personal opinion is the leafs wait till next off season to move someone. Too many unknowns right now.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:09 a.m.
        Every single kne of those trades makes the leafs worse for the next 2-3 years at least and thats if the traded for players are as good as they can be knce developed
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:15 a.m.
        Meh
        Sergachev was a great deal because he was and is a big talented D-man. The Leafs have no desire (or room, or ability) to bring their current small D prospects into the lineup, let alone new ones.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Thanks for the post. I definitely disagree tho. By subtracting Nylander for a top RD you are just filling one hole and digging another one. Is it justifiable to trade one of your best players, who, in this past season had 31 goals and is the cheapest of the “big four”?
        There were only three players (David Pastrnak, Mika Zibanejad and Nathan MacKinnon) who had more goals and had a cheaper contract. One of those players has been titled by some as ‘The Best Player in the World’, another is on an incredible team-friendly deal and there’s Zibanejad, who scored 40 goals this season for the first time in his career.
        Nylander also had the most High Danger Goals For with 1.78 per 60 minutes. A lot of people say he’s the best perimeter goal scorer on the Maple Leafs and even — one of the best in the entire league. He’s just entering his prime and if you were to trade him you’d be taking a big hit to your offense.

He’s shown he can be a dominant puck carrier, an incredible perimeter goal scorer and someone who I believe has a role on the Toronto Maple Leafs for the rest of his career. Each NHL team needs depth in their group if they want to compete for the Stanley Cup and if you take out Nylander, your depth diminishes.

Unless you name is Peter Chiarelli, you don’t trade elite forwards under 24, on a very reasonable contract, for a RD.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
        Thanks for the post. I definitely disagree tho. By subtracting Nylander for a top RD you are just filling one hole and digging another one. Is it justifiable to trade one of your best players, who, in this past season had 31 goals and is the cheapest of the “big four”?
        There were only three players (David Pastrnak, Mika Zibanejad and Nathan MacKinnon) who had more goals and had a cheaper contract. One of those players has been titled by some as ‘The Best Player in the World’, another is on an incredible team-friendly deal and there’s Zibanejad, who scored 40 goals this season for the first time in his career.
        Nylander also had the most High Danger Goals For with 1.78 per 60 minutes. A lot of people say he’s the best perimeter goal scorer on the Maple Leafs and even — one of the best in the entire league. He’s just entering his prime and if you were to trade him you’d be taking a big hit to your offense.

He’s shown he can be a dominant puck carrier, an incredible perimeter goal scorer and someone who I believe has a role on the Toronto Maple Leafs for the rest of his career. Each NHL team needs depth in their group if they want to compete for the Stanley Cup and if you take out Nylander, your depth diminishes.

Unless you name is Peter Chiarelli, you don’t trade elite forwards under 24, on a very reasonable contract, for a RD.

Nylander is easily replaceable.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:18 a.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Quoting: TheLeafsSeason

🤦‍♂️ I think you need to edit your favourite team
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
        Banned
        🤦‍♂️ I think you need to edit your favourite team

Ohh no I'm harshly critiquing a Leafs player so I'm not a fan. Ohh no.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
        TheBulinWall

Sure those are amazing numbers but he isn’t playing with scrubs. He’s playing with Matthews and Tavares who are two premier centers. Tavares has gotten a lot of his wingers paid extremely well and then go on to play subpar after he leaves. I’m not saying anyone next to Tavares will score 30 but bring in someone like Robertson on Tavares’ wing and I think it’ll help replace a good amount of those goals. And remember in Game 5 when Nylander had to center his own line with Hymen and Johnsson and it looked lost. Obv he hasn’t played center in a while but they didn’t generate anything together. The big 3 is Tavares, Matthews and Marner and that’s why they were put together on that all star line and they were extremely dangerous. The rest of the team including Nylander were pedestrian. Wouldn’t it be cool to bring in a cheaper winger that can also play center so they can throw out that all star line from time to time?
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
        *5 min after the leafs trade nylander*

the leafs top 6 is one playmaking winger away from being elite [...]
        MatthewsFan, BulinWall, sensibleguy and 4 others liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:34 a.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Quoting: BulinWall
        Sure those are amazing numbers but he isn’t playing with scrubs. He’s playing with Matthews and Tavares who are two premier centers. Tavares has gotten a lot of his wingers paid extremely well and then go on to play subpar after he leaves. I’m not saying anyone next to Tavares will score 30 but bring in someone like Robertson on Tavares’ wing and I think it’ll help replace a good amount of those goals. And remember in Game 5 when Nylander had to center his own line with Hymen and Johnsson and it looked lost. Obv he hasn’t played center in a while but they didn’t generate anything together. The big 3 is Tavares, Matthews and Marner and that’s why they were put together on that all star line and they were extremely dangerous. The rest of the team including Nylander were pedestrian. Wouldn’t it be cool to bring in a cheaper winger that can also play center so they can throw out that all star line from time to time?

Really? Your going to be hard on Willy for game 5. He’s played like what, maybe a handful of games at C in the NHL and you expected him to drive a line comprised of Hyman and Johnsson(who was just coming back from injury). You have a high standard lol. I am also high on Robertson but I’ll take my cake and eat it too. Why not have a top six of:
        Nylander Matthews Hyman
        Robertson Tavares Marner
        Have fun matching up with that
        chungus and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
        Xx_Zegras46_xX
        You’re nuts if you think Anaheim would give up Drysdale right now
        MatthewsFan and bunnymcfoo liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Quoting: Lyle_Bubas

👆🏻This
        chungus, Revans292, bunnymcfoo and 1 other person liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
        TheBulinWall
        Really? Your going to be hard on Willy for game 5. He’s played like what, maybe a handful of games at C in the NHL and you expected him to drive a line comprised of Hyman and Johnsson(who was just coming back from injury). You have a high standard lol. I am also high on Robertson but I’ll take my cake and eat it too. Why not have a top six of:
        Nylander Matthews Hyman
        Robertson Tavares Marner
        Have fun matching up with that

Hymen scored more than 20 goals last season he’s a good player. I’m not saying score but they didn’t generate anything. Even the Kerfoot line looked better. That would be cool. I agree but with the flat cap and the Matthews/Marner contracts walking them to free agency giving them the leverage in contract negotiations. It’s very unorthodox this team lol it’s confusing and I just wanna watch them make a deep run. Why they trying to be different this isn’t really the league for that.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Hymen scored more than 20 goals last season he’s a good player. I’m not saying score but they didn’t generate anything. Even the Kerfoot line looked better. That would be cool. I agree but with the flat cap and the Matthews/Marner contracts walking them to free agency giving them the leverage in contract negotiations. It’s very unorthodox this team lol it’s confusing and I just wanna watch them make a deep run. Why they trying to be different this isn’t really the league for that.

Again, I think criticizing Nylander for a poor game 5 makes no sense. He was not setup for success. Having the top line loaded was only good if they scored because they f—ked up the rest of the lines. Which they didn’t score.

I am a huge homer, no doubt. I love that we lucked out drafting Nylander and Marner, Matthews was a no brainer. I hate that we signed JT and even have to have this discussion about trading one of the Leafs young stars
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Burke comes on TV and sounds and looks like the knowledgable professor. Certainly in his Leaf tenure he knew little about evaluating talent, so I don't know why folks believe anyway he says. He's a TV personality, nothing more.
        I don't have any problem with Nylander and his play on the ice. But in order to trade him, teams will be looking to move equal money on his 7m X 4 years contract. Certainly Anahem could keep their two futures you much in a trade and then spend 7m on a UFA, and be better off than any trade
        To think "the Leafs D are just a "one RHD away from being elite". C'mon that just CapFriendly fantasy. But to think the Leaf can be elite next season without Kapanen and Nylander on the right wing, and an iffy group of LWers. Leafs look pretty average to me regardless of any trades than can be made. Only real way to be better if many players have career years
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
        Grierless Sharks Fan
        I can see a trade being worked out with the Sharks/Leafs with those two players as the main pieces.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
        TheBulinWall
        Again, I think criticizing Nylander for a poor game 5 makes no sense. He was not setup for success. Having the top line loaded was only good if they scored because they f—ked up the rest of the lines. Which they didn’t score.

I am a huge homer, no doubt. I love that we lucked out drafting Nylander and Marner, Matthews was a no brainer. I hate that we signed JT and even have to have this discussion about trading one of the Leafs young stars

Yea same Tavares was a good idea at the time cause no one thought Marner, Nylander and Matthews would be so effective so early. But now it’s put the team in a bind. They can always try to draft well but even with that. If the future is Hymen-Matthews-Marner and Robertson-Tavares-Nylander why draft Amirov so high up when Schneider was available. The top 6 is solidified for the next couple years. Who knows Holl may end up being the next Anton Stralman and figure it out later on in his career
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
        I heff to be mad...
        Imo I hate the Sharks trade but the Ducks one is pretty close
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
        Serf
        A few months back, around September, one NHL reporter said how NHL GM's don't see anything special about Nylander. They believe Dubas is overvaluing him to an extent where a trade can't be made.

Quoting: faulkmydzingel
        Despite all of the negative comments that will come with this I like that you’re being quite objective in this topic.
        My personal opinion is the leafs wait till next off season to move someone. Too many unknowns right now.

Quoting: Miles_Togo
        Sergachev was a great deal because he was and is a big talented D-man. The Leafs have no desire (or room, or ability) to bring their current small D prospects into the lineup, let alone new ones.

Quoting: Lyle_Bubas

Quoting: palhal
        Burke comes on TV and sounds and looks like the knowledgable professor. Certainly in his Leaf tenure he knew little about evaluating talent, so I don't know why folks believe anyway he says. He's a TV personality, nothing more.
        I don't have any problem with Nylander and his play on the ice. But in order to trade him, teams will be looking to move equal money on his 7m X 4 years contract. Certainly Anahem could keep their two futures you much in a trade and then spend 7m on a UFA, and be better off than any trade
        To think "the Leafs D are just a "one RHD away from being elite". C'mon that just CapFriendly fantasy. But to think the Leaf can be elite next season without Kapanen and Nylander on the right wing, and an iffy group of LWers. Leafs look pretty average to me regardless of any trades than can be made. Only real way to be better if many players have career years

I tagged anyone who had a reasonable comment, expanded on their opinions, or I know has posted quality comments in the past.

I just posted a trade in the trade machine, and I'd like some feedback, positive or negative, just keep it on topic, insults aside, lol.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trade-machine/4105

Nylander for Fabbro & Kunin, plus balancers
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
        I heff to be mad...
        I was dreaming that the Leafs did this:

Ducks get:
        William Nylander
        15th ovr (Kaiden Guhle)

Leafs get:
        Josh Manson
        6th ovr (Jamie Drysdale)
        BulinWall liked this.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Yea same Tavares was a good idea at the time cause no one thought Marner, Nylander and Matthews would be so effective so early. But now it’s put the team in a bind. They can always try to draft well but even with that. If the future is Hymen-Matthews-Marner and Robertson-Tavares-Nylander why draft Amirov so high up when Schneider was available. The top 6 is solidified for the next couple years. Who knows Holl may end up being the next Anton Stralman and figure it out later on in his career

I love the Amirov pick! I don’t love Schneider, Schenn 2.0 to be. If they wanted a D and trade back I liked Grans. He looks awesome. Agreed the bed is made and they need to figure it out how to make it work with the big 4. Drafting and developing will be very key in a flat cap. Dubas and co did a fantastic job on the 2020 draft.
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 12:45 p.m.
        TheBulinWall
        I love the Amirov pick! I don’t love Schneider, Schenn 2.0 to be. If they wanted a D and trade back I liked Grans. He looks awesome. Agreed the bed is made and they need to figure it out how to make it work with the big 4. Drafting and developing will be very key in a flat cap. Dubas and co did a fantastic job on the 2020 draft.

Lol Schenn 2.0? You mean aka Scott Stevens 2.0. Yea hope so didn’t really follow the draft who are you high on from the leafs draft picks
        Dec. 5, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
        Ovchinnikov 137
        Lol Schenn 2.0? You mean aka Scott Stevens 2.0. Yea hope so didn’t really follow the draft who are you high on from the leafs draft picks

Love the first eight picks, nobody looking back that I would change. The last 4 not so much:
        Miller - Miktakhov (TB)
        Fusco - Persson (VAN)
        Schingoethe - Pashin (CAR)
        Tverberg - Gogolov or Suni ( can’t believe they didn’t get selected)

I really think they found a diamond in Ovchinnikov

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll