SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Discussion Thread #9 - Happy Holidays

Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Db1899
Lmao that’s brutal

Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Did you take into account that Nick Ritchie is 6ft 3" in that assessment?

Quoting: MatthewsFan
FCVnlGrXoAQbGxQ?format=jpg&name=large

I hear ya

Isn’t it crazy that Nylander went from being hung by fans, than he popped off and got almost no praise for the entire duration.

I mean I talked **** about Nylander back in the day but he really shut myself up but got generally little praise for a long time.
A_Habs_fan, zk97, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Well that’s 2017 but also most people don’t understand the value of prospects. That’s seems to be just before Barzal first year I assume. Which either way Barzal was the guy I wanted the Sharks to draft at 9. Barzal was a elite prospect.

Like Barzal to hockey fans in 2017 before he broke out was really nothing. A lot of fans don’t care about prospects but follow hockey closely. Then a lot of fans follow hockey but not closely so than they even farther behind. Than there’s casual Hometown fans who really don’t know anything.

Like a good example would be friend who enjoys hockey but doesn’t follow it too closely (he was a wicked player tho, whereas I wasn’t close to his abilities) - will ask me about hockey things. Like he thought when Bishop retired that Bishop was “just a good goalie” and I had to explain to him how good Bishop really was (as he’s been in Dallas and Tampa; two non Canadian teams).

So you’ll see a lot of crap on Twitter haha from randos.

Yeah these are good points but a lot of the isles bloggers claim that they follow the prospects closely and they still come up with insane trade proposals. Barzal had a 47 NHLE in his D+2 (last year in juniors) and was trending towards being a 1C , but fans always overrate other teams players. You’re right about the fanbase, but a lot of them have seen their trade proposals in the past turn out to look terrible. A lot of them are arrogant af too, like I still see isles fans claim that trading Devon Toews was the right move and now they want to trade a bunch of assets for a worse defenseman lol
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
Well that’s 2017 but also most people don’t understand the value of prospects. That’s seems to be just before Barzal first year I assume. Which either way Barzal was the guy I wanted the Sharks to draft at 9. Barzal was a elite prospect.

Like Barzal to hockey fans in 2017 before he broke out was really nothing. A lot of fans don’t care about prospects but follow hockey closely. Then a lot of fans follow hockey but not closely so than they even farther behind. Than there’s casual Hometown fans who really don’t know anything.

Like a good example would be friend who enjoys hockey but doesn’t follow it too closely (he was a wicked player tho, whereas I wasn’t close to his abilities) - will ask me about hockey things. Like he thought when Bishop retired that Bishop was “just a good goalie” and I had to explain to him how good Bishop really was (as he’s been in Dallas and Tampa; two non Canadian teams).

So you’ll see a lot of crap on Twitter haha from randos.

I’m the type of fan that follows hockey and the draft closely but doesn’t watch it which is kinda counterproductive
yikes and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Yeah these are good points but a lot of the isles bloggers claim that they follow the prospects closely and they still come up with insane trade proposals. Barzal had a 47 NHLE in his D+2 (last year in juniors) and was trending towards being a 1C , but fans always overrate other teams players. You’re right about the fanbase, but a lot of them have seen their trade proposals in the past turn out to look terrible. A lot of them are arrogant af too, like I still see isles fans claim that trading Devon Toews was the right move and now they want to trade a bunch of assets for a worse defenseman lol

Oh the Isles have arguably the stupidest coverage out of any fan base. Like a quick example - a majority of the Sens coverage in Ottawa is logical, calm and collected and generally I find them super enjoyable even if I disagree with them.

Whereas generally most things I see from Isles coverage (larger writers, to smaller insiders etc) have just some of the most bizarre and one sided opinions; with some of the stupidest things being said.

Let’s rile up @AndrewLadd
A_Habs_fan, Db1899, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Isn’t it crazy that Nylander went from being hung by fans, than he popped off and got almost no praise for the entire duration.

I mean I talked **** about Nylander back in the day but he really shut myself up but got generally little praise for a long time.

Nylander is pretty underrated, he did great in the Leafs-Habs playoff series but he’s stuck behind Matthews, Marner, JT, etc
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: MatthewsFan
FCVnlGrXoAQbGxQ?format=jpg&name=large

I hear ya

they got ritchie in the end which is a W in my books lul
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I’m the type of fan that follows hockey and the draft closely but doesn’t watch it which is kinda counterproductive

I generally watch the Sharks, World Juniors (entirely, almost every game), and select prospect games/ highlights and then I try to watch the entire playoffs, and follow prospects closely (through articles, stats, games, etc).

I rarely watch other NHL team games except for recaps (instead of spending two hours I’ll look for the like 15 min breakdowns of games (with actual sequences being shown not just 8 min highlights) that I wanna watch that aren’t Sharks games).

Like I’ll watch McDavid and stars. But you won’t catch me watching a Nashville vs Blues game ( I just don’t care enough ).
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Edited Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.

In a sense, yeah it's crazy. Like it's not unexpected because a lot of people can't bring themselves to admit they were wrong, even about something so trivial. But seeing as the majority of the criticism he faced was from within the fanbase that cheers for the team he's on, you would think they'd be willing to get behind his success.
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Oh don’t even start on the Toews trade. That trade is so bad in hindsight. The Isles, not even desperately, they’re worse than desperate; would kill for Toews back.

But “LoU DiD GooD, tHE TrADE HaD tO Be DoNE anD Got A gOOd REtuRN”
zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Oh the Isles have arguably the stupidest coverage out of any fan base. Like a quick example - a majority of the Sens coverage in Ottawa is logical, calm and collected and generally I find them super enjoyable even if I disagree with them.

Whereas generally most things I see from Isles coverage (larger writers, to smaller insiders etc) have just some of the most bizarre and one sided opinions; with some of the stupidest things being said.

Let’s rile up AndrewLadd

Lol yeah you’re right. Any thoughts on Kevin Kurz? Hopefully he’s better at covering the isles than this guy

capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
Oh don’t even start on the Toews trade. That trade is so bad in hindsight. The Isles, not even desperately, they’re worse than desperate; would kill for Toews back.

The Toews trade was brutal because they traded a top pair D who they could have signed to an under market value contract. The isles top pair is set, Dobson is starting to break out, but yeah the isles need someone to fill that 2LD spot and it would be a luxury to have a top pair guy on your 2nd pair.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Lol yeah you’re right. Any thoughts on Kevin Kurz? Hopefully he’s better at covering the isles than this guy

A lot of fans from the Sharks have such differing opinions on Kurz. He’s on the athletic so I don’t get to read of a lot of his stuff but I didn’t mind his opinions and takes usually. I think he was quite useful and said things that other guys wouldn’t say sometimes. Or he would just be blunt which is good sometimes.

I think he annoyed people, and he started the Kane stories (with the article about the teams displeasure after the season). Idk if he’s incorrect on it or if it was just a few guys not the whole team etc etc. But some people do not like him.

He had some solid stories on the athletic tho hidden behind that pay wall lmao.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
A lot of fans from the Sharks have such differing opinions on Kurz. He’s on the athletic so I don’t get to read of a lot of his stuff but I didn’t mind his opinions and takes usually. I think he was quite useful and said things that other guys wouldn’t say sometimes. Or he would just be blunt which is good sometimes.

I think he annoyed people, and he started the Kane rumours (with the article about the teams displeasure after the season).

He sounds better than Arthur Staple already
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.

Any site that is pretty much made for the fans to interact and give opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Any site that is pretty much made for the fans to interact and give opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt

I get what you’re saying , but every isles writer has a similar opinion to this. It’s insane.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.

If I remember correctly there were 3 trades proposed

That one (Ritchie + Montour)

Kase + Montour for Nylander (lul Kase be on the team rn with Ritchie)

and the the third was

Parayko for Nylander 1 for 1

Then you got the rumoured if blues sucked 2 more weeks before that amazing run Pitrangelo was gonna go for nylander blah blah blah but yeah not great

Nylanders value rn is at an all time high. If they do decide to move him man the packages would be huge. Good thing we didnt move him as man these would be bad

The only trade from Anaheim that would have worked but they dumped him to Vegas was

Theodore + Rakell or something
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
The amount of people that supported that Chara signing was insane lmao
I get what you’re saying , but every isles writer has a similar opinion to this. It’s insane.
A_Habs_fan, zk97 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
The amount of people that supported that Chara signing was insane lmao

I’m not gonna lie, I didn’t hate it at first because I thought he was going to be in a sheltered 3rd pair role and his underlying numbers were ok last season. But he’s clearly fallen off a cliff lol. The crazy thing is the isles writers that supported it now go out of their way to justify having in the lineup.

Chara will have a 35% xGF% , isles outshot 20-5 with him on the ice and he’ll clear the puck on the Pk and you’ll see like 5 isles bloggers tweet “good play by Chara” lmao f*ck off
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Quoting: Zuki9797
they got ritchie in the end which is a W in my books lul

Nick Kypreous will never be a GM now! I’ll admit to being wrong on Ritchie. I liked the move to bring him in
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
I’m not gonna lie, I didn’t hate it at first because I thought he was going to be in a sheltered 3rd pair role and his underlying numbers were ok last season. But he’s clearly fallen off a cliff lol. The crazy thing is the isles writers that supported it now go out of their way to justify having in the lineup.

Chara will have a 35% xGF% , isles outshot 20-5 with him on the ice and he’ll clear the puck on the Pk and you’ll see like 5 isles bloggers tweet “good play by Chara” lmao f*ck off

Chara in a sheltered role is in theory fine, but you’re not doing that
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Evander Kane is on unconditional waivers for mutual termination, he’s most likely going to sign with a playoff team now
Devil, yikes, capsfan2121 and 5 others liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Chara in a sheltered role is in theory fine, but you’re not doing that

My favourite is the The Jeff Marek Show and segments with Elliotte. They very interesting or enjoyable but one thing that bothered me (unless they’ve changed their tune) - they were clearly hesitant on critiquing Trotz.

They were basically saying what things were going wrong in terms of things the isles have control of (like hindsight not trading Toews, the Komerov/ Barzal winger debacle) than they moved into the Chara issue with big Z getting like 18 min a night. They clearly knew it was:

Stupid
Poor utilization
And a Coaches decision

Yet they were openly trying to both criticize the Isles but not.. openly tear Trotz up. Now obviously they’re professionals and have relationships they need to maintain ETC ETC ETC, there’s a ton of reasons.

But I would’ve like to hear:

“Yeah Trotz is obviously a amazing coach and deserves all the respect, but he currently is a major reason why the Isles are struggling due to the current roster utilization in not giving guys like Wahlstrom, Barzal, Beaulliver (knowing that’s spelt incorrectly) the proper ice time or freedom and than over using Zdeno.”

Trotz isn’t the reason why the Isles have completely flopped but I do wish there was more criticism while being respectful.
Db1899 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

yikes, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Evander Kane is on unconditional waivers for mutual termination, he’s most likely going to sign with a playoff team now

WWWWWWWW
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
However Kane being a UFA should get teams worried.

Take this in…

Tampa Bay Lightning. (Sit down Kane obviously and have a talk):

Evander Kane signs.

750k - 1m

Three peat.

Im just saying👀👀👀👀
capsfan2121, zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll