Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS ELEVATE OWN ROCKET IN NICK ROBERTSON TO PLAY ON DOMINATING SECOND LINE

Created by: TML_Tika
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 27, 2022
Published: Jul. 27, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Toronto Maple Leafs elevate one of their brightest and top prospects in Nick Robertson, a goal scoring machine and Rocket on the ice to the team to play on the creation of a second dominating line with John Tavares and William Nylander. This gives the Leafs the best top two lines by one team in entire NHL and not seen for years.

Hockey fans have been waiting patiently for this development and remember that Nick Robertson was the young player who scored a mind boggling 55 goals and 33 assists for 86 points in only 46 games in the OHL for the Peterborough Petes during the 2019-2020 season.

He may have been one of the biggest steals of the 2019 NHL Draft when he was selected by Kyle Dubas for the Leafs with the 53rd overall pick and was one of the youngest players from his NHL draft class.

Nick Robertson is the younger brother to Jason Robertson of the Dallas Stars. He is a very stong skater, extremely creative with the puck with high-end vision and elite goal scoring and shooting skills and a star in the making.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (DAL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,161,450$212,500$0$338,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$834,167$834,167
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:09 p.m.
CHI isn't the team for Kerfoot. We are getting worse and rebuilding not buying to improve.
TML_Tika and ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Bottom two lines still suck.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
Quoting: Theozler
Bottom two lines still suck.

How can you say the 3rd line which is a total defensive shutdown line sucks?........Not sure if you understand the importance of a shutdown line to a team's success in the National Hockey League or if you spend all your time listening to the Toronto Media which is out to lunch most of the time.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TML_Tika
How can you say the 3rd line which is a total defensive shutdown line sucks?........Not sure if you understand the importance of a shutdown line to a team's success in the National Hockey League or if you spend all your time listening to the Toronto Media which is out to lunch most of the time.

1) that line is not a shutdown line, almost every single top line in the NHL torches that line.
2) why the actual **** would he be listening to the Toronto media. He isn’t a leaf’s fan so why would he be listening to the Toronto media. From what I recall most fans follow their teams media and not torontos.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:20 p.m.

Again for probably the millionth time how am I (or most people on here) listening to the Toronto media when we don’t live there???? Also, that third line would be a fantastic fourth line, but I would have zero confidence in a playoff series with that as my third line, fourth line not an contenders fourth line.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:27 p.m.
B
C
A
P
S

B
L
A
H

B
L
A
H

C
A
P
S
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.
Quoting: Fox_Czar_Cup
C
A
P
S

B
L
A
H

B
L
A
H

C
A
P
S

You spend too much time reading Toronto media that types in lowercase, read a real
Hockey expert who types in ALL CAPS
TML_Tika and mokumboi liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Cardiac
1) that line is not a shutdown line, almost every single top line in the NHL torches that line.
2) why the actual **** would he be listening to the Toronto media. He isn’t a leaf’s fan so why would he be listening to the Toronto media. From what I recall most fans follow their teams media and not torontos.

It's absolutely a shutdown line, I'm not even a leafs fan and I assure you that Engvall, Kampf, and Jarnkrok is a very VERY good checking line
GMBL, TML_Tika and Garak liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:33 p.m.
I suspect that Nick Robertson will get a chance to play 2LW but they probably won't just hand him the opportunity, and he won't be much effective in the lower lines. If that happens though, he will probably be trade bait soon enough. I hope, he capitalizes on the opportunity and becomes a mainstay on that line with Tavares and Nylander.

His brother is Jason Roberterson btw not Jordan.
TML_Tika liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:35 p.m.
Edited Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Again for probably the millionth time how am I (or most people on here) listening to the Toronto media when we don’t live there???? Also, that third line would be a fantastic fourth line, but I would have zero confidence in a playoff series with that as my third line, fourth line not an contenders fourth line.

You need to acknowledge that most teams in the National Hockey League deploy their actual 3rd line as their shutdown defencive line and their 4th line as strickly an high energy line with minimal icetime of 10 minutes or less per game.

Engvall, Kampf and Jarnkrok are all great defensive veteran players who can each also play centre ice........I find it disappointing as a hockey fan that you say that this is not an effective shutdown line in the National Hockey League when all true hockey fans know these 3 players are very effective defence first players used to matchup against top lines in the National Hockey League.

I am wondering if you actually follow the Leafs by watching their actual games on TV or if you just hear about them on CapFriendly?
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:41 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I hope that you're right and that Robertson has a breakout season the same way Trevor Moore and Troy Terry had breakout seasons this past year. Just try to take the Toronto media hype with a grain or two of salt -- the season after he was drafted, Sam Steel scored 131 points in 66 games, and we all know how THAT turned out.
TML_Tika and Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I hope that you're right and that Robertson has a breakout season the same way Trevor Moore and Troy Terry had breakout seasons this past year. Just try to take the Toronto media hype with a grain or two of salt -- the season after he was drafted, Sam Steel scored 131 points in 66 games, and we all know how THAT turned out.

Robertson is still very young and has had some bad luck with injuries and covid the last couple of years....... but I think the cream rises to the top and he is going to make it if the Leafs can get him playing in an offensive role with skilled linemates like Tavares and Nylander.

He also has tremendous drive and has been written off as too small through out his entire hockey career.

Sam Steel was a player I really liked and put up monster numbers with the Regina Pats playing on a line with Adam Brooks........Not sure what his issues have been but he definately has the talent.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:51 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
I suspect that Nick Robertson will get a chance to play 2LW but they probably won't just hand him the opportunity, and he won't be much effective in the lower lines. If that happens though, he will probably be trade bait soon enough. I hope, he capitalizes on the opportunity and becomes a mainstay on that line with Tavares and Nylander.

His brother is Jason Roberterson btw not Jordan.

Nick Robertson has a really interesting history and has been written off as too small his entire hockey career but keeps proving his critics are wrong........I agree with you that he needs to make it in an offensive role on the top two lines of an NHL team to be effective........He has an incredible release and shot like all the great goal scorers in the National Hockey League.

Hoping he adds strength and muscle this summer and maybe play a bit more of a controlled game and not running around too much which seems to get him into trouble at the pro level.
GMBL liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
CHI isn't the team for Kerfoot. We are getting worse and rebuilding not buying to improve.

I was wondering if some team picks him up as his actual salary is like $750,000 but has cap hit of $3,500,000 as he has been already been partially paid in bonuses and then flips him out at the trade deadline.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.
torontos finest
leafs play touted winger prospect in top 6 role

stop the presses
mokumboi liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:09 a.m.
I was wondering if some team picks him up as his actual salary is like $750,000 but has cap hit of $3,500,000 as he has been already been partially paid in bonuses and then flips him out at the trade deadline.

Tough part atm is that a lot of teams are getting close to hard up against the cap. I would suspect we can be a great foil to aid that but we shouldn't be doing that on the cheap.

Kerfoot is a good player and should get a run on that leafs lineup tbh though you would need to operate on the LTIR to make it work. Otherwise you may find that TML willl either have to give him away Ala Pacioretty/Bjorkstrand style or pay for a team like us to take him.
TML_Tika liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:16 a.m.
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
Tough part atm is that a lot of teams are getting close to hard up against the cap. I would suspect we can be a great foil to aid that but we shouldn't be doing that on the cheap.

Kerfoot is a good player and should get a run on that leafs lineup tbh though you would need to operate on the LTIR to make it work. Otherwise you may find that TML willl either have to give him away Ala Pacioretty/Bjorkstrand style or pay for a team like us to take him.

I have been wondering about what the Hawks are going to get back on a trade of Toews and Kane........I think the Hawks may just hold them until the trade deadline and then trade them both as rentals.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:26 a.m.
I have been wondering about what the Hawks are going to get back on a trade of Toews and Kane........I think the Hawks may just hold them until the trade deadline and then trade them both as rentals.

Yeah they are both staying to start the season from what they have said. TDL will be their most likely departure time if it is to be.
TML_Tika and ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:36 a.m.
mokumboi
Wow, what a flowery press packet. His agent should hire you, no joking around. But while he may be the Leafs' top prospect (if he even still is), he's also barely a top 50 prospect in the league, if that (I would say not, personally). And yes, him being microscopic is a major issue, and not just because he gets hurt when the wind blows. "Star in the making" seems supremely optimistic.
TML_Tika liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Wow, what a flowery press packet. His agent should hire you, no joking around. But while he may be the Leafs' top prospect (if he even still is), he's also barely a top 50 prospect in the league, if that (I would say not, personally). And yes, him being microscopic is a major issue, and not just because he gets hurt when the wind blows. "Star in the making" seems supremely optimistic.[/I

Good comments for one to consider.

I think the so called Hockey Experts probably also thought Bunting was not a top 50 prospect prior to the beginning of last year as well...........I often think it is the mental strength of a player or his actual timing of getting a good oportunity at the right time that allows a young player to make a team and develope in the NHL......Hopefully, Robertson is now in the right place at the right time to perform up to his abilitites.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 12:54 a.m.
You need to acknowledge that most teams in the National Hockey League deploy their actual 3rd line as their shutdown defencive line and their 4th line as strickly an high energy line with minimal icetime of 10 minutes or less per game.

Engvall, Kampf and Jarnkrok are all great defensive veteran players who can each also play centre ice........I find it disappointing as a hockey fan that you say that this is not an effective shutdown line in the National Hockey League when all true hockey fans know these 3 players are very effective defence first players used to matchup against top lines in the National Hockey League.

I am wondering if you actually follow the Leafs by watching their actual games on TV or if you just hear about them on CapFriendly?

I do catch some leafs games. So let me clarify my position on the bottom six. They can play d but I don’t see them having the offensive ability to score big goals in the playoffs that every cup winner needs.

In addition to this I look at the leafs as a team with good puzzle pieces in some places but they don’t fit together. I look at this roster and joking aside of losing first round again, I see zero chance they win a cup. When the going gets tough and their big guys don’t score for a game or two there is no one there to help pick up the slack
Jul. 28, 2022 at 2:32 a.m.
I do catch some leafs games. So let me clarify my position on the bottom six. They can play d but I don’t see them having the offensive ability to score big goals in the playoffs that every cup winner needs.

In addition to this I look at the leafs as a team with good puzzle pieces in some places but they don’t fit together. I look at this roster and joking aside of losing first round again, I see zero chance they win a cup. When the going gets tough and their big guys don’t score for a game or two there is no one there to help pick up the slack

Your comments about the Leafs being a team with good puzzle pieces but don't fit together could be made for almost every team in the NHL other than the Stanley Cup Winner.........I suspect you could have said the same thing a year ago about the Av's when they were upset in the playoffs.

No.......the truth is that to win a cup or go deep in the Stanley Cup Finals......a team needs some luck and for the stars to allign if you know what I mean.

The Leafs time is going to come and then you will be saying after they win the cup that all their pieces fit together.

The Leafs have more than enough fire power to score big goals in the playoffs.....so that is also not going to be an issue with the team......It is more important that the PP and PK is delivering and they get the goaltending they need to win that is the real issues.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 6:09 a.m.
Your comments about the Leafs being a team with good puzzle pieces but don't fit together could be made for almost every team in the NHL other than the Stanley Cup Winner.........I suspect you could have said the same thing a year ago about the Av's when they were upset in the playoffs.

No.......the truth is that to win a cup or go deep in the Stanley Cup Finals......a team needs some luck and for the stars to allign if you know what I mean.

The Leafs time is going to come and then you will be saying after they win the cup that all their pieces fit together.

The Leafs have more than enough fire power to score big goals in the playoffs.....so that is also not going to be an issue with the team......It is more important that the PP and PK is delivering and they get the goaltending they need to win that is the real issues.

Very true plus getting Holl and Giordano off the 2nd line. I'd also argue on a great team, Brodie is probably a 2nd liner, Giordano is a #6/#7
TML_Tika liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.

I picked rangers over avs to begin playoffs so yes I thought avs could do it. Leafs have 8 goals in the six games that eliminated them from the playoffs(4 of those in 1 game, so 1 or less in other 5). In tight checking high stakes games you cannot just rely on your superstars you need bottom six guys to come up big. Is your memory so short to forget who came up big for Tampa in game 7???
Jul. 28, 2022 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Very true plus getting Holl and Giordano off the 2nd line. I'd also argue on a great team, Brodie is probably a 2nd liner, Giordano is a #6/#7

Agree....both Holl and Giordano are now 6 and 7th defenceman......Leafs need to get Sandin and Liljegren together on 2nd pairing as important to use your younger players in a Cap league.

The team is going to need to move on from both Muzzen and Brodie in the near future as well......Hoping Topi Niemela develops and think Victor Mete may turn some heads if given the opportunity.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll