SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 5, 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: capsfan2121
how much will zacha sign for

Around 3M
zk97 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
why are there 2 doms
and then another dom whos dom himself
Saskleaf, BuFfaLOFaN and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
Farewell
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:05 a.m.
Farewell
Full list of remaining unsigned players currently scheduled for arbitration hearings:

Lawson Crouse, ARI (Starts Aug. 8)

Pavel Zacha, BOS (Aug. 11)

Maxime Lajoie, CAR (Aug. 9)

Jake Walman, DET (Aug. 11)

Yakov Trenin, NSH (Aug. 2; arbitration in progress)

Keegan Kolesar, VGK (Aug. 10)

Mason Appleton, WPG (Aug. 11)
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
I love people going - “wow terrible contract” - yet not realizing those same folks themselves probably woulda said “wow didn’t resign him, trade lost”

Treliving has put together a great fixer for losing two drafted stars - and I believe Mangi could step up and take on a nice role for the team and fill in some goals lost.

It’s not terrible, but we all know how 7-8 year contracts for 30 YO usually go. Huberdeau will likely still be elite for the next 3 seasons , but I don’t think he’ll be elite for his 32-37 seasons. I get why CGY did it, but 10.5 per + buyout proof contract is extremely risky
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: Db1899
It’s not terrible, but we all know how 7-8 year contracts for 30 YO usually go. Huberdeau will likely still be elite for the next 3 seasons , but I don’t think he’ll be elite for his 32-37 seasons. I get why CGY did it, but 10.5 per + buyout proof contract is extremely risky

I mean they replaced a 29yo with a 29yo, 100 point replacement with a 100 point replacement, and a 10+ mil offer for a 10mil offer?
Treliving cant win in the eyes of fans who woulda criticized Gaudreau at 10mil, Huberdeau walking, Johnny walking, Johnny staying, Huberdeau signing.

Quite literally he wont win in the eyes of couch viewers for some reason. Why is Huberdeau at 10 any worse than the monster offers for Gaudreau? He got a first and a top 4 d and a 100point/ 8 year contract for a guy who wanted to leave the team and provided similar statistics. Both teams won but I don't see how Treliving can't get praise.
SevenLeg, PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, HockeyScotty and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
torontos finest
I love people going - “wow terrible contract” - yet not realizing those same folks themselves probably woulda said “wow didn’t resign him, trade lost”

Treliving has put together a great fixer for losing two drafted stars - and I believe Mangi could step up and take on a nice role for the team and fill in some goals lost.

A ton of 30+ players on long and high term deals so sour pretty quickly, but Huberdeau is a player I think could still be effective late in his 30s.

Also Calgary is trying to win now. Need to pay the better players better money to do that.
SevenLeg, Saskleaf, AndrewLadd and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: mondo
A ton of 30+ players on long and high term deals so sour pretty quickly, but Huberdeau is a player I think could still be effective late in his 30s.

Also Calgary is trying to win now. Need to pay the better players better money to do that.

I think Mangiapane will comfortably replace the hole left by one of Gaudreau/ Tkachuk and Huberdeau easily gets Mangiapane 40 goals. Pairing that with a D upgrade (Weegar) and Calgary making a couple transactions (they got a quality prospect and a good pick; easily allowing some extra trade flexibility come TDL) and Calgary not only kept their win now window open, but arguably could improve.

Plus @hockeyscotty mentioned earlier the prospect pipeline in Calgary is thriving, that will only help them with some dynamic ELC's to aid the financials until the cap goes up.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
I mean they replaced a 29yo with a 29yo, 100 point replacement with a 100 point replacement, and a 10+ mil offer for a 10mil offer?
Treliving cant win in the eyes of fans who woulda criticized Gaudreau at 10mil, Huberdeau walking, Johnny walking, Johnny staying, Huberdeau signing.

Quite literally he wont win in the eyes of couch viewers for some reason. Why is Huberdeau at 10 any worse than the monster offers for Gaudreau?

Gaudreau is better than Huberdeau and his contract starts in his age 29 season, Huberdeau in his age 30 season. I’m sure Gaudreau’s contract will age poorly as well.

This isn’t much different than the Erik Karlsson contract. Overpaid to “win-now” . CGY wanted to show they can sign star players, so from that standpoint i understand why they did it. I think it would have been better to trade Huberdeau for a ton of assets before the deadline
BuFfaLOFaN and Tintin liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Calgary also has a group of high end prospects that will be pushing onto the NHL roster over the next few years that will help their cap and contention window.

F - Zary, Coronado, Pelletier
D - Mackey, Poirier
G - Wolf

By the time they are hitting expensive RFA years the cap should be jumping up a lot. As long as they don't break the bank to get Lindholm and Hanifin on extensions they should be ok.

Which team has the best full squad of prospects?

Prospects have to have played less than 25 NHL games.

Buffalo is pretty good,

Quinn - Savoie - Peterka
Power - Laaksonen/Nuechev
Levi/Portillo/UPL whichever you prefer. I like Levi.

MTL isn't bad!
Slafkovsky - Mysak - Mesar/Beck/Roy?
Guhle - Barron
Primeau

NJ is decent
Foote - Salminen - Holtz
Hughes - Nemec
Brennan (Didn't count Daws since he has exactly 25 games.)

Arizona is Fun
Geekie - Cooley - Guenther
Duda - Soderstrom
Prosvetov

Colombus is decent actually.
Johnson - Del Bel Belluz - Marchenko
Mataychuk - Jiricek
Tarasov

Minnesota
Ohgren - Rossi - Yurov
Lambos - Addison/Faber
Wallstedt

Ottawa
Greig - Pinto - Boucher
Sanderson - Thomson
Sogaard
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Gaudreau is better than Huberdeau and his contract starts in his age 29 season, Huberdeau in his age 30 season. I’m sure Gaudreau’s contract will age poorly as well.

This isn’t much different than the Erik Karlsson contract. Overpaid to “win-now” . CGY wanted to show they can sign star players, so from that standpoint i understand why they did it. I think it would have been better to trade Huberdeau for a ton of assets before the deadline

Gaudreau - Huberdeau is a neck and neck race; I agree Gaudreau is better but they're quite close.
Karlsson is not a suitable example. Firstly it was a far reach to say anyone expected Karlsson to fall off that hard (which he has rebounded) - additionally Karlsson came with injury baggage. Huberdeau doesn't have that same baggage and Huberdeau could follow in the steps of;
Giroux
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Thornton
etc

Just as easily as he could be EK65. Additionally; no one wants the BoA to end. I mean my god Calgary had arguably the two best series in Dallas and EDM. The NHL is better with EDM/CGY being good. And they arent just good, theyre cup contenders. And their rivarly is going to die. No fan wants to rebuild and Calgary does not need to rebuild which is likely the real scenario of a Huberdeau trade. Calgary was bad for long enough - their fans and their actual NHL roster deserve to keep contending as theres no reason to stop. They got prospects, stars, and a goalie.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN

Buffalo is pretty good,

Quinn - Savoie - Peterka

MTL isn't bad!
Guhle - Barron
Primeau

NJ is decent
Foote - Salminen - Holtz
Hughes - Nemec

Arizona is Fun
Duda - Soderstrom
Prosvetov

Mataychuk - Jiricek
Tarasov

Minnesota
Ohgren - Rossi - Yurov
Lambos - Addison/Faber
Wallstedt

Ottawa
Greig - Pinto - Boucher
Sanderson - Thomson
Sogaard

SJS is decent
Eklund - Bordeleau - Gushchin (or Coe/Ozzy if you want correct RW)
Kniazev - Laroque
Gaudreau/ Mann
BuFfaLOFaN and HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Gaudreau - Huberdeau is a neck and neck race; I agree Gaudreau is better but they're quite close.
Karlsson is not a suitable example. Firstly it was a far reach to say anyone expected Karlsson to fall off that hard (which he has rebounded) - additionally Karlsson came with injury baggage. Huberdeau doesn't have that same baggage and Huberdeau could follow in the steps of;
Giroux
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Thornton
etc

Just as easily as he could be EK65. Additionally; no one wants the BoA to end. I mean my god Calgary had arguably the two best series in Dallas and EDM. The NHL is better with EDM/CGY being good. And they arent just good, theyre cup contenders. And their rivarly is going to die. No fan wants to rebuild and Calgary does not need to rebuild which is likely the real scenario of a Huberdeau trade. Calgary was bad for long enough - their fans and their actual NHL roster deserve to keep contending as theres no reason to stop. They got prospects, stars, and a goalie.

I think there’s a pretty significant difference between Gaudreau and Huberdeau, speaks more to how good Gaudreau is.

Karlsson does have injury baggage but he was incredible the year before he signed his 8 year deal. Sure he bounced back a bit but he’s worth more in the range of 6-6.5 mill , not 11.5 mill.

Huberdeau isn’t comparable to Thornton/Crosby/Makin/Stamkos. They are on a different level. Like I said , Huberdeau will probably be elite for the next 3 seasons, but he won’t be worth his contract after that. If CGY thinks they can win a cup in the next couple of years, then I get it. I don’t think they will , but time will tell.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I think Mangiapane will comfortably replace the hole left by one of Gaudreau/ Tkachuk and Huberdeau easily gets Mangiapane 40 goals. Pairing that with a D upgrade (Weegar) and Calgary making a couple transactions (they got a quality prospect and a good pick; easily allowing some extra trade flexibility come TDL) and Calgary not only kept their win now window open, but arguably could improve.

Plus hockeyscotty mentioned earlier the prospect pipeline in Calgary is thriving, that will only help them with some dynamic ELC's to aid the financials until the cap goes up.

I love CGY Dcore but if there is one team I could very well see this team regress next season. CGY was the healthiest team last season in regards to man games lost:

FZVE1NPWYAAY1_i?format=jpg&name=large

Like, it’s crazy how little any of their big guys missed any time last season:

FZVGTdWXoAATo6K.jpg
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
I think there’s a pretty significant difference between Gaudreau and Huberdeau, speaks more to how good Gaudreau is.

Karlsson does have injury baggage but he was incredible the year before he signed his 8 year deal. Sure he bounced back a bit but he’s worth more in the range of 6-6.5 mill , not 11.5 mill.

Huberdeau isn’t comparable to Thornton/Crosby/Makin/Stamkos. They are on a different level. Like I said , Huberdeau will probably be elite for the next 3 seasons, but he won’t be worth his contract after that. If CGY thinks they can win a cup in the next couple of years, then I get it. I don’t think they will , but time will tell.

I’m not saying Huberdeau is as talented as those players but many players can play late in their 30’s and provide reasonable value.

If Huberdeau is at 90-100pts in years 1-3, 4-5 around 70-90, and 5-7 (year 8 maybe let’s assume he retires) around 50-70 I would say that’s well worth it for Calgary as they clearly plan to be in cup contention for the next 3 years at least. The west is full of wannabes in SJS, ANA, NSH, SEA, WPG, DAL, VAN - I agree with @matthewsfan that it’s crazy how the Flames health faired last year but it would be far crazier to see one of those 7 teams out perform Calgary (reg+playoffs) this year or next year. Dallas is probably the closest just because they have a potential franchise goalie in net which none of the other teams can boast about.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I’m not saying Huberdeau is as talented as those players but many players can play late in their 30’s and provide reasonable value.

If Huberdeau is at 90-100pts in years 1-3, 4-5 around 70-90, and 5-7 (year 8 maybe let’s assume he retires) around 50-70 I would say that’s well worth it for Calgary as they clearly plan to be in cup contention for the next 3 years at least. The west is full of wannabes in SJS, ANA, NSH, SEA, WPG, DAL, VAN - I agree with matthewsfan that it’s crazy how the Flames health faired last year but it would be far crazier to see one of those 7 teams out perform Calgary (reg+playoffs) this year or next year. Dallas is probably the closest just because they have a potential franchise goalie in net which none of the other teams can boast about.

CGY is just a tough team to figure out. They are going to be a complety different team IMO without Tkachuk or Gaudreau (who accounted for a ton of their offence). IMO they will be more a grind in out then being able to outscore teams next year.
This was a team that was 6th in GF in the entire NHL last year.
2021 50-21 6th GF
2020 26-27 22nd GF
2019 36-37 20th GF
2018 50-25 2nd GF
2017 37-35 26th GF

I will be curious to see what this team does in the reg season next year and if mid way through the season will they be regretting that contract.
HockeyScotty and yikes liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
CGY is just a tough team to figure out. They are going to be a complety different team IMO without Tkachuk or Gaudreau (who accounted for a ton of their offence). IMO they will be more a grind in out then being able to outscore teams next year.
This was a team that was 6th in GF in the entire NHL last year.
2021 50-21 6th GF
2020 26-27 22nd GF
2019 36-37 20th GF
2018 50-25 2nd GF
2017 37-35 26th GF

I will be curious to see what this team does in the reg season next year and if mid way through the season will they be regretting that contract.

Monahan is a key factor for them this season. If he can be #2 center and find chemistry with Mangiapane-Coleman (Toffoli on top line) that would allow Backlund to be 3C with Dube and possibly Ruzicka or Pelletier and then you have a really deep and effective forward lineup to go with their blueline depth

If Monahan struggles and falls to 4C level and Backlund has to be 2C then it starts to look less matchup friendly come playoff time
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN

Buffalo is pretty good,

Quinn - Savoie - Peterka

MTL isn't bad!
Guhle - Barron
Primeau

NJ is decent
Foote - Salminen - Holtz
Hughes - Nemec

Arizona is Fun
Duda - Soderstrom
Prosvetov

Mataychuk - Jiricek
Tarasov

Minnesota
Ohgren - Rossi - Yurov
Lambos - Addison/Faber
Wallstedt

Ottawa
Greig - Pinto - Boucher
Sanderson - Thomson
Sogaard

Buffalo, Arizona, and Ottawa are up there for sure. Calgary stacks up well and probably LAK also in the top 5.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Monahan is a key factor for them this season. If he can be #2 center and find chemistry with Mangiapane-Coleman (Toffoli on top line) that would allow Backlund to be 3C with Dube and possibly Ruzicka or Pelletier and then you have a really deep and effective forward lineup to go with their blueline depth

If Monahan struggles and falls to 4C level and Backlund has to be 2C then it starts to look less matchup friendly come playoff time

I would be surprised if Suter breaks up Mangiapane Backlund Coleman, that line was great together. I will be pleasantly surprised if Monahan can give you 40 points next year. He had 23 last year and 28 the year before in two injury plagued seasons. He could be cooked
yikes liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK

Backlund was an amazing 2C tho; the Monahan problem comes down to he is basically a 6m 3C who is better suited for 2C and that would be a better role for him if he can bounce back but he’s struggled for a while now. Backlund actually was stellar last year and not carried - if Sean Monahan can’t be a good 2C he’s replaceable and if he can’t be a good 3C he’s dead cap. They should try and flip him imo and sign Rodrigues or one of the bigger ticket UFA left.
MatthewsFan and HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:15 p.m.
Backlund was an amazing 2C tho; the Monahan problem comes down to he is basically a 6m 3C who is better suited for 2C and that would be a better role for him if he can bounce back but he’s struggled for a while now. Backlund actually was stellar last year and not carried - if Sean Monahan can’t be a good 2C he’s replaceable and if he can’t be a good 3C he’s dead cap. They should try and flip him imo and sign Rodrigues or one of the bigger ticket UFA left.

I like Backlund a lot and he stepped up in playoffs for sure. He is a great 3C and matchup line guy. Not sure he is a 60 point guy like a 2C needs to be however. Especially now that the Flames need depth scoring to offset loss of Tkachuk (Gaudreau-Huberdeau being a wash).
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I would be surprised if Suter breaks up Mangiapane Backlund Coleman, that line was great together. I will be pleasantly surprised if Monahan can give you 40 points next year. He had 23 last year and 28 the year before in two injury plagued seasons. He could be cooked

Yeah maybe Monahan-Pelletier-Ruzicka can find chemistry and some scoring punch
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
TIL Cutter Gauthier was born in Sweden
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, zk97, AndrewLadd and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:49 p.m.

Quite literally he wont win in the eyes of couch viewers for some reason. Why is Huberdeau at 10 any worse than the monster offers for Gaudreau? He got a first and a top 4 d and a 100point/ 8 year contract for a guy who wanted to leave the team and provided similar statistics. Both teams won but I don't see how Treliving can't get praise.

The biggest point not being discussed in Treliving's favor is that a $10m offer to Gaudreau and $9 million to Tkachuk would have been THIS year and had huge impacts on the current roster requiring lots of cap casualties and assets leaving Calgary as sweeteners to unload.
The fact that he bought a year when he has lots of cap space is HUGE for the Flames 2-4 year window of contention.
yikes liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: SevenLeg
TIL Cutter Gauthier was born in Sweden

TIL that Ilya Sorokin and Maurice Richard were both born on August 4 (74 years apart)
zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll