Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$65,576,666$1,132,500$5,070,000$16,923,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 24, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
It cost a first round pick to dump Monahan. Now you want a second for someone to take half his salary. Interesting take. Hard no from the Jackets tho.
Friendly_Cannon, mokumboi, majormoose007 and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
SLAFKOVKSY
Quoting: Isles5513
It cost a first round pick to dump Monahan. Now you want a second for someone to take half his salary. Interesting take. Hard no from the Jackets tho.

3.2 M is a huggggge difference from 6.3 M in modern day cap. Columbus would get a top 6 C for relatively cheap, who they can keep on longer term, or 50% flip him at TDL for a profit.
habs_need_Scoring liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: raph222b
3.2 M is a huggggge difference from 6.3 M in modern day cap. Columbus would get a top 6 C for relatively cheap, who they can keep on longer term, or 50% flip him at TDL for a profit.

He has not been a top six center for years. Get real.
majormoose007, Taz, squashmaple and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 3:42 p.m.
mokumboi

It ain't that huge.
majormoose007, Not_Isles5513, gary_ and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
MajorMoose
You just got paid a first to take Monahan nobody is paying a 2nd for him at half salary. You get future considerations at best in return
Not_Isles5513, Viqsi and Billy316 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.
Nah.

This would also put them over the cap; or, at a minimum, uncomfortably close to it. Considering what we've had to give up to get compliant, I absolutely do not want to enter that conversation again over the ghost of of Sean Monahan.

I also am not a fan of the "well, flip him at the TDL" presumption. Unless you are working with a top-tier player, there are no guarantees that happens, or you you just end up "flipping" him for pennies.
Billy316, Viqsi and Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:38 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King

Cap Dump is a Cap Dump i gotta agree with him.
Change the timeline to Monahan at the TDL on the other hand the Context shifts in your favor.
Monahan's value rely's almost entirely one other teams Centers getting injured.

Evans at this point if anyone makes more sense to move in the off season
He's the only Center not named Suzuki with any trade value close to what you're asking.

"The Market" is more then just a place you buy your groceries.
In a Capitalist Market especially in Sports and Realestate the Market dictate's Value based on Supply vs Demand.
This doesnt change cause a week after getting paid a 1st round pick to take Monahan we want to sell him
reality is his 10 team No Trade List blocks most of the off season trades that would make sense anyways making all this a moot point.(its why MTL got so much we held the leverage thanks to it)
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
mostly harmless
Don't be absurd.
Billy316 and dopplsan liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
cbjthrowaway

The cost to move – not acquire – Sean Monahan at $6.3m is a future first round pick. Sean Monahan at $3.1m is still a toxic asset in a flat cap world.

If the Jackets are going to be getting Monahan at 50%, Montreal would be sending them a second rounder to make it happen, not getting one from them.

…by the way, that would still be a net positive for Montreal, who would functionally be trading $3m of cap space to upgrade a second rounder into a first. But it would make more sense for Montreal to just hold their nose and swallow that contract for one year.

(also, uhhhhhh Sean Monahan is not a top six center)
Viqsi, dopplsan and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: dopplsan
This would also put them over the cap; or, at a minimum, uncomfortably close to it. Considering what we've had to give up to get compliant, I absolutely do not want to enter that conversation again over the ghost of of Sean Monahan.

I also am not a fan of the "well, flip him at the TDL" presumption. Unless you are working with a top-tier player, there are no guarantees that happens, or you you just end up "flipping" him for pennies.

Agreed up until you went "i dont understand Supply vs Demand or how the Market works , im going to declare it Magic " lol
Its pretty Simply come Playoffs push time around the TDL there are 16 teams in and another 4-6 who think they are typically but not always.
That's half to 60% of the league looking for Centers creating what people in Capitalist Nations call a "supply vs demand " situation

60% of the league that is bidding are doing so on maybe 5 Centers Tops who can draw at 55% plus.
Its why Hanzal and Plekanec got Way overpaid that one year because they were 2/3 Centers total available that won at that rate.
Hanzal came of IR to get ARZ paid then went back on it , Plekanec came off his career worst year before re-signing with MTL only to be released
Hanzal got a 1st , 2nd and 3rd round pick if i remember right and Plekanec got a 2nd and 2 AHL players we flipped for Kulak.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
He has not been a top six center for years. Get real.

Agreed and thank god as CGY moved Lindholm to Center
Its like when DD crapped out here only for Danault to take his spot beside Pacioretty
Went from having a Center who's questionable in the top 6 but good chemistry with the top scorer to
Having a younger much more improved middle 6 Center who can play at a higher level based on making all those he plays with better.(those around them both do thrive)

I mean CGY>MTL as far as the examples i used but the context is kinda similar
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: Billy316
Agreed and thank god as CGY moved Lindholm to Center
Its like when DD crapped out here only for Danault to take his spot beside Pacioretty
Went from having a Center who's questionable in the top 6 but good chemistry with the top scorer to
Having a younger much more improved middle 6 Center who can play at a higher level based on making all those he plays with better.(those around them both do thrive)

I mean CGY>MTL as far as the examples i used but the context is kinda similar

Your comparison isn’t bad at all. That being said I think when Carolina signed Kotkaniemi they were hoping he would be their chance at redemption for Lindholm lol.
Billy316 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Your comparison isn’t bad at all. That being said I think when Carolina signed Kotkaniemi they were hoping he would be their chance at redemption for Lindholm lol.

I was so confused when that deal happened
My first thought was, "Well wt* would Aho cost if that's all "
I mean they had Fox so i was wrong to a degree about it being lopsided
Then they gave away Fox for nothing basically and he won a Norris lol

I dont know why they thought "lets pay the kid a Finals team benched double his Qualifying Offer "
Kotkanemi played 9 minutes or less in 4 games of which CAR won 3/4 (almost 4/4) just by removing him
He's a winger playing Center, the day they move him to Wing though i think he'll become a threat
They might have to trade him to CGY for Hanafin first in order for that to happen lol
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
Nah.
Edited Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
Agreed up until you went "i dont understand Supply vs Demand or how the Market works , im going to declare it Magic " lol
Its pretty Simply come Playoffs push time around the TDL there are 16 teams in and another 4-6 who think they are typically but not always.
That's half to 60% of the league looking for Centers creating what people in Capitalist Nations call a "supply vs demand " situation

60% of the league that is bidding are doing so on maybe 5 Centers Tops who can draw at 55% plus.
Its why Hanzal and Plekanec got Way overpaid that one year because they were 2/3 Centers total available that won at that rate.
Hanzal came of IR to get ARZ paid then went back on it , Plekanec came off his career worst year before re-signing with MTL only to be released
Hanzal got a 1st , 2nd and 3rd round pick if i remember right and Plekanec got a 2nd and 2 AHL players we flipped for Kulak.

Supply vs. Demand is also founded on both actual and relative value during the available market - actual being true cost, and relative being cost relative to other options. And there actually aren't 16 teams during the TDL that would be looking at Monahan - not every single team is going to be thin at C such that they would give up appreciable assets for Monahan. Assets available at the TDL are limited - do you trade for F depth, or D depth? Do you trade for an upgrade in net? What about swinging big for the big-name guy who is on the market and could be a game changer? These are all considerations that variate a player's value at the TDL. My point was, unless you have a player in that third category (think Giroux or Stone), you are taking a risk, and that risk is in the calculation to acquire him. Why the hell would you give up a 2nd for Monahan, only to "flip" him at the deadline for a 5th or a B-tier prospect?

Additionally, your Hanzal and Plekanac examples, for instance, are from *five* and *four* years ago (which will be six and five at this year's TDL). Markets change over time, and in a flat cap environment, that market shrinks. How many of your 16 teams at the TDL are going to have enough space to take on Monahan? Even with using a broker to absorb cost, that is just cutting into the return that CBJ get, and diminishes their incentive to take on the hit.

I didn't s say flipping him is impossible, just that it is a presumption. It presumes (1) there is a market for Monahan; (2) there won't be other, better/cheaper/similar players who will be part of a short-term drive-market pushing his cost down; (3) that there is cap-space available for those competing teams to take on his hit (and 3a - that CBJ or the absorbing team are willing to take on the additional cost to broker the transaction); (4) that Monahan himself plays to a level warranting any of these considerations: and, (5) CBJ are willing to take on all of the risks for the hope that Monahan's performance warrants a TDL flip or a long-term extension. If anything, just saying "they can keep [Monahan] on longer term, or 50% flip him at TDL for a profit" is a greater leap into magic than actually looking into the incentives that CBJ have (or don't have) for making this trade.

That, my Canadiens fan, is how you look at these transactions from outside the window of your own team's gain.

P.S. Trade negging isn't a good look. When the other team is telling you "no, we don't want this trade," you're better off listening to the people who watch and follow these teams day-in and day-out, instead of presuming they are all wrong.
Viqsi liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
I was so confused when that deal happened
My first thought was, "Well wt* would Aho cost if that's all "
I mean they had Fox so i was wrong to a degree about it being lopsided
Then they gave away Fox for nothing basically and he won a Norris lol

I dont know why they thought "lets pay the kid a Finals team benched double his Qualifying Offer "
Kotkanemi played 9 minutes or less in 4 games of which CAR won 3/4 (almost 4/4) just by removing him
He's a winger playing Center, the day they move him to Wing though i think he'll become a threat
They might have to trade him to CGY for Hanafin first in order for that to happen lol

I liked KK during the playoffs. I also like him way more when he plays center tbh. I don’t think he’s got that quick twitch speed that most elite wingers have/need.
Billy316 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Supply vs. Demand is also founded on both actual and relative value during the available market - actual being true cost, and relative being cost relative to other options. And there actually aren't 16 teams during the TDL that would be looking at Monahan - not every single team is going to be thin at C such that they would give up appreciable assets for Monahan. Assets available at the TDL are limited - do you trade for F depth, or D depth? Do you trade for an upgrade in net? What about swinging big for the big-name guy who is on the market and could be a game changer? These are all considerations that variate a player's value at the TDL. My point was, unless you have a player in that third category (think Giroux or Stone), you are taking a risk, and that risk is in the calculation to acquire him. Why the hell would you give up a 2nd for Monahan, only to "flip" him at the deadline for a 5th or a B-tier prospect?

Additionally, your Hanzal and Plekanac examples, for instance, are from *five* and *four* years ago (which will be six and five at this year's TDL). Markets change over time, and in a flat cap environment, that market shrinks. How many of your 16 teams at the TDL are going to have enough space to take on Monahan? Even with using a broker to absorb cost, that is just cutting into the return that CBJ get, and diminishes their incentive to take on the hit.

I didn't s say flipping him is impossible, just that it is a presumption. It presumes (1) there is a market for Monahan; (2) there won't be other, better/cheaper/similar players who will be part of a short-term drive-market pushing his cost down; (3) that there is cap-space available for those competing teams to take on his hit (and 3a - that CBJ or the absorbing team are willing to take on the additional cost to broker the transaction); (4) that Monahan himself plays to a level warranting any of these considerations: and, (5) CBJ are willing to take on all of the risks for the hope that Monahan's performance warrants a TDL flip or a long-term extension. If anything, just saying "they can keep [Monahan] on longer term, or 50% flip him at TDL for a profit" is a greater leap into magic than actually looking into the incentives that CBJ have (or don't have) for making this trade.

That, my Canadiens fan, is how you look at these transactions from outside the window of your own team's gain.

P.S. Trade negging isn't a good look. When the other team is telling you "no, we don't want this trade," you're better off listening to the people who watch and follow these teams day-in and day-out, instead of presuming they are all wrong.

Agreed to an extent but you assume too much based on Prejudice
Becuase of who my team is you've began to sterotype me rather then just look at my profile and form an intelligent opinion.
You chose to assume when you coulda have simply known in just a few clicks. . .

Reality is you're arguing that i'm saying this trade is good , its not and i didnt say that.
Based on this assumption you formed a whole plethera of assumptions that kinda showed your character as a bit Jaded TBH.
I said Monahan Statistically speaking will find value as i can point out more Overpaid Centers at the TDL then you can Centers available who had no one interested.
I mean you hear it every TDL when Duthie and Dregr go on and on about Center's and their importance

P.s Democratic Debate isnt Negging , i dont care about you enough to Neg by definition which requires me to care what you think or what you do. You voice an opinion in an public forum its open to debate , thats how they work and its kinda sad i have to explain this .
Aug. 24, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Nah.
Agreed to an extent but you assume too much based on Prejudice
Becuase of who my team is you've began to sterotype me rather then just look at my profile and form an intelligent opinion.
You chose to assume when you coulda have simply known in just a few clicks. . .

Reality is you're arguing that i'm saying this trade is good , its not and i didnt say that.
Based on this assumption you formed a whole plethera of assumptions that kinda showed your character as a bit Jaded TBH.
I said Monahan Statistically speaking will find value as i can point out more Overpaid Centers at the TDL then you can Centers available who had no one interested.
I mean you hear it every TDL when Duthie and Dregr go on and on about Center's and their importance

P.s Democratic Debate isnt Negging , i dont care about you enough to Neg by definition which requires me to care what you think or what you do. You voice an opinion in an public forum its open to debate , thats how they work and its kinda sad i have to explain this .

Wait wait wait…your rebuttal is “you assume this is a good trade, but it’s not and I know it?”
Aug. 24, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
we miss leo k

-Monahan is no longer a top 6 C on any contending team

-You're ignoring CBJ fans telling you that there's literally no cap room to take Monahan on, even with Montreal retaining 50%

-Lastly, the idea that "they can just flip him out for a profit at the TDL" is an absolute bonkers risk for any NHL GM to make when he's acquiring a guy for a 2nd rounder. By definition, the only way to improve that would be to flip him out for a 1st. I don't have the full trade history in front of me, but I'm pretty sure he would be the first guy to be dumped with a 1st round pick and then traded for a 1st round pick wihin a calendar year since buyouts and cap dumps became prevalent.
Billy316, Viqsi and dopplsan liked this.
Aug. 24, 2022 at 8:34 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Wait wait wait…your rebuttal is “you assume this is a good trade, but it’s not and I know it?”

Wow you cant read if you think thats what i said
Re-read it real slow and you'll see where you failed.

Being Misquoted in my statement about how i was annoyed someone put words in my mouth
First thing that came to mind was Bill Engvall's here's your sign bit lol
Aug. 24, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: dannibalcorpse

-You're ignoring CBJ fans telling you that there's literally no cap room to take Monahan on, even with Montreal retaining 50%

-Lastly, the idea that "they can just flip him out for a profit at the TDL" is an absolute bonkers risk for any NHL GM to make when he's acquiring a guy for a 2nd rounder. By definition, the only way to improve that would be to flip him out for a 1st. I don't have the full trade history in front of me, but I'm pretty sure he would be the first guy to be dumped with a 1st round pick and then traded for a 1st round pick wihin a calendar year since buyouts and cap dumps became prevalent.

Yes Monahan will be for sure.
I just dont think its how any of you guys think it will go down.

I think Monahan will get a 1st + if he even plays 10% better then last year offensively and the same in the Faceoff Circle.
That said i think it will be to a team like DAL for Faksa or a deal for Zucker or something like that.

It wont be 1 for 1 by any means
Aug. 25, 2022 at 10:01 a.m.
Nah.
Edited Aug. 25, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
Yes Monahan will be for sure.
I just dont think its how any of you guys think it will go down.

I think Monahan will get a 1st + if he even plays 10% better then last year offensively and the same in the Faceoff Circle.
That said i think it will be to a team like DAL for Faksa or a deal for Zucker or something like that.

It wont be 1 for 1 by any means

This is the most deluded **** I have read in a long time. Explains most everything about this post.

Quoting: dannibalcorpse

My man, these are the exact points I (and most everyone here) have been trying to make to him, and all he does is reply using weird formatting and going on about us just not getting it, apparently.

Better to cut bait and move on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll