Forums/Armchair-GM

GM Hughes draft day deal

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 18, 2022
Published: Dec. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Both Deals done at the Draft before the Seasons started.
While pending UFA's will be moved later this post focuses on getting the roster ready for opening day.

My Target is Quinton Byfield former 2nd OA pick.
My logic is Berniers , Mctavish and Slafkovsky has been taken in the next 2 drafts top 3 overall.
2/3 long out produced and paced Byfield while Slafkovsky is on pace to by 2nd week Janrurary.
Byfields in his 3rd year pro and sent down but unlike Dach is set backs arent injury related.

Byfields good , really good in my opinion he could become one of the league best 2nd line Centers.
That said its going to take 2-3 years of struggling with consistency or a team going all in on him like MTL did Dach.

MTL as it stands has the 9th and 15th overall fluxuating back and forth around 11th-13th overall.
With MTL already losing without Monahan now will likely drop further with 5th-9th OA pick.
FLA has won half the last 10 games its been like that all season fluxuating between 12th-15th OA.

I see MTL Trading their pick from FLA likely 13th OA to LAK for Byfield.
Similar to Dach for 13th overall pick for CHI to get Nazar.
Unlike Dach i think Byfield not only gets 13th OA pick but also Farrel.
Farrel lead team USA in the Olympics with just 1 point off Slafkovsky's tournament lead in 3 less games.
Farrell has the NCAA's 2nd highst PPG total virtually tied for 1st in the NCAA.
Ahead of former top 3 picks and future top 3 picks like Fantilli who's just behind Farrell.

LAK get a NCAA Sophmore who overachieve's playing for his National Team at the top levels.
LAK get MTL's first prospect since Caufield to lead his country in scoring while being favorite to win the Hobey Baker Award.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,650,000
2$885,000
2$1,850,000
2$850,000
1$3,450,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Byfield, Quinton
Additional Details:
This bundle gives LAK a top Playmaking Prospect whom Currently sits on one of the NCAA's best line's with CGY Coronato and LAK Lafferriere .

Our Skills Coach and Head Coach spent camp comparing to St Louis. They point out his vision and his ability to execute it as his strength's.

At every level so far he's been top of the league surrounded by some of the biggest names in the past 2-3 drafts and the next couple. Regardless of size or skill level Farrell leads his team past them by elevating the play of all those around him especially Laferriere.

Both Farrell and Laferriere would likely be joining Kupari and Turcotte in the AHL soon. If they can click with even 1 of those center's i expect a similar level of success (while Farrell's good at Center it takes away his speed advantage one of his biggest strengths)

This is a big return giving LAK a top pick .
I think how deep this draft is gets LAK interested.
Dach stuggled alot but did more as a rookie drafted only a year early then Byfield has done to date in his 3 seasons he had the shot at starting in the NHL.

Not saying Byfields done , he's not.
Just pointing out similar value in a trade executed in percisely the same way for the same reasons with a prospect taken a year later.
LAK
  1. Farrell, Sean [Reserve List]
  2. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
-13th OA pick (same as Dach got 1 for 1)
-Farrell who is the first MTL Prospect since Caufield to lead his Nation in Scoring while being a favorite for the Hobey Baker Award.
MTL
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
EDM gets
-Edmundson
-Ylonen who is also a young RW roughly the same age.
-capdump Foegele
-with the money saved not signing JP that takes care of Eddy's cap hit the 2.75m from Foegele leaving is what EDM Cleared on top of.

EDM gives up
-RFA who's played 6/7 years required to be UFA who wont sign term. He's struggling in a system that doesnt fit him much like Bennet did for years in CGY only finding his true potential after leaving. He got 3m last time Arbitration will give him more next time.

-Late 1st rounder EDM makes sure of before trading it in the final day at the draft.
EDM
  1. Edmundson, Joel
  2. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Trade at the Draft to EDM for JP and their 1st round pick 27th OA in this scenario for Edmundson with MTL taking Warren Foegele as a capdump to offset the cap
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$72,240,833$1,170,000$6,570,000$10,259,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,650,000$7,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$885,000$885,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
If LAK ever move Byfield while on ELC, it would be for darn good established player. Farrell is great and pick is nice. But I think this falls short.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
I like the idea. And The value is great....but...if LA were to trade Byfield it would be for someone like chychrun or Meier etc
OldNYIfan and Billy739 liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
For the oilers deal, I like the idea, but at this point ylonen = puli. Foegle as a cap dump and a late 1st, won't be enough to get Kent Hughes to trade him. Maybe oilers add Broberg and Habs add Norlinder , and / or Bourgaault is swapped for the 1st
Billy739 liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Is Farrell actually a favorite for Hobey Baker??? Not sure….
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Here's the first reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: Byfield, 6'4", 215 pounds, big hitter, already playing in professional hockey despite the fact that he's younger than Farrell; Farrell, 5'8", 175 pounds, unsigned prospect playing in the NCAA.

Here's the second reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: Byfield -- automatically becomes your best center prospect, without much quality ahead of him; Farrell, far behind well-developed prospects like Grundstrom, Anderson-Dolan, Turcotte and Fa-gem-o if we're talking about LW, Madden, Helenius and Pinelli if we're talking about center (although I will admit that if Farrell makes it to the NHL, he has a higher ceiling than any of them and might turn out to be the next Clayton Keller).

Here's the third reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: we have sufficient depth at all of the forward positions that Farrell wouldn't interest us; our major weakness for which we would consider trading Byfield is at LhD. IF (and it's a big IF) we agreed with your analysis that Byfield will take much longer to develop, we'd only be interested in trading for Kaiden Guhle or Arber Xhekaj.

Finally, we tend to be patient with our prospects. (See Vilardi and Turcotte.) I highly doubt that we'd give up on Byfield this quickly.
PuckLuck_77, leafs101, QualityTrades1 and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: NHLfan10506
If LAK ever move Byfield while on ELC, it would be for darn good established player. Farrell is great and pick is nice. But I think this falls short.

Heard the same about Dach even after he was traded
Its how this site works they inflate value in the face of real life context and examples

Reality is with drafts as deep as they are these days 50 contracts is alot.
Devoting the time it will take for Byfield comes down to the same decision LAK made 15 years or so ago.
When faced between investing in Boyle(Byfield) the big lengthy player or the better all around Center in Kopitar(Turcotte or Kupari)
They chose the right path cutting Boyle loose when Lucky Luc Robatille took over as President of LAK leading them to their first stanley cup not long after.

Robatille doesnt make a habit of spending a long time to develop big guys he's more likely to ship them out for people who can help Kopitar today.
Its been his history for almost 15 years and why he wasnt first during LAK rebuild because he knows what it takes and just like 2012 with the cupboards fully stocked he'll go out trading former top picks to land his Carter's , Gaborik's and Richards who cost them Schenn, Simmons, Johnson ,1st round pick and 2nd round pick to do it. (2/3 players were former top 5 OA picks by LAK)

Just saying you want more because , you want more as all fans ignoring the business side do.
Based on the history of the business side in context i made a fair evaluation for a player way behind his peers.
If he was a late 1st round pick maybe it would be less concerning but he's the former 2nd OA pick who just regressed as he was sent down after his rookie season for failing to earn a NHL job fulltime.

IMO Dach >Byfield
Yet i still gave him more of a return then Byfield got.
Dach has a versitility and smoothness to him that Byfield doesnt.
By the time the big man learns enough to hit Dach's level there he'll be 23 or 24.

MTL has the time as Slafkovsky is having a lot of the same problems and whomever's on his line will be subject to these struggles regardless.
For MTL investing in those 2 even if it cost's us games would be worth it as we're not competing.
LAK on the other hand is as they try their hardest to get Kopitar one more cup before he leaves or retire's from the NHL.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:30 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506

Ugh oh, by telling Habs fans they might trade Byfield for an established player, you just opened the flood gates for Anderson for Byfield AGMs.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Lochness1202
Is Farrell actually a favorite for Hobey Baker??? Not sure….

He was last year as a rookie with no where near the start he has this year.
NCAA's official site ranks him 3rd actually according to the League's News section

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2022-12-15/2023-hobey-baker-award-watchlist-3-months-mens-college-hockey-season?amp
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:34 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Lancebmx
Ugh oh, by telling Habs fans they might trade Byfield for an established player, you just opened the flood gates for Anderson for Byfield AGMs.

How about offering something.
This qualifies as trolling for attention by making a statement based on a prejudice assumption.
How about we judge eachother based on statements and leave the comedy for those with a personality to pull it off
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Here's the first reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: Byfield, 6'4", 215 pounds, big hitter, already playing in professional hockey despite the fact that he's younger than Farrell; Farrell, 5'8", 175 pounds, unsigned prospect playing in the NCAA.

Here's the second reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: Byfield -- automatically becomes your best center prospect, without much quality ahead of him; Farrell, far behind well-developed prospects like Grundstrom, Anderson-Dolan, Turcotte and Fa-gem-o if we're talking about LW, Madden, Helenius and Pinelli if we're talking about center (although I will admit that if Farrell makes it to the NHL, he has a higher ceiling than any of them and might turn out to be the next Clayton Keller).

Here's the third reason why your statement that Byfield and Farrell have "similar value" is mistaken: we have sufficient depth at all of the forward positions that Farrell wouldn't interest us; our major weakness for which we would consider trading Byfield is at LhD. IF (and it's a big IF) we agreed with your analysis that Byfield will take much longer to develop, we'd only be interested in trading for Kaiden Guhle or Arber Xhekaj.

Finally, we tend to be patient with our prospects. (See Vilardi and Turcotte.) I highly doubt that we'd give up on Byfield this quickly.

Did not say that, i said "Similar to Dach" was the statement so you had to willfully ignore that and instert "Value"
You're above this type of non sense but every so often i see you attempt it for the purpose of manipulation.
More likely you lazily skimmed through fast and then put a ton of time into a comment built on Ignorance.

Shame on you.
I know you to be better then that
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:42 p.m.
Billy739

Again "Similar Vaule" was only mentioned in this statement comparing Dach in which Farrel wasnt even mentioned
"Not saying Byfields done , he's not.
Just pointing out similar value in a trade executed in percisely the same way for the same reasons with a prospect taken a year later."

The comment you skimmed through was "Similar to Dach" which you changed for your own purposes of manipulation.
It was the only time Farrel was mentioned in the same breath as Byfield.

Again i know you to be better then this
Shame on You
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:43 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Billy739
Did not say that, i said "Similar to Dach" was the statement so you had to willfully ignore that and instert "Value"
You're above this type of non sense but every so often i see you attempt it for the purpose of manipulation.
More likely you lazily skimmed through fast and then put a ton of time into a comment built on Ignorance.

Shame on you.
I know you to be better then that

Your own words: "Just pointing out similar value in a trade executed in percisely the same way for the same reasons with a prospect taken a year later."

Grow up.
leafs101 and MTLaveragefan liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:45 p.m.
Billy739
Your own words: "Just pointing out similar value in a trade executed in percisely the same way for the same reasons with a prospect taken a year later."

Grow up.

Dach was taken in the position i was referencing how is that Farrel taken in the fourth round?
Its basic english
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:45 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Again "Similar Vaule" was only mentioned in this statement comparing Dach in which Farrel wasnt even mentioned
"Not saying Byfields done , he's not.
Just pointing out similar value in a trade executed in percisely the same way for the same reasons with a prospect taken a year later."

The comment you skimmed through was "Similar to Dach" which you changed for your own purposes of manipulation.
It was the only time Farrel was mentioned in the same breath as Byfield.

Again i know you to be better then this
Shame on You

The comment you made about similar to Dach was in reference to trading the 13th overall draft pick, not Byfield.

Try to be intellectually honest; when you do, people will put more weight on your opinions.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:46 p.m.
Edited Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:57 p.m.
How about offering something.
This qualifies as trolling for attention by making a statement based on a prejudice assumption.
How about we judge eachother based on statements and leave the comedy for those with a personality to pull it off

Or I could just make jokes and hope people don't get butt hurt?

But heres something, I feel LA would rather take a bit more time with Byfield and hope he is an eventual Kopitar replacement. Also I'm not that high on Byfield so I don't know if he gets there.
Billy739, OldNYIfan, leafs101 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Billy739

Grow up.

I even went out of the way to give the context so no one could make such a mistake unless they knew nothing about the players being spoken about.
Which ive just realized you dont actually seem to possess basic knowledge on like when they were drafted for example.

For you to say your ignorance is justified you'd have to claim you thought Farrel wast drafted in the position described in my statement you quoted.
Is that the case? this is ignorance not malicious manipulation ?
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
Billy739
The comment you made about similar to Dach was in reference to trading the 13th overall draft pick, not Byfield.

Try to be intellectually honest; when you do, people will put more weight on your opinions.

That was the return for Dach i was justifying as i used the SAME RETURN FOR BYFIELD in term of the pick which i referenced SMH
I think i gave you too much credit in the past as your justification says you dont understand basic causation
Dec. 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.

Especially when massive power-forward esque centers often take longer to develop. Not every massive high end center is gonna start out like Malkin or Matthews did, and thats ok. Might take some time but it'd be absolutely ridiculous unless you got an elite young player and producer on a great contract such as, I don't know, Josh Anderson, in return.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.
That was the return for Dach i was justifying as i used the SAME RETURN FOR BYFIELD in term of the pick which i referenced SMH
I think i gave you too much credit in the past as your justification says you dont understand basic causation

lets not get testy here, not every team wants to trade their top prospect for your undersized wingers.
OldNYIfan, Billy739, QualityTrades1 and 2 others liked this.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: leafs101
Especially when massive power-forward esque centers often take longer to develop. Not every massive high end center is gonna start out like Malkin or Matthews did, and thats ok. Might take some time but it'd be absolutely ridiculous unless you got an elite young player and producer on a great contract such as, I don't know, Josh Anderson, in return.

A truly great comment. But maybe too hip for the room.
leafs101 liked this.
Or I could just make jokes and hope people don't get butt hurt?

But heres something, I feel LA would rather take a bit more time with Byfield and hope he is an eventual Kopitar replacement. Also I'm not that high on Byfield so I don't know if he gets there.

grrr unacceptable answer Habs fans want this therefore it must happen and you are wrong
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2022 at 12:05 a.m.

LA probably adds, that contract is a steal. Really, Anderson must have stolen a lot of precious things from Bergevin to get him to sign off on it.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2022 at 12:07 a.m.
Also, ever occur to you that maybe CHI was wrong to give up on Dach so early and not every team will make the same mistake?

Not to mention, Byfield is only 20 years old, 6 foot 5 220 pounds, at a point a game in the AHL and 9 goals through 14 games. Slaf isn't exactly lighting up the NHL but the Habs are being stupid with their development and keeping him up.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2022 at 12:15 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: leafs101
lets not get testy here, not every team wants to trade their top prospect for your undersized wingers.

Not his team , not about the players or prospects
If you manipulate my statements i have a right to call you out.

If when i do you quote me obvliviously not realizing the correlation between the Comparison of Dach/Byfield and the 13th OA pick used in both case's.
I got no problem people arguing their opinion , i love it.

I got a problem when ever 2-3 months its like someone hijacks his account and suddenly statements in Plain English are distorted until they dont reflect the context of the original statement. Whenever he's called out on it he goes silent then will play dumb next time we talk like he'd never say such a thing.

Its getting old
Otherwise i find OldNYIfan to be extremely pleasent to debate
But its like he gets drunk every once and a while acts out
Dec. 19, 2022 at 12:19 a.m.
Not his team , not about the players or prospects
If you manipulate my statements i have a right to call you out.

If when i do you quote me obvliviously not realizing the correlation between the Comparison of Dach/Byfield and the 13th OA pick used in both case's.
I got no problem people arguing their opinion , i love it.

I got a problem when ever 2-3 months its like someone hijacks his account and suddenly statements in Plain English are distorted until they dont reflect the context of the original statement. Whenever he's called out on it he goes silent then will play dumb next time we talk like he'd never say such a thing.

Its getting old
Otherwise i find OldNYIfan to be extremely pleasent to debate
But its like he gets drunk every once and a while acts out

if this is about the "similar value" vs "similar deal" thing, its the same thing. Like to be fair you said similar deals, and then the deal you made for Byfield here has a very comparable value to the Dach deal. Otherwise I can't seem to understand what such a big deal is being made over.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll