SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(LAK/CBJ) - 1st, Quick for Gavrikov, Korpisalo

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
I love this for both teams. I especially love how ruthless Blake was to launch Quick out of a cannon to clear the cap space. So he has to spend like a month at worst in a CBJ jersey. Boo friggin hoo. I'm pretty sure we've all had jobs we didn't like and were getting paid a hell of a lot less to do them than he is. He'll come back to LA to see his number get raised to the rafters and all will be well.

I think CBJ moves him before the deadline, no way Quick wants to play there. not a shot at Colombus, but it really seems like Quick would want to be anywhere but there.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
The part of this that upsets me is that the Kings didn't have to include Quick at all. Unless there's another trade in the works for the Kings where they need additional cap space, Quick could have finished out the season as a healthy scratch and retired a King.

They had roughly $3.5M in deadline cap space before the trade, and Gavrikov and Korpisalo have a combined hit of $4.1M. Literally throw in any other NHL contract (e.g. Grundstrom, Lemieux) and the Kings are cap compliant. Starting Friday, the 23-man roster limit no longer applies. Send one of the waiver exempt guys (e.g. Bjornfot or Kupari) down to Ontario for a couple days, then recall them with one of the four post-deadline recalls on Friday, and all is kosher.

I'll wait and see what happens in the coming days and reserve my final judgement until then, but in the meantime, this treatment of Quick seems like an unnecessary kick to the Gavrikovs.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: oilersguy
in Bedard's draft year being the last team in the league is a very good thing

Exactly. Whatever gets us to suck the hardest the next six weeks, I'm for. Not going to celebrate moral victories in a year that was lost by the end of the first month.

Cause, I mean, lets not pretend that a whole hell of a lot of the reason teams like, say NJ, are where they are is because of some good lottery luck.
oilersguy liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: darthsummer
So, without going over it in detail, the NHL has the best system in place. A few years on virtually identical ELCs for all players, with a path for the elite to earn more sooner. McDavid is making just shy of 17x as much as a player on the NHL minimum for a full season. Contracts are guaranteed. NMCs and NTCs are just excessive. Quick was free to sign a six or eight year deal and avoid this. As I said elsewhere, this would never happen if he was playing up to the value of his contract. NTCs should be reserved for special situations, like on year-to-year deals like Bergeron. The Kings promised Quick would get a paycheck for ten years. No statistical strings, milestones, or tripwires were attached. If you want commitment of X dollars for Y years, accept that you’re turning over a level of control to the team in return. They’ve purchased that right.

I mean, I don't really care about Quick or him getting traded, but this is one of the reasons why players will forego money in exchange for a NMC/NTC. If they want to stay somewhere or have a say in where they might end up down the line, the clauses give them that ability. Maybe if the Kings were garbage this season he would've been able to play out there - but the best case scenario for him is he gets dealt again to a playoff team.

Also, contracts aren't 100% guaranteed because they can be bought out which entitles the player to either 1/3rd or 2/3rds of the remaining value on it. Signing bonuses are guaranteed which is why a lot of top players are taking most of their deals in that instead of just salary.
Saskleaf and darthsummer liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: darthsummer
and Marchand is finally incarcerated.

We can only hope my friend.
darthsummer liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
Don't care about the sentimental stuff that folks are upset about, this deal makes the Kings a better team and that's the GM's job.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
Quoting: Doshee
Risky deal for LA, if Korpisalo can't get his game back, this might be awful, the conditions make it more stomachable tho
Good for Columbus

He already got his game back. That’s why this trade was possible. His hip is alright now and he’s been solid behind a really bad defense.
darthsummer liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Columbus wins, in part because the Kings were complete ****s in this trade.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
End of an Era. Sad to see him leave. He was one of the best in his prime. Future HHOF for sure
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 8:59 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: mondo
I mean, I don't really care about Quick or him getting traded, but this is one of the reasons why players will forego money in exchange for a NMC/NTC. If they want to stay somewhere or have a say in where they might end up down the line, the clauses give them that ability. Maybe if the Kings were garbage this season he would've been able to play out there - but the best case scenario for him is he gets dealt again to a playoff team.

Also, contracts aren't 100% guaranteed because they can be bought out which entitles the player to either 1/3rd or 2/3rds of the remaining value on it. Signing bonuses are guaranteed which is why a lot of top players are taking most of their deals in that instead of just salary.

Good points. Few are affected by the 1/3 but Alex Wennberg is a recent example (still has worked out well for him). And while 2/3 is better than nothing, it is significant enough. The bonuses are not only insulated but jumble the buyout math for teams. Still, I like the system on the whole compared to other leagues.

Also, you put it well, contemplating players foregoing some money in exchange for a NTC/NMC. Give something to get something. I just dislike the blanket notion of players expecting a clause after negotiating for max salary and term.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:09 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
Objectively? Fair deal.

LAK get an upgrade in net, and some solid D depth for the playoffs helps as well, not to mention they get first dibs at negotiations if things work out. In a wide-open Western Conference, this was the move to make.

CBJ still end up with their (conditional) 1st, 3rd, save $3M (pro-rated) in actual cash, don't have to retain, and get a veteran G to finish out the season and let Tarasov stay in the AHL for a little while longer. Some word going around CBJ may flip him somewhere for an asset if he pulls a Fleury which, if true, great. If not, still works.

Subjectively? Yeah man, Quick was kind of done dirty. Understand why he was upset.

Done dirty? He's making %5.8mm and playing likeone of the worst goalies. Quick did LAK dirty, not the other was around.
Saskleaf and darthsummer liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Quoting: aktobos71
Most of fans hates contracts where players have NTC and NMC. After this trade, veterans will see this conditions as must have in their future deals.

Perhaps, but after the Patrick Kane trade, I think teams are going to be reluctant to give a full no-move clause in the final year. Look at Dylan Larkin's new contract. He has a full no-trade the first few years, but it goes to a 10-team trade list toward the end. That seems reasonable to me. It gives the player some control but doesn't tie the team's hands.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:03 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
The part of this that upsets me is that the Kings didn't have to include Quick at all. Unless there's another trade in the works for the Kings where they need additional cap space, Quick could have finished out the season as a healthy scratch and retired a King.

They had roughly $3.5M in deadline cap space before the trade, and Gavrikov and Korpisalo have a combined hit of $4.1M. Literally throw in any other NHL contract (e.g. Grundstrom, Lemieux) and the Kings are cap compliant. Starting Friday, the 23-man roster limit no longer applies. Send one of the waiver exempt guys (e.g. Bjornfot or Kupari) down to Ontario for a couple days, then recall them with one of the four post-deadline recalls on Friday, and all is kosher.

I'll wait and see what happens in the coming days and reserve my final judgement until then, but in the meantime, this treatment of Quick seems like an unnecessary kick to the Gavrikovs.

Maybe Columbus wanted him so they could try to flip him to a contender and add to their return. I heard Vegas might be interested. Wouldn't that be fun?
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Mar. 4, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
A fair deal would have been Gavrikov for the conditional first + the third, given that the first could turn into two seconds.

Quick for Korpisalo is not a fair deal.

Why?

Because Quick is a cap dump and has a cap hit more than quadruple the size of Korpisalo's.

The Kings win the trade.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit