Forums/Armchair-GM

If Habs Get PLD This Summer Read Description

Created by: koremoo
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2023
Published: Mar. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The only reason the Habs should consider acquiring Dubois this summer is if he refuses to play anywhere else. In this scenario, the Habs would have levrage, and could probably acquire him for cheaper than expected. Although some teams have managed to salvage returns for similar players, like the Flames and Tkachuk, I don't think the Hughes and the Habs would consider a move that will cost them significantly less if they wait one more year. Obviously, the Jets won't want to move him for a smaller package, but if refuses to play for them, I think they will be forced to settle for a mediocre return.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
8$7,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$900,000
1$850,000
2$900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$72,144,999$1,170,000$4,195,000$11,355,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:41 a.m.
Jets have no need for Anderson and is just extra fluff for padding the deal from a jets perspective. Switch him for Dvorak and and in maybe mesar and Mailloux?
capsfan2121 and palhal liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:46 a.m.
dubois as 0 leverage for where he plays next year. this make no sense. now the year after that is different.
jpsnow13 and Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 8:50 a.m.
Habs should just offer sheet sheet him for a year, let WPG match it, then sign Dubois next season when he's a UFA and the Habs rookies are more seasoned and ready to get competitive.

I honestly can't imagine PLD stays in Winnipeg after next year. He very clearly wants to play in Montreal
jpsnow13, Andy_Dick and LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
Habs decline
jpsnow13 liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
Habs should just offer sheet sheet him for a year, let WPG match it, then sign Dubois next season when he's a UFA and the Habs rookies are more seasoned and ready to get competitive.

I honestly can't imagine PLD stays in Winnipeg after next year. He very clearly wants to play in Montreal

I'd arguably say that I'd prefer the os 2024 unprotected first and a 3rd is probably better than this offer lol
jpsnow13 liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.

It is not very clear. His agent stated one time that he might like to play for Montreal one day. Montreal media have just gotten that comment out of proportion.
That said he probably doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg as it is a crap city compared to alot of the other options out there.
Also don't see an offer sheet of anything less than a 1st, 2nd, 3rd salary even get considered by PLD.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: Howie
Jets have no need for Anderson and is just extra fluff for padding the deal from a jets perspective. Switch him for Dvorak and and in maybe mesar and Mailloux?

Dvorak is injured until after the start of next season, his status would be a big concern for the Jets.
Mailloux I don't think is yet to be cleared to play after his off ice stuff is settled and that would just be a mess the Jets don't need.
Only players I see being if interest to the Jets are Dach, Beck, Barron, Kidney, Mesar or Roy. There might be a couple other prospects as well but one of those would have to be the main piece.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
It is not very clear. His agent stated one time that he might like to play for Montreal one day. Montreal media have just gotten that comment out of proportion.
That said he probably doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg as it is a crap city compared to alot of the other options out there.
Also don't see an offer sheet of anything less than a 1st, 2nd, 3rd salary even get considered by PLD.

Everyone knows he wants to play for Montreal. I don't think it was blown out of proportion. To me, it read as "hey Montreal, this kid wants to come home", and I think that will probably end up happening.
Especially if Winnipeg fails to do anything significant in these playoffs and in next years season, he definitely won't stay there, and it's unlikely he goes anywhere but Montreal when he's a UFA.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
Dvorak is injured until after the start of next season, his status would be a big concern for the Jets.
Mailloux I don't think is yet to be cleared to play after his off ice stuff is settled and that would just be a mess the Jets don't need.
Only players I see being if interest to the Jets are Dach, Beck, Barron, Kidney, Mesar or Roy. There might be a couple other prospects as well but one of those would have to be the main piece.

Yeah I agree with you there on those players and prospects just don't think many mtl agms will realize his true value and make a agm in any way to get him for worse than we could as a rental.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:28 a.m.
Everyone knows he wants to play for Montreal. I don't think it was blown out of proportion. To me, it read as "hey Montreal, this kid wants to come home", and I think that will probably end up happening.
Especially if Winnipeg fails to do anything significant in these playoffs and in next years season, he definitely won't stay there, and it's unlikely he goes anywhere but Montreal when he's a UFA.

I don't disagree. If the Jets don't do much next season they should rebuild. So many UFAs sheet next season that it would be perfect time to sell.
Ennis and LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: drambui
dubois as 0 leverage for where he plays next year. this make no sense. now the year after that is different.

While he has no leverage as to where the team sends him, he still has more leverage than you think. When a player clearly indicate not wanting to sign long term with any team other than team X, the player suddenly has put his current GM in a complex situation where all other teams have considerably less interest in the player, and team X, while not having all say in the matter will be able to see if a transaction can be made in order to satisfy both teams without either getting to overpay or underpay.

This also shows that WIN could potentially find some return for the player instead of just losing him in a year (which for some reason some WIN fans have no clue that this would be the worse possible thing to happen to their team). And if for some reason people think they can get more by waiting for TDL to come by, well.. That will still depend on what Dubois' speech whill be down the line. If he's still out there saying no to long term or even extension with any team he's dealt to, then Chev just got a low return for a prime player. No team will offer a 1st overall plus assets for someone who's not wanting to extend with them. Or think about the possibility of injury half way down the season.. You suddenly lose all capacity to trade him out for even a decent return.

Anderson + 1st pick 2023 (FLA) is considerable, given Anderson's contribution in terms of size and play and that he's under contract for a few more years which gives Chev some breathing room given that most impactfull players are not looking to sign in WIN.

Not saying this is the best for WIN, but it is something that they should consider if this comes their way.. Chev should ensure that something comes their way for him. A 1st overall in 2023 (FLA) isn't something to put aside and say no to, include a good power forward with contract left.. You may have gotten something more interesting for your team.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
Any lineup with Gurianov, Hoffman, Dvorak in your top 9 and continued reliance on Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak to stay healthy and rediscover their "game" is bound to fail.

The UFA market doesn;t look great, but that lineup, especially at forward, is still years away.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.

Thats if he ever becomes a ufa as that is your view. As an unbiased completely neutral viewpoint Dubois probably still doesn't know fully where he wants to play, long term vs short term, salary. The fact is we are all latching to information that easily can be changed within a moments notice so instead of fixating on what has been stated so far to be patient to see what type of situation it is around Dubois so we can all see the situation from the same perspective. That's the whole problem with Dubois on capfriendly as so many people value him differently (rental vs extension, os, etc). That's why it's a damn warzone on back and forth bickering that gets nowhere as all viewpoints see and support their view in different ways. What we need is all the Information laid out so a consensus is made or him to get traded when no one expects.
Ennis liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
Yeah I agree with you there on those players and prospects just don't think many mtl agms will realize his true value and make a agm in any way to get him for worse than we could as a rental.

As a rental he should get more than ROR, Bertuzzi and Tarasenko in my opinion.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
While he has no leverage as to where the team sends him, he still has more leverage than you think. When a player clearly indicate not wanting to sign long term with any team other than team X, the player suddenly has put his current GM in a complex situation where all other teams have considerably less interest in the player, and team X, while not having all say in the matter will be able to see if a transaction can be made in order to satisfy both teams without either getting to overpay or underpay.

This also shows that WIN could potentially find some return for the player instead of just losing him in a year (which for some reason some WIN fans have no clue that this would be the worse possible thing to happen to their team). And if for some reason people think they can get more by waiting for TDL to come by, well.. That will still depend on what Dubois' speech whill be down the line. If he's still out there saying no to long term or even extension with any team he's dealt to, then Chev just got a low return for a prime player. No team will offer a 1st overall plus assets for someone who's not wanting to extend with them. Or think about the possibility of injury half way down the season.. You suddenly lose all capacity to trade him out for even a decent return.

Anderson + 1st pick 2023 (FLA) is considerable, given Anderson's contribution in terms of size and play and that he's under contract for a few more years which gives Chev some breathing room given that most impactfull players are not looking to sign in WIN.

Not saying this is the best for WIN, but it is something that they should consider if this comes their way.. Chev should ensure that something comes their way for him. A 1st overall in 2023 (FLA) isn't something to put aside and say no to, include a good power forward with contract left.. You may have gotten something more interesting for your team.

i guess when you say first overall you just mean first round pick. The thing is he could be the most sought out rebtal of that year. if the jets feel they can get an offer thats better than a first and anderson, than they ahould go that way. also, keep in mind they its quitw possible they might not want anderson at all, if they sell dubois they might go off rebuilding too, wanting more prospects than ready now players.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill

I think any AGM that includes a first round pick, a seasoned player, and or not a prospect is a win for Chev. Hoding out for the rental thing is not very good when you don't know if the player will agree to sign extensions with another team other than the one he wants to go to and has said so. It's a huge gamble since teams suddenly know they can have him as a rental, but will offer considerably less than a good positioned pick in a high potential draft year such has 2023 (and I think 2025 was indicated as being potentially a good value).

You risk losing out on a 1st rounder, then you risk injury to the player mid-year. Suddenly, while still with high value, you're not getting the return you could've gotten. I would move him out if I could get a decent return. This would end the freaking fiasco around the team and give fans a look into what you are willing to do to help build on solid ground down the line.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
Thats if he ever becomes a ufa as that is your view. As an unbiased completely neutral viewpoint Dubois probably still doesn't know fully where he wants to play, long term vs short term, salary. The fact is we are all latching to information that easily can be changed within a moments notice so instead of fixating on what has been stated so far to be patient to see what type of situation it is around Dubois so we can all see the situation from the same perspective. That's the whole problem with Dubois on capfriendly as so many people value him differently (rental vs extension, os, etc). That's why it's a damn warzone on back and forth bickering that gets nowhere as all viewpoints see and support their view in different ways. What we need is all the Information laid out so a consensus is made or him to get traded when no one expects.

Good points, I definitely agree.

The way I see it, is PLD has a short track record of being a bit whiny (see CLB). I have a theory that he was probably whining to his agent that he wants to go home and play out the rest of his career in Quebec, close to family as well. So his agent made a brief, vague comment that kind of threw a hint at Montreal that read as "hey, bring him home".

But, as we can clearly see, it was met with uproar from both sides. It's going to be interesting to see where he goes, and what ends up happening. In my opinion, it'll be a complete shock to me if I read in the headlines tomorrow "PLD SIGNS 8-YEAR EXTENSION WITH WPG".

But, it's still enticing for him to go to Montreal. Great rookie core and die hard fanbase. Especially after this season if they can snag one of Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson, it's going to make him want to play there even more.
If he walks as a UFA after next year, I don't see him going anywhere else.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.

Bertuzzi, O'Reilly and Tarasenko got decent returns as rentals. It should be very easy for Chevy to get a 1st and 2nd in value for him, if not more.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:43 a.m.
Habsfan17
Jets have no need for Anderson and is just extra fluff for padding the deal from a jets perspective. Switch him for Dvorak and and in maybe mesar and Mailloux?[/quote

Montreal would not add multiple top prospects when they have the leverage, I think Anderson makes sense considering he is under contract for the majority of his prime and Winnipeg has a history of having trouble signing unrestricted free agents.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill

Yeah, you do make a good point. We are all basing our AGM's on what was said by Dubois. On the other hand, whatever is said behind closed doors with Chev may be a completely different conversation. Maybe they haven't traded him out because he still is figuring out which teams he would actually sign long term with and Chev is working those instead of doing what we are putting on here.

All of the Dubois AGM's, including mine, are only based on what we know at this time. Like you said.. Maybe Dubois told Chev "I'll sign long term with MTL, COL, NYR, or LAK.. If you trade me there I'll sign long temr with any of those teams.".. But in the media, only indicated wanting to come to MTL.

I just think Chev needs to trade him out this summer before his value goes down or hurts himself. Get it done, No more distractions from that player and then check up the other ones that want to stay or go, and get ready to get some return for them before losing them all for nothing.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
Good points, I definitely agree.

The way I see it, is PLD has a short track record of being a bit whiny (see CLB). I have a theory that he was probably whining to his agent that he wants to go home and play out the rest of his career in Quebec, close to family as well. So his agent made a brief, vague comment that kind of threw a hint at Montreal that read as "hey, bring him home".

But, as we can clearly see, it was met with uproar from both sides. It's going to be interesting to see where he goes, and what ends up happening. In my opinion, it'll be a complete shock to me if I read in the headlines tomorrow "PLD SIGNS 8-YEAR EXTENSION WITH WPG".

But, it's still enticing for him to go to Montreal. Great rookie core and die hard fanbase. Especially after this season if they can snag one of Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson, it's going to make him want to play there even more.
If he walks as a UFA after next year, I don't see him going anywhere else.

But that's the thing if he goes to ufa I feel like he doesn't go to mtl as mtl would have had 2+ years to aquire him and without getting some type of mutual interest he may go elsewhere. Money is also important as if he goes ufa he's getting 9.5m on a 7 year deal most likely and mtl would need to compete with all teams where Dubois has all the leverage on where he goes and will do what benefits best rather than going home. If he's gets a 8m offer with mtl and 10m with Florida or some other team with better tax that's almost 2.5m more a season. Also would mtl realistically go for him in a bidding war and jeopardize future contracts by overpaying Dubois to come home. That is my view again so that's why we need to wait so we don't have 1000+ different perspectives all Slightly different but vastly polar opposites.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:46 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Bertuzzi, O'Reilly and Tarasenko got decent returns as rentals. It should be very easy for Chevy to get a 1st and 2nd in value for him, if not more.

So basically... The one posted on this AGM meets your core needs.. He gets an NHLer and a 1st pick... In 2023..
Ennis liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
But that's the thing if he goes to ufa I feel like he doesn't go to mtl as mtl would have had 2+ years to aquire him and without getting some type of mutual interest he may go elsewhere. Money is also important as if he goes ufa he's getting 9.5m on a 7 year deal most likely and mtl would need to compete with all teams where Dubois has all the leverage on where he goes and will do what benefits best rather than going home. If he's gets a 8m offer with mtl and 10m with Florida or some other team with better tax that's almost 2.5m more a season. Also would mtl realistically go for him in a bidding war and jeopardize future contracts by overpaying Dubois to come home. That is my view again so that's why we need to wait so we don't have 1000+ different perspectives all Slightly different but vastly polar opposites.

PLD averages 18 minutes TOI this season playing under PPG pace. Hard to imagine he gets 9.5 on the open market lmao. I'd say somewhere around the 7-7.5 mark. He's a 2C.

He doesn't want to play anywhere else. He wants to go home to Quebec. Montreal has leverage. They don't have to jump or bite on a trade when they can re-tool for another year and just wait for him to walk. Unless they REALLY want him for next year, they don't need to make any quick decisions.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
Yeah, you do make a good point. We are all basing our AGM's on what was said by Dubois. On the other hand, whatever is said behind closed doors with Chev may be a completely different conversation. Maybe they haven't traded him out because he still is figuring out which teams he would actually sign long term with and Chev is working those instead of doing what we are putting on here.

All of the Dubois AGM's, including mine, are only based on what we know at this time. Like you said.. Maybe Dubois told Chev "I'll sign long term with MTL, COL, NYR, or LAK.. If you trade me there I'll sign long temr with any of those teams.".. But in the media, only indicated wanting to come to MTL.

I just think Chev needs to trade him out this summer before his value goes down or hurts himself. Get it done, No more distractions from that player and then check up the other ones that want to stay or go, and get ready to get some return for them before losing them all for nothing.

Yes exactly. This whole situation is like an iceberg. We see the tip with all the taking and running with what is there but ultimately isn't enough to know the whole iceberg. Dubois could have said what teams he'd go to or it may be just mtl. Those are the facts of the iceberg that's under the water that are crucial in determining everything. The whole point of these agms is a prediction on what happens but since not enough info is know we're all guessing the size of the iceberg collectively. Someone may have the exact deal on here already we just can't say for certain an expected return when we don't know these parameters.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
So basically... The one posted on this AGM meets your core needs.. He gets an NHLer and a 1st pick... In 2023..

Except I don't see why they would want Anderson.
Howie, Windjammer and palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll