SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Jakub Dobes (2 Years / $925,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Jakub Dobes has signed a new contract with the Montreal Canadiens.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Kent Hughes
Length: 2 years
Value: $1,850,000
Expiry Status: RFA
Cap % Tooltip: 1.12
Signing Team: Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens
Signing Date: Mar. 31, 2023
Source: CapFriendly

Jakub Dobes signed a 2 year, $1,850,000 contract with the Montreal Canadiens on Mar. 31, 2023. The contract has a cap hit of $925,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2023-24$925,000$925,000$0$92,500$832,500$925,000$80,000
2024-25$925,000$925,000$0$92,500$832,500$925,000$80,000
TOTAL$1,850,000$1,850,000$0$185,000$1,665,000$1,850,000$160,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Arguably the best goaltender prospect in this team. Will most likely split the net with Primeau in Laval.
drambui, OldNYIfan, ricochetii and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Great signing for the Canadiens. He and Devon Levi could have similar career arcs. Wolf, Cossa, Askarov, Wallstedt -- we could be seeing the dawn of another generation of great young goalies.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Le patriote
God! I though he would sign next year. COOL one!! Now who stay and who go, should HABS sign Perets too?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: habitantlecolon
God! I though he would sign next year. COOL one!! Now who stay and who go, should HABS sign Perets too?

Yes!! You can never have too many A-prospect goalies.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Great signing for the Canadiens. He and Devon Levi could have similar career arcs. Wolf, Cossa, Askarov, Wallstedt -- we could be seeing the dawn of another generation of great young goalies.

I'm still waiting to see if there's going to be changes in the technique or team defense. Otherwise, I'm looking at goaltenders with the size advantage being a factor again moving forward.
Scoring is trending upward, but nobody has been brave enough to adopt new defensive strategies yet and goaltending tends to be the last thing to adapt.
It's down to a science of angles and economy of movement based on years of offensive patterns. Goaltenders become cookie-cutter copies in technique and positioning as a result. When everything is the same, the one that covers more net will stop more pucks.
The goal line top corner shot is one example where goaltenders are struggling to adapt. Before that it was a similar angle exploiting lower areas on the post that weren't sealed. The current teaching is to use the form which seals the most space and force the shooter to make an accurate shot. So every goaltender has the exact same weakness/hole, but that hole is smaller for larger goaltenders.
That's just one example.

Is Askarov (or someone similar) going to be able to use reflexes and/or unconventional forms to change the game? Or is team defense going to have to change in order to account for weaknesses such as that?

I'm looking forward to Dobes and have been for a while. Hopefully getting some time to develop will have him prepared to step in at the right time when we are looking to contend again.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
Habs4Ever
People are saying : oh Primeau is done then
Nope, Allen-Monty will be MTL duo & Primeau-Dobes Laval duo IF Primeau clears waivers next year
They couldn’t take the chance to lose him and not have one goaltender prospect in the AHL
ricochetii, drambui, jpsnow13 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:17 p.m.
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
People are saying : oh Primeau is done then
Nope, Allen-Monty will be MTL duo & Primeau-Dobes Laval duo IF Primeau clears waivers next year
They couldn’t take the chance to lose him and not have one goaltender prospect in the AHL

Will Primeau really clear though? I think that's the big questions on Hughes and Gorton's (if he doesn't leave (wink wink)) mind.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Dobes has an NHL contract.
Dobes is a free goalie!
drambui, ricochetii, SevenLeg and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Dobes has an NHL contract.
Dobes is a free goalie!

Free? He''l play in the AHL for the rest of the season, and might not even start next year at Montreal.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: MONCAN
Free? He''l play in the AHL for the rest of the season, and might not even start next year at Montreal.

It’s a Harry Potter Dobey reference. 😛
jpsnow13, A_Habs_fan, habitantlecolon and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
It’s a Harry Potter Dobey reference. 😛

My bad lol
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Will Primeau really clear though? I think that's the big questions on Hughes and Gorton's (if he doesn't leave (wink wink)) mind.

Best case scenario would be to have Primeau claimed/traded sooner than later and add a beter prospect (Perets!?) On a 2-way contract to join Dobes.

Ultimatelly, Habs still have to draft a blue chip goalie prospect next summer. The weekest position thrue the whole organisation for sure right now.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: jpsnow13
Best case scenario would be to have Primeau claimed/traded sooner than later and add a beter prospect (Perets!?) On a 2-way contract to join Dobes.

Ultimatelly, Habs still have to draft a blue chip goalie prospect next summer. The weekest position thrue the whole organisation for sure right now.

Sign Perets, deal Allen, draft Bjarnason, dream on !!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 11:02 p.m.
Habs4Ever

Primeau might clear
Whoever would claim him needs to have him with the big club for at least 30 days. I don’t see a team needing a young goalie that badly. Most teams if not all have Primeau like goalies.

But Primeau is a way better goalie than Perets come on
drambui and SevenLeg liked this.
Apr. 2, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Evans truther

If we do sent him away without giving himn a decent chance to make it into the lineup and he florishes away it'll be a huuge mismanaged asset. We've got Monty that literrally ahd the same learning curve to this point and we'll do the same mistake as Florida? To me it sounds more that mangement is sold on Monty and he'll be paired with Primeau in Montreal where he'll have decent chances to show up while still inside the rebuild mode.
Apr. 2, 2023 at 10:09 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: ColonelX
If we do sent him away without giving himn a decent chance to make it into the lineup and he florishes away it'll be a huuge mismanaged asset. We've got Monty that literrally ahd the same learning curve to this point and we'll do the same mistake as Florida? To me it sounds more that mangement is sold on Monty and he'll be paired with Primeau in Montreal where he'll have decent chances to show up while still inside the rebuild mode.

Allen's new multiyears extention with a partial NTC tells me otherwise
Apr. 4, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
Banned

I agree. Time to move on from Primeau. I would trade back with our FLA 1st and grab 2 of the 3 top goalie prospects this draft. There are a handful of very very solid guys in the top 40 this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit