Forums/NHL Trades

(NJD/CBJ) - Severson for 2023 3rd (CGY)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: NARC311
Gotta think New Jersey prioritizes keeping Ryan Graves after this

Severson was the more likely of the two to return (I think). Harder to sign, but also better player and wanted to be here. Our GM has already started talking about Bahl filling many of Graves’ minutes next year. And in his exit interviews, Graves sounded more like a former Devil (ie referring to Devils as “they”).

So Graves is likely gone.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: hugeballer
Severson will play great but then have a game losing play jekyll and hyde

Pretty much nails it. Much like Weegar or early Suter in a way. Can play two weeks of elite hockey, then make one play that would get a peewee benched.
hugeballer liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
So what’s the purpose of a sign and trade? If they had simply traded player’s rights for a 3rd wouldn’t CBJ be allowed to sign him 8 years since they have his rights?

Can only sign 8-year term with the team you played on at close of trade deadline. All others have 7-year max.
Jco5ta5 and RawDeal liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152

Oh this is gonna be a fun contract for the next 8 years

Sick back check from Hughes there... really gave Iverson the most help possible
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Sick back check from Hughes there... really gave Iverson the most help possible

What JH did means nothing for CBJ
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
What JH did means nothing for CBJ

It's to mention that that play wasn't all Severson's fault... he made the original stop which is what you want from your defensemen
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
It's to mention that that play wasn't all Severson's fault... he made the original stop which is what you want from your defensemen

Dude...
Making excuses for this is just next level d1ck riding
Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.

Oh this is gonna be a fun contract for the next 8 years

damn. cant believe an nhl defenceman made a bad play. outrageous.
Ritzy and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: drambui
damn. cant believe an nhl defenceman made a bad play. outrageous.

Severson is known for it.
Right handed Jake Gardiner
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
torontos finest
solid return for a pending ufa
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Dude...
Making excuses for this is just next level d1ck riding

Just providing context to the situation and my opinion of whose at fault
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Just providing context to the situation and my opinion of whose at fault

If you seriously think Severson isn't the primary issue here... woof
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If you seriously think Severson isn't the primary issue here... woof

He played pass, Hughes played shooter, Severson realized Hughes didn't take shooter and attempted to block both... It didn't work and ended up in the back of his net, what do you want him to do there?
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
He played pass, Hughes played shooter, Severson realized Hughes didn't take shooter and attempted to block both... It didn't work and ended up in the back of his net, what do you want him to do there?

He played neither lmao.
So Uhh, not that
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
He played neither lmao.
So Uhh, not that

Watch it again and watch Severson's reaction to Hughes not playing shooter (like he's supposed to), then we can talk
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Watch it again and watch Severson's reaction to Hughes not playing shooter (like he's supposed to), then we can talk

Lmao.
Actually lmao
Jun. 9, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
I'm pissed that they just raised the bar of what were going to have to pay Pesce next offseason
Jun. 9, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Great trade for NJD to get something for Severson.

Really feeling like Columbus are making bad choices. Why sign Severson for that long when you have young defensemans coming up? Insane.
darthsummer liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Edited Jun. 9, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
I don't think Jiricek will make the team next year
No rush for him, let him and Mateychuk develop

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Boqvist
Bean-Peeke
Blakenburg

Maybe you’re right, but it makes no sense to burn contract years while not using Jiricek. He doesn’t have much to prove in Cleveland.

Injuries notwithstanding, I’m expecting CBJ to target a lineup something like:
Werenski-Boqvist
Provorov-Severson
Jiricek-Gudbranson
Blankenburg+2nd defender (hopefully Bean)

Too much spent on Gudbranson to not use him. Yes, I know that puts two RD in the third pairing, but that’s how most of the last two years were spent. If they have a trade lined up, then great. Not so much of they’re trading Bean. Injuries have robbed him of playing a full season of games; they’d get pennies on the dollar. Bjork/Berni are backup plans, but the past has proven treating Europeans so disposable will lead to at least one of them returning home to play. My gut tells me Peeke will be traded back home as well, but that’s stateside. The Panthers’ surprise run cooled talk of their weaknesses, but Jarmo and his old protégé Bill Zito will swing something. (In my dreams, it’s an epic deal reuniting Laine with Barkov in Columbus, but as capital goes out the door, I realize the unrealistic nature. Still, it’s Tkachuk’s team now…maybe time for Barkov to get a fresh start?)

Mateychuk, Ceulemans, and Svozil all need another year of seasoning, but I would like to see one moved before desperation hits and while valuation is still at a peak. The rest project to be fillers (Knazko) or AHL talent (Christiansen, Bjørgvik Holm, Sweezey).

All of that said, I’m not overly fond of the trade for CBJ, and not just because they were paying for UFA rights. These are the types of middling moves that keeps a middling team forever at the middle of the pack, hoping to make the playoffs, hoping to win one series.

Instead, look at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd they just sent out the door. Now add Mateychuk or Ceuelmans. You have a starting point for an Erik Karlsson trade. Better yet, include Gudbranson and Merzlikins and tell SJS they don’t have to retain a dime on Karlsson. Not saying it’s all the way there—I’d try to include maybe three more 2nds/3rds and Bemström before conceding another 1st—but the framework is there. That (and/or Barkov) would actually move the needle.

Okay, I’ve said (almost) all I have to say. As long as CBJ/NJD were dealing, some form of Roslovic & Robinson for the other Boqvist would have made sense. Okay, now I’m done. For now.
TheRealisticGuy liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Ownership must have let Jarmo hear the branch creak. These have been good moves IMO, but they are not patient moves, they are win now moves.

I wonder if he moves 3OA?

Word is Vancouver REALLY wants Carlsson
Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Megalodon
Word is Vancouver REALLY wants Carlsson

Only thing Columbus appears to need is a 1C. I imagine they want Carlson to put with Pattersson. After that, what does Vancouver have that would convince Jarmo to let 3OA go?
Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Only thing Columbus appears to need is a 1C. I imagine they want Carlson to put with Pattersson. After that, what does Vancouver have that would convince Jarmo to let 3OA go?

Miller maybe?
Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Megalodon
Miller maybe?

Seriously doubt it. Jarmo mentioned the only way to pry 3OA is a young, bonafide 1C who will be with the team for the next 8 years, and won't be past their prime a few years from now. Petey's the only way to get that done from Vancouver's side.
darthsummer liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Seriously doubt it. Jarmo mentioned the only way to pry 3OA is a young, bonafide 1C who will be with the team for the next 8 years, and won't be past their prime a few years from now. Petey's the only way to get that done from Vancouver's side.

Vancouver should be considering a teardown. Pettersson for 3OA and Texier or something should be enough. Building up with Leo, Aatu, Rathbone, Texier should be a good start on a rebuild.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:12 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
So what’s the purpose of a sign and trade? If they had simply traded player’s rights for a 3rd wouldn’t CBJ be allowed to sign him 8 years since they have his rights?

I'm not sure what the rule is, but the same thing happened with Matthew Tkachuk last summer. Officially he signed with Calgary and then got traded to Florida, which I thought was ironic since the whole reason that trade happened was that he said he wouldn't sign with Calgary. The other thing I think is funny is Severson's contract has a no trade clause, so I guess he would have had to waive that to be traded to Columbus.

Somebody said the player has to be with the team at the trade deadline. I figured that was why Carolina waited until after the trade deadline to extend Kotkaniemi during his first year with them -- normally a player can sign an extension anytime in the last year of his contract -- but I don't think that's entirely correct, because the Islanders didn't wait until the trade deadline to sign Bo Horvat for 8 years after acquiring him from Vancouver. So if anybody knows exactly what conditions need to be met for a player to be able to sign an 8-year contract, I'd love to hear it.
Jco5ta5 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit