SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #3 - Free Agent Frenzy

One of the more popular debates online recently has been Malkin vs Kane. Who do you guys think had the better career? I'm going with Geno
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 24, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That's not how that works, Toews and Malkin were both essential players to their teams cup runs. Also, Malkin has shown repeatedly when Crosby was injured that he's fine without him

I forget if his nickname was super Malkin or juggernaut Malkin whenever Crosby went down

As whenever u heard Crosby was hurt it was uh oh here comes ________ Malkin
edeangel84 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Really curious to see what the Devils do with Tyce Thompson. I like his upside, and he's no longer waiver exempt

I'm a big fan of the guy and if it weren't for some very untimely injuries in the 21-22 he would've been in a very good position to carve a full-time role out for himself on this Devils team (I mean the Devils iced frickin Mason Geertsen for 25 games that season).
A lot of things can happen in pre-season camp but between the Devils adding Nosek and Tierney in free agency combined with Holtz and Foote looking very likely to be mainstays on the roster odds are that Tyce does get waived. I'd give him about a 50-50 chance to clear waivers and I really hope he does remain in the organization for this season.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
WentWughes
DeAngelo to the Canes 1x1.6m
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
WentWughes
I'm surprised how much quality is left on the Free Agency market this late into the season. Arizona could be a playoff contender if they went ahead and signed all of the top remaining players.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I'm surprised how much quality is left on the Free Agency market this late into the season. Arizona could be a playoff contender if they went ahead and signed all of the top remaining players.

where do you see quality?

Tatar and Tarasenko, thats it. Dumba and Suter are decent
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
I'm a big fan of the guy and if it weren't for some very untimely injuries in the 21-22 he would've been in a very good position to carve a full-time role out for himself on this Devils team (I mean the Devils iced frickin Mason Geertsen for 25 games that season).
A lot of things can happen in pre-season camp but between the Devils adding Nosek and Tierney in free agency combined with Holtz and Foote looking very likely to be mainstays on the roster odds are that Tyce does get waived. I'd give him about a 50-50 chance to clear waivers and I really hope he does remain in the organization for this season.

I was inspecting team rosters to look for some potential waiver claims. Because there's still some unsigned players, it's not the time to drop some names but Tyce Thompson might already be on a potential waiver claim list.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
Quoting: pinslack
where do you see quality?

Tatar and Tarasenko, thats it. Dumba and Suter are decent

well CF still lists guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Kane, Tarasenko, Tatar, Dumba. Then you have guys like Comtois, Puljujarvi, Cal Foote who imo are good low risk high reward pickups
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
well CF still lists guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Kane, Tarasenko, Tatar, Dumba. Then you have guys like Comtois, Puljujarvi, Cal Foote who imo are good low risk high reward pickups

Bergy and Krejci are pretty much Bruin or Retirememt it seems.

Pulji is decent but Foote is VERY meh, and Comtois is pretty bad. I went to the PHI-ANA game in January and he looked like Deslaurier out there except DeLo was useful (sorta). Anyway's I don't really consider any of them "high reward"
Jul. 24, 2023 at 5:06 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
who wants to have the honor of making the new thread?
also, what should the new title be?
Jul. 24, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
New Thread

@BeterChiarelli , you can close this one
Jul. 25, 2023 at 12:43 a.m.
Edited Jul. 25, 2023 at 8:01 a.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Bergy and Krejci are pretty much Bruin or Retirememt it seems.

Pulji is decent but Foote is VERY meh, and Comtois is pretty bad. I went to the PHI-ANA game in January and he looked like Deslaurier out there except DeLo was useful (sorta). Anyway's I don't really consider any of them "high reward"

I really think Foote has a chance to be "Luke Schenn 2.0" if he can get coached up. That's a bet I wish the Avs would take. It doesn't cost much if given a 2 way contract.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.
Edited Jul. 29, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Arbitration filings for Boston and Jeremy Swayman — team: $2M, player: $4.8M
8:49 AM · Jul 28, 2023

This one kinda sets the rate for the next wave of 1a/1b goalie teams. Joel Hofer cares about this. Boston gets a whole lot of goaltending for something like 8.5 mil. Super good spot for the bruins to be in.

Side note: if swayman is just B tier his entire career the dude is set to bring in a huge bag. He could arguably hit the 5 mil mark before 27 and on short term. nice being a late birthday, on an amazing team, and accruing quality starts while so young.
Jul. 30, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Edited Jul. 30, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
According to NHL insider Elliotte Friedman, Frederic has filed for a one-year, $2.9 million contract, while the Bruins filed for a two-year, $2.8 million contract ($1.4 million AAV).

This one is interesting to me because Trent Frederic is interesting.

Trent is behind the curve, so to say, simply because the Bruins are both deep and good.

He should have more than 11 min average ice time at 24, and he should have about half a season to a full season more nhl experience.

To score 17 goals in the role he was assigned is excellent. To play his physical role without injury is excellent. He is the archetype of forward in hot demand thanks to Tkachuk and he can play center.

Super valuable asset.

If the Bruins offer is selected, which I personally think is likely, altho the aav going up a little, they will get what I believe is an outstanding forward at a discount relative to performance for 2 years, then they’ll have to pay the piper or likely watch him walk, as 2 years sends him straight to ufa.

Who knows what the future holds; but if I’m the Bruins and I fully lose this arb case and a 1-year deal is selected, and Frederic shows improvement early season, then I’m trying to get him extended asap, cause that’s territory he becomes unaffordable over time, or where you have to take on too much risk with too little evidence, accelerated cause he’s a year or two behind where he’d be on a less deep team.

If I’m Trent frederic I’m training my ass off this off-season: the next season is a huge one for his career, especially early as the Bruins put the pieces together without Bergeron/Krejci.
Jul. 30, 2023 at 1:13 p.m.
JimmyPaek
I voted Geno but I’m obviously biased. Kane ahead of Geno is fine with me. It’s the Toews blasphemy that is ridiculous. For the Hawks dynasty it’s Kane, Keith, Toews.
Jul. 30, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: NHLfan10506
So the delay is Karlsson deciding which team? Or are the four teams (CAR, PIT, SEA, TOR) busy trying to convince their NTC players to waive to San Jose?

It’s simply too much money to move to get this deal done this summer in my opinion. I also think it’ll be even harder at the deadline, so I think it’s summer ‘24 when he finally moves.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.
Edited Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:11 a.m.
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
Anaheim and Troy Terry made their arbitration submissions — team: $4.5M, player: $8M

I feel terrys ask is disrespectful. He wants the benefits of a contract he did not sign or take the downside of. If he wanted a highly compensated final rfa year then he should have had his agent structure his career that way. He doesn’t get that simply because others did because the others had a downside that they had to endure, while he skipped that by taking job security on a rebuild team.

DeBrincat is better, sold 2 ufa years and didn’t get 8M.

If he gets 6 I’d be very surprised. Guessing 5.0-5.2. If I were Anaheim I’d go full scorched earth. Very uncomfortable arb.

Atleast in samsonov’s case each side could point to something to justify their extreme. Both extremes were out of line but based in reality. I do not see that here for Terry whatsoever.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Elliotte Friedman
FriedgeHNIC
·
Anaheim and Troy Terry made their arbitration submissions — team: $4.5M, player: $8M

I feel terrys ask is disrespectful. He wants the benefits of a contract he did not sign or take the downside of. If he wanted a highly compensated final rfa year then he should have had his agent structure his career that way. He doesn’t get that simply because others did.

If he gets 6 I’d be very surprised. Guessing 5.0-5.2. If I were Anaheim I’d go full scorched earth.

This is just how arbitation goes, They both go complete opposite ends, both asks are pretty unreasonable.

Terry was the better of him and Debrincat last year, I don't find Debrincat too be that much better in the full scheme of things. On a 1-2 year deal he'll get in the 5-6 range imo.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
Edited Jul. 31, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
This is just how arbitation goes, They both go complete opposite ends, both asks are pretty unreasonable.

Terry was the better of him and Debrincat last year, I don't find Debrincat too be that much better in the full scheme of things. On a 1-2 year deal he'll get in the 5-6 range imo.

For sure. I think it’s a super interesting. I’d love to participate in one. (Edit: not as an arbitrator, as one of the sides). Big fan of high level debate and such. Just not as big of a fan of reading legal precedent, so passed on that career path.

In this case it’s so cool that it’s two parties who will continue a professional relationship. Kinda different to have to go to war against somebody you’re about to go to war with.

If they all just split down the middle we wouldn’t need the process

I wonder how much the agents prep. I’d want to have a group mock the opposition prior to the arb and have rebuttals prepared.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Elliotte Friedman
FriedgeHNIC
·

I feel terrys ask is disrespectful. He wants the benefits of a contract he did not sign or take the downside of. If he wanted a highly compensated final rfa year then he should have had his agent structure his career that way. He doesn’t get that simply because others did because the others had a downside that they had to endure, while he skipped that by taking job security on a rebuild team.

If he gets 6 I’d be very surprised. Guessing 5.0-5.2. If I were Anaheim I’d go full scorched earth. Very uncomfortable arb.

Atleast in samsonov’s case each side could point to something to justify their extreme. Both extremes were out of line but based in reality. I do not see that here for Terry whatsoever.

Kind of surprised they couldnt get him on a long term deal 7.75m x 8 years was my guess considering Svechnikov got that
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: edeangel84
It’s simply too much money to move to get this deal done this summer in my opinion. I also think it’ll be even harder at the deadline, so I think it’s summer ‘24 when he finally moves.

I don't think he moves unless SJ decides to eat more salary. Honestly, I know he just had a monster season, but I expect the faster they get rid of him for absolutely anything, the happier they will be. Contract just looks uglier and uglier as it's backloaded, and he's unlikely to repeat these kind of numbers and stay healthy.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Kind of surprised they couldnt get him on a long term deal 7.75m x 8 years was my guess considering Svechnikov got that

Looks like it worked out mega well!!
Aug. 3, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.

Dubas reminded us that agent relationships overlap, this takes the cake.

Agents have like free rein.

This is so interesting.

What happens if a coach and star player share an agent but one of the two leaves to another team? What happens if that other team signs the remaining person?

What happens if an agent works for a team and acquires more talent it represents? (Even if it was the natural path forward regardless of the relationship)

It appears the answer is nothing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit