SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #3 - Free Agent Frenzy

One of the more popular debates online recently has been Malkin vs Kane. Who do you guys think had the better career? I'm going with Geno
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
And I've hit my twitter limit for the day lmao

Mastodon new user services have been overloaded since yesterday.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
And I've hit my twitter limit for the day lmao

One way to bypass that btw

Press notifications on for the main insiders (Friedman, Seravalli, Dreger etc.). Even though your feed will be empty, you still have access to notifications, and you can get tweets open through that.

I managed yesterday like that lol.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: justaBoss
One way to bypass that btw

Press notifications on for the main insiders (Friedman, Seravalli, Dreger etc.). Even though your feed will be empty, you still have access to notifications, and you can get tweets open through that.

I managed yesterday like that lol.

Yeah, I do that too on mobile luckily. Still sucks
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:44 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: pinslack
What's your worst deals of Day 1?

1. Killorn
2. Compher
3. Wood
4. Engvall
5. Korpisalo

1. Reaves
2. Mayfield
3. Holl
4. Clifton
5. Engvall
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: IconicHawk
1. Reaves
2. Mayfield
3. Holl
4. Clifton
5. Engvall

How can you honestly put Reaves at number 1 and not include Compher or Jarry???
BigBallsBriere, edeangel84, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:50 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Jarry is still good just injury prone and there weren’t any good goaltenders in free agency apart from Korpisalo so I see where Pittsburgh was going

Compher is still a solid NHL player he got overpaid by like 1M and that’s not the worst deal in the world could be better but could be worse
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I think that’s a good opinion but keep in mind that the Penguins hand was dealt. Not to defend or prop up Doobey Doobey Doo, but I think the general understanding is he has to build around Crosby, Malkin, Letang but also retain future assets.

From an outside view I feel the Penguins are substantially better for 2023/24 than 2022/23 and also haven’t wrecked the future, yet.

Lol yet is a good way of putting it! I agree with your analysis but I’d say we are moderately better. The problem is unless we over perform in the bottom 6 and Jarry finds the 21-22 Jarry I can’t see how we make the playoffs. I’ve been over this in my head too many times now but even IF Boston had a massive drop off and falls from record breaking team to out of the playoffs (reverse NJ) you have the giant shadow of Buffalo right up your rear. Even if the Isles fall off (Which I doubt) who’s to say Ottawa doesn’t gain enough to make it into the postseason?

The east looks like this:

1A Canes
1B Devils
3 Panthers
4 Rags
5 Tampa
6 Leafs (could move up still)
7 Boston (with Bergeron they’d go up)
8 ? Probably still the Isles but Buffalo is so close
9 Buffalo/us

It’s a tight window to sneak into and I’m not optimistic.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Seriously! Reaves at 1M max should been the deal but a 300 k overpay for 1 season isn’t even remotely close to the worst deal.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: IconicHawk
Jarry is still good just injury prone and there weren’t any good goaltenders in free agency apart from Korpisalo so I see where Pittsburgh was going

Compher is still a solid NHL player he got overpaid by like 1M and that’s not the worst deal in the world could be better but could be worse

I have debated this to death with our own fans but you only pay a goalie long term money if he’s elite or about to be elite. Otherwise it’s short term or let them walk.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
WentWughes

CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Anaheim, why are you paying Gudas 4MIL, WHY? Holy overpay

Agree it's an overpay but they have tons of space and well, they suck.

Gudas is a 'culture change' move (shock even) to "The Country Club of Anaheim Ducks"

In a couple of games I watched last year, the Ducks were the softest team ever defensively and the kids play a fun game of shinny in the N. H. of freaking-L!!

Gudas will get a jersey letter, bar-none...
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Quoting: McGruff
Agree it's an overpay but they have tons of space and well, they suck.

Gudas is a 'culture change' move (shock even) to "The Country Club of Anaheim Ducks"

In a couple of games I watched last year, the Ducks were the softest team ever defensivelyand the kids play a fun game of shinny in the N. H. of freaking-L!!

Gudas will get a jersey letter, bar-none...

He's basically there to put guys like Beagle in the hospital if they go after their young stars.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.
Edited Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: edeangel84
Lol yet is a good way of putting it! I agree with your analysis but I’d say we are moderately better. The problem is unless we over perform in the bottom 6 and Jarry finds the 21-22 Jarry I can’t see how we make the playoffs. I’ve been over this in my head too many times now but even IF Boston had a massive drop off and falls from record breaking team to out of the playoffs (reverse NJ) you have the giant shadow of Buffalo right up your rear. Even if the Isles fall off (Which I doubt) who’s to say Ottawa doesn’t gain enough to make it into the postseason?

1A Canes
1B Devils
3 Panthers
4 Rags
5 Tampa
9 Buffalo/us

Good points.

I am bullish on Jarry - but all of these isolated cases are just unique to all sorts of stuff we have no idea about, in this case an injury filled season (but still .909sv). His career has progressed well, he’s proven talent and his deal could be quite excellent - they bought all his prime years without having to buy into risk on the backend at a very good AAV for 50-55 starts or whatever it is. If he continues on the trajectory he was on the penguins will realize outstanding value. And there is a real viable outcome where he outperforms his trajectory. It could happen.

Call me crazy, but given how Lemieux had Coffey, I wonder if you get a burner on left defense: Karlsson or Krug. Both are persistently among the leagues leading power play points/60 with Krug often first (an injury derailed a portion of the previous season). Both carry the puck from behind the redline to the blue line if you let them. Both signed to term that matches Crosby/Malkin timeline. Both very low acquisition. cost - you won’t have to pay the future. We’ll see. Just a hunch. I feel it’s one or the other, or a third I cant identify.

Edit: I will say tho - special team domination is a win condition for a playoff berth. You can get there with that. It’s more than a dozen full points in swing between awful and excellent.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.

1A Canes
1B Devils
3 Panthers
4 Rags
5 Tampa
9 Buffalo/us

Panthers had a miracle run last season. But we're not great in the regular season and have lost a bunch of guys. Do you really have them 3rd in the conference?
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: Rangsey
Panthers had a miracle run last season. But we're not great in the regular season and have lost a bunch of guys. Do you really have them 3rd in the conference?

Not to hijack but I was gonna sit them out of the playoffs, then I saw what their healthy roster - defense - will be. They crushed free agency in my opinion. That’s a scary team when they’re all back.
edeangel84, Rolfadinho and Rangsey liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
WentWughes

Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Any guesses on what trades Tampa and Vegas are gonna make to get under the cap?
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: kdawg32086
Any guesses on what trades Tampa and Vegas are gonna make to get under the cap?

Kucherov and Stone to LTIR until playoffs
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Seriously! Reaves at 1M max should been the deal but a 300 k overpay for 1 season isn’t even remotely close to the worst deal.

Especially when it can be buried almost completely if it doesn't work out (and I don't think it will). They clearly wanted the guy and overpaid to being him in, but that's free agency.
edeangel84 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
What in tarnation

Just to use his template, where do I think these UFAs are going

2. Bertuzzi - Nashville
9. Tarasenko - Florida
15. Domi - Toronto
16. P. Kane - Buffalo
23. Dumba - Arizona
35. Comtois - Philadelphia
36. Tatar - Chicago
50. Toews - retirement
52. Sundqvist - Boston
54. Yamamoto - San Jose
58. Gurianov - Washington
59. P. Suter - returns to Switzerland
61. Gregor - Calgary
62. Halak - Pittsburgh
66. Nosek - Winnipeg
69. MacEwen - St. Louis
70. Malgin - New Jersey
74. Stastny - Winnipeg
75. Kessel - Boston

And if you want to use it too, here's the names

2. Bertuzzi
9. Tarasenko
15. Domi
16. P. Kane
23. Dumba
35. Comtois
36. Tatar
50. Toews
52. Sundqvist
54. Yamamoto
58. Gurianov
59. P. Suter
61. Gregor
62. Halak
66. Nosek
69. MacEwen
70. Malgin
74. Stastny
75. Kessel
Jul. 2, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
Only guessing a few:

2. Bertuzzi
9. Tarasenko - Vancouver if they can find a roster move.
15. Domi
16. P. Kane
23. Dumba - this one is very curious to me, no clue tho. I like Ops guess of Arizona
35. Comtois
36. Tatar
50. Toews
52. Sundqvist - Jets. Maybe Chevy brings in a winner to try and keep some of the malcontents.
54. Yamamoto
58. Gurianov
59. P. Suter
61. Gregor
62. Halak
66. Nosek
69. MacEwen
70. Malgin
74. Stastny - Boston
75. Kessel - hall of fame but first a camp invite from STL. If y’all want Mogilny you’re getting Phil too.
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So FLA moved Duclair to sign Rodrigues

Idk Duclair had nice chemistry with Barkov and while Rodrigues is nice this feels like a downgrade
Jul. 2, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Dallas signs a familiar face in Bayreuther. Looks like it's a one way contract too. Maybe he's the replacement for Hakanpaa? Or maybe the Stars are gonna deal Lindell?
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: kdawg32086
Dallas signs a familiar face in Bayreuther. Looks like it's a one way contract too. Maybe he's the replacement for Hakanpaa? Or maybe the Stars are gonna deal Lindell?

Lindell's NMC makes him untradeable. Trading Hakanpää also feels unlikely, we already have plethora of LHDs but lack of RHDs.

Reckon Bayreuther will be the 8th D in case on injuries, similar to Butcher. He will likely spend the season in Cedar Park.
Jul. 2, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Quoting: justaBoss
Lindell's NMC makes him untradeable. Trading Hakanpää also feels unlikely, we already have plethora of LHDs but lack of RHDs.

Reckon Bayreuther will be the 8th D in case on injuries, similar to Butcher. He will likely spend the season in Cedar Park.

I can't really think of any other realistic way for Nill to create the cap space to re-sign Dellandrea and have more than 12 forwards.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit