Forums/NHL Trades

(EDM/DET) - Kostin, Yamamoto for Future considerations

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 29, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
How much did he want? He really isn't that good and hasn't done anything to demand more money.

The issue is, Holland was negotiating against KHL clubs. They don't have a salary cap.

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec·29m

Kostin was very close to signing with KHL Avangard Omsk – until DET deal today. Now, his agent will talk with GM Yzerman, who should have no problem out-bidding Omsk, where Kostin likely would not make >$900K US. Taxes better in Russia, but if DET wants Kostin they’ll get him.

Holland wasn't going to qualify Kostin due to contract demandsand arbitration rights, he would have been a UFA by Saturday.
Petey234178 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Insanely Sexy User
It seems like people are misinformed about both of these players. Yamamoto is a negative value guy who does legitimately nothing but coast when he's up against the top players. The only reason he's still in the league is because of his on-ice shooting percentage in his rookie season. The only thing he's really good at is exiting the zone, which could be valuable, I suppose, but he really does nothing else, he isn't a great shooter or passer. Kostin isn't some world-beater either, he was available on waivers and was also the product of an on-ice shooting percentage heater. If you look at the relative advanced metrics, you'll see that the oilers are actually better without Yamamoto and Kostin. Kostin was also going to sign in Russia.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
People posting misinformation about player contracts on literally the best website for looking up player contracts. Unreal.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
Quoting: nvsblty
People posting misinformation about player contracts on literally the best website for looking up player contracts. Unreal.

Welcome to capfriendly. Whereas the cap dont matter, and most, dont mind!
Jun. 29, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
...even if Detroit is the only team to come out of the deal with upside (unless you count "cap space to sign Bouchard" as upside).

I definitely count "cap space to sign Bouchard" as upside. That's the most valuable piece of this trade!
CD282, Andy_Dick and majormoose007 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:36 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
They were going to buy him out!

BUY WHY!?

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1674442304008904704

He has a net positive value on his contract. This is not a contract you normally need to dump. I get being worried about injuries, but still, not a good move.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Quoting: Petey234178
It seems like people are misinformed about both of these players. Yamamoto is a negative value guy ...

Not according to Dom.

Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Insanely Sexy User
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Not according to Dom.

Doms model stinks
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:46 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: IconicHawk
Those oilers fans really thought they could swindle a pick for Yamamoto

we thought Yamo was getting bought out
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Quoting: Petey234178
Doms model stinks

Can you find a better model?

53% here.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1674441377898217473

This is not a contract you need to buyout.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 8:23 a.m.
I was reading Yzerman’s comments on the trade, and he seems pretty keen on Kostin, but he sounded kind of non-committal on Yamamoto. He said something like, “we’ll see when we get back to Detroit.” That makes me wonder if they’re considering buying him out. I don’t know why they would if they don’t need the cap space – they may need it more next year than they do now – but if they do, then I think this is an overpay for Kostin.
RawDeal liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
torontos finest

CD282 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:05 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: mondo

I don't evaluate trades based on hindsight bias.

That would be cheating.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
I can't be the only one that's starting to question a few of the moves during this rebuild for Detroit.
CD282, Andy_Dick, majormoose007 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

Wow, just wow. Kostin's negotiating position just got a whole lot stronger. If Detroit doesn't sign Koatin, they get nothing from the trade but the buyout cap hit.
RawDeal liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
I can't be the only one that's starting to question a few of the moves during this rebuild for Detroit.

If this is 3D chess then I need to go back to 2D because it doesn't make much sense unless Detroit is shooting to just hit the cap floor next year too.
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Yzerman's stress test is hitting at about a 7 right now. Miffs the Cat trade allegedly (Not that I think Cat is all that special). But then drops a pipe bomb of a rebuilding interview night of draft. How do you not abuse the Cap knowing it's about to sky rocket is interesting. Could easily of gotten Cat and then overpaid Kane without much of an issue at the moment, and boom one of the better 2nd lines in hockey (Kane-Copp-Cat)
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
Yzerman's stress test is hitting at about a 7 right now. Miffs the Cat trade allegedly (Not that I think Cat is all that special). But then drops a pipe bomb of a rebuilding interview night of draft. How do you not abuse the Cap knowing it's about to sky rocket is interesting. Could easily of gotten Cat and then overpaid Kane without much of an issue at the moment, and boom one of the better 2nd lines in hockey (Kane-Copp-Cat)

Yzerman might be the most overrated GM on this site. Not bold, never takes risks. He keeps everything too close to the vest. He wont even tell other GMs the players he covets and never praises any players not on his own team. There was reason TB went with Brisebois whom got them over the top. Yzerman should have never taken Yamo without at least a 2nd. He did them a massive favour. His draft was also quite underwhelming with two players with decent floors but little upside. Taking players for nothing is all well and good but you are still wasting roster and cap space. He gave the Oilers a get out of jail free card and now they exploit the new space so they can sign a better, cheaper forward in Connor Brown.
majormoose007 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
WentWughes
Kostin didn't get qualified and Yamamoto got bought out lmao
Jun. 30, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I don't think either player has much value, both were going to UFA, so there's nothing bad here for Edmonton

I'm a genius, don't doubt me
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
This is the most baffling trade I've ever seen. Detroit buys out Yamamoto and doesn't qualify Kostin, so they're left with nothing but half a million dollars in dead cap for two years. Fortunately Yamamoto was young enough that the buyout was cheap, but why in the world would they do this for nothing? Am I missing something or is Holland laughing his head off at Yzerman's stupidity?
drambui, JeyCH22 and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 9:40 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
This is the most baffling trade I've ever seen. Detroit buys out Yamamoto and doesn't qualify Kostin, so they're left with nothing but half a million dollars in dead cap for two years. Fortunately Yamamoto was young enough that the buyout was cheap, but why in the world would they do this for nothing? Am I missing something or is Holland laughing his head off at Yzerman's stupidity?

I cant remember a more peculiar situation... this makes just no sense whatsoever. are we overvaluing GM? what was the thought process behind all of this!
Jun. 30, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: jr400

Don't remember something like this ever happening. I'd assume they were thinking they'd get something done with Kostin but obviously that failed. Only thing even remotely close is Buffalo trading a 3rd for Vesey and then not signing him anyways.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Yzerman might be the most overrated GM on this site. Not bold, never takes risks. He keeps everything too close to the vest. He wont even tell other GMs the players he covets and never praises any players not on his own team. There was reason TB went with Brisebois whom got them over the top. Yzerman should have never taken Yamo without at least a 2nd. He did them a massive favour. His draft was also quite underwhelming with two players with decent floors but little upside. Taking players for nothing is all well and good but you are still wasting roster and cap space. He gave the Oilers a get out of jail free card and now they exploit the new space so they can sign a better, cheaper forward in Connor Brown.

I won't go as far as to say he is the most overrated GM bc he has built a rather good farm system and all of his 1st rd drafts have been hitting, with the anticipation of edvinsson coming up this year and possibly Kasper. His picks don't bother me bc he was crucified for seider at the time so I'll give him benefit there. But I will admit that if you look at his recent transgressions they are not W's like previously thought. Trade for Ned was great... for all of one year. Vrana trade was great... for all of one year. Yama trade was "interesting"... for all of one day.

Don't get me started on his draft night interview claiming to still be in a rebuild. I just hope it's all camera fluff and he's doing some voodoo stuff in the background.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:01 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
I won't go as far as to say he is the most overrated GM bc he has built a rather good farm system and all of his 1st rd drafts have been hitting, with the anticipation of edvinsson coming up this year and possibly Kasper. His picks don't bother me bc he was crucified for seider at the time so I'll give him benefit there. But I will admit that if you look at his recent transgressions they are not W's like previously thought. Trade for Ned was great... for all of one year. Vrana trade was great... for all of one year. Yama trade was "interesting"... for all of one day.

Don't get me started on his draft night interview claiming to still be in a rebuild. I just hope it's all camera fluff and he's doing some voodoo stuff in the background.

Anyone who's posting on this site regularly is pretty glued in to what's going on in the hockey world right now. And not 1 person can explain what the heck the point of this was. It's absolutely perplexing. I wasn't thrilled with that draft interview either.

I know Steve has a lot of runway here, but at some point this team needs to take off.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit