SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Seattle Kraken signed Vince Dunn (4 Years / $7,350,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Caniac2000
Only 4 years takes him until he's 30, but that AAV is SUPER high for a guy that has never shown signs of being able to consistently produce offensively like he did last season...

Quoting: Knuckl3s
Are you serious? How do we know that last season wasn't a flash in the pan?

Anyone who watched him when he was with the Blues knew what he could be, the issue is that Berube refused to play him because he’s completely clueless when it comes to defensemen
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
Quoting: Blacktown
Mate, take off the Kraken glasses for a moment. This is a serious overpay. He’s 500k short of Quinn Hughes money and he’s half the player.

I don't think it's really fair to compare Hughes' contract to Dunn's. Hughes signed his long-term deal coming off his ELC, as an RFA without arbitration rights. Oftentimes, those sorts of contracts turn into bargains. Dunn on the other hand was an RFA with arbitration rights who was only one year away from qualifying for unrestricted free agency. He had significantly more leverage than Hughes did. Plus, in the seasons before signing their contracts, Dunn and Hughes posted very similar stat lines: a 64 point pace with 23:40 ATOI for Dunn, and a 60 point pace with 22:48 ATOI for Hughes. So I choose to view it as Hughes' contract is a bargain more so than Dunn's is an overpayment. In fact, Dunn's contract is pretty much right in line with what top-pairing LHD earn in the NHL today. And make no mistake, Vince has quietly become that caliber of player.
horse_ethan liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NHLfan10506
$6m x 8 = $48m. That is a lot of money.

There are only 32 dmen in NHL today that have gotten $6m on max term. That would put Dunn solidly in #2/#3 range. I think that’s fair.

Well, regardless of if we think he's closer to a no.2 or no. 3 caliber defender, the reality is that he was the no. 1 guy on the back end of a team that made the playoffs, and perhaps more importantly, exceeded most people's regular season expectations. If I'm being honest, I expect the Kraken as a whole to come back down to Earth somewhat next season, I just don't see anything from their off-season to suggest that they're going to be able to take another meaningful step forward any time soon. Doesn't mean they'll miss the playoffs, but they're probably still a ways away from being able to challenge for a top 3 spot in the Pacific division.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:25 p.m.
You mean Adam Larsson had a good defensive game last season

You could look at it that way, but I view the Dunn/Larsson pairing as more of a situation where they enhanced each other's games rather than covered each other's weaknesses. Being paired with a shutdown defenseman like Larsson allowed Dunn to venture forward more and not have to worry about defending as much, but Dunn also improved to where he was a capable defender in the defensive zone. He wouldn't have gotten as much ice time as he did (23:40 ATOI last season) if he couldn't handle himself in his own end. On the flip side, Larsson has posted career highs in points ever since arriving in Seattle; I'm sure having an offensive threat like Dunn on the other side helped, but Larsson has made noticeable steps forward in his offensive game as well.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:37 p.m.
I knew he was getting a raise, but I wasn't expecting this big of a raise. I have to vote no here. I'm not saying it is a terrible deal, but it is not a good one either.
rollie1967 and Trickster liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
You could look at it that way, but I view the Dunn/Larsson pairing as more of a situation where they enhanced each other's games rather than covered each other's weaknesses. Being paired with a shutdown defenseman like Larsson allowed Dunn to venture forward more and not have to worry about defending as much, but Dunn also improved to where he was a capable defender in the defensive zone. He wouldn't have gotten as much ice time as he did (23:40 ATOI last season) if he couldn't handle himself in his own end. On the flip side, Larsson has posted career highs in points ever since arriving in Seattle; I'm sure having an offensive threat like Dunn on the other side helped, but Larsson has made noticeable steps forward in his offensive game as well.

Whatever the case, they are more likely than not to regress back to being 2nd pair caliber next season as a duo
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:51 p.m.
Whatever the case, they are more likely than not to regress back to being 2nd pair caliber next season as a duo

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Personally I believe Dunn and Larsson are more than capable of maintaining their top-line production and will do so, but I guess we'll see.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 8:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Personally I believe Dunn and Larsson are more than capable of maintaining their top-line production and will do so, but I guess we'll see.

Even if they do, I don't fully trust either of the Kraken's other two pairings(Dumoulin + Schultz, Oleksiak + Borgen) to hold their own in top four minutes
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
I like the term for both sides the AAV seems about a million too high though.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
That seems like a lot based on one good season.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Better than Filip Hronek, Nurse, Krug, Seth Jones, and many more who make equal or more than him. Great contract. Will be curious how this affects other signings for defenders. Especially when I would not consider him an elite defender but a very good one. Has the possibility to be 1 mill to much but it could be much worse. This is very trade-able if needed.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:40 p.m.
How is this a bad signing, he put up good points for a 26 year old def, and is a cup winner!
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
You mean Adam Larsson had a good defensive game last season

Dunn has always been solid defensively
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: shanetrain000
How is this a bad signing, he put up good points for a 26 year old def, and is a cup winner!

Lack of consistency and one season of this kind of production
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I like Dunn, Think this is pretty fair for him after a really good season.

This seems like a contract that will be called terrible by a lot at first then age really well. And if it doesn't SEA didn't make that long of a commitment to him.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: SoFlaSooner
That seems like a lot based on one good season.

He’s had more than one good season

<a href=IMG-8725">
Tintin and SoFlaSooner liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 9:59 p.m.
at best Dunn makes this an okay deal, more likely its an overpayment. I wasnt expecting anything more than 6mil per, i like the player but not at that price, had to vote no.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 10:43 p.m.
At least the Kraken avoided getting themselves saddled with this contract into his 30's when he will likely decline. It's a little high on the AAV for him across the league, but for the Kraken it's fine and he forms a solid top pair. I do think his success is somewhat replaceable on the open market any given year but you would pay at least 80% of this price to do it; so might as well go with what you know.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
When I saw it, I was like: "4 years at 5.5-6.5 mill, it's great for both sides, especially on a short term contract" but... Not worth the risk IMO... He might turn out great for the next 4 years, but I think they could have gotten him for cheaper.

For only 200k less than Morgan Rielly on a shorter term deal when the cap goes up... I'm glad the Leafs extended Rielly for the money and term they did
Jul. 21, 2023 at 11:04 p.m.
Good nerd
My initial reaction was that the AAV was too high. But when I look at their cap situation going forward, it is probably fine at that 4 year term. Let's check back in again in 2025, but at that point, the contract will only have 2 years left and the cap will be way up.
Jul. 22, 2023 at 1:29 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Are you serious? How do we know that last season wasn't a flash in the pan?

Montour was probably a flash in the pan, Dunn is at the age where he should be getting good.

But Florida fans look out since Monty is going to see this and say "Ka-ching"
Jul. 22, 2023 at 1:57 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Db1899
Dunn has always been solid defensively

No he hasn't. Army wouldn't have exposed him to Seattle in the first place if that were true
Trickster liked this.
Jul. 22, 2023 at 2:05 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Montour was probably a flash in the pan, Dunn is at the age where he should be getting good.

But Florida fans look out since Monty is going to see this and say "Ka-ching"

I agree that Montour isn't a top pair caliber defender, but he's still good. I can see Dunn being maybe a perennial 50-60 point defenseman, but I don't think he's a 70+ point superstar blueliner
Jul. 22, 2023 at 2:17 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
I agree that Montour isn't a top pair caliber defender, but he's still good. I can see Dunn being maybe a perennial 50-60 point defenseman, but I don't think he's a 70+ point superstar blueliner

Sounds a lot like Fowler, though his deals a bit older, he's making 6.5. not vadd defensively, good not great defensively, durable but not physical, and can eat minutes. Does that sound like Dunn?
Jul. 22, 2023 at 2:17 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Sounds a lot like Fowler, though his deals a bit older, he's making 6.5. not vadd defensively, good not great defensively, durable but not physical, and can eat minutes. Does that sound like Dunn?

I'd say Fowler is better defensively than Dunn, but not as gifted offensively

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit