Forums/Armchair-GM

What kind of package is Winnipeg looking for

Created by: jnorrrr
Team: 2023-24 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 7, 2023
Published: Sep. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Michael Russo reported on The Athletic Hockey Show: “Right now it doesn’t look like the Devils and Sabres are willing to pay the incredible assets the Jets are commanding for Hellebuyck”. I’m just trying to get a feel for what that package would be that they’re looking for?
Trades
NJD
  1. Hellebuyck, Connor ($3,000,000 retained)
WPG
  1. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  2. Holtz, Alexander
  3. Vanecek, Vitek
  4. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$78,447,500$422,500$1,382,500$5,052,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,800,000$8,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
UFA - 5
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,166,667$3,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 4
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Who knows really, Marino maybe?

They'll probably keep him as an 'own rental' which would be incredibly stupid but could see it happening.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
RC82
Jets are probably trying to pry Mercer, Nemec or Hughes from them. The price is high now but we shall see come trade deadline how it looks - if jets are too far for a playoff push i'm sure they are able to sell for less so that he doesn't walk for nothing
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
That should get it done
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
There was something floating around in early summer saying Jets wanted Schmid, and that wasn't happening for NJ
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
My guess was something like:

-- WPG ask: Schmid, Filmon, 1st
-- NJD bid: Vanecek, Stillman, 2nd

Total speculation on pieces. Fitzy doesn't lose many trades.
MisstheWhalers and Smitty426 liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
That's an insane price for a rental, and absolutely no interest in paying that $9m Hellebuyck is asking for....I don't think teams are willing to pay anything close to that.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: RC_82
Jets are probably trying to pry Mercer, Nemec or Hughes from them. The price is high now but we shall see come trade deadline how it looks - if jets are too far for a playoff push i'm sure they are able to sell for less so that he doesn't walk for nothing

There is not a world in which any of those players get traded for Hellebuyck
RC_82 liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:31 p.m.
I'm sure the asking price is high. It doesn't hurt to ask right? What the actual price would be is hard to say. It won't be a king's ransom, but it also won't be a collection of pieces the buying team no longer wants or values.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Who knows really, Marino maybe?

They'll probably keep him as an 'own rental' which would be incredibly stupid but could see it happening.

By now Cheveldayoff and Petkau should know what kind of contract the market will offer Hellebuyck in the summer of 2024 for what will be his last contract. I could see Chipman ordering Chevy to pay over the odds in terms of AAV and term to try to convince Hellebuyck to stay.
MisstheWhalers and Windjammer liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
By now Cheveldayoff and Petkau should know what kind of contract the market will offer Hellebuyck in the summer of 2024 for what will be his last contract. I could see Chipman ordering Chevy to pay over the odds in terms of AAV and term to try to convince Hellebuyck to stay.

It’s likely jets maybe overpay on AAV but less term and he stays. No one will pay him the AAV winnipeg would.

Personally I think they need to just cut ties and move on, but I think there’s definitely going to be some owner interference on these two players.
Mr_Canoehead, MisstheWhalers, RationalHockeyFan and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
I'm sure the asking price is high. It doesn't hurt to ask right? What the actual price would be is hard to say. It won't be a king's ransom, but it also won't be a collection of pieces the buying team no longer wants or values.

Maybe things change if one of those teams (or other teams) realize their goaltending plan isn't working in the first two months of the season. It will be fun to watch.
MisstheWhalers and Windjammer liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
RC82
Quoting: pretzelcoatl
There is not a world in which any of those players get traded for Hellebuyck

I am aware, thats why i said the ASK
Sep. 7, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
I am aware, thats why i said the ASK

Why would they ask for that then
Sep. 7, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
RC82
Quoting: pretzelcoatl
Why would they ask for that then

.... it would be the devils inquiring and then the jets saying this is the cost..... i don't get what youre trying to get at.......
Sep. 7, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
Maybe things change if one of those teams (or other teams) realize their goaltending plan isn't working in the first two months of the season. It will be fun to watch.

LA could be one of those teams, what a well built team with a horrible goaltending tandem.
Windjammer and Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
LA could be one of those teams, what a well built team with a horrible goaltending tandem.

Hoping for Columbus and rehab Elvis, change of scenery sillinger and jets love of journeyman physical dman peake.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Birtle34
Hoping for Columbus and rehab Elvis, change of scenery sillinger and jets love of journeyman physical dman peake.

Don't see Cbus as a landing spot for Hellebuyck, to me its only NJ and possibly LA by mid November.
Birtle34 liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
Jets fan here checking in:

The ask for Hellebuyck is simple, and per the Athletic, not even your best assets.

Simon Nemec is your 4th best prospect per Wheeler at the Athletic.

Connor Hellebuyck instantly makes you *the* Stanley Cup Favourite, and the assets returned in the deal should merit that consideration.

Right now, the Jets' roster is *significantly* better than last year's at this time, and last year's roster was 1st in the west in January. That the wheels fell off after that point has a lot to do with why Wheeler isnt with the team anymore, but basically from last year's opening day roster, we've replaced Dubois, Wheeler and a bunch of AHLers with Vilardi, Namestnikov, Niederreiter, Iafallo and Kupari. *On Paper* this is the deepest Jets roster I've seen in a long time, and should absolutely contend in the central.

So, with this in consideration, you're not actually trading for Hellebuyck, you're trading for several million dollars of playoff revenue guaranteed if we keep Hellebuyck. It's obvious that it would be better for the Jets Long-term to trade Hellebuyck, but people need to disabuse themselves of the concept that the Jets are somehow desperate to trade him.
RationalHockeyFan and RC_82 liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Don't see Cbus as a landing spot for Hellebuyck, to me its only NJ and possibly LA by mid November.

Possibly a rental first, with some intriguing prospects and some cap. If it gets to deadline it could possibly throw in a few more teams, depending on injuries and needs. Month away, kind of interesting squad being built with lots of possibly news, but still nothing
Sep. 7, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: mynameisliang_

The ask for Hellebuyck is simple, and per the Athletic, not even your best assets.

Connor Hellebuyck instantly makes you *the* Stanley Cup Favourite, and the assets returned in the deal should merit that consideration.

Right now, the Jets' roster is *significantly* better than last year's at this time, and last year's roster was 1st in the west in January. That the wheels fell off after that point has a lot to do with why Wheeler isnt with the team anymore, but basically from last year's opening day roster, we've replaced Dubois, Wheeler and a bunch of AHLers with Vilardi, Namestnikov, Niederreiter, Iafallo and Kupari. *On Paper* this is the deepest Jets roster I've seen in a long time, and should absolutely contend in the central.

So, with this in consideration, you're not actually trading for Hellebuyck, you're trading for several million dollars of playoff revenue guaranteed if we keep Hellebuyck. It's obvious that it would be better for the Jets Long-term to trade Hellebuyck, but people need to disabuse themselves of the concept that the Jets are somehow desperate to trade him.

Has The Athletic said what the official ask is for Hellebuyck?
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Birtle34
Possibly a rental first, with some intriguing prospects and some cap. If it gets to deadline it could possibly throw in a few more teams, depending on injuries and needs. Month away, kind of interesting squad being built with lots of possibly news, but still nothing

Well the possibility of injuries for some teams could have some teams calling but I've given that some thought and I'm not sure
if it'd really make that much difference in what the return would be.

Like let's say hypothetically the Rangers are having a really good season and Shesterkin suffers a season ending injury a week before the TDL are they gonna offer up say Lafreniere or Schneider for Helle? I suppose anything is possible but something like that seems unlikely imo.

I hope I'm wrong and that Helle is traded for a haul but I just don't see where that's coming from and NJ's GM doesn't lose trades soooo.... 🤷‍♂️
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:23 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Well the possibility of injuries for some teams could have some teams calling but I've given that some thought and I'm not sure
if it'd really make that much difference in what the return would be.

Like let's say hypothetically the Rangers are having a really good season and Shesterkin suffers a season ending injury a week before the TDL are they gonna offer up say Lafreniere or Schneider for Helle? I suppose anything is possible but something like that seems unlikely imo.

I hope I'm wrong and that Helle is traded for a haul but I just don't see where that's coming from and NJ's GM doesn't lose trades soooo.... 🤷‍♂️

Was hoping for a kane/bogosian type trade that brought some decent pieces and a bit of mishmash of everything, starting to think it’s going to be a rental token first, probably 20’s ish, some cap that doesn’t really fit for team acquiring helly, and ahl/junior age prospects. Not sure what else it would be, I guess a kane/bogosian was in season, I don’t know what Vegas has left in young assets to move or cap, but if there’s a adin hill injury or abundance of goalie health again, I’m sure they Will be calling. Always seem to get who they are after.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.

We can contend for the cup next yr then. Helle is just cash at that point. Fitz wont moved Nemec for are not even with your details above
Sep. 7, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
Bedard23

That possibility is out the window

Considering how goaltenders are valued, you might as well that this package
Sep. 7, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.

Simon Nemec is our 2nd best prospect behind Luke Hughes. Even Scott Wheeler agrees.

Numerous reasons I don’t think a Hellebuyck trade to NJ is an option….

1. The Devils GM has held fairly firm on his blue-chip prospects. He offered #2 pick (Nemec) for Matthew Tkachuk. And he made Holtz available for Meier, but Lebrun said it would have been Holtz and only Holtz…so Grier wanted the package instead. Other than those two instances, he has not made any of them available.

2. He has also been clear that he does not want to make big splash trades for rentals. He has other assets to acquire rentals.

3. He has said he doesn’t want to trade goalies mid-season.

4. Hellebuyck has contract demands that we cannot meet.

So anything with Mercer, Luke, Nemec, Holtz, Schmid, etc would be dead-on-arrival. And if he does make a move for a goalie, it would likely come after 2023-24. And it would be for a younger netminder with term.
MisstheWhalers and dgibb10 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll