Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander has to go

Created by: fangm
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 12, 2023
Published: Sep. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This isn't even about Nylander anymore. If the reports from Mirtle are true that they are more than $1M in AAV apart in negotiations at this stage of the game the deal isn't getting made.

I'll assume since his agent is Gross that they strategically picked the no trade list so it would include:
1. Seattle
2. Pittsburgh
3. Washington
4. Carolina
5. New York Islanders
6. New York Rangers
7. Colorado Avalanche
8. Vegas Golden Knights
9. Vancouver Canucks
10. Calgary Flames

Those are the teams that on July 1st had the right mix of cap space and playoff potential that they might consider trading for Nylander even as just a 1 year rental.

So let's assume those teams are out.

The teams that are left that make some sense are:
- Florida
- Tampa
- Detroit
- Ottawa
- Buffalo

But I don't think the Leafs would make this trade within the division. When Nylander scores to eliminate us in the first round Shanahan and Tre would have a public stoning.

- Columbus
- New Jersey
- Edmonton

Nobody else can reasonably make the cap space work or would benefit in any way from the deal if it was a rental, so here are the potential rental trades. I'm using Horvat as the comparable, last year he was traded for a young top 6 forward, 1st and B+ prospect, Nylander is slightly more valuable so I'd say the value is a replacement roster player, 1st and A prospect.
Trades
TOR
  1. Dumais, Jordan
  2. Jenner, Boone
  3. 2025 1st round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Took a higher valued roster player and a lower valued prospect.

Not 100% certaint that Columbus does this but with Gaudreau at 30, Severson at 29, they may feel they need something to show this year before they end up with $16M commited to two guys in they mid 30s who have accomplished nothing with the Blue Jackets.
CBJ
TOR
  1. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  2. Gritsyuk, Arseni [Reserve List]
  3. Palat, Ondrej
  4. 2025 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
There will be debate over the value of Palat. NJ fans' bias aside its a bad contract. It's 3x more than Jankrok for less production. He's 32 and being paid $6M till 36.

That being said he is a playoff performer and even if he ends up being an overpaid 3rd liner we've seen others like Perry, Williams, etc able to make a significant impact into their late 30s even if their regular season play declines.

Two B+ prospects as the Devils don't really have any A prospects, guys like Hughes, Nemec and Holtz are arguably in the A+ category and essentially untouchable, especially for a rental.
NJD
TOR
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. Kane, Evander
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Slightly different structure since Edmonton doesn't have anyone close to Nylander's cap number or any decent prospects.
EDM
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$83,500,000$104,960,617$0$0-$21,460,617
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$891,667$891,667
RW
RFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:16 p.m.
You aren't close on the Edmonton deal. There's no way they give up that much for a rental they can't afford to re-sign.

Kane is a 40 goal scorer being paid just $5M, Foegele is the league's best 3rd liner, plus they've never, ever traded a 1st for a rental let alone two.

There's zero percent chance this happens.
palhal and nashthesecond liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
What this crazy perception that the Leafs have to trade Nylander, just because he may not resign? Just keep him for a Cup run this year and then spend Nylander's cap on another player(s) next season.
CD282 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:19 p.m.
This will be the most interesting trade of the season, he very likely moves out of the division and it happens sooner then people think.
fangm liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: CD282
You aren't close on the Edmonton deal. There's no way they give up that much for a rental they can't afford to re-sign.

Kane is a 40 goal scorer being paid just $5M, Foegele is the league's best 3rd liner, plus they've never, ever traded a 1st for a rental let alone two.

More nuttiness from Leaf fans.. Nylander won't resign, so trade for good assets to another team.......who can't sign him either.
CD282, OldNYIfan, Ausbear17 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
NJ doesn't consider that for a second. There is zero need to trade futures for a rental, especially guys like Gritsyuk and Casey who are super skilled.

Palat blocks the deal.
palhal liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
What this crazy perception that the Leafs have to trade Nylander, just because he may not resign? Just keep him for a Cup run this year and then spend Nylander's cap on another player(s) next season.

If you do this with Nylander then Marner will ask for $13M hold firm and walk in 2 summers. It's about setting expectationss, something every other organization has done but the Leafs haven't.

It's an honour to play in the NHL, its especially an honour to play for a team like the Leafs, if all you care about is money go to Arizona, Winnepeg or some other place where they need to beg players to stay. The Leafs need to stop talking about culture and start setting it from the the top down.

Even Shanahan on $7M/year or Babcock for $6.25M/year was a complete joke.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:40 p.m.
not a he )
Columbus doesn’t even pick up the phone for that.
dk325 and BoomerTheHero liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: fangm
If you do this with Nylander then Marner will ask for $13M hold firm and walk in 2 summers. It's about setting expectationss, something every other organization has done but the Leafs haven't.

It's an honour to play in the NHL, its especially an honour to play for a team like the Leafs, if all you care about is money go to Arizona, Winnepeg or some other place where they need to beg players to stay. The Leafs need to stop talking about culture and start setting it from the the top down.

Even Shanahan on $7M/year or Babcock for $6.25M/year was a complete joke.

I never said anything about the Leafs resigning Nylander....especially if it's a bloated contract. It shouldn't be hard to understand that the Leafs aren't trading Bertuzzi, Domi, Lafferty, Giordano, Brodie, Klingberg, Samsonov and Nylander just because they might not resign.
Just like the other 31 NHL team, few of the upcoming UFAs, will be traded. Probably teams that are not in the playoff hunt will be sellers, and teams "going for it " will actually acquire upcoming UFAs knowing they have little chance of resigning them do to cap reasons.
Why do so many think Nylander is unique?
And by logic you trade Nylander because he won't resign, why would other teams give up good assets for him, knowing he won't be resigning for their team either.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Banned
Definitely no to that New Jersey deal
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:47 p.m.

While I agree Edmonton doesn’t do the deal, Foegele is nowhere near the leagues best 3rd liner
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Fresh Boone Jenner to Toronto proposals are on the grill. Come and get em.
squashmaple and BoomerTheHero liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
While the palat contract is bad he's still a much better player than Jarnkrok. Still 14 goals and 28 points in 35 playoff games the last 2 years. As well as being much better defensively and analytically

Palat hasn't been below 55% xgoals% since 2015, and his teams have been significantly better with him on the ice than off every year
Jarnkrok meanwhile has never been above 51.6%, and his teams have almost always been much better with him off the ice
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
I think the $1 million apart has more to do with length of contract, Nylander may copycat Matthews and take a 3 to 4 year deal, to get another big payday before he is old and less valued.

Considering twinkle berry gave J.T. $11 million, honestly Nylander performance aligns with J.T. at the same career path, so a $10 million Nylander isn't that earth shattering.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:32 p.m.
Impatient

I like Nylander playing out the season. He basically climbed over teammates to score his 40th, imagine how much he'll try to impress to get $10M. Nothing says he doesn't resign next year, except perhaps those who want to trade him to gain cap space to do their own ideas.
palhal liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 11:03 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
It's clear you put thought and effort into this post it's hard to see how people totally chit all over it with one sentence or one word post.

Completely see what the point you want to make is and where you're coming from..

I had the same idea a couple weeks back of the agents strategy to hit the UFA market it's the other reason I suspect that is exactly where Nylander is headed because if that's the desire and attempt from willy and the agent odds are it's what is going to happen

The only small chance is he has a team in mind he's willing to extend with and that's the other small option that they strategize the NTC list toward

The only thing I think you missed is putting the flames on the NTC list because I think that's where all the options for trades are as well

But the whole point that will be lost on most people is nylanders NTC list is not just a bunch of bad teams it's a strategic list that most people wouldn't understand how it would be formed.

Cheers great post
Sep. 12, 2023 at 11:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MaxBorjshlapsky
It's clear you put thought and effort into this post it's hard to see how people totally chit all over it with one sentence or one word post.

Completely see what the point you want to make is and where you're coming from..

I had the same idea a couple weeks back of the agents strategy to hit the UFA market it's the other reason I suspect that is exactly where Nylander is headed because if that's the desire and attempt from willy and the agent odds are it's what is going to happen

The only small chance is he has a team in mind he's willing to extend with and that's the other small option that they strategize the NTC list toward

The only thing I think you missed is putting the flames on the NTC list because I think that's where all the options for trades are as well

But the whole point that will be lost on most people is nylanders NTC list is not just a bunch of bad teams it's a strategic list that most people wouldn't understand how it would be formed.

Cheers great post

Quoting: GolfBall
I like Nylander playing out the season. He basically climbed over teammates to score his 40th, imagine how much he'll try to impress to get $10M. Nothing says he doesn't resign next year, except perhaps those who want to trade him to gain cap space to do their own ideas.

I never said anything about the Leafs resigning Nylander....especially if it's a bloated contract. It shouldn't be hard to understand that the Leafs aren't trading Bertuzzi, Domi, Lafferty, Giordano, Brodie, Klingberg, Samsonov and Nylander just because they might not resign.
Just like the other 31 NHL team, few of the upcoming UFAs, will be traded. Probably teams that are not in the playoff hunt will be sellers, and teams "going for it " will actually acquire upcoming UFAs knowing they have little chance of resigning them do to cap reasons.
Why do so many think Nylander is unique?
And by logic you trade Nylander because he won't resign, why would other teams give up good assets for him, knowing he won't be resigning for their team either.

Another thing the OP seems to understand that others don't is that Nylander is a precedence for Marner.

Nylander has the attitude that he can wait all year and an extension isn't important. If you use him as an own rental then Marner has ZERO reason to sign an extension next summer. He knows the Leafs won't pressure him to accept a trade, sit him, shop him, etc. They will just treat him as an own rental so he can relax and ride the wave to UFA, hear everyone out and make a decision.

The logic behind an own rental isn't flawed but specifically when it comes to the Leafs it feeds into a culture that will continue to give players leverage. At some point they need to say that enough is enough and if you aren't going to sign reasonable deals that help this team win them we will trade you for assets that will.
fangm liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 11:51 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Quoting: NucksExec
Another thing the OP seems to understand that others don't is that Nylander is a precedence for Marner.

Nylander has the attitude that he can wait all year and an extension isn't important. If you use him as an own rental then Marner has ZERO reason to sign an extension next summer. He knows the Leafs won't pressure him to accept a trade, sit him, shop him, etc. They will just treat him as an own rental so he can relax and ride the wave to UFA, hear everyone out and make a decision.

The logic behind an own rental isn't flawed but specifically when it comes to the Leafs it feeds into a culture that will continue to give players leverage. At some point they need to say that enough is enough and if you aren't going to sign reasonable deals that help this team win them we will trade you for assets that will.

I think Matthews signing is a more reasonable example for Marner not Nylander but fair point you are making just don't see Marner following nylanders approach....I'm not going to be shocked either if Nylander signs an extension mid season so we are mostly just speculating about things that still have to unfold....truly not worried about mariners next deal, Matthews stays I don't see how Marner doesn't nylanders the third wheel that we want to stay but he is the sacrifice if needed.
palhal liked this.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 1:09 a.m.

Fogele is not even close to the Leagues best 3rd Liner he isn’t even his divisions best 3rd Liner🤣
Sep. 13, 2023 at 6:13 a.m.
Edited Sep. 13, 2023 at 6:37 a.m.
Quoting: mv21227
While I agree Edmonton doesn’t do the deal, Foegele is nowhere near the leagues best 3rd liner

His scoring rates at 5v5 were as good as Tavares'. He provides stellar 2-way play, and stepped up that side of his game in the playoffs. He's big, fast and physical, and he doesn't need to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to put up 1st line scoring rates. I can't think of a guy who I'd rather have on my third line.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 6:13 a.m.
Edited Sep. 13, 2023 at 6:36 a.m.
Quoting: T0R
Fogele is not even close to the Leagues best 3rd Liner he isn’t even his divisions best 3rd Liner🤣

Who would that be?

If he's not the best he's pretty damn close.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 7:32 a.m.
good grief, they have like a year, settle down
Sep. 13, 2023 at 8:33 a.m.
I didn’t realize a number below 30 and literal 30 are mid 30’s. Canadian school must be so much more advanced than us.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Why even worry about Marner (and all the other UFAs.)? If let's say the Leafs offer or set aside 11.5m for Marner and he won't sign the contract. Why worry? Just spend that 11.5m on other players
Happens all the time in with player.....why is Marner (or Nylander) so unique.
And really what is so special collectively about the three "young" core Matthws/Nylander and Marner. Good/very/good/maybe even great players. And the Leafs are a good/very good team. But one playoff round win shouldn't grant a player on the Leafs immunity from not being resigned.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Why even worry about Marner (and all the other UFAs.)? If let's say the Leafs offer or set aside 11.5m for Marner and he won't sign the contract. Why worry? Just spend that 11.5m on other players
Happens all the time in with player.....why is Marner (or Nylander) so unique.
And really what is so special collectively about the three "young" core Matthws/Nylander and Marner. Good/very/good/maybe even great players. And the Leafs are a good/very good team. But one playoff round win shouldn't grant a player on the Leafs immunity from not being resigned.

So you're saying they should treat Nylander as an internal rental and then use his cap on another player(s) if they can't get a deal done before the summer? I don't disagree with that approach, but lots of fans will see that as "losing him for nothing".
palhal liked this.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So you're saying they should treat Nylander as an internal rental and then use his cap on another player(s) if they can't get a deal done before the summer? I don't disagree with that approach, but lots of fans will see that as "losing him for nothing".

Yep, I see him as an internal rental,....but shouldn't all upcoming UFAs be treated the same way? What's so unique about Nylander?
Yeah...I see so many fans as thinking about "losing for nothing" as selfish/.foolish ":Their" teams signed UFAs for nothing but somehow demand payment for their upcoming UFA(s).
And in just and about all cases, in this case the Islanders are big losers in the transaction.
Wouldn't the Isles be much better off starting in 24/25...keeping the pick, trading Pullock for good assets, keeping or trading the cheaper Wallstrom and then spending that new found cap on a Nylander or another UFA? Yes, the Isles would be marginally better this season, but not in the long run.
Still I ask the question......Have you ever known a Cup Contender allowing a star player to negotiate with his next contract with another team one full year out from his contract expiring? Never happens.
Out of playoff teams should at some time trade their upcoming UFAs....to start the reboot. But playoff teams often acquire upcoming UFAs, with no hope of resigning them for a Cup run.
CD282 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll