SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Oct. 15, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Avs vs Sharks was a 50 minute powerplay in regulation for the Avs but could not solve Blackwood until the final 2 minutes with Georgiev pulled on a 6-on-5 with a double screen and Makar shooting.

Blackwood was insanely good tonight but the rest of the Sharks played like a mediocre AHL team. The possession metrics on this game have to be among the highest over the past few years.

Blackwood put up an early goaltending clinic and it’ll never be remembered due to the loss and it being the Sharks (1am EST game end).

Of course it was a massive screen to end his shutout, something he had no chance on.
Oct. 15, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 15, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: GarthBrooks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4LMYsd2KY&ab_channel=NHL22goalhorns

This was the best leafs goal song should bring it back

Thats CBJ Goal horn now
GarthBrooks liked this.
Oct. 15, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: GarthBrooks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4LMYsd2KY&ab_channel=NHL22goalhorns

This was the best leafs goal song should bring it back

As a 69 year old, life long Leaf fan, my song would be". "I've been waiting for so long."
McGruff liked this.
Oct. 15, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So it seems Canucks are trying to move Garland for a Dman who I guess is making less than 4.95m

As they want cap flexibility.

To me that leaves 2 teams

Nashville and Columbus

Dante Fabbro makes 2.4m and Peeke 2.75m
Oct. 15, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Blackwood put up an early goaltending clinic and it’ll never be remembered due to the loss and it being the Sharks (1am EST game end).

Of course it was a massive screen to end his shutout, something he had no chance on.

It was a weird game; whenever the Sharks crossed the Avs blueline with possession the crowd cheered! Felt like a trap game but the Avs are just relentless killers; feels like it did 2 years ago for the team
Oct. 15, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I feel Sens moving on from Brannstrom is gonna be a big mistake

As man if he goes that right side of their Dcores gonna look very weak
Oct. 15, 2023 at 6:14 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
It was a weird game; whenever the Sharks crossed the Avs blueline with possession the crowd cheered! Felt like a trap game but the Avs are just relentless killers; feels like it did 2 years ago for the team

Avs just played really well.
"According to the NHL, Blackwood’s “51 saves were the most by a goaltender in their debut with a team since 1955-56.” per Sheng Peng

The Sharks didnt play bad but theyre just not a high offence team. Similar to the Vegas game, it was just highlighted by who was the better team. SJS coulda won both games - the VGK if they survived the second peroid (but two quick ones broke them, each KKahkonen needs to just stop). Avs game was just either destined to be a Blackwood MVP or a crippling loss. Turns out to be the latter. I think the game was a positive for them overall. They had plenty of great defensive moments to keep the game 1-0, and Blackwood performed and made some awesome saves. I think despite the loss and pummeling by the Avs OZone time - I think if the team can try to find the positives, it wasn't the worst way to lose.
Oct. 15, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel Sens moving on from Brannstrom is gonna be a big mistake

As man if he goes that right side of their Dcores gonna look very weak

Signing Tarasenko was treated as a need, when it was a want.

The Sens trading Brannstrom is going to hurt them, but trading MJo is going to cost them. It's all a result of improper asset management. And Dorion does so much right, but he always has followed this trend of throwing a wrench into his own plans.
Oct. 15, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 15, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Signing Tarasenko was treated as a need, when it was a want.

The Sens trading Brannstrom is going to hurt them, but trading MJo is going to cost them. It's all a result of improper asset management. And Dorion does so much right, but he always has followed this trend of throwing a wrench into his own plans.

Seems to do a lot of good and bad but when he doesnt something bad its not fine whatever its no you ****ed up bad bad.

Trades for Debrincat 1 year then yeet

Trade for Tablot moving on from Gustavsson

Give Hamonic a NMC

And now no space for Pinto whose gonna also make to much on his next deal

2.5m x 2 years idk about that considering Frost
Oct. 15, 2023 at 11:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
How the TBL didnt take one of Jones or Stalock on waivers still blows my mind lul
Oct. 16, 2023 at 12:30 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Might be viewed as being a risky choice but....

Honestly if the Sens continue to do well without Pinto his leverage is gonna slip by the game

Maybe waiting him out is best.

He may realize **** they dont need me and tell his agent **** it let me sign so I can play

1 year deal in the 1.7m range
Oct. 16, 2023 at 2:51 a.m.
How the TBL didnt take one of Jones or Stalock on waivers still blows my mind lul

Halak and Elliott are still there
Oct. 16, 2023 at 3:04 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Halak and Elliott are still there

Both be the same as Johansen though at least Stalock would be an upgrade or Jones
Oct. 16, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
WentWughes
Hearing that several of the players Carolina tried to send to ECHL-Norfolk refused to report.

Looks like Noel Gunler is returning overseas as this release from Karpat states he'll be there the rest of this season.

What a mess for the Hurricanes org.

What a poverty franchise lmao
Turbo liked this.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Hearing that several of the players Carolina tried to send to ECHL-Norfolk refused to report.

Looks like Noel Gunler is returning overseas as this release from Karpat states he'll be there the rest of this season.

That's not really the Canes fault that the Chicago Wolves decided to cut ties with the Canes and become the AHL's first independent team since 94-95
capsfan2121, Saskleaf, aadoyle and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That's not really the Canes fault that the Chicago Wolves decided to cut ties with the Canes and become the AHL's first independent team since 94-95

Meh, from what I've heard Wolves had good reason to part ways. And supposedly CAR is still being scummy even after getting punted by the Wolves. Rumors I've heard is they've had agreements on loan fees to send players to other franchise's AHL teams (as well as the Wolves) for this season then demanded more money after agreeing on an amount
Oct. 16, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

I think its to late but looking for a city who had an AHL team in the past and whose arena is still there should be contacted and a temporary home should be established

Not their fault Wolves went private but man it sucks. Maybe they can get Quebec to agree on an AHL arena
Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I think its to late but looking for a city who had an AHL team in the past and whose arena is still there should be contacted and a temporary home should be established

Not their fault Wolves went private but man it sucks. Maybe they can get Quebec to agree on an AHL arena

Generally NHL teams prefer their AHL affiliates to be in the same country and closer geographically for logistic reasons.

When the Habs had their AHL team in Newfoundland, it was a huge mess. Now their callups can get to the arena within two train stations.
A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Generally NHL teams prefer their AHL affiliates to be in the same country and closer geographically for logistic reasons.

When the Habs had their AHL team in Newfoundland, it was a huge mess. Now their callups can get to the arena within two train stations.

Yea true thats the issue. But there have been some that have done long distant relations.

Would give Quebec at least something for a little while till something is worked out in Hartford or something idk.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

I mean there's 2 sides to the story. There's a reason the wolves broke off the relationship.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
WentWughes
Jeff Petry a healthy scratch tonight
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Might be viewed as being a risky choice but....

Honestly if the Sens continue to do well without Pinto his leverage is gonna slip by the game

Maybe waiting him out is best.

He may realize **** they dont need me and tell his agent **** it let me sign so I can play

1 year deal in the 1.7m range

One thing Dorion is “lucking” into (or just he’s playing chess and playing well):

Is how well MJo has been playing. He’s basically playing himself into a trade or to stay in Ottawa. He’s been very, very, very good for Ottawa in each game this seasons start.

And it’s going to cause a headache for Pinto and Dorion. Pinto clearly wants to play, but there is no Senator who can replace Brannstrom right now either (at least their D prospects who can crack the lineup did not have good camps/ preseason).

It’s simply a puzzle that keeps getting harder to solve each day. As both Brann and MJo are showing they’re kinda necessary for Ottawas depth success - which is a requirement for Ottawa this year to get over the hump.

Yet at the same time, Pinto can’t be happy being an “afterthought” currently.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Dach out - Habs injury woes again.
Just can't get the 'puck-luck/hawkey gawds shine' to put a healthy group together for a sustained period it seems!
Oct. 16, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
mokumboi
Yes, I know it's not EVERY TML fan... but seriously, folks, that team's base is an absolute clown show. That franchise may never win a Cup again, if only because they exist in such a toxic fishbowl.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/leafs-goal-song-out
Oct. 16, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mokumboi
Yes, I know it's not EVERY TML fan... but seriously, folks, that team's base is an absolute clown show. That franchise may never win a Cup again, if only because they exist in such a toxic fishbowl.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/leafs-goal-song-out

In general its a goal song that the players didnt really seem to like based on their reaction and was probs going anyways. The complaints that they got from other people "cant always assume they just be leafs fans" would make any team reconsider.

Remember when Van fans or Philly fans complained about their goal songs and they got changed. The song was fine just didnt feel like a goal song.

They be testing stuff out rn and it was clear Pursuit of Happiness wasnt favoured. Still wonder what the other 3 themes are.

To me going the FLA, BUF, or WSH direction where you let the players pick their own songs should be the modern way but it is what it is.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll