SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
McDavid playing frustrated is the best thing for the opposing team
HockeyScotty liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:32 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman

JT Miller living rent-free in his head and showing him how a leader puts a team on his back and uses the fire to play better.

McDavid playing like a pissy teenager
Juiceman liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:49 a.m.
Now Woodcroft getting booted only spells "rock bottom" for Edmonton. Someone has to be leaving soon, maybe Woodcroft just kept walking out of the building
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:51 a.m.
and because he's a follower... Nurse has to get into the stupid-act.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:54 a.m.

McJesus needs to hire Nathan MacKinnon's sports psychologist. He kinda acted that way in his first few seasons then figured it out.
Juiceman liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 1:35 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I am dumbfounded. Utterly befuddled with this team and how Campbell and Skinner REFUSE to make a save. They're utterly incapable.

The Oilers are just the Leafs without Woll. Also doesn't help that McDavid looks hurt... I'm sure Skinner will turn things around at the very least. The Oilers are too good to stay this bad
Nov. 7, 2023 at 1:45 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The Oilers are just the Leafs without Woll. Also doesn't help that McDavid looks hurt... I'm sure Skinner will turn things around at the very least. The Oilers are too good to stay this bad

No they look worse. McDavid is visibly frustrated and their stars are not carying

Matthews, JT, Nylander and Marner have all looked great for Toronto

Its mainly the defense thats killing them especially with the injuries along with their 4th line
Nov. 7, 2023 at 8:59 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
No they look worse. McDavid is visibly frustrated and their stars are not carying

Matthews, JT, Nylander and Marner have all looked great for Toronto

Its mainly the defense thats killing them especially with the injuries along with their 4th line

if you sorted the goaltenders by save percentage you have to go to the next page to find sammy and its just him and someone i never heard of lol
Nov. 7, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
The point leader is a Canuck. So is third place.

The assist leader is a Canuck. So is third place.

A Canuck is out scoring Kucherov.

Watch out Auston, Brock comin.
Juiceman and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

No... Leafs are better and Matthews is a god rn
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: GarthBrooks
if you sorted the goaltenders by save percentage you have to go to the next page to find sammy and its just him and someone i never heard of lol

You've never heard of Pheonix Copley or Kotchetkov?
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
The point leader is a Canuck. So is third place.

The assist leader is a Canuck. So is third place.

A Canuck is out scoring Kucherov.

Watch out Auston, Brock comin.

More like the other way around... Matthews is coming for Pettersson and Marner is coming for Hughes/Petey
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Give Demo the Vezina already... The Canucks had no business in that Oilers game
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.
Who should go for Edmonton to send the strongest message to the rest of the team:

Draisatl or Woodcroft?

Everyone else has full NMC protection.

Campbell would just be a scapegoat and not really address the skaters issues.

Ceci/Kulak doesn't move the needle.

The Oilers need a major attention-getting reset. They are quitting on each other and that feels like a sign of pettiness and bad internal leadership (not the same as coaching).
Nov. 7, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
There's no way the Oilers let Brown play a 10th game, right? A cap overage for next season would just add more insult to injury unless things drastically turn around soon,
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:38 p.m.
Bedard23

Now you know how I felt in 2020
Nov. 7, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Who should go for Edmonton to send the strongest message to the rest of the team:

Draisatl or Woodcroft?

Everyone else has full NMC protection.

Campbell would just be a scapegoat and not really address the skaters issues.

Ceci/Kulak doesn't move the needle.

The Oilers need a major attention-getting reset. They are quitting on each other and that feels like a sign of pettiness and bad internal leadership (not the same as coaching).

A lot of their guys got NMC but they still can be moved

Hyman for instance would probs go back to Toronto if they wanted to bring him back

There was no ill will between the 2 sides it was mainly money talked

RNH would garner interest amongst the competitive teams

The one tricky one probs Kane

Moving Draisaitl makes no sense as the return wont equal what he brings. Unless he says im not coming back moving him is a no

EDM ownership should do what Van did and clean house GM down

Holland, Woodcraft, assistant coaches adios
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Campbell on waivers.

Trades the next step.
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: yikes
Campbell on waivers.

Trades the next step.

Really sucks to see this. I wanted him to do well in Edmonton so much, he was such a great presence on the Leafs. When he was on his game, he was so much fun to watch. I know the guy secured 25 mil, but what a horrible situation to be in as an athlete
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
torontos finest
F-WnraMWkAEjJxS.jpg
NorthernLeafsFan05, yikes, sensonfire and 6 others liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
JT Miller living rent-free in his head and showing him how a leader puts a team on his back and uses the fire to play better.

McDavid playing like a pissy teenager

McJesus needs to hire Nathan MacKinnon's sports psychologist. He kinda acted that way in his first few seasons then figured it out.

A little out of left field imo.

I would rather my captain be pissed, both at himself and the entire team than be “okay with what’s happening.”.

It’s not like EDM is just struggling. It’s not like EDM is doing “aight”.

His team is literally only being bested in sucking by the Sharks who literally look like they could care less (and are also tanking). EDM is supposed to, should be, a cup contender. They’ve done nothing relevant in terms of going deep except for one WCF appearance in which they’ve just gone backwards now.

The pacific has been viewed as a joke. But the Oiler are now almost..

20 POINTS BACK OF FIRST in their div, they’re nearly 20 back of 2nd; which they’ve lost 3 times to the Canucks in a goal fest (not close games). They’re double digits behind 3rd. All three (LA, VAN, VGK) are not going to just randomly start tanking unless the gods smite them. Seattle and Anaheim aren’t easy outs.

If Colorado or Vancouver were 2 wins better than the Sharks; I’d sure hope Hughes or Landeskog/ MacKinnon would be pissed.

It’s pretty simple; you can’t make the playoffs in the first 20 games… but you sure can make yourself miss.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
Campbell on waivers.

Trades the next step.

Its for assignment so they probs want to get him back in the groove which is smart. When he struggled here we gave him 2 weeks off and he came back much better

Maybe some time in the AHL will do him some good and he will come back stronger.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
https://x.com/frank_seravalli/status/1721969098572038424?s=20

Only makes sense to replace one former Leaf with another
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
Its for assignment so they probs want to get him back in the groove which is smart. When he struggled here we gave him 2 weeks off and he came back much better

Maybe some time in the AHL will do him some good and he will come back stronger.

I don’t mean this to come across egotistical so if it does put me in my place anyone haha. I just like talking on these interesting topics.

Personally; I don’t see EDM winning, or doing much relevant towards winning a cup with Campbell in net unless he gets incredibly hot. And stays hot; which is just as likely as the norm staying where it is currently. If anything it’s more like 70% things stay the same, 25% chance there’s some improvement, 5% he leads them to a cup with their current cap structure. They have near 9m in net, when you have teams like NSH, TOR, COL, VGK as four easily examples of equal to or much less net. Yet they’re all way better. Saros is a hart guy, Woll has potential, COL is stable (room for improvement but stable and quality), VGK have 3 legit contenders for starting.

Skinner has potential but he’s never been truly consistent, Campbell isn’t consistent or stable. EDM needs stability. Like @BeterChiarelli said earlier. Mike Smith had his own goalie coach, but Smith also had a lot of positives despite his colourful performances at times. He wasn’t a hart winner, but imo he provided more stability than EDMs realized (till now). He was someone you could get behind despite his flaws.

Campbell has that same quality and so does Skinner. But The issue comes from EDM needs help in net, defence and offence. You can’t trade Nurse, you can’t move any other money without it being a good player. Campbell is the only option as he:

Has NOT provided stability
Is expensive
Is more expensive then Skinner
Has a long term
You have to turn this ship around

In my opinion; if EDM waits till the summer to buyout Campbell.. it’s not going to get any sunnier in EDM.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
The same guy that's been here since 2013!!!

Alright the fact that the Oilers goalie coach has been around for 10 years has been living rent free in my mind all day. He's been around since McTavish was GM and Eakins was coach. I could understand if he was a really good coach but considering Edmonton has struggled at this position through his entire tenure and their one good goalie had his own coach, it really seems ludicrous. Does this guy have some really solid dirt on Daryl Katz or Kevin Lowe or something?
yikes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll