SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Nov. 22, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: ricochetii
Look at the OEL trade for a fairly recent comparable.

3 cap dumps (1 year term)
for
OEL (long term) and Garland (RFA)

It cost them a 1st, 2nd, and 7th.
Garland was a positive asset but OEL was one of the worst contracts in the league.

Edmonton is trying to unload players with multiple years of term.
Montreal doesn't have a contract as bad as OEL's to offset some of that (Gallagher and Anderson have lower cap hits at half the term).
Edmonton isn't looking for a piece as valuable as Garland may have been at the time (young RFA on a 60 point pace), so that helps.
However, they aren't bargaining from a position of strength (putting it lightly), which does not help.
They also aren't moving pure "cap dumps" aside from Campbell, so they may get some credit in a deal if the other team can actually make good use of those players. (Hint: that's not Montreal)

ROUGHLY estimating in comparison:

Campbell's contract alone is worse than the 3 cap dumps by Vancouver. (Totals are $12M x 1 year vs $5M x 3 years, and that's not counting this season.)
The worst contract Montreal can offer is Gallagher (highest value and term) and the best asset they can give back is Montembeault (young RFA).

That would put the starting point around Campbell + 1st + 2nd for Gallagher + Montembeault, which doesn't account for everything in the ARZ/VAN trade comparison.

As a fan I might be convinced to make that deal from either side anyway, but I don't think many would agree.

I would figure the OEL comparison works better if Edmonton takes the position of taking on three bad one-year deals today, however that becomes incredibly problematic when you consider the only RFA of any real value Edmonton has is Bouchard. That's a move that cannot be made by Edmonton without the total commitment to resetting the franchise: where else are they going to find an 80-point pace RHD?
Nov. 22, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I guess something around Jensen + but hes 33.

Honestly the Avs Spark me as another considering they got 5 good Dman and something around Girard could be interesting. Especially if say Landeskog's Knee is bad enough to where he may be done

I think the Avs keep Girard and are now trying to see Bo Byram step up as an everyday #2 RD (his offhand). If he continues to struggle then the Avs might consider selling high on Bo but they would need a RD in return and Oilers don't really have one that they would value.

RNH as a 2C would be interesting for sure but Avs won't create a hole on the backend
Nov. 22, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I would figure the OEL comparison works better if Edmonton takes the position of taking on three bad one-year deals today, however that becomes incredibly problematic when you consider the only RFA of any real value Edmonton has is Bouchard. That's a move that cannot be made by Edmonton without the total commitment to resetting the franchise: where else are they going to find an 80-point pace RHD?

I've seen Bouchard being suggested in trades, don't see Edmonton moving him. Same for Skinner.
The players they actually want to move aren't going to be too easy to ship out.
I'm expecting them to do something by December 6th at the latest. They get a few days off after the 30th.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
Bedard23
My thoughts on the winter classic jerseys:

Vegas: Great jersey, it’s pretty hard to mess up a Golden Knight’s jersey and thankfully, they didn’t do that, I like what they did with the logo with the two swords forming a V, looks clean

Seattle: I liked the jersey until I saw that giant red S as the logo, it just looks wrong there

Vegas: A-

Seattle: D+
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Ban Price trades
My god this is going to be a bloodbath.
ricochetii liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Didn’t know Zach benson was like that
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
torontos finest
how do you, as darryl katz, not fire literally everyone in edmonton after this game?
capsfan2121, BeterChiarelli, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
how do you, as darryl katz, not fire literally everyone in edmonton after this game?

You could ask the same about whoever owns the CBJ

But yea this is bad lul
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly for EDM sake its time for Holland to go

As the man's up this year and if you want him to fix this idk if it wise

Sure a man whose fighting for his job could yes make some incredible moved but also could make some terrible ones to

Cause if you dont the best player in the NHL might soon say **** this **** I want out along with his sidekick Draisaitl

Now I do think exploring Halak as an option for backup could be interesting but I dont think he is gonna solve this issue
Nov. 22, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: capsfan2121
Didn’t know Zach benson was like that

He’s who I would’ve taken during the draft if I was Washington, but I still wouldn’t complain about Ryan Leonard
capsfan2121 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: IconicHawk
He’s who I would’ve taken during the draft if I was Washington, but I still wouldn’t complain about Ryan Leonard

I wanted him or Leonard. Or if michkov was still available but still very happy with Leonard
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:30 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: mondo

Somebody needs to do something. It's spiraling. The goaltender has no confidence and is operating without a parachute. The players don't have faith in each other. The coach has no relationship with anybody yet. Who does everyone turn to when nobody has the answers? What a mess.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Somebody needs to do something. It's spiraling. The goaltender has no confidence and is operating without a parachute. The players don't have faith in each other. The coach has no relationship with anybody yet. Who does everyone turn to when nobody has the answers? What a mess.

The thing is do you trust the guy whose contract is up this summer to make the right moves

This is on Ownership now
BeterChiarelli and ricochetii liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.
Ban Price trades
The thing is do you trust the guy whose contract is up this summer to make the right moves

This is on Ownership now

I'm very excited to see which grifter the Oilers hire next. Nicholson into Holland into ???
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
Bedard23
Ok what the **** happened?
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'm very excited to see which grifter the Oilers hire next. Nicholson into Holland into ???

If im EDM I look to hire Eric Tulsky from the Canes

That guy deserves to be a GM

As hes the brains behind the Canes.

The other guy is former Sharks GM Doug Wilson
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
Go Habs Go

This is on Ownership now

Not at all. He should have been gone when he suggested replacing Woodcroft with a guy with no NHL head coach experience.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
Ban Price trades
If im EDM I look to hire Eric Tulsky from the Canes

That guy deserves to be a GM

As hes the brains behind the Canes.

He's my preference but it won't happen. This franchise won't start making intelligent decisions until everything top-down is overhauled, and the optics on firing Jackson (and by extension Knoblauch) look dismal. It's Jackson's team until he takes the mantle of being the man that had to trade Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.
yikes liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:53 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Not at all. He should have been gone when he suggested replacing Woodcroft with a guy with no NHL head coach experience.

Holland had no say on that move for what it's worth. That came from Jeff Jackson.
ricochetii liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:53 p.m.
Who says no to a 1 for 1

Draisaitl for Nylander

Pretend the cap works if it doesn’t and that players will extend for market rates.

I think drai is better but you get more control with nylander and he’s also amazing and young.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Holland had no say on that move for what it's worth. That came from Jeff Jackson.

That's a whole other can of worms. (Are we witnessing the genesis of a new old boys' club?)
Still. I didn't notice Holland supporting his coach or stepping in and trying to give Woodcroft better tools (though perhaps a more avid follower did?).
Nov. 22, 2023 at 9:06 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
oilers suck holy
Nov. 22, 2023 at 9:16 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
oh look the Blue Jackets are fine again... Shocker
Nov. 22, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: zk97
oilers suck holy

Need some real leadership on that team, I know Marc Staal is available. A true mentor and leader, Flyers would even take a scrub back like McDavid
zk97 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
My god this is going to be a bloodbath.

I watched from like the 1st Canes goal to the end of the 1st period, yikes the Oilers look bad, they look lazy and uninspired, how Ken Holland still has a job is beyond me

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll