SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Samuel Montembeault (3 Years / $3,150,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: jpsnow13
I totally disagree. Maybe Georgiev but damn the defense playing in front of him can't be compared to MTL....

Nah georgiev has been much better and takes on a MASSIVE workload.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: Blazingbat11
But he wasn’t given starter money… this is literally market value for a backup….

Uhh no it's not. For a solid tandem goalie maybe. but that's way too much for a backup.
SydBarrett and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
Why Green
I'd say that's too much for Monty.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
Syd Barret
That' s a lot of money for a goalie that has been very bad for three seasons and is finally playing decent this year. But good for him. Wish my job would give me 10 mil for being below average lol
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Edited Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
I've been tracking goalie contracts and deployment for a few years now.

For 2023 the Avg Cap Hit per Start = $88,758

For reference, I have found a range like this seems to hold fairly true for deployment (major injuries aside):
Workhorse Goalie = 59-72 starts (80% start rate or 4 out of 5 games)
1A = 47-58 starts (65% start rate or 2 out of 3 games)
Tandem = 36-46 starts (50% start rate; every other or "hot hand" rotation that evens out)
1B = 24-35 starts (35% start rate or 1 out of 3 games)
Backup = 10-23 starts (20% start rate or 1 out of 5 games)
Spot Duty/Call-up = 1-9 starts (injury fill-in from AHL, rookies on ELC slide, or the "old school" backup that only played in B2B games)

Cap inflation next year is expected to be around 5%; thus projecting a $93,542 figure (the actual will be less since many AAV's carryover; but the UFA/RFA's are unkown)

This means the $3,150,000 contract is roughly "average price" for 34 starts per year; thus an above average 1B goalie.

Another way of looking at is the Habs committed 41% of an average team's goalie budget to Montembeault.

In that sense this seems perfectly fine. The question for Montreal (a team coming off one of the most expensive goalie contracts ever) is are they trying to lowball the position (Avs, Kings, Coyotes) due to lots of pending RFA deals; or do they see someone else as their 1A long term (Primeau, Fowler ?).

The good thing about this deal is they have flexibility either way (and with lack of NMC/NTC).
worldwidesensei, OldNYIfan, MountRoyal and 5 others liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Jay27
Quoting: dgibb10
Good contract. I question how he'll hold up given his lack of pedigree (didn't really show anything until age 26), but he's worth this

Timmy Thomas was 31 the first year he started in Boston. Goalies are a different breed.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
Uhh no it's not. For a solid tandem goalie maybe. but that's way too much for a backup.

I think we have to "redefine" what a backup is. See my post above
worldwidesensei liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
Jay27
Quoting: SydBarrett
That' s a lot of money for a goalie that has been very bad for three seasons and is finally playing decent this year. But good for him. Wish my job would give me 10 mil for being below average lol

Top 10 on goals saved above expected last year playing behind a rookie defence. Don’t just look at save%, GAA and call it a day.
KSIxSKULLS, Andy_Dick and CBA liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.
Jay27
More than fair. The team plays better when he’s in net, shows they have confidence in Monty.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
The other thing I like about Montreal is their Goalie succession planning:

Not counting the current season:
Jake Allen - 33 years old, 1 year remaining (limited 3 team NTC 2024-25)
Sam Montembeault - 27 years old, 3 years remaining
Cayden Primeau - 24 years old, 1 year remaining
Jacob Fowler - 19 years old, (ELC pending)
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Currently has the best 5v5 saves above expected in the league. Great signing by Hughes and Co.

Expected value was 3.5-3.75

Where’d you see he was 1st in 5v5 GSAx? According to Evolving Hockey he’s 8th and according to Moneypuck he’s 7th
CBA liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Jay27
Timmy Thomas was 31 the first year he started in Boston. Goalies are a different breed.

Fair but there are very few examples of goalies who don't show anything till they're 26 and then become sustainable options. And just from looking at the numbers Timmy was pretty great everywhere coming up.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: turtlemountain
Georgiev is a starter in Colorado and has been solid there.

Gustavson signed that contract coming off of a Vezina caliber season.

Vanacek I think was pretty highly regarded after leaving Washington. It’s been a minute though so I can’t really comment on that one.

Obviously the team in front of you matters, but this feels a bit rich for Monty.

Georgiev was a backup when he signed his contract. Also he has the best Dcore of the league playing in front of him.

Gustavson didn't have a Vezina caliber season since, you know... he wasnt a Vezina finalist duh (btw, he got ZERO vote LOL) Also, everybody knew he was playing over his head...

Vanecek was so high regarded in Washington that they traded him away for a 3rd round pick and signed an UFA instead of giving him 3x$3.5M?!?! Damn, I can't imagine what they would have done if they DIDNT like him!

Obviously, you would say anything to fit your narative.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I think we have to "redefine" what a backup is. See my post above

I think you're overcomplicating it a bit. I don't think that's how orgs look at goalies at all.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: CBA
I voted no but predicted 3X3.2M
I don’t think he is a starter

Just by the eye test he's been unbelievable all year especially since the Vegas game in October. Then you add the best 5v5 GSAx goalie in the league this season. Top5 since the halfway part of last season.

The Habs should be a bottom 5 team but this guy keeps them in so many games!

Quoting: Tonir87
Sounds a lot for goalie who had only one season under 3GAA in AHL and NHL lvl. All other 5 seasons are over 3GAA. This year is just started so too early to comment on that. Only time when he got below 3GAA was 20-21 season in AHL where he played only 13 game.

Spoken like someone that has never watched the guy play. He was hurt mostly in 2021-22 with a wrist injury that affected his glove hand and played because the Habs had no options to replace him. Goalies always mature in their mid 20s.

Quoting: turtlemountain
Georgiev is a starter in Colorado and has been solid there.

Gustavson signed that contract coming off of a Vezina caliber season.

Vanacek I think was pretty highly regarded after leaving Washington. It’s been a minute though so I can’t really comment on that one.

Obviously the team in front of you matters, but this feels a bit rich for Monty.

Mr. False Equivalency strikes again
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
Banned
Georgiev was a backup when he signed his contract. Also he has the best Dcore of the league playing in front of him.

Gustavson didn't have a Vezina caliber season since, you know... he wasnt a Vezina finalist duh (btw, he got ZERO vote LOL) Also, everybody knew he was playing over his head...

Vanecek was so high regarded in Washington that they traded him away for a 3rd round pick and signed an UFA instead of giving him 3x$3.5M?!?! Damn, I can't imagine what they would have done if they DIDNT like him!

To think that outside the top 5 starting goalies in the league. Anyone to think goaltending isnt a systems issue, really needs to evaluate their hockey IQ.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
I think you're overcomplicating it a bit. I don't think that's how orgs look at goalies at all.

I tend to do that in most things. squinty smile

But my research is based on observations, coach and GM interviews, detailed scheduling analysis and goalie start patterns amongst teams for multiple seasons.
Andy_Dick and drambui liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Good deal for a 1B goalie. He’s played real solid past couple seasons for the habs.
drambui liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.

For reference, I have found a range like this seems to hold fairly true for deployment (major injuries aside):
Workhorse Goalie = 59-72 starts (80% start rate or 4 out of 5 games)
1A = 47-58 starts (65% start rate or 2 out of 3 games)
Tandem = 36-46 starts (50% start rate; every other or "hot hand" rotation that evens out)
1B = 24-35 starts (35% start rate or 1 out of 3 games)
Backup = 10-23 starts (20% start rate or 1 out of 5 games)
Spot Duty/Call-up = 1-9 starts (injury fill-in from AHL, rookies on ELC slide, or the "old school" backup that only played in B2B games)

Thank you. Someone who understands the meaning of words. I hear starter, backup, 1A, 1B thrown around way too often.

I prefer 60-game starter, 50-game starter, 40-game starter, 20-game starter, etc....but you have encapsulated this well.

And kudos for including inflation. People see tomorrow's prices today and they freak out.

It's a great deal, as long as his play holds up, even better if he performs better.
OldNYIfan, HockeyScotty, turtlemountain and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Edited Dec. 1, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.. Reason: corrected typo
Seems like a little too much for Montambeault, but my opinion may be colored by having been an innocent but too-close bystander to two of the more spectacular failures of guys (Jack Campbell, Cal Petersen) who played better than Monty before signing big contracts but then . . .
Dec. 1, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
Stovetop
I tend to do that in most things. squinty smile

But my research is based on observations, coach and GM interviews, detailed scheduling analysis and goalie start patterns amongst teams for multiple seasons.

The thing is it can change on a dime when a "starting" goalie struggles, or when a "backup" gets hot. Like now Swayman is debatable their #1 guy when going into the season he would have been categorized as a 1b behind Ullmark
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
The thing is it can change on a dime when a "starting" goalie struggles, or when a "backup" gets hot. Like now Swayman is debatable their #1 guy when going into the season he would have been categorized as a 1b behind Ullmark

For sure but you "buy" a guy based on expectations.

Ullmark-Swayman fit the "Tandem" category since pre season and what the coach/GM said and haven't changed at all. In fact it is a near "perfect" split.

LAK started as Tandem and then 1A/1B and maybe even going into Workhorse/Backup soon.
worldwidesensei and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.

What I mean is that Swayman was never what I categorize as a "Backup"; hence why I suggest the term get better defined; it makes it seem like he is on the same goalie start expectation as Anthony Stolarz or Kevin Lankinen.
worldwidesensei liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.

What I'm saying is that Montembeault is going to (in theory) be a tandem goalie and you're comparing him to starters.

Georgiev was backing up Shesterkin, the reigning Vezina winner. Avs traded for him with the hopes of putting him behind a good defense and playing him a starter's workload. I agree, that was a trade with a good bit of risk! But he was signed with the intent to carry his own net, not to be a tandem or a 1A/1B guy.

Gustavsson didn't get Vezina votes because he only played 39 games after taking over the starter role late season. But by every metric (whether you prefer raw save %, xG-style models, whatever) has Gustavsson's 2022-2023 season as a top 5 goalie in the league, up there with Ullmark/Sorokin/etc. Any other interpretation is disingenuous. That said, he looks like **** this season lmao.

And like I said: it's been a minute since Vanacek was on the market. But the dude was an RFA and got a 3rd + and moving up a few picks in the 2nd & the Capitals were already moving ahead with Kuemper (the top FA goalie in that class). Trade at the time was considered great value for NJ and Capitals were already shifting another direction.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: Andy_Dick

Mr. False Equivalency strikes again

Continuing to live up to your name again! Nice to see you, hope all is well!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit