Deadline

Created by: fckmattcooke
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 21, 2023
Published: Dec. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
COL
  1. Dickinson, Jason ($1,325,000 retained)
CHI
CGY
  1. MacDermid, Kurtis
  2. Olausson, Oskar
  3. Ranta, Sampo [Reserve List]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
MTL
  1. Beaucage, Alex
  2. Jones, Caleb
  3. 2026 3rd round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,175,417$637,500$0$324,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$896,250$896,250
RW
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,325,000$1,325,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 21, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
That won't get you Lindholm
Dec. 21, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
Edited Dec. 21, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
First things first I hope Dickinson gets extended but if he doesn't I hope there's a better offer for him.
Hawksguy81, Garak and YeahRighttt liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
No from Hawks. Not even close.
Hawksguy81, JK74, Garak and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: JK74
First things first I hope Dickinson gets extended by if he doesn't I hope there's a better offer for him.

Quoting: klassic
No from Hawks. Not even close.

Behrens is a solid prospect and if Nazer isn't ready to make the jump then RyJo would be a fine stopgap 2C for them no? IMO for a depth center (though I do like Dickinson) this is probably an overpayment. I would say replace Behrens with Foudy for Olausson and it's closer to fair
Anus_McLeod, TJTwolf and JK74 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Behrens is a solid prospect and if Nazer isn't ready to make the jump then RyJo would be a fine stopgap 2C for them no? IMO for a depth center (though I do like Dickinson) this is probably an overpayment. I would say replace Behrens with Foudy for Olausson and it's closer to fair

I'm a little surprised with how much Hawks fans dislike this. Behrens would be a nice get for them. Not bad for Dickinson imo.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
Hawks decline. Behrens is a good prospect, but doesn't fill a need for the Hawks. Hawks already have 6 left shot D they like a lot - three of them are manning the left side in Chicago already. Behrens just adds to that logjam. And Ryjo, even at $4m, is closer to a cap dump than an asset in a trade. I wouldn't be shocked if Dickinson @ 50% retained returns a 2nd in a trade. Ryjo isn't worth close to a 2nd.
Garak, JK74 and YeahRighttt liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
I'm a little surprised with how much Hawks fans dislike this. Behrens would be a nice get for them. Not bad for Dickinson imo.

Behrens doesn't fill a need for the Hawks. Their deepest organizational position is LD. Last thing they'd trade for is another young LD.
Garak, Anus_McLeod, JK74 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod

My guess is it's need. Hawks are pretty stacked at LD prospects
TJTwolf, Garak, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
Edited Dec. 21, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
My guess is it's need. Hawks are pretty stacked at LD prospects

Yep. Nailed it. We do not need LD. Plus, CHI has made it fairly clear they are averse to undersized defensemen. Also, to a team like CHI, RyJo is not interesting, and would likely be considered nothing more than "taking on cap." Which COL would need to pay heavily for. Overall this just isn't the kind of package CHI would likely be looking for. Even at face value, they aren't going to retain on him for something like this.
JK74 and YeahRighttt liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
I don't think you'd need to add much to the Lindholm trade, but what you've got isn't quite there. The Bo Horvat trade is an easy comparable (good prospect, roster player, 1st round pick). Olosson is a good prospect, but Calgary is in good shape with young forwards and I think he'd have a tough time breaking through. Unlike the Blackhawks, the Flames need defense prospects, so Behrens or Gulyayev would move the needle a bit more. After that, MacDermid and Ranta don't really add any value, especially with Ranta going back to Europe this year.

Assuming the Blackhawks trade doesn't happen, the Flames could take Ryan Johansen back, or retain half of Lindholm's salary.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 8:10 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
Yep. Nailed it. We do not need LD. Plus, CHI has made it fairly clear they are averse to undersized defensemen. Also, to a team like CHI, RyJo is not interesting, and would likely be considered nothing more than "taking on cap." Which is something COL would have to pay for. Overall this just isn't the kind of package CHI would likely be looking for. Even at face value, they aren't going to retain on him for something like this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
Yep. Nailed it. We do not need LD. Plus, CHI has made it fairly clear they are averse to undersized defensemen. Also, to a team like CHI, RyJo is not interesting, and would likely be considered nothing more than "taking on cap." Which COL would need to pay heavily for. Overall this just isn't the kind of package CHI would likely be looking for. Even at face value, they aren't going to retain on him for something like this.

Don't get me wrong Avs fans are shipping RyJo to Calgary all day too and we don't need him either. He's more of a burden than a pleasure. But I would be willing to take him on to get a better return. Unlike Chicago though defensemen is definitely something the Flames would be looking to add
Garak liked this.
Dec. 21, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
You want Lindholm it'll take Ritchie and your 2024 1st to get talks started.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 7:09 a.m.
Don't get me wrong Avs fans are shipping RyJo to Calgary all day too and we don't need him either. He's more of a burden than a pleasure. But I would be willing to take him on to get a better return. Unlike Chicago though defensemen is definitely something the Flames would be looking to add

You'd be willing to take on an $4M cap hit for two years and over $6m in total salary just to facilitate a trade? I guess it depends on what you are getting in the trade, but I feel like you'd be lowballing yourself in that negotiation. If RyJo were playing well, I might see him a bit differently, but he has been in decline for a while now, and doesn't look like he is going to bounce back. Dickinson, between his cap hit, rental status, and recent level of play, is a great TDL trade chip that could actually bring helpful assets in without having to compromise.

Behrens may be a pretty good prospect but he isn't worth as much as some people seem to think. Prospect values start to depreciate as soon as they are drafted and that clock starts ticking, unless they show exceptional improvements. The next time they might find a jump in value is when proven at the NHL level. He was a mid to late 2nd round pick to begin with, he is undersized, and he has been decent (not great) in his college career. He really isn't worth all that much right now to any team, but, as we've already discussed, especially not to a team who has no need for LHD. He is MAYBE worth the pick he was taken with, but considering Dickinson's face value, the retention, and taking back RyJo's contract, it just isn't even close.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 7:38 a.m.
You'd be willing to take on an $4M cap hit for two years and over $6m in total salary just to facilitate a trade? I guess it depends on what you are getting in the trade, but I feel like you'd be lowballing yourself in that negotiation. If RyJo were playing well, I might see him a bit differently, but he has been in decline for a while now, and doesn't look like he is going to bounce back. Dickinson, between his cap hit, rental status, and recent level of play, is a great TDL trade chip that could actually bring helpful assets in without having to compromise.

Behrens may be a pretty good prospect but he isn't worth as much as some people seem to think. Prospect values start to depreciate as soon as they are drafted and that clock starts ticking, unless they show exceptional improvements. The next time they might find a jump in value is when proven at the NHL level. He was a mid to late 2nd round pick to begin with, he is undersized, and he has been decent (not great) in his college career. He really isn't worth all that much right now to any team, but, as we've already discussed, especially not to a team who has no need for LHD. He is MAYBE worth the pick he was taken with, but considering Dickinson's face value, the retention, and taking back RyJo's contract, it just isn't even close.

I mean it's 1 year and 2 months. He's owed another 4M in actual money next year and will be owed ~1M by the deadline. The way I view it is the only way Colorado would trade for Lindholm is if they can afford his extension. If they can't afford that extension because of RyJo then I could live with taking him on as long as Calgary is compensated appropriately. I would prefer not to have a forward slot blocked by another aging contract but it's only 1 year and Calgary is probably looking at at least a 2 year rebuild/retool (whatever "re" word you want to use) here. Best case he can be flipped next year at the deadline with retention for another pick. Worst case he blocks the aforementioned roster spot, but as a center we really don't have anyone jumping to take a role atm. Most likely case we would ride out the deal for the year and then he walks.

As for Behrens, I think he's a fine prospect, probably worth about a mid 2nd. He looks promising but not off the charts or anything. I totally respect your view on the trade here though. I agree, at least for Chicago it's not a fit at all positionally.
Garak liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 8:31 a.m.
I mean it's 1 year and 2 months. He's owed another 4M in actual money next year and will be owed ~1M by the deadline. The way I view it is the only way Colorado would trade for Lindholm is if they can afford his extension. If they can't afford that extension because of RyJo then I could live with taking him on as long as Calgary is compensated appropriately. I would prefer not to have a forward slot blocked by another aging contract but it's only 1 year and Calgary is probably looking at at least a 2 year rebuild/retool (whatever "re" word you want to use) here. Best case he can be flipped next year at the deadline with retention for another pick. Worst case he blocks the aforementioned roster spot, but as a center we really don't have anyone jumping to take a role atm. Most likely case we would ride out the deal for the year and then he walks.

As for Behrens, I think he's a fine prospect, probably worth about a mid 2nd. He looks promising but not off the charts or anything. I totally respect your view on the trade here though. I agree, at least for Chicago it's not a fit at all positionally.

Yeah. Definitely, gotta be compensated properly. Doing things as a favor just shouldn't happen. There is no worth while loyalty or value gained from scratching another GM's back, outside of relationship building. But even that has to come within reason. You can't be a pushover.

Also, yeah, at face value, Behrens is maybe worth enough to get Dickinson with retention, but if CHI doesn't have a need, he isn't worth anything to them, unless there is a third party waiting in the wings ready to give us a 2nd for him immediately. Throwing RyJo's contract on changes the whole equation, though.
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Colorado counter offer is Dickinson (1/2 retained) + worst 2nd round pick the Hawks hold for Colorado 1st and RyJo. Behrens is just a terrible fit given what the Hawks have in LHD prospects. Vlassic looks very promising this year at the NHL level and Korchinski's pedigree has you thinking 2/3rd of your LHD are set for a decade with 4 or 5 other fairly high end prospects battling out for the 3rd spot and a couple working off hand just so they have a slot to play into at the NHL level.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll