SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Jan. 14 at 3:12 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: McGruff
General interest question to the CF Forum Brainiac's!:
WASH signed UFA "Max Paches" last summer BUT he was injured and all parties knew he was not going to start the season.
* Does WASH begin paying him some contract salary (or disability $) when the season officially started OR are they able to wait until he heals and begins in-house rehab or playing?
Cheers

His contract was likely not insured but Washington was willing to foot the bill.
They also split $2M In performance bonuses based on games played to cover themselves.
If they wait until he's recovered, it's uncertain he still signs there and the player receives less money as salary is pro-rated.

Bear is an example of signing after recovery. He'll only receive a portion of this season's salary (I didn't do the math, but closer to $1M than the $1.375M shown).
Pacioretty however, will receive the full $2M base salary. (Performance bonuses begin at 10 games played.)
McGruff liked this.
Jan. 14 at 3:25 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: ricochetii
His contract was likely not insured but Washington was willing to foot the bill.
They also split $2M In performance bonuses based on games played to cover themselves.
If they wait until he's recovered, it's uncertain he still signs there and the player receives less money as salary is pro-rated.

Bear is an example of signing after recovery. He'll only receive a portion of this season's salary (I didn't do the math, but closer to $1M than the $1.375M shown).
Pacioretty however, will receive the full $2M base salary. (Performance bonuses begin at 10 games played.)

Thanks, good examples too!
applaud
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 14 at 4:10 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Same reason. He grabbed a stick and flopped.

But that's the behaviour the NHL encourages McDavid to do to get the PP... Same thing with Draisaitl...

Whereas a guy like Bunting last year/Mack in general wouldn't get that type of treatment...
Jan. 14 at 8:48 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I need a Zegras Torts collab so bad
Jan. 14 at 8:52 p.m.
ASG skills competition (first 10 in are below)

David Pastrnak
Nathan MacKinnon
Leon Draisaitl
Connor McDavid
Jack Hughes
Nikita Kucherov
Auston Matthews
William Nylander
Elias Pettersson
Cale Makar

Two more to be voted in (and Jack may be replaced) I’d vote Quinn Hughes and Sidney Crosby.

It sounds like it will be pretty fun this year with 12 guys competing across all events, decathlon style.

(Is Boone Jenner related to Bruce Jenner?)

Who would you all add?
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 14 at 9:55 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: NHLfan10506
ASG skills competition (first 10 in are below)

David Pastrnak
Nathan MacKinnon
Leon Draisaitl
Connor McDavid
Jack Hughes
Nikita Kucherov
Auston Matthews
William Nylander
Elias Pettersson
Cale Makar

Two more to be voted in (and Jack may be replaced) I’d vote Quinn Hughes and Sidney Crosby.

It sounds like it will be pretty fun this year with 12 guys competing across all events, decathlon style.

(Is Boone Jenner related to Bruce Jenner?)

Who would you all add?

I'm not sure about who's included, as I haven't put any thought into it, but I want the top players in each aspect regardless of whether they are superstars, for the skills competition.

Who actually has the hardest shot in the NHL? For example.
Not who has the hardest shot out of this select group.

Each team should run these drills with some evaluators and submit their best candidate for each competition. I know they used to hold internal competitions, I'm suggesting a return to that with an improvement.
Evaluators pick the best among them to participate in the skills competition. If there's a 7th defense or 14th forward capable of a 110mph shot, I want to see it. I don't care if it's Makar or Vlasic shooting it.
Kupari apparently has wheels but we won't see it because he's not an all star. Gudas has the hardest tracked shot so far this season.
Saskleaf and HockeyScotty liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
I'm not sure about who's included, as I haven't put any thought into it, but I want the top players in each aspect regardless of whether they are superstars, for the skills competition.

Who actually has the hardest shot in the NHL? For example.
Not who has the hardest shot out of this select group.

Each team should run these drills with some evaluators and submit their best candidate for each competition. I know they used to hold internal competitions, I'm suggesting a return to that with an improvement.
Evaluators pick the best among them to participate in the skills competition. If there's a 7th defense or 14th forward capable of a 110mph shot, I want to see it. I don't care if it's Makar or Vlasic shooting it.
Kupari apparently has wheels but we won't see it because he's not an all star. Gudas has the hardest tracked shot so far this season.

This, with winning player earning a non-cap bonus
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:08 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 15 at 12:15 a.m.
@mokumboi

Pls gimmie some insight on Berube

Style of coaching and overall opinion if possible as a Blues fan
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 15 at 11:36 a.m.
[Scott McLaughlin] When asked about being named an All-Star, Jeremy Swayman brought up his arbitration case as part of his answer: “After dealing with what I did this summer with arbitration, hearing things that a player should never hear, it feels pretty special to be in this situation.”

-if I could ask anybody inside nhl management any one question, it would be about the above.

Why do teams constantly alienate their own contracted employees during arb?

Every player’s compensation is based on all the players who have previously signed contracts. To make an arb case, you simply have to frame the facts more so in your favor than the other side.

There is no reason whatsoever to make the process personal or overly negative. That detracts, as anything that drifts from the truth does.

Most importantly, Other contractual disputes in other arenas are not resolved like this. This is an uncommon process. Teams are hurting themselves and likely losing some edge in negotiation with these tactics.
Jan. 15 at 12:03 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: aadoyle
mokumboi

Pls gimmie some insight on Berube

Style of coaching and overall opinion if possible as a Blues fan

He wants north-south, forechecking and such, but doesn't micromanage tactical stuff. He's a delegator. Players tend to love him because he's a straightforward person, though he definitely is a bit biased towards veterans. He makes damn good adjustments, but sometimes relies too much on too many adjustments and sometimes they come too slow. With a younger, still building team, I'd probably say he's the wrong coach. With a more veteran Toronto, he'd be a good choice. I mean, even your mid 20's guys have been around 6-7-8 seasons. Would he be the best choice? Mmm I don't know. He could be everything they need or he could be a style mismatch. Either him or the team would need to change some of the ways they do things. Or more likely, both meet somewhere in the middle.
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
[Scott McLaughlin] When asked about being named an All-Star, Jeremy Swayman brought up his arbitration case as part of his answer: “After dealing with what I did this summer with arbitration, hearing things that a player should never hear, it feels pretty special to be in this situation.”

-if I could ask anybody inside nhl management any one question, it would be about the above.

Every player’s compensation is based on all the players who have previously signed contracts. To make an arb case, you simply have to frame the facts more so in your favor than the other side.

There is no reason whatsoever to make the process personal or overly negative. That detracts, as anything that drifts from the truth does.

Most importantly, Other contractual disputes in other arenas are not resolved like this. This is an uncommon process. Teams are hurting themselves and likely losing some edge in negotiation with these tactics.

There's a reason why so many cases headed to arbitration get resolved pre arbitration
2023: 3 cases made it to arbitration (24 cases were headed to arbitration) (Swayman, Ilya Samsonov, Kurashev)
2022: 1/26 arbitration filings actually made it to the hearing (Trenin)
2021 0/20 arbitration filings actually made it to the hearing
2020: 1/26 arbitration filings actually made it to the hearing (Tyler Bertuzzi)

Arbitration can easily lead to a rift in team and player, hence barely anyone actually gets to a hearing since it's a detriment to both the player's salary asks, and the team's relationship to said player
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:36 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
[Scott McLaughlin]

It's just business, but it's easy to see why it can rub players the wrong way. If you're negotiating a contract on a car, you're surely going to mention that there are dents in body, scratches in the paint, rust in the wheel wells, stains or tears in the interior and the engine runs rough. You're trying to cut a deal for the car.
It's hard to be dispassionate about this if you are the one with dents and rust. Of course they are going to focus on the negatives. Just like the player is going to mention the low miles and new tires, and ignore the rest.
Jan. 15 at 3:33 p.m.
JimmyPaek
One day I hope to be as consistent at anything as Ryan Graves is at wearing turtlenecks
McGruff liked this.
Jan. 15 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Three of Flyers best NCAA prospects could elect free agency this summer

Massimo Rizzo (legit Hobey Baker candidate)
Hunter McDonald (one of the best defensive dman in NCAA)
Bryce Brodzinski (candidate for All Big Ten team)

better keep them away from gauthier
NHLfan10506 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 15 at 5:09 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
better keep them away from gauthier

Once is happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.
Three times is enemy action.
Jan. 15 at 5:10 p.m.
Val Nichushkin out indefinitely for the Avs as he enters the player assistance program.

Artturi Lehkonen is expected to make his return from injury later this week.
Miles Wood needs a day or two to recover from illness.

Avs fourth line tonight will probably feature 2 defenseman.
Jan. 15 at 5:15 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Val Nichushkin out indefinitely for the Avs as he enters the player assistance program.

Darn it, I mean obviously if it helps Nichuskin that’s great but he’s been great for my fantasy team so I don’t want him out
Jan. 15 at 5:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mokumboi
He wants north-south, forechecking and such, but doesn't micromanage tactical stuff. He's a delegator. Players tend to love him because he's a straightforward person, though he definitely is a bit biased towards veterans. He makes damn good adjustments, but sometimes relies too much on too many adjustments and sometimes they come too slow. With a younger, still building team, I'd probably say he's the wrong coach. With a more veteran Toronto, he'd be a good choice. I mean, even your mid 20's guys have been around 6-7-8 seasons. Would he be the best choice? Mmm I don't know. He could be everything they need or he could be a style mismatch. Either him or the team would need to change some of the ways they do things. Or more likely, both meet somewhere in the middle.

I have heard enough

MLSE ITS TIME
Jan. 15 at 6:18 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty

Florida did it in 2019-20 with Pysyk and Matheson lining up on 4th line with Acciari.

They scored 3 goals against NJD
Jan. 15 at 8:52 p.m.
Vegas Repeat
Fleury second all time for wins now 🥳🥳🥳
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 15 at 10:25 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Flyers might win it all
Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 10:58 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: edeangel84
One day I hope to be as consistent at anything as Ryan Graves is at wearing turtlenecks

Channeling his 'inner' Plek-a-neck's!!
2053-73599-original.jpeg
Jan. 16 at 6:48 a.m.
Edited Jan. 16 at 7:54 a.m.
Philly really handled stl last night. Such a solid game. Maybe pushed me into acknowledging that perhaps stl is not a bubble team, and is firmly on the outside looking in.

Assuming that stl sells, I think somebody will get a Buchnevich.

It seems wasteful to retain him into his final season if the team has no chance at improving its roster, and I don’t see the team filling the holes that Vrana and Kapanen will open up during the off-season without some pain. I’d suggest Vrana and Kapanen are available, but Vrana isn’t nhl talent and Kapanen wouldn’t maintain a roster slot on many teams, altho is nhl level talent, I’m not sure you can expect a return for his rights.

Thinking the blues can ask for a young skater to replace Buchnevich, given his extra year of term. It seems like the last 4 or so years that Doug Armstrong has routinely “been ahead of it”, whether that be offloading 5 roster skaters before the final week of last years trade deadline, or just the fact that any trade he’s made for an expiring contract always comes with the announcement of an extension (Buchnevich, Faulk, etc). He acts when he’s decided. Due to that, I’d expect him to shift sooner than later, as it’s kinda that time of the season where the choices have to start being made.

Is a shame. I feel the team is closer than it looks, but it doesn’t look like there’s ways to make adjustments due to what exists.
Jan. 16 at 11:13 a.m.
Amirov Forever
How much will Pettersson extend for? I'm thinking it's going to be something like 12.5 at this point
CantStopWontStop and Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 16 at 11:30 a.m.
Bedard23
Dickinson got a 2 year extension

Common Kyle Davidson W
Sharkie69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll