SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 1 at 4:58 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: IconicHawk
-Traded Debrincat for the pick that became Kevin Korshinski

-Traded Dach at the perfect time to land the Frank Nazar pick

-Traded for Jason Dickinson

-Managed to get 2 firsts out of Hagel (one of those firsts was Oliver Moore)

We’re trying to avoid the mistake we made last “rebuild” attempt, by not rushing it for no reason

"Traded for Jason Dickinson"

474kzy.png?a474048
Hurricanes_WPG, A_Habs_fan, pinslack and 6 others liked this.
Feb. 1 at 7:08 p.m.
Amirov Forever
That player draft was the perfect example of why the NHL will NEVER gain any traction on the NBA / MLB. Zero personality, zero marketability, zero energy. It's honestly a little embarassing, every player on the ice is so robotic. We've got such a fantastic sport, but it's like the league tries to make it as unentertaining as possible
zk97, ricochetii, SevenLeg and 3 others liked this.
Feb. 1 at 7:23 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
ASG draft was horrible lol
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 7:41 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
That player draft was the perfect example of why the NHL will NEVER gain any traction on the NBA / MLB. Zero personality, zero marketability, zero energy. It's honestly a little embarassing, every player on the ice is so robotic. We've got such a fantastic sport, but it's like the league tries to make it as unentertaining as possible

That's because the NHL can't market for ****. Take a company like the UFC, they get fighters with dead personalities who can't even speak English and turn them into superstars with their promoting. Maybe the NHL should hire someone who knows what they are doing.
Feb. 1 at 8:59 p.m.

They gotta do that in a studio…mistake was trying to do it in arena.
Feb. 1 at 11:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
I think the NHL had a great idea with this. The only problem is the players executed it in the most boring way possible. I think Buble was the best celebrity and he actually added a lot to it. Arnett and McRae were fine, however Bieber may as well have not been there. Nothing again the guy but it didn’t seem like he participated like at all. They also picked bad announcers/hosts, nothing against David Amber but they needed someone else here. Let me throw a hot take out there and say Coach Chippy, him hosting it would actually be so sick (heck make it Coach Chip and Kessel. Lol)
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 11:30 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Saskleaf
I think the NHL had a great idea with this. The only problem is the players executed it in the most boring way possible. I think Buble was the best celebrity and he actually added a lot to it. Arnett and McRae were fine, however Bieber may as well have not been there. Nothing again the guy but it didn’t seem like he participated like at all. They also picked bad announcers/hosts, nothing against David Amber but they needed someone else here. Let me throw a hot take out there and say Coach Chippy, him hosting it would actually be so sick (heck make it Coach Chip and Kessel. Lol)

Also I need to add: somehow make it in the future where players can’t pick their own teammates or something. Give us something exciting here.
ricochetii and capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 11:55 p.m.
Also I need to add: somehow make it in the future where players can’t pick their own teammates or something. Give us something exciting here.

A few suggestions:

1. Go big and make skills contest a way to chose teams (ie, win a leg, pick a guy…slowest skater loses a pick…hardest shot, take your friend). That way they are doing their thing…they loosen up. When they get mic’ed up for those things, they can be rather funny. And they can pull it off in front of crowd. Or…

2. Just go small and make it like a fantasy football draft…in some guys basement or backyard, full with BBQ, beers…Chicklets hosting…

Also, the celebrity thing was very odd.
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 2 at 12:02 a.m.

How about giving each captain a pick from outside the 44 available? So instead of league picking the last few guys, the captains get to choose (maybe for obvious snubs, or good stories, or guys entering retirement who’ve never been…)
Feb. 2 at 1:52 a.m.
Go Habs Go

It's a chance to see combinations we never get to see. We get to see Vancouver vs. Toronto in the regular season. We don't need it in the all star game.
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 2 at 8:00 a.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: zk97
ASG draft was horrible lol

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I honestly found it quite endearing how the players had no idea what they were doing. The only terrible part that I found about it was when I had to turn away from the screen to not subject myself to Justin Bieber cringe.
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 8:06 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan

Coach Chippy and Kessel would’ve been hilarious. If you wanted to go another route (although it’s Sportsnet, so they would veto it) get Don Cherry in there.
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 8:33 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Coach Chippy and Kessel would’ve been hilarious. If you wanted to go another route (although it’s Sportsnet, so they would veto it) get Don Cherry in there.

Don Cherry would be funny too but he’s probably a bit too old now for that kind of thing.
LeafsForLife and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 8:53 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He was indeed garnering interest, but got hurt and therefore teams did not have interest.

And Montreal decided not to wait for this TDL?

KH knew that offer was the best he could get...

GM?

General Manager. Kyle Davidson. He's clueless.[/quote]

And yet you ignore multiple other team's GMs whose players didn't return a 1st?
Feb. 2 at 9:21 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
"Traded for Jason Dickinson"

474kzy.png?a474048

They got a second for taking on his contract... He's producing at a decent rate considering that

They need to find a way to incentivize personality and fun... It looked like they were too scared to make a mistake

I think they should have gone with guys like Nasher, Chippy, Barber and Bell as the celebrity Allstar captains tbh... Would have had the SC crew (Bissonette and Whitney) running the whole thing and would have made a rule saying you can't draft a player on your own team... (So, Hughes can't draft Van or NJD players, Matthews can't draft TOR players, etc.) And would have made draft picks available to trade as well to incentivize trading up and trading for your team's player (So, Matthews could draft Georgiev and trade him and an 8th round pick to Mackinnon for Marner and a 3rd round pick for example)
Turbo and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 2 at 9:37 a.m.
"Negotiating blitz tonight between the NHL, The NHLPA and the IIHF. If it comes to fruition, the league could announce its participation to the next Winter Olympics on Friday."
Feb. 2 at 11:03 a.m.
Did the habs get their fomo buyer?
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 11:07 a.m.
WentWughes
Habs are definitely getting Heinola based on Hughes wanting the entire 2019 draft.
Feb. 2 at 11:11 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Leafsfan98
And Montreal decided not to wait for this TDL?

KH knew that offer was the best he could get...

General Manager. Kyle Davidson. He's clueless.

And yet you ignore multiple other team's GMs whose players didn't return a 1st?[/quote]

Monahan to the Jets for a 1st + Conditional pick. THANK YOU, NEXT
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 2 at 11:18 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
And yet you ignore multiple other team's GMs whose players didn't return a 1st?

Monahan to the Jets for a 1st + Conditional pick. THANK YOU, NEXT[/quote]

Jets got fleeced
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 2 at 11:20 a.m.
WentWughes
Monahan to the Jets for a 1st + Conditional pick. THANK YOU, NEXT

Jets got fleeced[/quote]

And he got a 1st just like I predicted, I'm not surprised because he was the best center available and teams overpay at the TD.
Feb. 2 at 11:21 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Jets got fleeced

And he got a 1st just like I predicted, I'm not surprised because he was the best center available and teams overpay at the TD.[/quote]

Not this bad though... Monahan wasn't even the best centre available... And his stats indicate that he should be getting a 2nd/3rd

Henrique was/is...
Feb. 2 at 11:25 a.m.
WentWughes
And he got a 1st just like I predicted, I'm not surprised because he was the best center available and teams overpay at the TD.

Not this bad though... Monahan wasn't even the best centre available... And his stats indicate that he should be getting a 2nd/3rd

Henrique was/is...[/quote]

Dude. Monahan is better than Henrique. And Cheaper, and younger. Henrique will be the guy getting a 2nd + something small.
Feb. 2 at 11:28 a.m.
1st + conditional pick for Monahan good deal for both teams, Winnipeg adds a much needed center and rounds out their top 9 while Montreal gets a 1st
Feb. 2 at 11:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Henrique was/is...

Dude. Monahan is better than Henrique. And Cheaper, and younger. Henrique will be the guy getting a 2nd + something small.[/quote]

Henrique is better defensively and is far better at ES...

So happy the Leafs don't need a centre bc ANA should be asking for minimum 1st+3rd if this is what Monahan gets

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll