Forums/Armchair-GM

The Defence Rests

Created by: Rooster
Team: 2024-25 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2024
Published: Jan. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We need to fix the LHD-RHD situation. If Chych is willing to sign long term then I think we trade Chabot at the draft, and spend some $ fixing the right side. I am actually feeling good long term with the play of JBD this season and with Klevin coming on the left side in a few years.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
8$5,500,000
3$1,000,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
5$4,500,000
3$1,000,000
Trades
OTT
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
  2. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Use the available cash to resign Chych and to upgrade elsewhere. Possibly flip the picks for a roster player.
MTL
  1. Chabot, Thomas
Additional Details:
He immediately becomes Montreal's #1 dman.
OTT
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
CAR
  1. Brännström, Erik [RFA Rights]
  2. Järventie, Roby
  3. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Dman to help replace/reinforce the back end for Carolina. I might be wrong here, but I see Necas and Jarvis as the same player and Carolina might make one available?
OTT
  1. 2024 7th round pick (NSH)
NJD
  1. Forsberg, Anton ($1,375,000 retained)
Additional Details:
To a team who needs a competent backup goalie.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,934,047$850,000$0-$234,047
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 4
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
RFA
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 7
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C
RFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,050,000$8,050,000
LD
UFA - 8
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
RFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25 at 9:55 a.m.
ht42
Habs will not gonna do that...
palhal liked this.
Jan. 25 at 9:59 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Wouldn't the Habs be much better off, spending even one million more a piece to sign Zaradov and DeMelo for a total of 11.5m, keeping the two picks instead of one 8m Chabot.
Jan. 25 at 9:59 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Necas and Jarvis are very much not the same player, their only similarities are they both play RW. Necas could be moved but the return must be player(s) who can impact now. Respectively, this isn’t it…
Jan. 25 at 10:01 a.m.
I am guessing the ACGM market for Chabot will be more muted than a real life market for Chabot. A solid young Dman with term shouldn’t have any problem getting a 1st/2nd type of return.

There are a bunch of good RHD available this summer. But demand will be high too.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:06 a.m.
On the Rod Meal Plan
Necas and Jarvis are not the same player. While Necas might be made available (I don't think he should be, but it's a split in the fanbase at least online), I gotta imagine it's only for an upgrade paired with a pick or in a hockey trade type situation like he was rumored for M Tkachuk. Unless the Canes crash hard towards the end of the year, those firsts aren't going to be of much interest to a team trying to win now.

Also worth noting I don't think that Montreal makes the first deal, and the 2025 Calgary 1st is the most valuable piece coming back. Necas probably signs for more than that on an 8 year deal as well.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
Necas and Jarvis are not the same player. While Necas might be made available (I don't think he should be, but it's a split in the fanbase at least online), I gotta imagine it's only for an upgrade paired with a pick or in a hockey trade type situation like he was rumored for M Tkachuk. Unless the Canes crash hard towards the end of the year, those firsts aren't going to be of much interest to a team trying to win now.

Also worth noting I don't think that Montreal makes the first deal, and the 2025 Calgary 1st is the most valuable piece coming back. Necas probably signs for more than that on an 8 year deal as well.

All great points. I based Necas' salary on The Athletic's player cards, that surprisingly placed his overall salary value a lot lower than I expected. If the Calgary pick was involved in the Chabot deal, there would be some sort of draft protection (e.g. lower of Montreal/Calgary pick, top 10 protection etc.). I terms of the Necas deal, I am thinking the Canes take the picks and then go hard after a Reinhart-type player in UFA.
Jan. 25 at 10:20 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
Necas and Jarvis are very much not the same player, their only similarities are they both play RW. Necas could be moved but the return must be player(s) who can impact now. Respectively, this isn’t it…

Good point. As I mentioned in another post, I'm wondering if they'd entertain a package of 1st rounders if they are able to chase an upgrade via free agency. I see Sam Reinhart as an ideal fit. I used the Eichel trade as a bit of a template for my Necas offer. Buffalo got a 1st and 2nd, plus admittedly better players than I offered, but Jack is also an elite centreman.
Jan. 25 at 10:25 a.m.
Noesen on pace to do 20goals and 49 pts but he’ll settle for 1 million to play for the Sens 🥴
Jan. 25 at 10:31 a.m.
Jay27
Don’t get me wrong I like Chabot but the last thing we need in Montreal is another left handed Dman.
Jan. 25 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: Gadder33
Noesen on pace to do 20goals and 49 pts but he’ll settle for 1 million to play for the Sens 🥴

Hope he cashes in. Reality is he's a 30yr old player who's bounced around teams and is playing on a salary that's at the league minimum. Don't really care if the Sens go after him or not - simply an example of a bottom 9 vet player and salary the Sens should be chasing. If not him, then a player who can fit into the bottom 9 at a good price.
Gadder33 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: Jay27
Don’t get me wrong I like Chabot but the last thing we need in Montreal is another left handed Dman.

I think the difference in Chabot is that you'd have a guy that is entering his prime years and could bridge the gap between the current dmen and the young guys coming in. I don't have an overly academic knowledge of Montreal's d-core, but I do see some older guys (Matheson is almost 30, Savard is @ the tail end of his career) and then a bunch of young guys and prospects. As we've seen in Ottawa, it seems to take a little longer for defencemen to be NHL ready. We've been waiting for Bernard Docker for several years, Lassi Thomson looks like a bust, Brannstrom is a good NHLer but still finding his game. Chabot will be 27 next year and I feel would be an ideal high end vet to add to the lineup while the younger guys get more games in at the AHL level and eventually acclimatize to NHL standards.
Jan. 25 at 10:46 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
I think Necas gets moved in the offseason, but it would not be for a futures based package. Something like Necas and a 1st for someone like a Marner. Someone who will help the team now and in the long run. With this upcoming UFA class not being all that great, getting a roster upgrade in return would be more important than getting the picks and going hard after a UFA and ultimately overpaying. Reinhart is probably going to be the best winger available, and whilst I would love for the Canes to snag him, the offense he is showing this year is a massive leap from what he has traditionally shown, he will get overpaid and some team will regret it.
Jan. 25 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac555

I agree with your assessment and I do think that they'd only move him for an upgrade in the top-6
Jan. 25 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I am guessing the ACGM market for Chabot will be more muted than a real life market for Chabot. A solid young Dman with term shouldn’t have any problem getting a 1st/2nd type of return.

There are a bunch of good RHD available this summer. But demand will be high too.

I think Chabot is the type of defenseman that intrigues real-life GMs to the point of massively overpaying him
Jan. 25 at 11:08 a.m.
Jay27
Quoting: Rooster
I think the difference in Chabot is that you'd have a guy that is entering his prime years and could bridge the gap between the current dmen and the young guys coming in. I don't have an overly academic knowledge of Montreal's d-core, but I do see some older guys (Matheson is almost 30, Savard is the tail end of his career) and then a bunch of young guys and prospects. As we've seen in Ottawa, it seems to take a little longer for defencemen to be NHL ready. We've been waiting for Bernard Docker for several years, Lassi Thomson looks like a bust, Brannstrom is a good NHLer but still finding his game. Chabot will be 27 next year and I feel would be an ideal high end vet to add to the lineup while the younger guys get more games in at the AHL level and eventually acclimatize to NHL standards.

That’s the thing though, we have guys on the left side all in different parts of development. Matheson has proven more than capable of playing top pairing and 30 for a dman is by no means over the hill yet, Ghule who is already a top 4, Struble that has looked solid at the NHL level this year, Xhekaj who needs playing time in the NHL, Hutson who is on his way soon after probably being up for the Hobey Baker again this year and then we also have Enstrom and Konyushkov brewing in Europe.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 25 at 11:46 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Jan. 25 at 6:45 p.m.
The LAST thing Montreal needs is a 8M LHD.
SMH liked this.
Jan. 25 at 12:24 p.m.
I think the difference in Chabot is that you'd have a guy that is entering his prime years and could bridge the gap between the current dmen and the young guys coming in. I don't have an overly academic knowledge of Montreal's d-core, but I do see some older guys (Matheson is almost 30, Savard is the tail end of his career) and then a bunch of young guys and prospects. As we've seen in Ottawa, it seems to take a little longer for defencemen to be NHL ready. We've been waiting for Bernard Docker for several years, Lassi Thomson looks like a bust, Brannstrom is a good NHLer but still finding his game. Chabot will be 27 next year and I feel would be an ideal high end vet to add to the lineup while the younger guys get more games in at the AHL level and eventually acclimatize to NHL standards.

Chabot will actually be 27 in 5 days and he's only 3 years younger than Matheson. I also don't think that a D-man who's never played a playoff game and isn't known for being defensively responsible play is an "ideal high end vet to add to the lineup". Montreal's got one of (if not the) youngest D-cores in the NHL and have better prospects that haven't made it yet. There's not really a reason to both pay futures and take on a substantial cap hit for a guy that doesn't really fill a specific need now or in the future. Like, Montreal has Matheson as an offensive LD, they probably want Guhle to be at LD long term (even if he's at RD now), they've got Xhekaj, Struble and Harris at LD now, and believe in Hutson's upside at LD.

If Montreal were willing to spend that cap and actually wanted to add another veteran top-4 D-man, then there are better UFA targets to fill that role which wouldn't cost futures. I'm not against Montreal acquiring Chabot, but I don't really see a deal that would interest both teams.
Jan. 25 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: seanrushton
I think Chabot is the type of defenseman that intrigues real-life GMs to the point of massively overpaying him

Maybe…but if you need that type of dman and have cap space…sending a mid/late 1st and 2nd for him seems to me like a good deal.

I could see Carolina kick the tires if Skjei departs.
Rooster liked this.
Jan. 25 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Maybe…but if you need that type of dman and have cap space…sending a mid/late 1st and 2nd for him seems to me like a good deal.

I could see Carolina kick the tires if Skjei departs.

I agree
Jan. 25 at 12:56 p.m.
Mr.
Quoting: jpsnow13
The LAST thing Montreal jeeds is a 8M LHD.

hes also going to be montreal 3rd pair D behind guhle and matheson
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: SMH
hes also going to be montreal 3rd pair D behind guhle and matheson

I really enjoy how fanbases in Capfriendly overvalue their own players while undervaluing other teams' players. Using The Athletic's Net Rating evaluation tool, an impartial tool for this example, Guhle's market value (or worth to his current team) is $1.6 mil, Matheson's is $4.1 mil. Guhle is on the uptick and certainly projects as a top 4 dman for sure, but he's not there yet. Chabot's value, and this takes into account his injury status this season is $5.2 mil. So what this indicated to me is that Chabot would actually be Montreal's 1LD, with Matheson at 2LD.

Anyway all good. Best of luck to the Habs with the rebuild. Sens fans certainly know the pain. In reality, I see Chychrun being moved around the draft this season, with Chabot staying in our top 4.
Jan. 25 at 1:27 p.m.
I really enjoy how fanbases in Capfriendly overvalue their own players while undervaluing other teams' players. Using The Athletic's Net Rating evaluation tool, an impartial tool for this example, Guhle's market value (or worth to his current team) is $1.6 mil, Matheson's is $4.1 mil. Guhle is on the uptick and certainly projects as a top 4 dman for sure, but he's not there yet. Chabot's value, and this takes into account his injury status this season is $5.2 mil. So what this indicated to me is that Chabot would actually be Montreal's 1LD, with Matheson at 2LD.

Anyway all good. Best of luck to the Habs with the rebuild. Sens fans certainly know the pain. In reality, I see Chychrun being moved around the draft this season, with Chabot staying in our top 4.

Chabot would be their #1 dman…by a lot.
Rooster and dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 2:23 p.m.
ChuckHabs54
Habs passssss
Not even close

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll