SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Feb. 26 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I think it comes to specific styles/fits just as much as anything else.

Tanev, Walker are good two-way guys: Tanev more defensive, Walker more offensive: but they are good in all zones: not overly physical or PP QB types either. Alex Carrier is in this category but further down the tiers than those guys: same for EJ. Colton Parayko would be at (or near) the top depending upon if St. Louis would put him on the market and with retention.

The guys that add grit/sandpaper sometimes get valued more come playoff time: Savard, Lyubushkin, Dumba, Peeke. Especially if there is a team that feels they need that specific role player.

Jokiharju, Boqvist, Barrie (and Justin Schultz) fit a specific category of need: offensive puckmovers/PPQB types.

I've also wondered about Matt Roy in LAK; who I think they love but it is a position of strength and they need cap $ to add a goalie.

Toronto for example does need to even consider the puck-movers and probably wants to just focus on the grit/sandpaper guys.
Feb. 26 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean Schenn got a third mainly due to the cap hit as he was playing top pair in Van and costed under 1m

Rental depth Dman really didnt get stupendous returns

The offseason though they got overpaid lul

Gavrikov was a rugged D-man rental but it's hard to know what value was assigned to him vs Korpisalo in that deal.
Feb. 26 at 6:00 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
[Jeremy Rutherford] I’d give it a 50%-60% chance that Jordan Kyrou gets traded before his no-trade clause kicks in (July 1st 2025), and that might be a little low. I would be shocked if Kyrou finishes his 8-year contract with St. Louis

Per hockey subreddit.

Podcast link

JR is an idiot.
Feb. 26 at 6:02 p.m.
mokumboi
On a 60 minute basis, Guentzel shoots 20% more and scores 20% more goals. That is the main difference why he is more highly coveted. Goal Scoring will always command a premium (just like size for defenseman seems to come TDL).

It doesn't mean Buchnevich isn't good or that some teams might rank him higher depending on their need. He clearly is a top 6 guy on any contender.

Just to be clear, I was not one of the people he's talking about who said that. In fact, I don't recall seeing anyone say that. I was merely demonstrating that it's not exactly a wild take. They're at a very similar level.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Feb. 26 at 6:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gavrikov was a rugged D-man rental but it's hard to know what value was assigned to him vs Korpisalo in that deal.

Now that guy was a different story but also CBJ did help LAK by taking 5.8m of Quicks cap hit back

So who knows if they didnt might have only got a 2nd for him
Feb. 26 at 6:29 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Just to be clear, I was not one of the people he's talking about who said that. In fact, I don't recall seeing anyone say that. I was merely demonstrating that it's not exactly a wild take. They're at a very similar level.

oh no worries; wasn't really wading into that whole mess; just trying to separate what "good vs good" is between those two guys. They are different players with different skills; albeit with similiar cap hits. I think there is a market kicking tires on Guentzel/Tarasenko and perhaps a different market kicking tires on Buchnevich.
mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 26 at 6:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Anyone else feel like the Bruins signing Collin Graf makes way too much sense to not happen?
Feb. 26 at 9:02 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: mokumboi

You can look at a million different pieces of data to split hairs about players but in the end what matters is the reality of accomplishments. Jake had two of the best playoff performances of the last decade in our back to back cup runs. The guy is a ppg playoff performer and that’s with over 50 career playoff games. That’s not the kind of rental a contender gets to add very often.
Feb. 26 at 10:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Gotta congratulate Logan Stankoven on his first career NHL goal. It will always baffle me how he fell out of the first round, anyone who watched Team Canada at the World Juniors in his draft year knew how good the kid would be. Dallas is one fortunate team to have him
HockeyScotty, Pompadour_de_Armstrong, Brian2016 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 26 at 11:36 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Sounds like a load of BS to me. Would be a tremendous mistake on St. Louis' part

Reminds me of the JT Miller thing last year
Feb. 26 at 11:38 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Toronto for example does need to even consider the puck-movers and probably wants to just focus on the grit/sandpaper guys.

I think it would be stupid for TO to not find the best value as they have sandpaper (Benoit, McCabe) and Puck movers (MO, Lilly)
Feb. 26 at 11:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Nah they got a good chunk. What they need is a partner for Rielly.

I got a name but as to if he could be available is the question

Adam_Larsson_closeup_2023.png
Saskleaf and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 27 at 1:44 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Gotta congratulate Logan Stankoven on his first career NHL goal. It will always baffle me how he fell out of the first round, anyone who watched Team Canada at the World Juniors in his draft year knew how good the kid would be. Dallas is one fortunate team to have him

Really hope he gets sent down soon, I'd hate for him not to be in the calder race next year, he will be the favorite for sure if he's in it.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 27 at 10:52 a.m.
mokumboi
oh no worries; wasn't really wading into that whole mess; just trying to separate what "good vs good" is between those two guys. They are different players with different skills; albeit with similiar cap hits. I think there is a market kicking tires on Guentzel/Tarasenko and perhaps a different market kicking tires on Buchnevich.

True. If anything, the Buch market is probably wider.
Feb. 27 at 10:54 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: edeangel84
You can look at a million different pieces of data to split hairs about players but in the end what matters is the reality of accomplishments. Jake had two of the best playoff performances of the last decade in our back to back cup runs. The guy is a ppg playoff performer and that’s with over 50 career playoff games. That’s not the kind of rental a contender gets to add very often.

Nobody is trying to minimize Guentzel here, dude. He needs no introduction. But saying that right now he's a clearly superior player to Buch?

I can't go for that. No can do.
Feb. 27 at 2:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man after seeing that practice photo of Rempe NYR need to HS for his sanity and heath

The kid looks like an assault victim
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 27 at 3:55 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Annual tradition of fans expecting far far too much of their final time RFA star who potentially wants out and then being inevitably being disappointed by the return
Feb. 27 at 4:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 4:51 p.m.
Kind of funny how this is the year FLA needs to go all in and they dont have the assets for it

As come next year the expression cap crunch is coming

Cause Reinhardt and Forsling are not gonna come cheap, Knight will probs be the backup again, and yes its gonna be hard to keep everyone and field a good team
Feb. 27 at 6:19 p.m.
Kind of funny how this is the year FLA needs to go all in and they dont have the assets for it

Cause Reinhardt and Forsling are not gonna come cheap, Knight will probs be the backup again, and yes its gonna be hard to keep everyone and field a good team

I wonder if Knight is a trade chip that they will use. Frees up cap space and if they can re-sign Stolarz is a luxury they can't afford. Someone would have to be really high on him as an NHL goalie to do it though.
Feb. 27 at 9:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe got kicked out for saying to ref u missed a call in the most non hostile manner

How butt hurt were the refs tonight....
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 27 at 10:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Keefe got kicked out for saying to ref u missed a call in the most non hostile manner

How butt hurt were the refs tonight....

Montreal hasn't gotten a powerplay in 2 full games, don't talk about Toronto not getting calls.
ricochetii liked this.
Feb. 27 at 10:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 11:34 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Montreal hasn't gotten a powerplay in 2 full games, don't talk about Toronto not getting calls.

Dont know why we making this about MTL lul. Whole convo is ref kicked a coach out for saying yah missed one in the most non hostile manner lul

MJ heard the whole thing and it was pretty silly on refs side.

Like if refs be kicking coaches out for them saying yah missed one in a non-hostile manner what we doing lul.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 3:09 a.m.
WentWughes
Dont know why we making this about MTL lul. Whole convo is ref kicked a coach out for saying yah missed one in the most non hostile manner lul

MJ heard the whole thing and it was pretty silly on refs side.

Like if refs be kicking coaches out for them saying yah missed one in a non-hostile manner what we doing lul.

Because Hockey revolves around Montreal
Feb. 28 at 11:52 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=who+has+had+the+most+power+plays+nhl+2023-24

It's fully reasonable to talk about Toronto not getting calls
Feb. 28 at 12:08 p.m.

Florida needs a depth winger and a 3rd pair RD. You don’t need high end assets to get that done

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll