SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 5 at 11:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mokumboi
I have no idea how anyone imagines they have the trade capital for that.

I mean they do but do they want to give it all for 2 months of Hanifin.

As Isaac Howard did have a good WJC and has been productive for a 1st round pick. Wont be him alone but he is a nice part of the pkg

But yea if TBL does this he needs to extend otherwise cupboard is empty
Mar. 6 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont see FLA parting with Lundell though

Thats the guy CGY is gonna want

But that's the point for Tampa to get involved. They don't want FLA to get Hanifin
Mar. 6 at 12:16 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
But that's the point for Tampa to get involved. They don't want FLA to get Hanifin

I mean lets be real we have seen FLA beat TBL in reg season in convincing fashion then get smoked in playoffs and I believe this was after FLA made those 3 crazy trades

TBL to me should play the safe game and look for someone good but not stupid expensive
Mar. 6 at 7:27 a.m.
Edited Mar. 6 at 9:37 a.m.
Imma go waaaaay out on a limb and suggest that Tampa is in a lot of trouble. They don’t seem to have the assets to pay a trade bill, no matter how much players want to go to them. I couldnt make a single trade work between my team and theirs because they have absolutely nothing I’d want, nothing close. Maybe their 3rd helps fill a hole, but not a top 4 d hole. If your big add costs a 3rd, that’s not a big add, that’s like the 5th best rental center, or 3rd best rental gap fill dman, or a winger that’s probably sketchy to put in your top 9.

With games at hand converted to Ws, wishful thinking, the Penguins are 2 points behind with over 20 games to go, the Islanders are even with the same wishful thinking. With hockey being half pinball, luck itself has to just act one certain way and they’re out. Even absolute monster teams bow down to luck, or bad luck when it comes.

I feel Tampa had this same experience multiple previous years. This is the time of the year for the annual Cooper Benches the Vets headline.

Perhaps they pull it off again - why wouldn’t they? It’s happened like this a few times and it’s worked out for them. Luck could also side with them, nothing says it has to be bad luck. I just don’t have confidence - their competition can improve and it seems they cannot. I think it would be a severe blow if one of their wildcard competitors adds bigly. If you’re hiring Patrick Roy I don’t think you’re a seller. I still think tarasenko to nyi makes a ton of sense. He would fit so well with how they play and give them like 3 waves of just big, multitool, heady offensive but responsible dudes, and tarasenko is playing for his next contract to the extreme, all time goat fired agents / 60.
Mar. 6 at 8:28 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: palhal
True, but if the Leafs didn't have Reaves, many Leafs fans would be saying, "We need a guy that can fight"
Reaves cap contract is kinda meaningless, as he could be waived and not claimed, kinda means nothing to the cap,,,,about 200,000.
Either way the owners of the Leafs (Bell and Rogers) if they have to pay for Reaves will just raise your phone/cable/internet fees.

Then here's to hoping Reaves stay up in TO
Mar. 6 at 8:38 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: edeangel84
All I’ve learned from this site over the last couple of weeks is that apparently being the best winger to play with Crosby over his entire career is somehow a detriment.

Don't disrespect my guy Chris Kunitz!
Mar. 6 at 9:49 a.m.
If Tampa negotiated an extension with Hanifin without Calgary's blessing...that is tampering, ask league to investigate, TBL would likely be penalized.

If Tampa negotiated an extension with Hanifin with Calgary's blessing....CGY should stop complaining about it harming the Hanifin market.

(What is Conroy doing? Has any GM nuked their reputation faster that he has?)
Rangsey liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:39 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Imma go waaaaay out on a limb and suggest that Tampa is in a lot of trouble. They don’t seem to have the assets to pay a trade bill, no matter how much players want to go to them. I couldnt make a single trade work between my team and theirs because they have absolutely nothing I’d want, nothing close. Maybe their 3rd helps fill a hole, but not a top 4 d hole. If your big add costs a 3rd, that’s not a big add, that’s like the 5th best rental center, or 3rd best rental gap fill dman, or a winger that’s probably sketchy to put in your top 9.

With games at hand converted to Ws, wishful thinking, the Penguins are 2 points behind with over 20 games to go, the Islanders are even with the same wishful thinking. With hockey being half pinball, luck itself has to just act one certain way and they’re out. Even absolute monster teams bow down to luck, or bad luck when it comes.

I feel Tampa had this same experience multiple previous years. This is the time of the year for the annual Cooper Benches the Vets headline.

Perhaps they pull it off again - why wouldn’t they? It’s happened like this a few times and it’s worked out for them. Luck could also side with them, nothing says it has to be bad luck. I just don’t have confidence - their competition can improve and it seems they cannot. I think it would be a severe blow if one of their wildcard competitors adds bigly. If you’re hiring Patrick Roy I don’t think you’re a seller. I still think tarasenko to nyi makes a ton of sense. He would fit so well with how they play and give them like 3 waves of just big, multitool, heady offensive but responsible dudes, and tarasenko is playing for his next contract to the extreme, all time goat fired agents / 60.

Also, take Kucherov away and they team hasn't performed well enough to warrant adding.
If you believe in this group, use the Sergachev cap space to bank a couple picks with salary retention and see where you go once you're in.

Vasy's limited offseason. Sergachev injury and the bottom 9 underperforming this team. It's not the year. Retool over the offseason, ened the Stamkos drama one way or the other and reload for next year. Theyre not the oldest team, their new core is in there prime right now.
Mar. 6 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: Rangsey
Also, take Kucherov away and they team hasn't performed well enough to warrant adding.
If you believe in this group, use the Sergachev cap space to bank a couple picks with salary retention and see where you go once you're in.

Vasy's limited offseason. Sergachev injury and the bottom 9 underperforming this team. It's not the year. Retool over the offseason, ened the Stamkos drama one way or the other and reload for next year. Theyre not the oldest team, their new core is in there prime right now.

It would be wild if they rented out Stamkos, he just went right back this off-season. This is how you sell tickets in the entertainment industry smile eleventh hour blockbusters
Mar. 6 at 10:44 a.m.
Montreal should be looking to sign the stanchion in Nashville to a contract, more useful than Josh Anderson
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 6 at 11:40 a.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Quoting: IconicHawk
Since the trade deadline is coming, who are you expecting to be traded and where?

Here are some destinations(in descending order) that I think would be possible for players:
Guentzel: VAN, CAR or EDM
Henrique: NYR, COL or FLA
Hanifin: DET, TBL or FLA
Zegras: NYR, stays or NSH
Granlund: COL, NYR or stays
Mittelstadt: STL, NSH or WSH
Allen: EDM, CAR, BUF
Duclair: TOR, TBL, COL
Kunin: STL, VAN, CAR
Tarasenko: CAR, NYI, NYR
Eberle: EDM, VAN, NYR
Walker: DET, TBL, TOR
Mar. 6 at 11:45 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Apparently Tarasenko to Florida is getting close. I feel like Sourdif will be involved, seems like a Sens type of player

Sourdif, 2025 2nd, and 2024 3rd seems about right, plus maybe another younger prospect
Mar. 6 at 11:49 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I just realized this is Dubas' first season where he's selling and not buying
Mar. 6 at 11:50 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I just realized this is Dubas' first season where he's selling and not buying

Curious to see if he gets worked or not. He certainly did when he was buying
Mar. 6 at 11:51 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Curious to see if he gets worked or not. He certainly did when he was buying

Muzzin was solid, so was Laff and McCabe and Gio...

I'd say he's average but very creative, curious what he targets
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 11:52 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Muzzin was solid, so was Laff and McCabe and Gio...

I'd say he's average but very creative, curious what he targets

Muzzin and McCabe were his best trades by a landslide. ROR and Acciari were solid adds too, but things like the Foligno trade were just a complete disaster.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 11:54 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Muzzin and McCabe were his best trades by a landslide. ROR and Acciari were solid adds too, but things like the Foligno trade were just a complete disaster.

Gio was also a very good add... Didn't spend a 1st and got him for 2 more seasons at 800K... I think Dubas' plan would have had Acciari sign in TO as he did in PIT and maybe ROR (as my theory was the Dubas thing scared him with how much media attention was circling around Toronto which I'd totally understand)
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:01 p.m.
Sounds like the Panthers & Senators just struck a deal for Vladimir Tarasenko.

No prospects, just 2 picks.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:02 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Rolfadinho

God awful for the Sens
Saskleaf and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:03 p.m.
torontos finest
God awful for the Sens

guess rentals are only worth a first if it's toronto
Mar. 6 at 12:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: mondo
guess rentals are only worth a first if it's toronto

Well Toronto has to pay the divisional rival tax

oh wait
Mar. 6 at 12:10 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Rolfadinho

Apparently it’s only a 3rd and a 4th

Like what the heck are you doing Ottawa, that might be the single worst return for a rental at the deadline I’ve ever seen
ricochetii and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:14 p.m.
Edited Mar. 6 at 3:25 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Apparently it’s only a 3rd and a 4th

Like what the heck are you doing Ottawa, that might be the single worst return for a rental at the deadline I’ve ever seen

Tarasenko has fired 4 agents in 24 months.

He is waiving his ntc for a future contract.

As predicted, he was super cheap to any team who would do that.

I’d predict he’s a panther for 3-4 more years.

Think of it like this:

It’s kinda hard to sign tarasenko if signing him means you have to pay a first round pick. Nobody would do that.

He had to be cheap to get what he wanted. Thus fully using the full ntc. If he’d only waive for 1 team, it’s a take it or leave it situation. Even if there’s no deal in Florida, he gets to be on the absolute premium team to show himself off, but he’d have that too at in Vegas, the lightning, Dallas, Edmonton - but if he waives for them all his price goes up, and it’s harder to decided to go down the path with him.

This is from 2 weeks ago from me, easier to read:

“He forced a full no trade during the off-season. He’s going to want term to waive.

If any team approaches with an extension, then that’s the only team he would waive for. His agents will have spoken with literally every viable team just this last off season, twice. Two seperate agents.

If a player only waives for one team, their value is the lowest possible.“

As an endnote that I edited it:

The senators had to agree to this when they signed him or it’s tampering times infinity.
ricochetii, pinslack, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Contrary to ACGM users, Tarasenko gets dealt for a 3rd and a conditional 4th
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:20 p.m.
Kansler
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Tarasenko has fired 4 agents in 24 months.

He is waiving his ntc for a future contract.

As predicted, he was super cheap to any team who would do that.

I’d predict he’s a panther for 3-4 more years.

Think of it like this:

It’s kinda hard to sign tarasenko if signing him means you have to pay a first round pick. Nobody would do that.

He had to be cheap to get what he wanted. Thus fully using the full ntc. If he’d only waive for 1 team, it’s a take it or leave it situation. Even if there’s no deal in Florida, he gets to be on the absolute premium team to show himself off.

With what capspace woyld florida sign him?
They are trouble in the summer anyhow... Montour, lundell, reinhart.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll