SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 6 at 8:08 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Casey has played a lot of LD in both juniors and NCAA (and center!). I don’t think he is as blocked as many think. If he is one of six best, he will play.

Respectfully- it is very funny you say this, when literally right above there’s a small engage about how having line imbalance is odd. No issues just funny lol.

I personally, don’t have a horse in the NJD race, but you do so there will always be a bias.

It’s not just about being one of the 6 best. It’s about balance.
Ottawa is literally dealing with this exact problem, and it is not working for them despite having 4 very good defenders.
(1RD, Zub - 3LD, Sanderson Chabot Chychrun)

LHughes - LOCKED LD, top pp time probably some PK too maybe I’m guessing? Probably 20+ career TOI for the future

Hamilton - Costs you nearly 10 mil, and he’s good, he will not be playing 18min> a night LOCKED RD

Nemec - legitimately has a case to be the best drafted prospect in the league by some professional accounts, RD LOCKED - will also require special teams time if he is this good

Dougie LHughes Nemec all sharing PP time (FULL)
LH, Nemec probably get PK time for their future careers to bolster their development into cup winning d men.

Now we have Sieg taking 2LD and Marino taking “3rd” RD.
Marino isn’t bad but Probably would cost to trade to no? I’ve seen discourse around him.

Sieg is a solid defensive oriented player (isn’t he having a rough year?, can’t recall).
Both are “technically young” at 26 and locked in with deals.

So yeah he could be your 2LD but that offside and offside is not a perfect situation (we can look at Byram, he’s right there!!) unless he steals jobs which is good but that means a job is lost by someone else.

I’m talking perfect world here; devils wants

LHughes - Honestly, Nemec : elite pairing
Sieg - Hamilton : let hamtilon let loose
LD - RD : DZone oriented
(Marino currently that RD)

My rational here is you do not want Hamilton playing 3rd pair unless Casey is so good you’re trading him but you’re realistically hoping Casey is Hamilton level so that would almost be a step backwards for the Devils. And you do not want Casey to be a 3rd pair guy forever.

My only logic for the Devils is Casey’s value is arguably the highest it will ever be, not everyone is going to play like Nemec does when they step in.

Maybe Casey does… but upgrade your goaltending, upgrading depth somewhere like Defensive D or Defensive Forward or scoring depth, and maybe even another asset with 1 prospect.

Ottawa trades Chabot for Saros
Saros for Casey
Nash gets Chabot
(Literally an example of a framework)

I’m not saying the Devils can’t keep Casey and wait it out… I’m not saying Saros is available; just saying wouldn’t it be smart to explore. I want the Devils to succeed nearly as much as a Devils fan.

Don’t care for seeing a VGK 2-3 peat or another COL cup. Would be nice to see a new winner.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 8:13 p.m.
Bruh. Vegas, Calgary? Really? There are other teams y’know
Mar. 6 at 8:35 p.m.
It's probably something like Miromanov + 5th to Minnesota to get them to eat 25% of Hanifin's cap hit

no details on who's going to Calgary but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Whitecloud. That still leaves Vegas with a lot of LTIR space for someone like Buchnevich.
Mar. 6 at 8:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Bruh. Vegas, Calgary? Really? There are other teams y’know

Sure but did any of them try to beat VGK's offer or did Hanifin want to go
Mar. 6 at 9:08 p.m.
Maybe Conroy is having second thoughts again
Mar. 6 at 9:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Maybe Conroy is having second thoughts again

I heard there was something about an extension

Maybe they negotiating it before its all said and done

So a sign and trade basically
Mar. 6 at 9:24 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
My old person hot-take will continue to be that the issue is a relatively new fascination and is overrated. Mostly a comfort level from guys who never played off hand side. It does make a difference on how you will approach a play (and especially on the PP), but no-one capable of playing top-four minutes should be unable to shift to the other side. It just takes some adjustment to get comfortable and retrain the brain a bit. Wouldn't be too keen on asking a young guy still getting confidence at this level to make changes to his game at the same time or ask a fringe defenseman to change his game around, but most guys should be able to get comfortable with a bit of time.
Doesn't mean guys won't have preferences, or that some guys won't play better on one side or the other, or that you shouldn't try to line up with those preferences in mind. Just think it's a relatively new coaching obsession to grab a dedicated number of L/R defensemen as opposed to grabbing the best four defensemen you can ice and try to find the right mix and partners for them regardless of handedness.

Most strategies rely on having the correct hand at the correct place at the correct time. Funneling pucks out of your zone or wrapping around the boards, is faster and more accurate on the forehand.
A defenseman playing the wrong hand doesn't only affect his own play either. Everyone has to make sure he has the time to avoid getting crossed up and adjust how they move the puck to that player.
On their own, there are a lot of little details which it affects. Combined it can cause significant issues.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Mar. 6 at 9:33 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I heard there was something about an extension

Maybe they negotiating it before its all said and done

So a sign and trade basically

So the trade is done…it’s just not done.

(Seems familiar)
Mar. 6 at 9:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So the trade is done…it’s just not done.

(Seems familiar)

Yea kind of reminds me of Zadorov + Tanev where it was done but then not done lul

But yea feel its gonna be tomorrow or late tonight when we see details
Mar. 6 at 9:43 p.m.
Bedard23
Of course Matthews scores the OT winner, who else would it be?
Mar. 6 at 9:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 6 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Of course Matthews scores the OT winner, who else would it be?

The funny thing about his total none have been ENG

Last time he scored 60 there were 4

Havent seen that in a while lul

6 away from 60 16 away from 70 20 games to go
Mar. 6 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Respectfully- it is very funny you say this, when literally right above there’s a small engage about how having line imbalance is odd. No issues just funny lol.

I personally, don’t have a horse in the NJD race, but you do so there will always be a bias.

It’s not just about being one of the 6 best. It’s about balance.
Ottawa is literally dealing with this exact problem, and it is not working for them despite having 4 very good defenders.
(1RD, Zub - 3LD, Sanderson Chabot Chychrun)

LHughes - LOCKED LD, top pp time probably some PK too maybe I’m guessing? Probably 20+ career TOI for the future

Hamilton - Costs you nearly 10 mil, and he’s good, he will not be playing 18min> a night LOCKED RD

Nemec - legitimately has a case to be the best drafted prospect in the league by some professional accounts, RD LOCKED - will also require special teams time if he is this good

Dougie LHughes Nemec all sharing PP time (FULL)
LH, Nemec probably get PK time for their future careers to bolster their development into cup winning d men.

Now we have Sieg taking 2LD and Marino taking “3rd” RD.
Marino isn’t bad but Probably would cost to trade to no? I’ve seen discourse around him.

Sieg is a solid defensive oriented player (isn’t he having a rough year?, can’t recall).
Both are “technically young” at 26 and locked in with deals.

So yeah he could be your 2LD but that offside and offside is not a perfect situation (we can look at Byram, he’s right there!!) unless he steals jobs which is good but that means a job is lost by someone else.

I’m talking perfect world here; devils wants

LHughes - Honestly, Nemec : elite pairing
Sieg - Hamilton : let hamtilon let loose
LD - RD : DZone oriented
(Marino currently that RD)

My rational here is you do not want Hamilton playing 3rd pair unless Casey is so good you’re trading him but you’re realistically hoping Casey is Hamilton level so that would almost be a step backwards for the Devils. And you do not want Casey to be a 3rd pair guy forever.

My only logic for the Devils is Casey’s value is arguably the highest it will ever be, not everyone is going to play like Nemec does when they step in.

Maybe Casey does… but upgrade your goaltending, upgrading depth somewhere like Defensive D or Defensive Forward or scoring depth, and maybe even another asset with 1 prospect.

Ottawa trades Chabot for Saros
Saros for Casey
Nash gets Chabot
(Literally an example of a framework)

I’m not saying the Devils can’t keep Casey and wait it out… I’m not saying Saros is available; just saying wouldn’t it be smart to explore. I want the Devils to succeed nearly as much as a Devils fan.

Don’t care for seeing a VGK 2-3 peat or another COL cup. Would be nice to see a new winner.

I think NJD are believers in Casey. Have taken him off the table before. Have had success drafting from US NTDP. One of our development coaches, Eric Weinrich, has weekly dinners with Casey in Ann Arbor. Just feels like we are developing the player, not the asset.

I also believe he gets miscast often as an offensive dman, when his game is very much a two-way game. People see under 6-foot, skates very well, puts up points, and just assume he doesn’t play defense. But his defense is good…and was deployed primarily as defensive dman on WJC team. And is first on the ice in up-a-goal situations at Michigan.

We could trade him someday, but his value will likely be even higher once he proves up a bit in pro game. We could also play him …on either side. Or we could trade someone else.
yikes liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Easton Cowen is nuts

30 game point streak (tied with Kyrou for 5th in OHL)

Tied for most SHG in OHL season with Amadio and Mangiapane
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:02 p.m.
mokumboi
So, has anyone noticed how all the celebrated "insiders" and their "inside info" got dramatically smashed against the rocks today?
Mar. 6 at 10:03 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: mokumboi
So, has anyone noticed how all the celebrated "insiders" and their "inside info" got dramatically smashed against the rocks today?

Elaborate
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:08 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Did it? Outside of Hanifin being linked to Tampa and then going to Vegas, seems like they were largely on the money
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:14 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
I actually think that Bo - Casey deal is not good for Buffalo. It’s fair in a vacuum imo, with all things considered - but Buffalo does not have plenty of LD space to give Byram a role to grow into. If Buffalo continues to play him on his offside or as a 3rd/ 4th LD… they may just not be able to bring him into his full potential.. which is what they’re clearly trading for.

Idk TBL did well with 3 strong LD remember Sergechev used to be behind Hedman and McDonagh

Byram can be eased back on the third pair and u can even out the ice more

Dahlin-Samuelsson
Power-Jokiharju
Byram-Clifton
EJ

The D pairs will likely be
Byram-Dahlin
Power-vet D
Samuelson-Clifton

I think jokiharju will be traded
yikes liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:18 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: IconicHawk
Elaborate

Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Did it? Outside of Hanifin being linked to Tampa and then going to Vegas, seems like they were largely on the money

Heh... did it seem like that? Name me one guy who had Walker to COL. or Mitts to COL. Or Tarasenko to FLA. And so on. Even guys like LeBrun entirely missed those boats. As well as the one where everyone goes to Toronto somehow. And yeah, Hanifin was a huge swing and a miss by the lot of them (as if Tampa has anything resembling the kind of trade capital that Hanifin cost).

The only one these guys had a whiff of is Henrique/Carrick, and they were listing half the playoff contenders for him. It was a BRUTAL day for all these clickbait clowns.
Mar. 6 at 10:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Name me one guy who had Walker to COL. or Mitts to COL. Or Tarasenko to FLA. And so on. Even guys like LeBrun entirely missed those boats. And yeah, Hanifin was a huge swing and a miss by the lot of them (as if Tampa has anything resembling the kind of trade capital that Hanifin cost).

The only one these guys had a whiff of is Henrique/Carrick, and they were listing half the playoff contenders for him. It was a BRUTAL day for all these clowns.

I did see some suggesting Mitts to Avs since they needed a C. Forget if it was NHL network or an Avs insider who talked about it. Heck I even predicted they would either target him or Frost as when u need a C why go for the oldies when 2 youngsters be sitting there

Hanifin I think the deals a bit more complex which is why its taking a bit of time. As I believe there was something about an extension and a third party in place
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:21 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Heh... did it seem like that? Name me one guy who had Walker to COL. or Mitts to COL. Or Tarasenko to FLA. And so on. Even guys like LeBrun entirely missed those boats. As well as the one where everyone goes to Toronto somehow. And yeah, Hanifin was a huge swing and a miss by the lot of them (as if Tampa has anything resembling the kind of trade capital that Hanifin cost).

The only one these guys had a whiff of is Henrique/Carrick, and they were listing half the playoff contenders for him. It was a BRUTAL day for all these clickbait clowns.

Weekes had Mitts for Byram
Pretty sure most people had Walker to COL
Everyone else had Tarasenko to FLA

My definition of an insider having a scoop is if they have the full deal before it's announced. And I'm pretty sure all the deals that you announced were all broken by insiders before the official accounts released them
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:22 p.m.
mokumboi
I did see some suggesting Mitts to Avs since they needed a C. Heck I even predicted they would either target him or Frost

In other words, you're a better insider than the whole lot of them? Seems to be the case. Maybe some suggested COL among the list of teams they talked about, but they were pushing every other center around besides Mitts hard to the Avs. Most of them didn't even mention him much at all.
Mar. 6 at 10:22 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I did see some suggesting Mitts to Avs since they needed a C. Forget if it was NHL network or an Avs insider who talked about it. Heck I even predicted they would either target him or Frost as when u need a C why go for the oldies when 2 youngsters be sitting there

Hanifin I think the deals a bit more complex which is why its taking a bit of time. As I believe there was something about an extension and a third party in place

Hanifin deal hold up is because of the need for a 3rd party retainer
Mar. 6 at 10:25 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: zk97
Weekes had Mitts for Byram
Pretty sure most people had Walker to COL
Everyone else had Tarasenko to FLA

My definition of an insider having a scoop is if they have the full deal before it's announced. And I'm pretty sure all the deals that you announced were all broken by insiders before the official accounts released them

Heh. Just for starters, I'm not talking about Weekes. He has proven time and again that he gets and shares legit info.

More to the point, you have a strange bar for what constitutes a "scoop". Getting the specific exchange right two minutes before its announced is not a scoop. Exactly nobody that I'm aware of even mentioned Walker to Colorado. Not a peep. Same with Vova to FLA. Not a peep.

It's so weird how everyone throws themselves in front of fire to protect these guys. They are habitually full of it by policy. They knowingly lie to everyone. Constantly.
Mar. 6 at 10:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: zk97
Hanifin deal hold up is because of the need for a 3rd party retainer

Yea I noticed. Wonder why CHI hasnt jumped on it
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:38 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Yea I noticed. Wonder why CHI hasnt jumped on it

They have Johnson & Beauvillier retention to worry about (or maybe Zaitsev but I doubt anyone takes him)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll