Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason

Created by: ColonelX
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 4, 2024
Published: Mar. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If Gallagher isn't happy about his usage here just buy him out before it becomes a team problem, if possible I'd like better to wait an extra year to save substantial money on the buyout (400Kish every year) but if he's unhappy and gonna throw a fit just get him out.

Signing Miller to cover for 7D sitting in the press box instead of a young guy like Harris that doesn't deserve it this early in his career.

Kent Johnson trade screams Kent Hughes.

Colorado trade isn't ideal for both teams but it does provide a veteran for Georgiev and a couples hudnred thousands of savings to COL while Montreal can likely retain on Johansen and find a trading partner (If this trade happens than the Armia trade doesn't to retain that last retention slot for Ryan)

Savard trade is fabulation but if the offer's on the table from Treviling just take it. No Miller signing if this trade isn't happening before FA 2024. Savard likely to be traded for the same return-ish (1st or 2nd+ like Tanev) at next TDL anyways.

Bridge deal for Xhekaj, short term for Barron and all three of Hutson, Engstrom and Reinbacher start the year in Laval with Mailloux, Trudeau and a newly signed AHL veteran.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
1$975,000
3$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Johansen, Ryan
Additional Details:
Plenty of middle six centers this summer could replace Ryan (Stephenson, Monahan, Wennberg, etc) so if he's on the block to clear cap space there can be a match.
COL
  1. Allen, Jake
Additional Details:
Trade happening either before TDL or through the 2024 offseason. Is Allen the best fit? Don't think so but with Francouz likely on his way out he could be a good way to cap switch with Ryan. Change of scenery, not being the extra guy in the net and playing for a better and more experienced team could help him bounce back into the .900's.
MTL
  1. 2026 4th round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Armia, Joel ($1,600,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Trevor Lewis out, reunite Armia for his last contract year with Bergy. He's not bad when he wants to compete and is obviously elite at puck protection and board battles.
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Savard, David ($1,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Brad said he was willing to move his first for a player with some term, Savard come on down! With 5 free agents on defense this summer and only Lyub and Lilly as native RHD I could see a fit there for minutes munching defense first guy. I know Tanev was sold for nothing but it's reported that Montreal only moves him if a 1st is in play because of his locker room presence.
MTL
  1. Johnson, Kent [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
New GM and likely new president are going to be in town, young players are likely to be moved therefore Kent is a prime candidate along with Jiricek.

Johnson has showed roughly the same output has Newhook before the trade so I expect a similar return. Forget Zegras if you aren't willing to move 2 of Hutson, Reinbacher, 2024 1st. Johnson is my consolation prize that can nicely fit in the middle six with veterans.
CBJ
  1. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
- Highest of the non Montreal 1st rounder the team might have by draft day.
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Hear me out, I don't think Harris is worth a 2nd round pick but dropping down 20ish spots for a young do-it-all "boring" defenseman with term and restriction status would be an ideal fit for Calgary. You don't want to go full rebuild, but having all 4 remaining LDs on the team being UFAs isn't ideal to say the least. Getting Harris, or any other young proven NHL caliber defender, is a good way to avoid overspending in FA and not rushing a prospect that isn't ready for a full time gig.
CGY
  1. Harris, Jordan
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Harris does seem to be the odd man out as we knew that with the amount of defenders some would have to be traded.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$66,502,917$1,022,500$3,977,500$16,997,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$897,500$897,500
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
RD
RFA
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 4 at 12:42 p.m.
not a he )
Quote:
New GM and likely new president are going to be in town, young players are likely to be moved therefore Kent is a prime candidate along with Jiricek

Source? Give me an example of that ever happening in league history. You know who gets moved out in rebuilds? Veterans. You know who doesn’t? Young players on ELC’s.

He just had labrum repair surgery and will be out indefinitely, rehabbing and training through summer and into fall. He’s not being moved. And certainly not for a joke offer like this. This kind of thing is why people hate Montreal fans.
Viqsi, JacketsComrade, benjgc and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 4 at 12:42 p.m.
mostly harmless
The answer on KJ-to-Montreal trades is still "no". Y'all don't have what we would want in return and the "overpower us with other assets" approach is more than you'd want to pay.

And the Jiricek comment is asinine at best. He's not going anywhere.
Mar. 4 at 1:11 p.m.
Francousz isn’t on his way out he is gone, as in LTIR and on a different continent.
Mar. 4 at 1:12 p.m.
kent doesn't even love u like that, montreal fans. if he wants to move its to detroit or vancouver.
benjgc liked this.
Mar. 4 at 1:15 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: squashmaple
Source? Give me an example of that ever happening in league history. You know who gets moved out in rebuilds? Veterans. You know who doesn’t? Young players on ELC’s.

He just had labrum repair surgery and will be out indefinitely, rehabbing and training through summer and into fall. He’s not being moved. And certainly not for a joke offer like this. This kind of thing is why people hate Montreal fans.

Yeah, new GM's don't do **** because they take time to do their own personnel evaluations before making any significative move. And this offer is under Newhook's price when it should be way over.

Please don't generalize fanbases. There is more Habs fans around here, so more chances to get bad ideas. As a Habs fan myself, I've got more blocked people from my omn fanbase than any others. Buffalo is close 2nd because Eichel wasn't worth 5x1st...

Would be easy to generalise Columbus fans if I see one bad idea, since you guys are like 3 in total. Cheers wink
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Mar. 4 at 2:58 p.m.
Matt1567
Quoting: squashmaple

Dach, but thats an exception rather than the rule, it's possible Kent Johnson is moved but unlikely, I wouldn't do it until Columbus get a competent coach that gives him a chance
AndrewPawlack liked this.
Mar. 4 at 3:24 p.m.
mostly harmless
Quoting: jpsnow13
Would be easy to generalise Columbus fans if I see one bad idea, since you guys are like 3 in total.

"I don't want to generalize Columbus fans because (proceeds to generalize Columbus fans)."

If you're trying to show goodwill you're not doing a very good job of it.
benjgc liked this.
Mar. 4 at 3:24 p.m.
Evans truther
Edited Mar. 4 at 3:52 p.m.
Yeah, new GM's don't do **** because they take time to do their own personnel evaluations before making any significative move. And this offer is under Newhook's price when it should be way over.

Please don't generalize fanbases. There is more Habs fans around here, so more chances to get bad ideas. As a Habs fan myself, I've got more blocked people from my omn fanbase than any others. Buffalo is close 2nd because Eichel wasn't worth 5x1st...

Would be easy to generalise Columbus fans if I see one bad idea, since you guys are like 3 in total. Cheers wink

Why be that nice to him, he's just being salty from the get go. The higher non Montreal pick could be around later teens/early 20s along with a 2nd for someone that's still(was) passing time in the AHL on a bottom 5 league roster. He's a good player thus why I'd trade for him but he ain't no superstar in the making either. Also changing agents early in a contract year... Wondering what's coming for him.
Mar. 4 at 3:32 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: Viqsi
"I don't want to generalize Columbus fans because (proceeds to generalize Columbus fans)."

If you're trying to show goodwill you're not doing a very good job of it.

I didn't say any of that.

It's a fact that there's a lot of Habs fans (in general and on this website), and very few of the Jackets. You don't like my statement? Sue me.
Mar. 4 at 3:37 p.m.
mostly harmless
I didn't say any of that.

It's a fact that there's a lot of Habs fans (in general and on this website), and very few of the Jackets. You don't like my statement? Sue me.

There's more than three in this very thread, hon.
Mar. 4 at 4:26 p.m.

Hey, I'm late, but all four of us are here now!! wink
jpsnow13 and Viqsi liked this.
Mar. 4 at 4:29 p.m.
There's literally more than one of these every day for KJ with the same picks going back and the same comments saying how ridiculous it is. If you really want KJ, who's had an atrocious year but still has incredible potential, it's MTL's unprotected 2024 1st. Otherwise we have no reason to move him, especially to a team that's also looking for high-quality potential at a similar point in the rebuild.
Viqsi liked this.
Mar. 4 at 5:00 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Oh look, another garbage KJ offer. For how big you Habs fans claim your base is you sure do suck at coming up with anything original among the lot of you. Start with the Habs 2024 1st and add from there if you want KJ. The Jackets aren't motivated to trade him for anything less.
CaseyFlyman and Viqsi liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll