Forums/NHL Trades

(VGK/WSH) - 2024 2nd (VGK), 2026 4th (VGK) for Mantha

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 5 at 8:03 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: mondo
20 goals and 34 points is good for someone who was written off as a cap dump. Shouldn't sell your own assets short if you want to make the most off of them.

Lol wtf are you talking about? He is scoring at .6ppg. Tarasenko is arguably better. Buchnevich Is available. Henrique Center /wing is also available. Guys like Eberle Zucker Duclair Smith are all available also. Capitals cashed it quick before teams started meeting their needs elsewhere. Mantha has been wildly inconsistent and this is his first good season since being in DC. Lol 1st would be a big ask and imo delusional.
AK50, LondonNight911, M_Swann and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 5 at 8:04 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
While Mantha has rebounded, a 2nd should’ve been more than enough for him with the retention. Caps win, but it’s not far off from a fair deal if Mantha keeps scoring and actually tries for Vegas. There are better options like Duclair, Tarasenko, Eberle or Granlund.
Mar. 5 at 8:20 p.m.
WentWughes
Vegas - Get's a middle 6 winger with goal scoring ability for 2nd + 4th. Seems like a great deal for then considering the prices apparently being asked.

Washington - Gets a 2nd + 4th for a guy who they were reportedly looking to dump at the beginning of the season for FC.

Overall fair deal, and crazy to see how Mantha has resurrected his career
Mar. 5 at 8:28 p.m.
Bedard23
This is a very weird trade
edeangel84 liked this.
Mar. 5 at 8:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Kingcong3930
They still have cap space for Guentzel? How?

LTIR

They got all of Stone's cap space to work with

Mantha only ate a bit of it they still got pleanty for Guentzel and ret 50% on him only costs 3m

Rn VGK have 4.4m in space hint hint
Mar. 5 at 8:48 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Great trade for VGK, Anthony Mantha is going to bring so much energy to that VGK offense.

As of WSH, tbh I don't really value the return that much. A late 2nd round pick basically has low chances of making into the NHL and neither does a 2026 6th round pick, just think they should have re-signed him instead.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 5 at 9:05 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: AfghaniMalkin
"should of?" That's the NJ education system for you lol.

thats cold....
Mar. 5 at 9:08 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Washington wins, Mantha is not worth that much and Washington recoups assets for a pending FA

winner or loser depends on how the season goes.
If you lose it's never worth it. No matter what the trade was.
If you win...... then it was probably worth it.
Time will tell.
Mar. 5 at 9:10 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Lol wtf are you talking about? He is scoring at .6ppg. Tarasenko is arguably better. Buchnevich Is available. Henrique Center /wing is also available. Guys like Eberle Zucker Duclair Smith are all available also. Capitals cashed it quick before teams started meeting their needs elsewhere. Mantha has been wildly inconsistent and this is his first good season since being in DC. Lol 1st would be a big ask and imo delusional.

Worse players have gone for more but if you want to sell your own assets short be my guest.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 5 at 9:21 p.m.
Imma give the W to Washington on this one.

Not that Vegas didn’t get a good deal, or anything like that. Eh, they can have a W too I guess. Is a cheap rental since they have the ltir.

Capitals got out infront of it and closed a deal that probably had a small window of opportunity - Manthas cap with retention is still kinda big - the longer they waited, the less room there would have been, and could have left them bag holding.
DogDayCaps2 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 5 at 9:59 p.m.
thats going to be a late 2nd and a 4th for a guy whose got 20 goals .... thats a steal. I wouldve thought the caps couldve got more for him.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 5 at 10:31 p.m.
down bad
Worse players have gone for more but if you want to sell your own assets short be my guest.

Better players have gone for less? Like what’s your point? There’s better players available. Seem like a very fair value. “Sell your own asset short” I’m not the GM guy. But I assume he’s not an idiot and understands the market and sold before Vegas turned their attention to other players. Lol 1st would have been great but gotta be realistic. Like why did you overpay for Lyubushkin? Better players have gone for that same price. You got Schenn for that price last year. Why did you only get a 5th for Lafferty? Paid more for him last year at the deadline. Why sell him so cheap?

Like anyone can make thoughtless claims but Mantha market value was a 2nd Capitals got a 4th on top. Great deal for both sides.
M_Swann liked this.
Mar. 5 at 10:33 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: retro
Great trade for VGK, Anthony Mantha is going to bring so much energy to that VGK offense.

As of WSH, tbh I don't really value the return that much. A late 2nd round pick basically has low chances of making into the NHL and neither does a 2026 6th round pick, just think they should have re-signed him instead.

Still can or they flip the 2nd for a different player.
retro liked this.
Mar. 5 at 10:54 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Caps win. A 2nd alone and I still would say they win. Adding a 4th as well even though it’s nothing fancy just adds some icing on the cake.
Mar. 5 at 11:33 p.m.
BEDSY
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
Fair deal I think.
VGK looking for some heavier bodies on the 3rd line maybe?
VGK still has 7 mil in cap space.

mantha most likely will be 2ns line because stone is injured
Mar. 6 at 12:10 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: MunchOnACookie
mantha most likely will be 2ns line because stone is injured

depends how long he is out and what else they aquire.
MunchOnACookie liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:36 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Better players have gone for less? Like what’s your point?

My point was I believe Mantha is undervalued and could've gotten more than a 2nd/4th, especially with retention. Not sure why you're so ansy about it and treating that thought like it's a sacrilegious thought.

Well, whatever. Sounds like it's for the best he's out of Washington given how Capitals fans view him.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 6 at 12:54 a.m.
down bad
My point was I believe Mantha is undervalued and could've gotten more than a 2nd/4th, especially with retention. Not sure why you're so ansy about it and treating that thought like it's a sacrilegious thought.

Well, whatever. Sounds like it's for the best he's out of Washington given how Capitals fans view him.

Thinking a player is worth a second isn’t the same as thinking he sucks. He had a great year compared to how he was playing. Being dramatic AF bc you are trying to glorify his trade value. 4 months ago he was a salary dump. They sold him before teams lost interest. Fair deal lol
Mar. 6 at 2:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Vegas paid too much for a player who is on an overpriced contract.

Ppl overrating late picks again.

They only paid a 2nd for a 20 goal scorer at half retention on an expiring deal. Mantha isn’t close to a cap dump. He turned his career around with great metrics.
This is far from an overpay when Monahan @ zero retention got a 1st plus.

I don’t see how you can’t be disappointed if you’re a Caps fan. Retention should have meant a 1st in return

Vegas can still trade for Guentzel with their 1sts intact and 4M plus in cap space that can handle Guentzel’s deal with a little retention from the Pens.

This is easily a Vegas win
Mar. 6 at 6:18 a.m.
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Ppl overrating late picks again.

They only paid a 2nd for a 20 goal scorer at half retention on an expiring deal...

I swear the 50% retention wasn't there when made that comment. it's a fair deal at 50% retention.
Mar. 6 at 9:58 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I would consider this a pretty "big" trade wink
Mar. 6 at 10:00 a.m.
lottery team fan
Quoting: AfghaniMalkin
"should of?" That's the NJ education system for you lol.

oooh
Mar. 6 at 10:28 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
And people declared Mantha a cap dump a few months back lol. How the turn tables........
Mar. 6 at 12:23 p.m.
Mantha ends up with more in return than Vladdy T. Thats wild to me.
Mar. 6 at 12:24 p.m.
Good sell for the caps

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit