SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

The NHL needs to change these things

Mar. 11 at 9:46 a.m.
Quoting: SharkTank
Get rid of national anthems before games.

Yes please
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:47 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
MTL fan here. Clear cut priority #1 should be to change the cap rules to make it state tax-adjusted. There will ne no parity in this league while Canadian teams have to pay a 20% premium to retain their stars - e.g. there's no way Matthew Tkachuk would have signed for less than 11M$/yr had he stayed in CGY.

I will say, your argument is not in the majority of what other community members have mentioned. Apparently this is a non-issue to the players for various reasons.
Mar. 11 at 9:48 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Xspyrit
1- already addressed by the lottery odds... now that the odds become all equal... don't think we'll see that because the goal of the league is parity

2- offer sheets are such a bad idea... even for rich teams, for smaller markets it's a disaster waiting to happen. If anything, they should discourage these even more

3- This doesn't make sense... Doctors make the call when the player is cleared for contact, they are under the Hippocratic Oath. Then the "get in shape" can vary and be at the team's discretion. It's either they continue like it is or adopt the same cap rules as during the season where you can't go over cap. But the NHLPA might not want to change this. In the end, players decide.

4- the current system is not extremely biased, it's just an advantage for a few teams, maybe have a "cap tax" or something but these are external factors to the league

5- The "play in" you're talking about is more a "Qualifying round", it's not a bad idea but can't see the league changing the 82 games seasons. There's a LOT of factors you and these commentators (usual lack of professionalism) are not considering, like every NHL team NEEDS these home games for revenues, even the ones who'd miss the qualifying rounds

Thanks for sharing a contrarian opinion. Some interesting food for thought.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Also, they are taxed where they play, 41 road games. Most have pretax investments too

Maybe in the US...and of course there are city income taxes in some US cities.
A friend of mine who worked in Toronto, had a house in Toronto, actually showed "his residence" in Alberta.....for lower taxes. That's how the Canadian tax system works..."Where you reside". Plus all the other delayed tax perks that athletes and entertainers have
One reason players want big upfront money for the season is for this season. For example, in July, t, players like Matthews will get a large chuck of his salary. Where is he residing? Arizona.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Maybe in the US...and of course there are city income taxes in some US cities.
A friend of mine who worked in Toronto, had a house in Toronto, actually showed "his residence" in Alberta.....for lower taxes. That's how the Canadian tax system works..."Where you reside". Plus all the other delayed tax perks that athletes and entertainers have
One reason players want big upfront money for the season is for this season. For example, in July, t, players like Matthews will get a large chuck of his salary. Where is he residing? Arizona.

The bonuses also guard against buyouts and work stoppages
palhal and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:50 a.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: TheeDjeeEem
It's not about odds.... it's about transparency in lottery "winning" process

What more transparent do you need?
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:52 a.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: palhal
The tax system adjustments don't really work., it's far complicatged Especially the players making over 1m, they don't pay personal income taxes as shown. They can adjust to their earnings to "their residence", not where they play or shelter the tax and don't have much income.
Never hear a Blue Jay or Raptor complain about signing or being traded to Toronto. But somehow it's a big issue on CapFriendly.

You actually hear about it all the time. NBA and MBL free agents rarely chose Toronto and money is one of the major issues
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:56 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
The LTIR rules obviously need to be adjusted

The lottery is fine now IMO, compensating the middle teams is counterproductive as the lower teams would have even less of a chance of moving up. For example, the Rangers never should have been allowed to draft Lafreniere. They were a middle team that literally played in the play-in round, then drafted 1st OA.

Offer sheets piss off teammates, GM's, owners, and fans. They should rightfully be allowed but I think the current price is fair.

I don't think the tax is as biased as you think, it only affects 50% of games each year for one thing, and I assume your issue is with Canadian teams getting "shafted." Well the players also get pay converted from USD.

Relating to comments about lottery odds enforcing parity, we are seeing teams purposely lose for half a season in order to improve lottery odds. There's not a lot of parity there.

If you factor in a Play-in round and give each of the bottom 12 teams equal lottery odds, it might strike a better balance.

We need to eliminate the draw for teams like Chicago and San Jose to intentionally lose.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 9:56 a.m.
Habs 2010
1) Easier said than done. I think one of the issues is that it's harder than ever to make the playoffs, so it's just a better strategy to tank for good players than to be stuck in no man's land. The play in series you mentioned at the end is the best solution in my opinion, and I like Elliot's idea: A 2 game series, a tie after 2 games goes to overtime. You would then have 20 teams playing additional hockey, the list of lottery teams would be shortened from 16 to 12.

2) No comment, offersheets are kind of taboo between GM's anyways.

3) Agreed, they need to do something regarding the LTIR loophole in the playoffs. In my opinion the solution is rather easy, if a player isn't activated off of LTIR (as a paper transaction whether he is healthy or not) then he isn't eligible to play in the playoffs. I mean even beer league hockey usually has a rule where a player has to play a minimum amount of games to be eligible for playoffs, Kucherov sat out an entire season and then lit up the playoffs straight from game 1... an absolute joke that was. Particularly because without that LTIR cap space TB would not have been able to retain Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak etc without making other moves.

4) I also agree, but how could you do it? You can't alter a player's salary depending on where they play. You could give bonus cap space to teams with more income tax - but is that really the NHL's problem or is it just something that city needs to deal with?
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:03 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Subbanator7667
You actually hear about it all the time. NBA and MBL free agents rarely chose Toronto and money is one of the major issues

Oh, I disagree, Blue Jays have done OK on the UFA market. Check so many US. based teams., who haven't been successful in attracting players. Of course with MLB, the kinda non cap, allows the rich teams to overpay for players Raptors not so much, as generally they have not been as competitive. But even teams that have attracted "the stars" don't necessarily have long term success either. The cap hurts them and basketball is somewhat like hockey, you need lots of good players to be successful, not just stars.
Mar. 11 at 10:04 a.m.
On the Rod Meal Plan
I'll add that increased offersheets, even if the compensation were lower, will likely never happen as:
1) They are seen as incredibly hostile moves, and most of these GMs want to make future trades with each other
2) The more realistic reason is that RFA status keeps costs down for owners, as @littlejerryseinfeld says, and players will only sign offersheets that are much larger contracts. This is both bad for GMs who want to keep salaries down to fit within the cap, and has the additional cost of raising contracts across the league, which 32 very rich people do not want.
jonh514 liked this.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Shanesaw9
1) Easier said than done. I think one of the issues is that it's harder than ever to make the playoffs, so it's just a better strategy to tank for good players than to be stuck in no man's land. The play in series you mentioned at the end is the best solution in my opinion, and I like Elliot's idea: A 2 game series, a tie after 2 games goes to overtime. You would then have 20 teams playing additional hockey, the list of lottery teams would be shortened from 16 to 12.

2) No comment, offersheets are kind of taboo between GM's anyways.

3) Agreed, they need to do something regarding the LTIR loophole in the playoffs. In my opinion the solution is rather easy, if a player isn't activated off of LTIR (as a paper transaction whether he is healthy or not) then he isn't eligible to play in the playoffs. I mean even beer league hockey usually has a rule where a player has to play a minimum amount of games to be eligible for playoffs, Kucherov sat out an entire season and then lit up the playoffs straight from game 1... an absolute joke that was. Particularly because without that LTIR cap space TB would not have been able to retain Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak etc without making other moves.

4) I also agree, but how could you do it? You can't alter a player's salary depending on where they play. You could give bonus cap space to teams with more income tax - but is that really the NHL's problem or is it just something that city needs to deal with?

1) The mix of a play-in and equal odds for the bottom 12 teams makes the most sense to me. We cannot have Chicago and San Jose get rewarded for intentionally losing. The draw needs to be removed.

2) The media circus is important to draw attention to the game which is losing ground to MLS in the US. We need to grow the game and that means more personality in the superstar players and more media. GMs and owners should understand that.

3) Your suggestion punishes teams too harshly and hurts players who are genuinely injured. A waiting period is more fair. The 1st round of the playoffs is by far the most competitive, so teams would be discouraged enough from sheltering their star players until round 2.

4) Seems like there is evidence this does not matter to the players.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Quoting: jonh514
Thanks for sharing a contrarian opinion. Some interesting food for thought.

Nothing contrarian about this, it's based on reality

Like money factors are going to weight a lot more than fans feelings, for example.
Mar. 11 at 10:06 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
I'll add that increased offersheets, even if the compensation were lower, will likely never happen as:
1) They are seen as incredibly hostile moves, and most of these GMs want to make future trades with each other
2) The more realistic reason is that RFA status keeps costs down for owners, as littlejerryseinfeld says, and players will only sign offersheets that are much larger contracts. This is both bad for GMs who want to keep salaries down to fit within the cap, and has the additional cost of raising contracts across the league, which 32 very rich people do not want.

1) The media circus grows the game. It's important that the players show more personality and that the owners and GMs are supportive of that. Star players should choose where they play and move around more often.
Mar. 11 at 10:07 a.m.
3) Implement a 1 series waiting period for players on LTIR to rejoin their teams in the playoffs

4) Find a way to factor the local effective tax rate into the Salary Cap. Currently the system is extremely biased

these have merit, and should be disscussed further
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:12 a.m.
Get rid of hard cap; punitive and actively hurting the league’s chances of growth. I suggest allowing teams to spend over cap (say 10% max) but it has to be tied to revenue. So the more popular teams have an advantage because Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Avs, Oilers & Bruins (etc) generate 👀 which improve overall ratings which grows the game. Smaller markets also have a chance to be competitive because there is still a cap (albeit more flexible than current hard cap) & revenue sharing
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:14 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: MitchJr
Get rid of hard cap; punitive and actively hurting the league’s chances of growth. I suggest allowing teams to spend over cap (say 10% max) but it has to be tied to revenue. So the more popular teams have an advantage because Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Avs, Oilers & Bruins (etc) generate 👀 which improve overall ratings which grows the game. Smaller markets also have a chance to be competitive because there is still a cap (albeit more flexible than current hard cap) & revenue sharing

Interesting. That's a new one. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think this would impact parity?
Mar. 11 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: TheeDjeeEem
It's not about odds.... it's about transparency in lottery "winning" process

I'm interested to see how the PWHL format works. Maybe it could be a better format in the future for the NHL. It gives teams a reason to keep playing to win. Mind you, I don't think the players care about securing a top pick in the draft, but it would certainly encourage GM's to not strip their teams bare in order to improve their lottery odds.

I do think the process is now much better in the NHL than it was before. I like that we can't have a situation like we did before when Edmonton was winning every lottery.
jonh514 and Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:21 a.m.
Interesting. That's a new one. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think this would impact parity?

Lots of leagues around the world and the only one with a hard cap is the NFL, which I guess the NHL is trying to emulate. But NFL is a juggernaut which can’t be replicated. NBA, MLB, EPL all know that most popular teams and players drive the numbers, not parity.
So - yes parity would be impacted, but hopefully there is a way to allow smaller market teams to be competitive but still facilitate biggest teams making later rounds of playoffs more often than not. Because Rangers vs Kings or Leafs vs
Oilers or Habs vs Avs finals would generate a lot more 👀 than Canes vs Preds imo
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:21 a.m.
love #3.

Get rid of cap shenanigans. whats the point of a cap if you can hide players on it until playoffs.
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:23 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
I have no problem with the national anthems, what annoys me (especially when I was at a game live) was the virtue-signalling that they constantly beat you over the head with.
I disagree with the play-in playoff round, it devalues the playoffs by rewarding mediocre teams and blurs the lines between playoffs and regular season.
The 1 series waiting period for players to come off LTIR is a good one, but one I would suggest would be play in the last x number of regular season games to be eligible for the playoffs. That would force teams to be cap compliant (since it’s regular season) and prevent them from stashing stars on LTIR
TheeDjeeEem and jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:28 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: MitchJr
Lots of leagues around the world and the only one with a hard cap is the NFL, which I guess the NHL is trying to emulate. But NFL is a juggernaut which can’t be replicated. NBA, MLB, EPL all know that most popular teams and players drive the numbers, not parity.
So - yes parity would be impacted, but hopefully there is a way to allow smaller market teams to be competitive but still facilitate biggest teams making later rounds of playoffs more often than not. Because Rangers vs Kings or Leafs vs
Oilers or Habs vs Avs finals would generate a lot more 👀 than Canes vs Preds imo

I agree. I think the NHL would have the most viewership in the finals this year if it was Leafs vs Oilers. I know that sounds incredibly biased because I’m a Leafs fan, but I think it’s true.
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:36 a.m.
Matt1567
i like the concept the PWHL is using for their draft order, where once a team is mathematically eliminated they try to get as many points as possible, with the top "x" number of teams in the eliminated standings getting the top "x" picks, "x" being the number of picks determined by the system.

Another idea I thought of recently would be dividing LTIR into 2 categories, LTIR and SIR. SEIR (Season Ending Injury Reserve) would be for player that won't play again that season, teams would get full relief of their salaries from the cap but the player wouldn't be eligible to play until the following season, mainly for the guys that are essentially retired but remain on LTIR to get their salary still, while LTIR would remain the same but teams only get 50% of the players salary relieved from their cap, (aka a 9.5 mil cap hit on LTIR gives the team 4.75 mil to replace said player), because the entire point of LTIR is if a player is out long-term for their team to be able to replace them while they're unavailable, which is what teams like Vegas are doing but they've found the loophole which they can keep players out until the playoffs when the cap no longer matters and then be way over the cap. It wouldn't completely remove the loophole, but it would make it harder for a team to go into the playoffs with a fully healthy roster that's 15 million over the cap. The simple solution is to make teams be cap compliant during the playoffs, but I don't think that'll happen.
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 11 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsForLife
I agree. I think the NHL would have the most viewership in the finals this year if it was Leafs vs Oilers. I know that sounds incredibly biased because I’m a Leafs fan, but I think it’s true.

Parity has its merits (I’m not arguing MLB type system where Pirates are already out of it) but obsession with it is hurting the NHL. Have to find a way to ensure some level of parity and fairness but when Canes (as an example) can spend same amount of money as Leafs (or any of the top revenue generating teams) while generating significantly less revenue to the league, that system is not fair. But more importantly, it’s limiting growth of the league. NHL is not the NFL so copying their system was major mistake imo but Bettman cared more about punishing players than growing the league. NBA has grown exponentially more than NHL is past years /decades 🤷🏻
Mar. 11 at 10:38 a.m.
Relating to comments about lottery odds enforcing parity, we are seeing teams purposely lose for half a season in order to improve lottery odds. There's not a lot of parity there.

If you factor in a Play-in round and give each of the bottom 12 teams equal lottery odds, it might strike a better balance.

We need to eliminate the draw for teams like Chicago and San Jose to intentionally lose.

I think you have this pretty backwards. The draw for teams not to intentionally lose is that the league is still gate driven in terms of revenue and most owners are cheapskates. Not being willing to bottom out because "anything can happen if you make the playoffs" is in my opinion the problem. I think there should 100% be a lottery for the top pick(s) in the draft but there is nothing you can say that will convince me the team that finished 12th last should have an equal shot at getting 1st OA. I think right now where they have a 0% chance of drafting 1st OA is far better. I remember a few years ago when Detroit was just simply a bad team and ended up with the 4th OA pick because they had over a 50% chance of picking 4th with the best odds at getting 1st. To me that is just ridiculous and I am glad they changed it

San Jose, however is not intentionally losing games. They exhausted every resource they had for like 2 decades to try and win the cup. They have simply become a genuine bad team due to inflated aging contracts. Chicago tanked a little bit but they were contending for years, throwing assets out the door to stay in contention.

The problem with tanking is that you can end up like Buffalo and be perpetually at the bottom for a decade.
EHMatt and jonh514 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll