LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Saskleaf
My favourites team names:
5. Salt Lake Stags
4. Utah Blizzard
3. Salt Lake Stingers
2. Utah Yeti
1. Utah Coyotes

SLC is 49% Mormon. I like the name "Sister Wives". Bettman would be happy. It would be "inclusive" of women.
Apr. 12 at 12:15 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: palhal
SLC is 49% Mormon. I like the name "Sister Wives". Bettman would be happy. It would be "inclusive" of women.

It’s a funny idea, made me laugh but I mean come on, it’s obviously not happening lol
Apr. 12 at 6:15 a.m.

Nonsense.

SLC is about one-third LDS. The state is about 60% LDS.

The vibe in SLC is not same as say, Provo, where BYU is located, which is more heavily Mormon. SLC has a more diverse group of people and probably also includes a higher percentage of “Jack Mormons” (non-practicing Mormons).

Regardless, Bigamy/Polygamy is illegal in Utah for a century and a half. It is seen has a crime in Utah, just like any other state. It’s not something one ever sees or hears about in the state unless you cross paths with one of a few, small fundamentalists groups that are in rural areas (and make up about 0.1% of overall LDS population).

But based on where our culture and society are, for some reason, many feel like anti-Mormon hate is acceptable (while antisemitism, Islamophobia are not). None of it is okay.

Now LDS is least liked religious group in US per recent Pew study.

Be better, people.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 8:28 a.m.
It's very interesting to look at the WC race in the east

NYI 89 points, 3 games left ( NYR, Devils, Pens so 3 hard games)
Pittsburgh 86 points, 3 games left ( Boston, Nashville, NYI, again 3 hard games)
Washington 85 points, 3 games left ( Tampa, Boston, Philly, 3 hard games)
Detroit 85 points, 3 games left ( Toronto, Montreal, Montreal so 1 hard game, 2 easy games)
Philly 85 points, 2 games left ( NJ, Washington, 2 hard games)

I think NYI and Detroit are the 2 teams, Detroit has 2 easy games vs Montreal and NYI already has an inside track

Btw all 5 of those teams play on the 13th so that's going to be some probably good hockey as they all try to win their games and hope the others lose
Apr. 12 at 9:35 a.m.
Edited Apr. 12 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Nonsense.

The vibe in SLC is not same as say, Provo, where BYU is located, which is more heavily Mormon. SLC has a more diverse group of people and probably also includes a higher percentage of “Jack Mormons” (non-practicing Mormons).

Regardless, Bigamy/Polygamy is illegal in Utah for a century and a half. It is seen has a crime in Utah, just like any other state. It’s not something one ever sees or hears about in the state unless you cross paths with one of a few, small fundamentalists groups that are in rural areas (and make up about 0.1% of overall LDS population).

But based on where our culture and society are, for some reason, many feel like anti-Mormon hate is acceptable (while antisemitism, Islamophobia are not). None of it is okay.

Be better, people.

I think a lot of angst about certain large groups is simply because they’re just hedge funds exploiting tax code and the population to further selfish interests. The day the Mormon church dissolves Ensign Peak Advisors is the day I respect them. Until then, a spade is a spade. As it turns out in this case, the spade is one of the top 5 largest private investment firms globally.

Funny how hard it is to separate money and religion. Almost like one is a tool to get the other. I wonder how much the portfolio holdings influence religious teaching. (Spoiler: 100%)
palhal liked this.
Apr. 12 at 9:41 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It's very interesting to look at the WC race in the east

NYI 89 points, 3 games left ( NYR, Devils, Pens so 3 hard games)
Pittsburgh 86 points, 3 games left ( Boston, Nashville, NYI, again 3 hard games)
Washington 85 points, 3 games left ( Tampa, Boston, Philly, 3 hard games)
Detroit 85 points, 3 games left ( Toronto, Montreal, Montreal so 1 hard game, 2 easy games)
Philly 85 points, 2 games left ( NJ, Washington, 2 hard games)

I think NYI and Detroit are the 2 teams, Detroit has 2 easy games vs Montreal and NYI already has an inside track

Btw all 5 of those teams play on the 13th so that's going to be some probably good hockey as they all try to win their games and hope the others lose

I don't see Montreal as an "easy game"; they've been playing really good hockey. Many of the contenders start resting their stars this time of the year too so the gap narrows in the final week.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Apr. 12 at 10:43 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Nonsense.

Be better, people.

I’m not Mormon, as a Christian I believe they are not real Christians, but it’s definitely true that they get subjected to a lot of unnecessary hate. Disagreement based on religion or hating a religion is perfectly ok. Hating the people in that religion is not.
palhal liked this.
Apr. 12 at 10:53 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’m not Mormon, as a Christian I believe they are not real Christians, but it’s definitely true that they get subjected to a lot of unnecessary hate. Disagreement based on religion or hating a religion is perfectly ok. Hating the people in that religion is not.

Gee, I seem to upset a few folk with my "joke". But others (like yourself) just gave an a valid personal opinion.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 11:54 a.m.
Go leafs go
Gee, I seem to upset a few folk with my "joke". But others (like yourself) just gave an a valid personal opinion.

Yah lol, I think jokes based on religion are fine as long as they aren’t attacking like the people of the religion. I thought yours was funny
A_Habs_fan and BigBallsBriere liked this.
Apr. 12 at 12:42 p.m.
Habs fan somehow
As a Habs fan, hearing the owner saying he wants his team not only to get in the playoffs but to be a powerhouse is one of the nicest things.
Apr. 12 at 12:58 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
As a Habs fan, hearing the owner saying he wants his team not only to get in the playoffs but to be a powerhouse is one of the nicest things.

It's almost like every owner wants their team to be a powerhouse...
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 12:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: gm_jeanguy

I mean whats the owner supposed to say

I want my team to suck, **** em I just want the money from fans in the stadium

General Business 101. I want my team to be ABC
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 1:53 p.m.
What happens if mark stone is medically cleared to play prior to the end of the season? Nothing, right?
Apr. 12 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
What happens if mark stone is medically cleared to play prior to the end of the season? Nothing, right?

It depends. many players on playoff teams are taking rest days/maintenance days so as not to aggravate or risk further injury prior to playoffs. There is common "if it were a playoff game, he'd play" happening all over right now: see Connor McDavid. If there is medical evidence that Stone is past that point (doubtful given his injury) then the league could investigate for Salary Cap circumvention.
Apr. 12 at 2:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Doubt hes gonna be ready as VGK has a game tonight then has 3 more of which their season ends next Thursday

Lacerated Spleens take 2-3 months to heal and he was out since Feb 20

So if we go by that he would be medically cleared by April 20 to actually play

Can practice skate with non contact but anymore could risk the injury reaggravating
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 12 at 4:20 p.m.
Edited Apr. 12 at 4:30 p.m.
Let’s just say: it’s fantasy land and in this place Mark Stone is cleared to play in the nhl prior to the final day of the season, and that he has to be activated off ltir because he is no longer injured. In this fantasy, the NHL office 100% believes that a ploy is in place so that Vegas can avoid cap compliance through manipulation of recovery times. (I acknowledge this is most likely not the case today).

Any guesses at:

What actual remedy would Vegas have to become cap compliant: Would they be forced to trade a player? Or is there something they could do roster wise to make this work?

What possible ways could the league render punishment? Just ding them a draft pick and move on? Let them play out the playoffs in the fantasy environment where they’ve failed to be cap complaint by like 8 milly?

We’ve seen punishments for negotiating with other teams players, and we’ve seen punishments for writing contracts that are cap circumvention, but I don’t think we’ve seen “team making player be LTIR when they are not” punishment. And it isn’t like there is a whole off season to consider these things: If this fantasy scenario occured, there’s like a week to make a decision.

I can think of a dozen times a player returned to play prior to estimated recovery times. I’d almost suggest that a player who has gone through numerous long recovery periods has become experienced at it, should be better than average.

Google says this, I haven’t read the source:

“NHL teams that violate the salary cap can face fines of up to $5 million, contract cancellations, loss of draft picks, loss of points, and/or forfeiture of games.“
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 12 at 5:28 p.m.
Let’s just say: it’s fantasy land and in this place Mark Stone is cleared to play in the nhl prior to the final day of the season, and that he has to be activated off ltir because he is no longer injured. In this fantasy, the NHL office 100% believes that a ploy is in place so that Vegas can avoid cap compliance through manipulation of recovery times. (I acknowledge this is most likely not the case today).

Any guesses at:

What actual remedy would Vegas have to become cap compliant: Would they be forced to trade a player? Or is there something they could do roster wise to make this work?

What possible ways could the league render punishment? Just ding them a draft pick and move on? Let them play out the playoffs in the fantasy environment where they’ve failed to be cap complaint by like 8 milly?

We’ve seen punishments for negotiating with other teams players, and we’ve seen punishments for writing contracts that are cap circumvention, but I don’t think we’ve seen “team making player be LTIR when they are not” punishment. And it isn’t like there is a whole off season to consider these things: If this fantasy scenario occured, there’s like a week to make a decision.

I can think of a dozen times a player returned to play prior to estimated recovery times. I’d almost suggest that a player who has gone through numerous long recovery periods has become experienced at it, should be better than average.

Google says this, I haven’t read the source:

“NHL teams that violate the salary cap can face fines of up to $5 million, contract cancellations, loss of draft picks, loss of points, and/or forfeiture of games.“

In this hypothetical scenario, Vegas would likely be forced to trade, if they don’t, I would expect them to lose their playoff spot to STL, lose draft picks and get a fine
Apr. 12 at 8:44 p.m.
mokumboi
Don't look now, but Zack Bolduc has goals in three straight games now. Neighbours picked up a knock and Bolduc has stepped straight into his spot.
Apr. 12 at 10:07 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Kind of a shame that Josh Doan won't be able to follow in his father's footsteps in the desert.

Also wonder if there will be a mass exodus of trade requests due to managerial distrust / not wanting to live in Utah. It'll be an interesting offseason, I only hope they have good jersey kits 🤞
zk97, Saskleaf and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 12 at 10:14 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Kind of a shame that Josh Doan won't be able to follow in his father's footsteps in the desert.

Also wonder if there will be a mass exodus of trade requests due to managerial distrust / not wanting to live in Utah. It'll be an interesting offseason, I only hope they have good jersey kits 🤞

I've heard only really good things about Utah as a place. My dad has been too 48/50 states, and has always said Utah is in his top 5. And I think the distrust is of ownership and ownership will be new. not really management. Billy came clean to the players.

TBH, for the team this is a really good thing. Armstrong will have permissions to spend to cap, players will have a ownership that is dedicated to winning, Utah is pretty nice.

Sucks for the fans, I'm not sure what i'd do. I'd probably still root for the team because of the players, but it's certaintly depressing. it sounds like they'll get a team eventually again though, so they should have to wait too long.
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 12 at 10:40 p.m.
So happy the Arizona drama is finally being put to rest next week when the Coyotes move to Salt Lake.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 11:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: BigBallsBriere
I've heard only really good things about Utah as a place. My dad has been too 48/50 states, and has always said Utah is in his top 5. And I think the distrust is of ownership and ownership will be new. not really management. Billy came clean to the players.

TBH, for the team this is a really good thing. Armstrong will have permissions to spend to cap, players will have a ownership that is dedicated to winning, Utah is pretty nice.

Sucks for the fans, I'm not sure what i'd do. I'd probably still root for the team because of the players, but it's certaintly depressing. it sounds like they'll get a team eventually again though, so they should have to wait too long.

I have no doubt Utah is a great state. Salt Lake City is beautiful, but these players were expecting to be in Arizona and are being relocated with little heads up. Also, I was referring to the ownership when I said "managerial distrust", I'm a big Bill Armstrong fan
BigBallsBriere and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12 at 11:07 p.m.
Here are the 2023-24 NCAA All American Teams. Of last years first team, 10-of-12 have played in NHL, one signed today (Hutson).

First Team East
F: Jacob Fowler, FR, Boston College
D: Lane Hutson, SO, Boston University*
D: Ryan Ufko, JR, UMass
F: Macklin Celebrini, FR, Boston University
F: Cutter Gauthier, SO, Boston College
F: Will Smith, FR, Boston College

First Team West
G: Kaidan Mbereko, SO, Colorado College
D: Zeev Buium, FR, Denver
D: Seamus Casey, SO, Michigan
F: Jackson Blake, SO, North Dakota
F: Gavin Brindley, SO, Michigan
F: Jack Devine, JR, Denver

Second Team East
G: Ian Shane, JR, Cornell
D: Gianfranco Cassaro, GR, RIT
D: John Prokop, SO, Union
F: Collin Graf, JR, Quinnipiac*
F: Ryan Leonard, FR, Boston College
F: Liam McLinskey, JR, Holy Cross
F: Gabe Perreault, FR, Boston College

Second Team West
G: Kyle McClellan, SR, Wisconsin
D: Dylan Anhorn, GR, St. Cloud State
D: Artyom Levshunov, FR, Michigan State
F: Noah Laba, SO, Colorado College
F: Rutger McGroarty, SO, Michigan
F: Massimo Rizzo, JR, University of Denver#

Only real surprises are Mbereko over McClellan for 1st team, McLinskey (over Quillan), Cassaro (over Powell, Morrow, Bookman)
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 13 at 2:01 a.m.
Go leafs go

I’m really interested to see what the new brand is (though I’ll say it again I would not mind them just keeping the coyotes name, I think it works well). Yetis could really have some cool jerseys
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 13 at 7:57 a.m.
I have no doubt Utah is a great state. Salt Lake City is beautiful, but these players were expecting to be in Arizona and are being relocated with little heads up. Also, I was referring to the ownership when I said "managerial distrust", I'm a big Bill Armstrong fan

I think it would be hard to distrust a new ownership group that just paid a boatload of cash to move the team to Utah, I’d probably be excited to finally get all the AZ drama out

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll