Forums/Armchair-GM

Off-season GM scenario - Necas

Created by: CertifiedAverage
Team: 2024-25 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 27, 2024
Published: Mar. 27, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Scenario for the off-season. The new GM feels that CBJ need something extra in the top 6. Particularly in the playmaking department. He sets his sights on Necas. The trade occurs after the draft.

Reasons for Carolina to do the trade:
- Cap space to sign other players.
- They need scoring. In this deal, they get a young sniper in Chinakhov with high potential who will provide excellent goal-scoring ability. I would include Laine, but it makes no sense at all for Columbus to trade him at his current value.
- They get a good offensive top 4 LD in Provorov for a low cap hit. They have the option to re-sign or trade him.
- They get a young D prospect in Ceulemans. He hasn't exactly impressed in Cleveland. Maybe Carolina can make better use of him.
- A 2025 1st rounder (top 10 protected).
- A 2026 4th rounder.

I based the trade on the Tkachuk trade. Necas does not have quite the same value as Tkachuk. Chinakhov does not have nearly the same value as Huberdeau did. Provorov's value should be roughly equivalent to Weegar's (considering cap hit as well). A 1st and a prospect rounds it out. In the Tkachuk trade, Florida also sent back a 4th round pick. I added a 3rd rounder from Columbus instead.

As usual, any feedback from Carolina (and Columbus) fans would be great. I assume I'm way off. Please suggest improvements.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
1$800,000
3$800,000
2$2,400,000
6$6,405,000
2$2,260,000
2$1,500,000
7$7,255,000
Trades
FLA
  1. Bean, Jake [RFA Rights]
CBJ
SJS
  1. Merzlikins, Elvis
  2. 2024 5th round pick (CBJ)
NSH
  1. Boqvist, Adam
  2. 2024 4th round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
PHI
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
CAR
  1. Ceulemans, Corson
  2. Chinakhov, Yegor [RFA Rights]
  3. Provorov, Ivan ($2,362,500 retained)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (CBJ)
  5. 2026 3rd round pick (CBJ)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$82,769,166$0$4,950,000$4,930,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,255,000$7,255,000
RW
RFA
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
C
RFA - 2
$6,405,000$6,405,000
RW
RFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, C
RFA
$925,000$925,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,260,000$2,260,000
C
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 1
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 27 at 11:16 a.m.
mostly harmless
I would be well and truly amazed if we could pick up Knight and dump Elvis that easily.

Also, I don't think that Lauzon deal is in the Preds' best interests.
Mar. 27 at 11:19 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Listen, Necas is an extremely talented player and I would like the Canes to re-sign him. However, if real GMs in the NHL value him as highly as ACGMs on CF do, he will be moved without hesitation by the Canes.
Mar. 27 at 11:19 a.m.
Nah.
Intriguing FLA trade; but, I don't think FLA moves away from Knight for that little.

SJ, nor any team, is going to commit an act of charity for CBJ and take on Elvis for that little. Any good GM is going to make it hurt. I'd be willing to retain and ship him off elsewhere (I mean, I guess maybe SJ or AZ take him on just to hit the cap floor?), but still dont think CBJ get off so easily.

I'm not so sold on Necas. I'd have concern on his ability to produce outside of CAR's system, and throwing that much term and dollars at him before putting on a CBJ sweater would make me nervous. Not to mention, I'm not moving the '25 1st without heavy protections. This is a better team, sure, but I'm not comfortable calling this a playoff team yet.
Mar. 27 at 11:23 a.m.
I’m curious to see canes fans response. A Necas trade would hurt but this seems like a ton to give up. I really don’t like the idea of moving chinakhov, but I’m sure the canes would demand he or marchenko be apart of the move.

Personally I would rather stay the course, move provorov at the draft for a first and roll with a similar forward group next year with maybe the addition of a top 6 center (lindholm, monahan etc) that can be had in free agency.
Overall pretty well thought out. Nice job.
CertifiedAverage liked this.
Mar. 27 at 11:27 a.m.
This is something Carolina probably don't even listen to. IF (and it is an if) Necas goes anywhere, it's going to be for an offensive upgrade. Columbus don't have that. Otherwise, it's going to be EXTREMELY expensive. I'm talking more along the lines of Johnson, Sillinger and Chinakov instead of Chinakov, Ceulemans, and a cap dump. You have to understand, the picks don't interest Carolina. This is a team that knows it's not far away from a cup. You're buying from a contender, so the major attraction will be pieces that help the roster win now
Canesfan21_ liked this.
Mar. 27 at 11:28 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Pretty sure the Canes would rather have Marchenko than Chinakhov. Package as it stands doesn’t really help the Canes that much right now when it comes to replacing Necas’ offense. CC is a decent prospect, but I have my doubts on whether or not he will be any better than Jake Bean. Provorov at 2 and change would be decent for a 3LD role, but if I had to hazard a guess, that would be why the Canes picked up Ty Smith in the Guentzel trade.

The Canes have enough cap flexibility to sign Necas, as well as Jarvis and Guentzel, so it’s unlikely they move Necas without being blown away by an offer.
Mar. 27 at 11:49 a.m.
For the Necas trade:

On one hand, we're essentially giving up 4 1sts, one of which could be top-10 still, plus a 3rd and retaining salary, to a division rival for a player who's a major unknown in our system.

On the other hand, Carolina is giving up a critical piece for a RD that seems to be bottoming out, a LD that's struggled everywhere he's played, a mystifying middle-6 winger who likely doesn't approach Necas' production, and a 1st that could be middle of the round.

You can really slice it either way, and that's a huge risk. I just don't think Columbus should be taking those risks right now. We're coming off a lost season under a rookie coach that isn't working with a team built by a lame-duck GM who clearly had no long-term plan, with our top prospect out for essentially the season and one of our top wingers in the PAP. I don't think we should be trading anyone under the age of 25 until we know what they can do in a stable system, and we certainly shouldn't be trading one of our own firsts in the next 2 years.

Provorov needs to go. Elvis needs to go. The rest can be sorted through next season.

Per the other trades, SJ doesn't entertain that with Blackwood and Vanecek under contract next season, I doubt the Knight trade improves our (young) goalie system (I'd rather see a vet signing), and the Preds don't look to move a guy who was flirting with a hits record and on a great deal on one of the best teams in the league in 2024.
SK101 and CertifiedAverage liked this.
Mar. 27 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
This is something Carolina probably don't even listen to. IF (and it is an if) Necas goes anywhere, it's going to be for an offensive upgrade. Columbus don't have that. Otherwise, it's going to be EXTREMELY expensive. I'm talking more along the lines of Johnson, Sillinger and Chinakov instead of Chinakov, Ceulemans, and a cap dump. You have to understand, the picks don't interest Carolina. This is a team that knows it's not far away from a cup. You're buying from a contender, so the major attraction will be pieces that help the roster win now

Yeah no chance the jackets do that. Necas is good but idk if he’s even worth the proposed package above let alone sillinger, chinakhov and KJ. He has regressed this year and would be putting up even less points in the jackets system. Not to mention he needs a new contract while the guys you want will be much more affordable.
Mar. 27 at 11:57 a.m.
Just stay the course with the rebuild. Trade provorov for a first and let’s see how the rest of the prospects pan out. Necas is not a player you give up all these assets for. Especially young, cost controlled ones. Jackets are a lot more than just Necas away from competing for a playoff spot so there’s no sense in giving up this much to get him
Mar. 27 at 12:00 p.m.
Edited Mar. 27 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
Listen, Necas is an extremely talented player and I would like the Canes to re-sign him. However, if real GMs in the NHL value him as highly as ACGMs on CF do, he will be moved without hesitation by the Canes.

Quoting: dopplsan
Intriguing FLA trade; but, I don't think FLA moves away from Knight for that little.

SJ, nor any team, is going to commit an act of charity for CBJ and take on Elvis for that little. Any good GM is going to make it hurt. I'd be willing to retain and ship him off elsewhere (I mean, I guess maybe SJ or AZ take him on just to hit the cap floor?), but still dont think CBJ get off so easily.

I'm not so sold on Necas. I'd have concern on his ability to produce outside of CAR's system, and throwing that much term and dollars at him before putting on a CBJ sweater would make me nervous. Not to mention, I'm not moving the '25 1st without heavy protections. This is a better team, sure, but I'm not comfortable calling this a playoff team yet.

Quoting: Friendly_Cannon
I’m curious to see canes fans response. A Necas trade would hurt but this seems like a ton to give up. I really don’t like the idea of moving chinakhov, but I’m sure the canes would demand he or marchenko be apart of the move.

Personally I would rather stay the course, move provorov at the draft for a first and roll with a similar forward group next year with maybe the addition of a top 6 center (lindholm, monahan etc) that can be had in free agency.
Overall pretty well thought out. Nice job.

Quoting: evelutions2
Pretty sure the Canes would rather have Marchenko than Chinakhov. Package as it stands doesn’t really help the Canes that much right now when it comes to replacing Necas’ offense. CC is a decent prospect, but I have my doubts on whether or not he will be any better than Jake Bean. Provorov at 2 and change would be decent for a 3LD role, but if I had to hazard a guess, that would be why the Canes picked up Ty Smith in the Guentzel trade.

The Canes have enough cap flexibility to sign Necas, as well as Jarvis and Guentzel, so it’s unlikely they move Necas without being blown away by an offer.

It seems to me that the offer is too much (for Columbus) of the wrong things (for Carolina). I love Marchenko, I think he's very valuable to Columbus, but I also think that Necas would bring a lot to Columbus. I'd be willing to include Marchenko, but that really hurts and would significantly reduce the Columbus side of the trade. Would Marchenko + Boqvist (young offensive RD) + a 2nd be a more reasonable price for either side? It's a much smaller offer, but maybe tailored more towards Carolina's needs and Marchenko is a very valuable player to side. Assuming, of course, that the Hurricanes even entertain the thought of trading Necas.
Mar. 27 at 12:08 p.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
For the Necas trade:

On one hand, we're essentially giving up 4 1sts, one of which could be top-10 still, plus a 3rd and retaining salary, to a division rival for a player who's a major unknown in our system.

On the other hand, Carolina is giving up a critical piece for a RD that seems to be bottoming out, a LD that's struggled everywhere he's played, a mystifying middle-6 winger who likely doesn't approach Necas' production, and a 1st that could be middle of the round.

You can really slice it either way, and that's a huge risk. I just don't think Columbus should be taking those risks right now. We're coming off a lost season under a rookie coach that isn't working with a team built by a lame-duck GM who clearly had no long-term plan, with our top prospect out for essentially the season and one of our top wingers in the PAP. I don't think we should be trading anyone under the age of 25 until we know what they can do in a stable system, and we certainly shouldn't be trading one of our own firsts in the next 2 years.

Provorov needs to go. Elvis needs to go. The rest can be sorted through next season.

Per the other trades, SJ doesn't entertain that with Blackwood and Vanecek under contract next season, I doubt the Knight trade improves our (young) goalie system (I'd rather see a vet signing), and the Preds don't look to move a guy who was flirting with a hits record and on a great deal on one of the best teams in the league in 2024.

Quoting: SK101
Just stay the course with the rebuild. Trade provorov for a first and let’s see how the rest of the prospects pan out. Necas is not a player you give up all these assets for. Especially young, cost controlled ones. Jackets are a lot more than just Necas away from competing for a playoff spot so there’s no sense in giving up this much to get him

Oh, I agree. This isn't my preferred course of action, it's just a thought experiment. The Blue Jackets are in all probability better off staying the course, developing the young players and trading Provorov and some others at the next deadline and recruit new players next off-season. One step at a time.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Mar. 27 at 12:10 p.m.
Yeah no chance the jackets do that. Necas is good but idk if he’s even worth the proposed package above let alone sillinger, chinakhov and KJ. He has regressed this year and would be putting up even less points in the jackets system. Not to mention he needs a new contract while the guys you want will be much more affordable.

Regressed from a 71 point season to a 65 point season... not sure I'd call that regressing. Johnson apparently wants out and Sillinger hasn't shown half the promise he should have done. This is a pile of garbage for a 65-70 point winger. If you're not going to pay, he'll stay in Raleigh
Mar. 27 at 12:15 p.m.
Edited Mar. 27 at 12:24 p.m.
Regressed from a 71 point season to a 65 point season... not sure I'd call that regressing. Johnson apparently wants out and Sillinger hasn't shown half the promise he should have done. This is a pile of garbage for a 65-70 point winger. If you're not going to pay, he'll stay in Raleigh

Johnson has made no inclination that he wants out and Sillinger is in his third season and progressing nicely after a sophomore slump. You are not acting in good faith labelling them as garbage.

EDIT: Also, fun fact: guess who had more points in their rookie season: "Garbage" Johnson or Necas?
Friendly_Cannon liked this.
Mar. 27 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
I would be well and truly amazed if we could pick up Knight and dump Elvis that easily.

Also, I don't think that Lauzon deal is in the Preds' best interests.

Damn those other teams acting in their own interest! smile
Mar. 27 at 1:12 p.m.
not a he )
Quoting: CertifiedAverage
Johnson has made no inclination that he wants out and Sillinger is in his third season and progressing nicely after a sophomore slump. You are not acting in good faith labelling them as garbage.

EDIT: Also, fun fact: guess who had more points in their rookie season: "Garbage" Johnson or Necas?

There isn't a Canes fan on this site who can discuss anything in good faith or make a reasonable argument. This post was a waste of all our time.
Mar. 27 at 2:10 p.m.

Necas didn’t have more than 40 points in a season until he was 24. Sillinger is 20, Kent Johnson is 21, and chinakov just turned 23. They are all better than Necas was at that age.
Mar. 27 at 2:16 p.m.
Necas didn’t have more than 40 points in a season until he was 24. Sillinger is 20, Kent Johnson is 21, and chinakov just turned 23. They are all better than Necas was at that age.

If there's anything I've learned from posting this ACGM, it's that Columbus will probably only profit from being patient. That is a very good lesson for me.
Mar. 27 at 4:48 p.m.
Quoting: CertifiedAverage

It's almost like Necas' PPG pace was better and his rookie season was broken up by a pandemic. Stop it
Mar. 27 at 4:52 p.m.

Necas had a 40 point pace as a rookie. His rookie season was conveniently broken up by a pandemic...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll