Draft Class: 2024
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Apr. 23 at 2:16 p.m.
Description
Trades:

Blues original pick is at 16th, Caps original pick is at 17th

Flames get: Shane Pinto, Erik Brannstrom, 8th pick, Joonas Korpisalo
Sens get: Jacob Markstrom

I constructed this similar to the Dubois deal, but instead of 3 forwards I went with one of each position. The Flames are apparently high on Pinto so he's included. Brannstrom could use a change of scenery and I feel like he could benefit on a rebuilder like Calgary. Korpisalo has turned out to be one of the Sens worst contracts plus if they don't trade him and add Markstrom, there's no space for Forsberg. I feel like Markstrom could be the guy that Ottawa needs. The favorite to grab him is the Devils, but we saw with Dubois that it went to 100% Montreal to 100% LA. The same thing could happen with Markstrom plus the Flames and Sens are already in trade talks reportedly.

Blues get: 11th pick
Sabres get: 16th pick, 2024 3rd

This is the Blues trading up. The Blues need a high end defensive prospect and I could see at least one being available at 11th. Not sure if this is enough value going to Buffalo, but they have a stacked prospect pool and can afford to slide back.

Blackhawks get: 2nd pick, 2024 2nd round pick (via Canucks)
Kraken get: 4th pick

The Blackhawks are reportedly high on Levshunov and Dickinson. Dickinson doesn't make sense for them given that LD is the Blackhawks strongest position. They need RD more than LD and I don't see Levshunov being drafted past 3rd overall.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Arizona CoyotesArizona Coyotes (6→1)
  2. Logo of the Seattle KrakenSeattle Kraken (8→2)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Arizona, now Utah, now gets the player that they will build their new franchise around. Celebrini is a welcome addition to an already stacked forward core that includes Guenther, Cooley, But, and Geekie. Celebrini has no holes in his game, he mostly provides offense but can be at times solid defensively as well.
2Logo of the Seattle Kraken-THIS IS CHICAGO'S PICK!!!! The Blackhawks get their guy in Levshunov. Like said in the trade analysis, the Blackhawks are high on Levshunov and Dickinson, between the two Levshunov makes the most sense. Solid two-way defender with size, a booming shot, solid skating. Just needs to improve his decision making.
3Logo of the San Jose Sharks-I know wingers are the Sharks strongest position, but I don't see Demidov being drafted past 3rd. The Russian factor is there, but Demidov arguably has the most upside out of any player in the draft, including Celebrini. If the Sharks are able to get the potential out of him, Demidov could end up being the best player in this draft within a few years.
4Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-THIS IS THE KRAKEN PICK!!!!! In their three years of existence, the Kraken haven't drafted a defender in the 1st round, given that this draft is loaded with D, they should go for one. The best D on the board is Silayev, who also has a lot of upside. His offense has really taken another level this year while still being able to maintain defensive standards. Brings a combination of size and speed which isn't found in many prospects.
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Given Anaheim's stacked prospect pool, I could see them taking a risk on the biggest boom or bust prospect in my top 10. Eiserman has to develop his game outside his shot, but you can easily teach team defense and skating. Still worth drafting in the top 5, not a reach.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-If Eiserman is available, he will 100% be the pick. He fits the Columbus system very well as I see a lot of Laine in his game. In the case of him being off the board, I see the Blue Jackets targeting Lindstrom. Not a bad pick by any means, Lindstrom brings size and speed to the lineup, two things that Columbus needs. Will perfectly fit alongside anyone given his two-way game and versatility.
7Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The first reach of the draft. I don't have Iginla in my top 10 as of now, but that could change very soon. Montreal is apparently very high on him, so he will be the pick. Montreal tends to pick players that have hockey sense, character, and compete and Iginla checks all the boxes. Solid two-way player that will fit alongside offensive players like Slafkovsky and Caufield.
8Logo of the Ottawa Senators-THIS IS THE FLAMES PICK!!! Back to back reaches here. Personally I would prefer Catton or Connelly here, but the Flames seem to heavily value size over anything in their prospects, something that I'm NOT a fan of. But this mock is more of what I think the GM will do more so than what I want to happen. The Flames will take MBN here as he reminds me a lot like Matthew Tkachuk. Offensively gifted but provides grit as well.
9Logo of the Calgary Flames-With the second of back-to-back picks, the Flames take a guy that plays in their backyard in Yakemchuk. Solid offensive defender, but can provide size and physicality. More of a Brent Burns type player.
10Logo of the New Jersey Devils-This is where Connelly goes. The Devils will go one of two ways with this pick: physical forward or goal-scorer. It is rumored that the Devils are no longer high on Holtz, let Connelly come in and inject goal-scoring. I also see a lot of Jack Hughes in his game, let him come in and be mentored under Hughes. Pretty much ignore the off-ice issues, take him for the talent.
11Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-THIS IS THE BLUES PICK!!!! Between Dickinson and Buium, Dickinson is the more safer option. The Blues have a clear need on D, so the play I believe will be best D available. Dickinson is a solid two-way defender with a booming shot, great skating, and elite defensive prowess. Blues fans will be jumping up and down seeing Dickinson fall in their lap.
12Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Catton does not fall much further than this. Simple as that. He also addresses the Flyers clear need for a center.
13Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild are a team stuck in no man's land. Are they competing or are they rebuilding? But they will be ecstatic when they see Buium fall into their lap. Solid two-way defender with offensive skill. This isn't the type of pick that Guerin normally makes, but Buium has fallen far enough.
14Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsIf Yakemchuk is available, he will 100% be the pick. If not, the pick will be Parekh. He is unreal offensively, defensive game needs 1 year of development but the wait will be worth it. RD is the Sharks biggest need, Parekh will become their best D prospect in general.
15Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Biggest reach of the draft. Personally I think this is too high for Elick, but I see the Red Wings doing it. He's played with Danielson this season, so assuming the scouts have been watching Danielson, they will also have their sights on Elick. The offensive upside is limited, but defensively Elick is elite.
16Logo of the Washington Capitals-THIS IS THE SABRES PICK!!! The Sabres have a clear need of RD, and Jiricek is the best available. He's had injury troubles, but has similar upside as his brother. Big kid, booming shot, dynamic skater, and solid defensive smarts.
17Logo of the St. Louis Blues-THIS IS THE CAPS PICK!!!! The Capitals don't have a solid prospect pool, I see them drafting Stiga here, who is BPA. He is so underrated, defensive game and skating alone he's a top 15 player in this draft. He doesn't use his strength a whole lot, but the two-way game he provides is enticing.
18Logo of the New York Islanders-This isn't exactly a steal, but its a high upside pick for the Islanders. Helenius will address their center problems, mostly provides offense but can be bet upon defensively as well.
19Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-At this point, it doesn't matter who Vegas drafts. Whoever they draft will pretty much be gone within 1-2 years. Boisvert's NHL debut will NOT be with the Golden Knights. But he's an up and down player, whenever Boisvert is at his best he provides a solid two-way game.
20Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningIf the Blackhawks have their eye on Dickinson (they didn't draft him), I feel like they will draft Greentree. I personally prefer Chernyshov more, but the Blackhawks don't draft Russians. They love CHLers way more, and Greentree would pair up nicely with Bedard.
21Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA gets the next version of Tyler Toffoli here.
22Logo of the Nashville Predators-The Predators need defensive stability up front, I feel like Hemming could provide that. Plus Trotz loves his defensively oriented players.
23Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Toronto is a deep team, but if Chernyshov is still sitting on the board he will be the pick. This is high upside at 23rd.
24Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Edmonton OilersSahlin Wallenius may be off the board to some people, but he reminds me of Pavel Mintyukov.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Bednarik just feels like an Avalanche, he reminds me of Rantanen.
26Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Boston BruinsOttawa has a clear need of RD, they draft Mews here, who could inject offense on the back end. I did consider Emery here, but Mews plays in Ottawa's backyard and also reminds me of Erik Karlsson in many ways. Also once had the pedigree of being a top 10 player coming into the season.
27Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Vancouver CanucksSince Calgary is rebuilding, I feel like they will not only stick to their routes by drafting bigger players, but also go for upside. They will draft the once called best player in the draft in Kiviharju. Undersized at 5'8" but provides a do-it-all game.
28Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Florida PanthersThe Flyers need a shutdown defender to complement the likes of Bonk and York, here they get Emery.
29Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Winnipeg JetsMontreal goes BPA with this pick. That's Basha.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-This feels like a Canes type pick. They love drafting high schoolers and haven't missed out on those in terms of development, the Morrow and Nadeau picks have paid off well. Burrows has just transitioned over to the USHL and was great in high school. So far doing well in the USHL.
31Logo of the Dallas Stars-Dallas goes BPA, which is Artamonov.
32Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers go off the board here and draft Caswell. Its not like he's a bad player, he's actually very good. Once had the pedigree of being a top 5 player, he was just jumped by a lot of players. Caswell is basically a rawer version of Gabe Perreault, more so a Cole Perfetti type player.
Apr. 23 at 2:17 p.m.
power forward
Apr. 23 at 2:17 p.m.
power forward
Apr. 23 at 2:18 p.m.
power forward
Apr. 23 at 2:20 p.m.
Sens
sens are not trading a top 10 pick for a 36 yo goalie lol
Capitalfail67, mokumboi, StutzlesNumber1Fan and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 23 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: Z0ra
Flames get: Shane Pinto, Erik Brannstrom, 8th pick, Joonas Korpisalo
Sens get: Jacob Markstrom

Blackhawks get: 2nd pick, 2024 2nd round pick (via Canucks)
Kraken get: 4th pick

I like the write-up...and draft analysis

On Markstrom, Pinto alone would be a steal for Calgary. Or the 8th overall pick alone would be as well.

If they are paying to move Korpisalo and are getting retention on Markstrom....maybe 8th/Korp for retained Marky.

On the Chicago/Seattle pick move -- the difference between #2 and #4 is probably more than a late 2nd pick. Its likely twice that.

According to the Puckpedia Calculator, the difference is equivalent to the #23 overall pick.
According to the Athletic Pick Value Chart, the difference is equivalent to the #26 overall pick.
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 23 at 2:35 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Stiga is more than likely available in the 2nd round for the Capitals..
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 23 at 2:39 p.m.
mokumboi
Well, now you're just buttering me up...... and I love it! Geez, and I didn't get you anything... tears of joy
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 23 at 7:09 p.m.
Nope Connelly do not go to the Devils. Greentree is physical and Catton is the goaler nice try stop over hyping
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 23 at 7:36 p.m.
Gotta love and appreciate the effort on this one, seems like you did your research on everything well.

That being said, I don’t see Igor Chernyshov being high on Toronto’s list - at least the people I know that work for the team haven’t mentioned his name a lot.

Treliving typically doesn’t draft a lot of Russians and Chernyshov doesn’t fit his style of play. He’s more of a skilled playmaker and perimetre player whereas Treliving values the bigger, stronger, meaner guys earlier on in the draft and typically saves the skilled players for later in the draft as project picks.

I’ve heard they’re keeping an eye on Charlie Elick - a big, strong skating right handed defender playing for Brandon in the WHL. & that seems to not only fit Treliving’s draft history style, but also the team needs. Elick should eventually round out as a solid #3 or #4 defender that plays a push back style game - it’s something the Leafs don’t have a single prospect in the system that plays that way at that position so I gotta believe my sources are right that Elick is high on their board. If he’s available, gotta think Treliving runs to the podium to get him
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 24 at 12:50 a.m.
Wtf is that Sens trade lmao. That is legit awful for us.
csick liked this.
Apr. 24 at 12:57 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan

Jesus
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
Apr. 24 at 1:03 a.m.
Quoting: csick
Jesus

That's gotta be worse than the Brady trades we've been seeing man.
csick liked this.
Apr. 24 at 2:45 a.m.
Great work on the analysis; I always learn a thing or two when I read through your draft lists. As a Habs fan, I'm happy to hear that the Hawks are looking at defensemen.

Utah with Celebrini would be very dangerous in a few years.

The picks all make sense to me, though I can't see Sennecke or Hage making it out of the 1st round at this point. I have them both in my top 20, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go even higher than that.

Other people have already pointed out some of the issues with your mock trades, but I can see the two pick swaps happening (probably with more compensation coming from the teams moving up though).
Apr. 24 at 2:48 a.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_92
Gotta love and appreciate the effort on this one, seems like you did your research on everything well.

That being said, I don’t see Igor Chernyshov being high on Toronto’s list - at least the people I know that work for the team haven’t mentioned his name a lot.

Treliving typically doesn’t draft a lot of Russians and Chernyshov doesn’t fit his style of play. He’s more of a skilled playmaker and perimetre player whereas Treliving values the bigger, stronger, meaner guys earlier on in the draft and typically saves the skilled players for later in the draft as project picks.

I’ve heard they’re keeping an eye on Charlie Elick - a big, strong skating right handed defender playing for Brandon in the WHL. & that seems to not only fit Treliving’s draft history style, but also the team needs. Elick should eventually round out as a solid #3 or #4 defender that plays a push back style game - it’s something the Leafs don’t have a single prospect in the system that plays that way at that position so I gotta believe my sources are right that Elick is high on their board. If he’s available, gotta think Treliving runs to the podium to get him

Elick is already gone at 15 in the mock though. Maybe Badinka would be a good alternative.
Also, Chernyshov is 6'2", 192lbs, so hardly a small guy.
Apr. 24 at 8:06 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Boodin
sens are not trading a top 10 pick for a 36 yo goalie lol

Quoting: csick
Jesus

That's gotta be worse than the Brady trades we've been seeing man.

Thank you for the comments.

Here is a revised version of the trade:

Sens get: Jacob Markstrom (50% retained)
Flames get: Shane Pinto and Joonas Korpisalo
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
Apr. 24 at 8:07 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I like the write-up...and draft analysis

On Markstrom, Pinto alone would be a steal for Calgary. Or the 8th overall pick alone would be as well.

If they are paying to move Korpisalo and are getting retention on Markstrom....maybe 8th/Korp for retained Marky.

On the Chicago/Seattle pick move -- the difference between #2 and #4 is probably more than a late 2nd pick. Its likely twice that.

According to the Puckpedia Calculator, the difference is equivalent to the #23 overall pick.
According to the Athletic Pick Value Chart, the difference is equivalent to the #26 overall pick.

That's good to know, just read the article.
Apr. 24 at 8:08 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Stiga is more than likely available in the 2nd round for the Capitals..

Super underrated player, the lowest I see him going is 30th. Highest I see him going is 11th.
Apr. 24 at 8:12 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: TyeZerker
Nope Connelly do not go to the Devils. Greentree is physical and Catton is the goaler nice try stop over hyping

If only the Devils were still very high on Holtz, they wouldn't take Connelly. I believe Connelly is also the best skater in the draft. Basically can do it all offensively.

I could see Greentree being the pick if the Devils don't take Connelly.
Apr. 24 at 8:14 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Ryminister_92

I actually would have them picking Elick if only the red wings didn't reach on him. But given what you are saying, and it makes sense, the Leafs would draft Emery.
Apr. 24 at 8:17 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: HabsCanucks
Great work on the analysis; I always learn a thing or two when I read through your draft lists. As a Habs fan, I'm happy to hear that the Hawks are looking at defensemen.

Utah with Celebrini would be very dangerous in a few years.

The picks all make sense to me, though I can't see Sennecke or Hage making it out of the 1st round at this point. I have them both in my top 20, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go even higher than that.

Other people have already pointed out some of the issues with your mock trades, but I can see the two pick swaps happening (probably with more compensation coming from the teams moving up though).

Take out Brannstrom, then just have Korp and whoever they choose between Pinto and the 8th. Retain salary on Marky.

I've also seen that Anaheim is looking for RD, I see them trading back. Utah is also very high on Yakemchuk as well, but if they are at 1st Celebrini is the obvious choice.
Apr. 24 at 11:31 a.m.
I actually would have them picking Elick if only the red wings didn't reach on him. But given what you are saying, and it makes sense, the Leafs would draft Emery.

Elick at 15 is quite the reach - admittedly I did miss that pick when I first saw it. & I’m not sure Detroit would wanna reach that much given their position right now anyway. They already have Seider and ASP at right defence and reaching for a guy that early is usually done on a guy with more offensive skill because defence takes longer to develop. Just doesn’t seem like a fit with Detroit right now
Apr. 24 at 9:22 p.m.
I think Calgary will try to move up in the draft to secure Iginla. Maybe MTL would be willing to move down a few spots for Vancouver 2024 1st.
Apr. 24 at 10:37 p.m.
Thank you for the comments.

Here is a revised version of the trade:

Sens get: Jacob Markstrom (50% retained)
Flames get: Shane Pinto and Joonas Korpisalo

We still can't do it. We can just buy out Korpi and Markstrom even at 50% retained is not worth pick #8 or Pinto.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll