SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Chicago Blackhawks signed Alex Vlasic (6 Years / $4,600,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 25 at 2:06 p.m.
I like it. Good move.
Apr. 25 at 2:28 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Great signing. I would happily pay him $5 million and replace Vladi Gavrikov with him.
Apr. 25 at 3:38 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: exo2769
You do realize that he played the #1LD role the entire season and ended with playing 25 min a game and had the highest DPS on the team including veterans like Seth Jones and Connor Murphy. They eye test proved it too. Went up against the hardest opponent's night in night out and he played well.

Let's rephrase this from the MTL perspective. How pissed off were you when Caufield got his contract? He had what...120 games under his belt vs 97. They're both 2019 draftees. Being a defensive Dman is effort based, where scoring can be hit or miss. $4.6M per when the cap is increasing the way it will be is amazing.

Not to mention put up more points than Korchinski who is supposed to be the offensive Dman. That comparison is not apples to apples but Vlasic improved on the offensive side as well.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Apr. 25 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
I respectfully disagree with everyone saying this is a good contract. He's played less than 100 games. 6 years 4.5M is crazy risky.
What was the rush to sign him long-term???? Sorry but this guy is a 3rd pairing dman. Hate the risk to this.

Dude. Vlasic is a stud. How would you feel if Guhle signed this deal?
Apr. 25 at 11:13 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
good deal. Smart of KD to use the years of cap space galore to capitalize on signing longer deals of players to benefit from them once you are hoping to be good.

Vlasic at 4.6 might a be real good deal soon.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Apr. 25 at 11:25 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Will be one of the most underrated dmen for the next couple of years. Great signing.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Apr. 26 at 12:19 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: exo2769
You do realize that he played the #1LD role the entire season and ended with playing 25 min a game and had the highest DPS on the team including veterans like Seth Jones and Connor Murphy. They eye test proved it too. Went up against the hardest opponent's night in night out and he played well.

Let's rephrase this from the MTL perspective. How pissed off were you when Caufield got his contract? He had what...120 games under his belt vs 97. They're both 2019 draftees. Being a defensive Dman is effort based, where scoring can be hit or miss. $4.6M per when the cap is increasing the way it will be is amazing.

To be fair, Jones had never been known for his defense, and Murphy had a very bad year for his standards, so saying he did better than those two isn't all that high of a bar to trip over.
Apr. 26 at 12:28 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Solid contract, look at players like John Marino, Mikey Anderson, Mattias Samuelsson, etc who've signed this type of deal, Chicago has all the cap space and once they start competing getting Vlasic at 4.6 will be huge

I guess the real question is, will they be competing while he's still on this contract? They kind of reset the rebuild counter to zero for Bedard by selling anything young that wasn't bolted down in DeBrincat and Dach. There's a couple pieces taken after the first round since then that are working out (case in point this contract) but there's a serious lack of depth in the pipeline in Chicago. It's going to be years before they're knocking on the door of the playoffs, even with Bedard.
Apr. 26 at 6:46 a.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
I guess the real question is, will they be competing while he's still on this contract? They kind of reset the rebuild counter to zero for Bedard by selling anything young that wasn't bolted down in DeBrincat and Dach. There's a couple pieces taken after the first round since then that are working out (case in point this contract) but there's a serious lack of depth in the pipeline in Chicago. It's going to be years before they're knocking on the door of the playoffs, even with Bedard.

Vlasic was drafted before Kyle Davidson took over.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 26 at 9:17 a.m.
Hawks Fan

Expect the push for playoffs to start with the 25-26 season. By then this years top 4 pick, Commesso, Nazar, Moore, EDM, Allan, Rinzel, and Dach will be NHL ready to join Vlasic, Korch, Jones, Reichel, and Bedard. Plus maybe a huge FA signing or two.

Then you’ve got all these 2nd and 3rd round picks they’ve accumulated filling the AHL pipeline like Slaggert, Rolaton, Lardis, Ludwinski, Savoie, Misiak, Marcel… gotta imagine even if 1-2 of those hit you’re doing a great job.
Garak liked this.
Apr. 26 at 9:22 a.m.
exo2769

I'm in full support of taking the time needed to NOT rush prospects. Bowman rushed both Dach/Boqvist and welp... I think they will get better next year just like KD mentioned in his press conference. They'll be looking for solid NHL veterans to help in the development/maturation of their rookies. Vlasic to me is a rookie...he was literally 1 game too many in order to be Calder vote eligible. Bedard/Korchinski are not in the "farm system" anymore, BUT even with those three players out...they're still a top 10 farm system with a plethora of picks coming up. Yes, it'll take time. 6 years seems like too long to fight for the playoffs. Half the teams make the playoffs.
Jco5ta5 and Garak liked this.
Apr. 26 at 11:51 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Apr. 26 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
Vlasic was drafted before Kyle Davidson took over.

Yes, I mentioned that specifically with this contract, perhaps I worded it poorly. My main point being, even though Chicago has the opportunity to draft high for quite a while, a lot of those pieces were traded off or failed to do anything. Dach, Boqvist, the pick that became Jiricek, etc etc

You've got no drafted player (from the first round) from 2010 through to 2020 with the exception of Reichel (who hit a major sophomore slump) that's still on the roster, my point is that there's still a lot of high end talent needed through the draft to get enough players to start going for it.

Quoting: Jco5ta5
Expect the push for playoffs to start with the 25-26 season. By then this years top 4 pick, Commesso, Nazar, Moore, EDM, Allan, Rinzel, and Dach will be NHL ready to join Vlasic, Korch, Jones, Reichel, and Bedard. Plus maybe a huge FA signing or two.

I think you are being way too optimistic about player development timelines and the odds that they all achieve their potential.
Jco5ta5 and Garak liked this.
Apr. 26 at 4:05 p.m.
Get Jake Back
Chicago continues to give some of the worst contracts in the league
Foligno, Dickinson and now this!
Apr. 26 at 4:30 p.m.
Hawks Fan

I think you are being way too optimistic about player development timelines and the odds that they all achieve their potential.

Maybe… but I didn’t say they were Cup contenders. I said they’d push for the playoffs.

Dach is likely to be an NHL call up next season so 2 years from now it’s not out of the realm to think he’d be 4C in 2 seasons. Same for EDM and Allan who will likely be NHL call ups next year. Moore will sign after next year’s college season ends. Rinzel maybe stays in college another year but he took a huge step forward this year. Commesso is only one that maybe isn’t going to be ready otherwise.

The top 4 pick this year is either Celebrini (nhl ready now), Levshunov (1 more year old college then NHL ready), Demidov (already playing in KHL as 18 year old), or Lindstrom/Eiserman who will be ready after next season likely.
Apr. 26 at 7:14 p.m.
He should have stayed and ended in career with SJS.
Apr. 26 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: MrAicrow2009
Chicago continues to give some of the worst contracts in the league
Foligno, Dickinson and now this!

Foligno Dickinson and Mrazek are fantastic contracts, they fluff CHI's cap structure to help get them to the floor for the next couple of years without overcommitting on too many large contracts. Plus, all three bring experience, leadership, and a stabilizing presence.

Vlasic is already a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL, and his offense showed drastic improvement and his counting stats will likely only get better as the team gets better. If you think that is a bad contract, you have no clue what you are talking about.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Apr. 26 at 10:06 p.m.
Get Jake Back
Quoting: Garak
Foligno Dickinson and Mrazek are fantastic contracts, they fluff CHI's cap structure to help get them to the floor for the next couple of years without overcommitting on too many large contracts. Plus, all three bring experience, leadership, and a stabilizing presence.

Vlasic is already a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL, and his offense showed drastic improvement and his counting stats will likely only get better as the team gets better. If you think that is a bad contract, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Hawks fan....
Their defense is screwed (Jones, Murphy, Vlasic) and Dickinson and Foligno are way to overpayed
Apr. 26 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: MrAicrow2009
Hawks fan....
Their defense is screwed (Jones, Murphy, Vlasic) and Dickinson and Foligno are way to overpayed

You literally have no clue what you are talking about. Good luck with that opinion.
Apr. 27 at 2:43 a.m.
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
I respectfully disagree with everyone saying this is a good contract. He's played less than 100 games. 6 years 4.5M is crazy risky.
What was the rush to sign him long-term???? Sorry but this guy is a 3rd pairing dman. Hate the risk to this.

He's good defensively, but I think a LOT of people are overvaluing his his defensive abilities. That said, I think 3rd pair is too low.
Apr. 27 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
He's good defensively, but I think a LOT of people are overvaluing his his defensive abilities. That said, I think 3rd pair is too low.

Both analytically and by the eye test, Vlasic was a top 5 defensive dman in the league through the regular season, on one of the worst teams in the league with an absolutely brutal goal differential. If he can add more offense, which should be relatively easy as the team gets better as a whole, he will be the next Slavin/Toews/Lindgren type of LD, maybe even better and more valuable than them, especially at that cap hit for the next 6 years.

That said, yeah, there are a lot of people who overvalued his abilities and were making predictions in the $6-8M aav range. Which was absolutely ridiculous, imo. You don't give that kind of money out on such a small sample size. But this contract has a good chance to be looked at as one of the best bargains in the league within a couple years.
Apr. 27 at 1:11 p.m.
Bedard23

We should be competitive again around the half way point of his contract maybe a little less
Thu. at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: SLAFSQUATCH
Dude. Vlasic is a stud. How would you feel if Guhle signed this deal?

You're comparing Guhle to Vlasic?!?!?!?!?
that's ridiculous.
I actually think Guhle will be worth 7yr or 8 yr @ 6-6.5M

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit