Forums/Armchair-GM

AUSTIN MATTHEWS SETS LEAFS HISTORY TONIGHT

Created by: TMLSage
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2020
Published: Jan. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Austin Matthews became the first Toronto Maple Leaf in the team's 102 years history tonight to score 30 plus goals in his first four seasons in the NHL. Is there a better goal scorer under the age of 25 years old in the NHL today?
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$75,348,810$0$335,000$6,151,190
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
jets
Pastrnak, MacKinnon, McDavid are all better but ok
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:46 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: ajm

Not sure about that.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:46 a.m.
Caps fan idk why

Draisaitl He had the most goals in 2019.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:47 a.m.
Didn't Marner just accomplish something similar but with assists?
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:52 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: aedoran
Didn't Marner just accomplish something similar but with assists?

Not aware of him setting Leafs assist record for first 4 years with team but you might be right. He did set the Leafs rookie assist record in his first year in the NHL with the Leafs.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
Leafs player sets Leafs record therfore making him best in the league. Nothing new to see here just another homer leafs post
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:13 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:21 a.m.

Pasta- 164 in 364... nope
McKinnon 181 in 504... nope
Mcdavid 152 in 332... nope
Matthews 142 in 257... yup

How about best goal scorer under 23? I think most people forget that he is only 22.

Those 3 players are all amazing players but they are not scoring goals at Matthews pace. And no where near his 5v5 goal pace.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:17 a.m.
Phenchod

As well as Draisaitl and Eichel
RoyBoy liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:17 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Draisaitl He had the most goals in 2019.

Draisaitl 150 in 396.... nope.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:19 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: A6ix9inetythree
As well as Draisaitl and Eichel

Eichel 127 in 328... nope
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
Banned
he's ok
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:36 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Leafs player sets Leafs record therfore making him best in the league. Nothing new to see here just another homer leafs post

Ledge_And_Dairy
I actually feel sorry for you when you make uninformed emotional comments like this without doing any research. Do you actually realize that Austin Matthews is on pace to score 57 goals this year and to my mind makes him one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL. You should actually review the information provided by Jamiepo to my post tonight for your own benefit. I also want you to know that I take it as a compliment when you call me a Leaf homer because I have been a Leafs fan all my life and live on the Westcoast of Canada and a long way from Toronto. I find it very disappointing that you like to use the Leafs homer comment often to get a reaction when you yourself do not even have the courage to declare your own favourite team in your own profile which just shows you have no creditability to even be taken seriously on this site. Can you do everyone on CAPRIENDLY a favour and declare your favourite team on your profile like everyone else with the next couple of days so viewers can take you seriously.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 1:59 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: TMLSage
Ledge_And_Dairy
I actually feel sorry for you when you make uninformed emotional comments like this without doing any research. Do you actually realize that Austin Matthews is on pace to score 57 goals this year and to my mind makes him one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL. You should actually review the information provided by Jamiepo to my post tonight for your own benefit. I also want you to know that I take it as a compliment when you call me a Leaf homer because I have been a Leafs fan all my life and live on the Westcoast of Canada and a long way from Toronto. I find it very disappointing that you like to use the Leafs homer comment often to get a reaction when you yourself do not even have the courage to declare your own favourite team in your own profile which just shows you have no creditability to even be taken seriously on this site. Can you do everyone on CAPRIENDLY a favour and declare your favourite team on your profile like everyone else with the next couple of days so viewers can take you seriously.

He’s a flames fan.

Despite TML sage being Carlton Bear on trucker pills... he makes a good point on this question.

As far as I can see (correct me if I’m wrong) of all active nhl players Matthews trails only Ovechkin in goals per game.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 2:16 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Ledge_And_Dairy

Quoting: Jamiepo
He’s a flames fan.

Ledge_And_Dairy being a Flames fan makes sense and partially explains his jealous comments towards Leafs posts on CapFriendly. I am still waiting for him to man up on CAPFRIENDLY and post his favourite team on his profile in the next 2 days and do the right thing to restore his creditability to everyone on CapFriendly.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 2:42 a.m.
Ledge_And_Dairy

He’s a flames fan.

Despite TML sage being Carlton Bear on trucker pills... he makes a good point on this question.

As far as I can see (correct me if I’m wrong) of all active nhl players Matthews trails only Ovechkin in goals per game.

I didn't even know you could declare a favourite team, thanks for the information. As for my favourite team a quick look at my post history should show clear favoritism towards the Flames as Jamiepo said above. I'm not quite sure what your location has to do with your team of preference but I live in the GTA and have always cheered for the red sweaters in Alberta.

As for stats there is no doubt in my mind that Matthews is an elite goal scorer. However, there are many very solid goal scorers in the NHL under 25 keeping up pace with him. The difference is Matthews is yet to have a down season (which will certainly happen at least once), or took an extra year to develop, or started on a questionably skilled team.
-Eichel is literally the entire Sabres driving force.
-2 years ago Draisaitl's contract was considered bad because he had 9pts in his fist season (only 37 games though), 55pts in his 2nd (77 games), and 77pts in his 3rd (82 games), now he is almost certainly going to be a 100 point player for what seems like many seasons to come.
-McDavid's not as much of a goal scorer but he's all around the best player in the league without question
-When MacKinnon joined the league he was the team only really had Landeskog. He took a couple years to develop to where he is now and for the team to be built around him but he is also certainly an elite goal scorer and playmaker.
- Pastrnak is like Draisaitl it took him a couple years to develop but you cant ignore the fact that he's on pace for 60 goals right now

Yes Matthews is an amazing goal scorer and its fine making an appreciation post but this is a post literally designed to cause controversy by your question in the description. Hell I still think Laine challenges that spot but he's changed his game up this year to lead to his team having more success overall.
justaBoss and TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 2:50 a.m.
What in tarnation
It's Auston Matthews btw. Learn to write the players name before you extol him to up and beyond everything lol.

As for his goal scoring prowess, I think he's TOP5 in the league, possibly TOP3.
ChiHawk, GenXHockey and ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 2:52 a.m.
Court jester made his daily appearance i see......

Quoting: BurgerBoss
It's Auston Matthews btw. Learn to write the players name before you extol him to up and beyond everything lol.

As for his goal scoring prowess, I think he's TOP5 in the league, possibly TOP3.

Sad right, biggest homer of them 5 we have on this site and isnt aware who hes rooting for.....
justaBoss, ChiHawk and ON3M4N liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 3:04 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I didn't even know you could declare a favourite team, thanks for the information. As for my favourite team a quick look at my post history should show clear favoritism towards the Flames as Jamiepo said above. I'm not quite sure what your location has to do with your team of preference but I live in the GTA and have always cheered for the red sweaters in Alberta.

As for stats there is no doubt in my mind that Matthews is an elite goal scorer. However, there are many very solid goal scorers in the NHL under 25 keeping up pace with him. The difference is Matthews is yet to have a down season (which will certainly happen at least once), or took an extra year to develop, or started on a questionably skilled team.
-Eichel is literally the entire Sabres driving force.
-2 years ago Draisaitl's contract was considered bad because he had 9pts in his fist season (only 37 games though), 55pts in his 2nd (77 games), and 77pts in his 3rd (82 games), now he is almost certainly going to be a 100 point player for what seems like many seasons to come.
-McDavid's not as much of a goal scorer but he's all around the best player in the league without question
-When MacKinnon joined the league he was the team only really had Landeskog. He took a couple years to develop to where he is now and for the team to be built around him but he is also certainly an elite goal scorer and playmaker.
- Pastrnak is like Draisaitl it took him a couple years to develop but you cant ignore the fact that he's on pace for 60 goals right now

Yes Matthews is an amazing goal scorer and its fine making an appreciation post but this is a post literally designed to cause controversy by your question in the description. Hell I still think Laine challenges that spot but he's changed his game up this year to lead to his team having more success overall.

Pasta is having a great season and is a statistical anomaly. Maybe he continues, maybe he feeds off of linemates. Hard to say. Even the rest of the players you mentioned (including pasta) don’t touch Matthews goals per game. And Laine changing his game... To do the work Matthews always has... isn’t an excuse.

Matthews is the reason the team was strong. His rookie season was a team of rookie talent.

I’m not sure you can hold it against Matthews that he started at 18. If anything that should hurt his goals per game. Which again as far as I know is second only to ovechkin. 142 goals in 257 games is over .55 gpg. The fact that he puts up the highest percentage of even strength goals says something as well.

Is he the best goal scorer under 25? I think so. If your best argument is that he has been too consistent and didn’t need development... well...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 3:05 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: BurgerBoss

Top 5 overall or under 25?
Jan. 9, 2020 at 3:06 a.m.
What in tarnation
Top 5 overall or under 25?

Overall.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 3:26 a.m.

Pastrnak MacKinnon McDavid are not even in the same league as a legend like Austin. The truth is they just dont make players like him anymore
Jan. 9, 2020 at 3:51 a.m.
Pasta is having a great season and is a statistical anomaly. Maybe he continues, maybe he feeds off of linemates. Hard to say. Even the rest of the players you mentioned (including pasta) don’t touch Matthews goals per game. And Laine changing his game... To do the work Matthews always has... isn’t an excuse.

Matthews is the reason the team was strong. His rookie season was a team of rookie talent.

I’m not sure you can hold it against Matthews that he started at 18. If anything that should hurt his goals per game. Which again as far as I know is second only to ovechkin. 142 goals in 257 games is over .55 gpg. The fact that he puts up the highest percentage of even strength goals says something as well.

Is he the best goal scorer under 25? I think so. If your best argument is that he has been too consistent and didn’t need development... well...

I never said once that he is or isn't the best goal scorer under 25. I am merely saying it is debatable. This enter page was made to cause an argument. There is no doubt in my mind that Matthews is an elite goal scorer but I would say he is a lot closer to Stamkos then Ovechkin. Both centers and both produced at a rate of ~0.55 goals per game. Ovi had a 0.68 gpg in his first 4 seasons. Hell, Lafreniere could come in next season and produce at an even higher rate.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 4:09 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I never said once that he is or isn't the best goal scorer under 25. I am merely saying it is debatable. This enter page was made to cause an argument. There is no doubt in my mind that Matthews is an elite goal scorer but I would say he is a lot closer to Stamkos then Ovechkin. Both centers and both produced at a rate of ~0.55 goals per game. Ovi had a 0.68 gpg in his first 4 seasons. Hell, Lafreniere could come in next season and produce at an even higher rate.

Heard the same about Hughes. Laf will be good but he will take some time. Matthews had the big frame and the benefit of okaying professional hockey with men before entering the nhl.

I see Stamkos more like ovechkin than Matthews. Making a killing on the PP. don’t get me wrong Stamkos is a great name to be dropped. Mathews would be lucky to follow on his track. His question was is there a better goal scorer under 25. I think it’s debatable but my answer would be no.
Ledge_And_Dairy and TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 4:34 a.m.
Heard the same about Hughes. Laf will be good but he will take some time. Matthews had the big frame and the benefit of okaying professional hockey with men before entering the nhl.

I see Stamkos more like ovechkin than Matthews. Making a killing on the PP. don’t get me wrong Stamkos is a great name to be dropped. Mathews would be lucky to follow on his track. His question was is there a better goal scorer under 25. I think it’s debatable but my answer would be no.

From my memory Hughes was a disappointment last year at both World Juniors and IIHF in the spring and that's what made the whole debate between Kakko vs Hughes a thing. I'm actually surprised Kakko isn't producing more. However Laf is already built and should realistically be rookie of the year next year. WJIIHF showed that Byfield, even though he will still probably go 2nd OA, still needs about 1 more year before he hits that projected level.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 7:19 a.m.
Amazing the things Leafs fans get themselves excited about. Guess that's what happens when you haven't won a cup in over 50 years. Surprised OP didnt want to say that Matthew's is the greatest to ever play the game and the entire NHL should retire his number.
Sebybbq17 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll