2021 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:26 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Who im cheering for
1. New York
2. Vegas
3. Lightning
4. Montreal

Nothing against Montreal or Tampa but I just don't want Tampa to win again and I don't think Montreal deserves to win compared to the other teams
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:30 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Devil1122
Who im cheering for
1. New York
2. Vegas
3. Lightning
4. Montreal

Nothing against Montreal or Tampa but I just don't want Tampa to win again and I don't think Montreal deserves to win compared to the other teams

Don’t deserve to win? You can’t win the Stanley Cup without deserving to win it. Obviously if Montréal gets steamrolled by Vegas they don’t deserve to win the cup, and they didn’t win the cup. But if they outplay the Golden Knights and are the better team in the finals, they will win, and course they deserve to win.
BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I’m cheering for:

1. Montréal
2. Vegas
3. NY Islanders
4. Tampa Bay

I’d be fine with anyone but Tampa Bay winning the cup. Although if the Isles beat Montréal I’d obviously be less happy for them than I would be if they beat Vegas.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I’m cheering for:

1. Montréal
2. Vegas
3. NY Islanders
4. Tampa Bay

I’d be fine with anyone but Tampa Bay winning the cup. Although if the Isles beat Montréal I’d obviously be less happy for them than I would be if they beat Vegas.

I'm cheering for:

Montréal
Tampa
Vegas
Islanders
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
I’m cheering for:

1. Montréal
2. Vegas
3. NY Islanders
4. Tampa Bay

I'm cheering for:
1. Montreal
2. NYI and Vegas
1,000,000. Tampa
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:36 a.m.
Canes fan
I'm cheering for:
1. New York
2. Montreal
3. Tampa
4. Vegas
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Don’t deserve to win? You can’t win the Stanley Cup without deserving to win it. Obviously if Montréal gets steamrolled by Vegas they don’t deserve to win the cup, and they didn’t win the cup. But if they outplay the Golden Knights and are the better team in the finals, they will win, and course they deserve to win.

Montreal deserved to be in the final 4 (because they outplayed their oppenents), but I don't think they're as good as Vegas or Tampa which is why I don't want them to win.
A_Habs_fan and Zinger liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:48 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Devil1122
Montreal deserved to be in the final 4 (because they outplayed their oppenents), but I don't think they're as good as Vegas or Tampa which is why I don't want them to win.

If they beat Vegas, then they’re better than Vegas. If they lose to Vegas, then they’re not better than Vegas. Even if the habs won, would you seriously think that they aren’t better because of your preconceived notions of 2 teams that haven’t played each other in 19 and a half months?
yikes, BuFfaLOFaN and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Not really, no. The important part is winning. It doesn't matter who on your team scores.

For the leafs, the depth performed well, but they lost a really, really close series.

For the avs, the stars performed well and they lost a close series.

Same things. Both teams disappointed.

The comment I was originally replying to was comparing the stars disappearing and fans turning on them, which I dont think applies to COL. Definitely a disappointing end for both teams though
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Cup Power Rankings
1. Tampa Bay
2. Vegas
3. New York
4. Montreal

Who I’m cheering for
1. Montreal
2. New York
3. Vegas
4. Tampa Bay

Conn Smythe for each team
Tampa Bay - Nikita Kucherov/Andrei Vasilevskiy
Vegas - Mark Stone
New York - Mathew Barzal
Montreal - Carey Price

Ranking Finals Matchups
1. Vegas vs Tampa Bay
2. Tampa Bay vs Montreal
3. New York vs Montreal
4. Vegas vs New York

As much as I love Mark Stone..

Flower deserves a Vezina paired with a Conn Smythe if they win the cup. Without Fleury I doubt Vegas is this deep. I like Lehner (not saying he couldn’t help them win) and I love Stone but he’s the backbone in Vegas rn.
TheFlamingC liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Give me a Tampa vs. Montreal SCF.

Bolts in 5
Habs in 7

Atlantic division has to represent.
I obviously want Tampa to repeat.
But I think it would be funny if after all of the Toronto hype it's Montreal, not Toronto, who breaks the Canadian Stanley Cup drought.
Kotkaniemi15, BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Cup Power Rankings
1. Tampa Bay
2. Vegas
3. New York
4. Montreal

Who I’m cheering for
1. Montreal
2. New York
3. Vegas
4. Tampa Bay

Conn Smythe for each team
Tampa Bay - Nikita Kucherov/Andrei Vasilevskiy
Vegas - Mark Stone
New York - Mathew Barzal
Montreal - Carey Price

Ranking Finals Matchups
1. Vegas vs Tampa Bay
2. Tampa Bay vs Montreal
3. New York vs Montreal
4. Vegas vs New York

If the isles win the cup I think Pelech would get the Conn Smythe
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
Jinx god
Rick Bowness snubbed from Jack Adams. The man played Blake Comeau 16 minutes a night, he should’ve totally won it.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops
Give me a Tampa vs. Montreal SCF.

Bolts in 5
Habs in 7

Atlantic division has to represent.
I obviously want Tampa to repeat.
But I think it would be funny if after all of the Toronto hype it's Montreal, not Toronto, who breaks the Canadian Stanley Cup drought.

It would be funny if it was an all Atlantic final, and also Montreal would become the first team to reach 25 cup wins
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:41 p.m.
Canes fan
Just found out Rod was nominated for Jack Adams. LETS GO!!!
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:46 p.m.
Canes fan
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/462394 - Jack Adams thread.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jun. 11, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
Playoff Preview:

Montreal vs Vegas - Best series don’t @me
aka David vs Goliath
Montreal’s biggest test, not only a test but the more annoying of Colorado/ Vegas. They may just get swept.. They coulda done what they did to Toronto against Colorado. I don’t think that can happen here. Gonna be a real slug fest I think (back and forth). Gonna fall to the D cores + Price vs Fleury imo. Can the kids keep on fire or will Stone and company shut them down.
- G1 : Vegas
- G2 : Montreal (OT)
- G3 : Montreal
- G4 : Montreal (OT)
- G5 : Vegas
- G6 : Vegas
- G7 : Montreal (OT)

Round MVP: Price vs Fleury or Shea & Pietro vs Weber & Chiarot

Tampa Bay vs New York - The interesting series
One teams gonna dominate the other or it’s gonna be fun till game 6/7. New York could wear down Tampa and provide zero quality chances and when they do; Varma usually saves the day. Or Tampa could dominate through sheer power and provide no breathing room for New York.
Who gives a **** tho, go watch Price vs Fleury in Montreal. Jk, the Isles got a real fun barn to watch. Gotta love fans being back.
- G1 : Tampa
- G2 : NYI
- G3 : NYI
- G4 : Tampa
- G5 : Tampa (OT)
- G6 : Tampa (OT)

Round MVP: Kucherov or Varma
A_Habs_fan and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: moli92
I dont see why this series loss would change their offseason plan very much. They outplayed Vegas in games 5 and 6 and lost because VGK capitalized on the chances they got. Imo those games couldve easily tipped in COLs favour and the roles could be reversed. Plus Vegas is a great team, theres no shame in losing to that. Id stick with the same offseason plan most Avs fans on this site have (lose Graves to SEA, sign Landeskog, Grubauer, & Makar, and possibly Saad if theres enough room or maybe make room by moving Compher, then use some kids and maybe some depth UFA signings to fill out the roster)

That's the point I was trying to make ... people were just talking about how great the Avs are and how great a job Sakic has done, and how MacKinnon is the best player in the NHL ... I thought people would now be taking all that back lol.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
That's the point I was trying to make ... people were just talking about how great the Avs are and how great a job Sakic has done, and how MacKinnon is the best player in the NHL ... I thought people would now be taking all that back lol.

I also don’t think any panic is needed for many teams that lost.

Carolina - You’re facing the champs. You’re gonna have a tough time since they’re the same team.

Toronto - 4a4.gif

TORONTO also created the Habs, who are horrifying if they beat Vegas. Soooooo the league can thank Toronto for creating the potential Cup Champs.. Toronto doesn’t curse EVERYTHING they touch 🥳😘

Colorado- you kinda played yourself, but really Vegas is super good and they performed when it mattered most and fleury played great. Got the bounces they needed and performed when they didn’t get the bounces.

Wild - going from a mediocre team to kinda a sleeper team to improve.

Boston - they never addressed the need of more D and goaltending help.

Winnipeg - they never addressed the need of more D

Florida - they could win a cup soon

St Louis - ok maaaybe hit the panic button… but I’m personally super lost on the blues. No idea what the best decision is; probably just come and stronger next year.

EDM - I’ve BEEN saying Holland and the Oilers need to hit the panic button. Just go all in ffs. Acquire real help. Sacrifice some future because you’ve got a winning lineup and they blew it this year not loading up.

PIT - panic button *Jarry = Jones?*

WSH - make someone overpay for Kuzy

The panic button team is Buffalo realistically; no one else. Although I think Buffalo needs like a nuclear war head warning button because that team is like ground zero. Just a war zone down there.
Zinger, A_Habs_fan, Devil and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well my official bracket is deceased, none of my conf finalists were right, one of my secondary bracket got 1 conf finalists right and my “unrealistic bracket got 2 ( I thought why not make one where Montreal wins the cup, apparently it’s not that far fetched, also gave the Islanders a shot )

I thought you said you picked Tampa Bay, too
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I thought you said you picked Tampa Bay, too

I checked again, i picked carolina, i guess i almost had tampa instead
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: yikes
Playoff Preview:

Montreal vs Vegas - Best series don’t @me
aka David vs Goliath
Montreal’s biggest test, not only a test but the more annoying of Colorado/ Vegas. They may just get swept.. They coulda done what they did to Toronto against Colorado. I don’t think that can happen here. Gonna be a real slug fest I think (back and forth). Gonna fall to the D cores + Price vs Fleury imo. Can the kids keep on fire or will Stone and company shut them down.
- G1 : Vegas
- G2 : Montreal (OT)
- G3 : Montreal
- G4 : Montreal (OT)
- G5 : Vegas
- G6 : Vegas
- G7 : Montreal (OT)

Round MVP: Price vs Fleury or Shea & Pietro vs Weber & Chiarot

Tampa Bay vs New York - The interesting series
One teams gonna dominate the other or it’s gonna be fun till game 6/7. New York could wear down Tampa and provide zero quality chances and when they do; Varma usually saves the day. Or Tampa could dominate through sheer power and provide no breathing room for New York.
Who gives a **** tho, go watch Price vs Fleury in Montreal. Jk, the Isles got a real fun barn to watch. Gotta love fans being back.
- G1 : Tampa
- G2 : NYI
- G3 : NYI
- G4 : Tampa
- G5 : Tampa (OT)
- G6 : Tampa (OT)

Round MVP: Kucherov or Varma

The matchups are going to be interesting in the MTL vs. VGK series. Vegas is going to want Stone & co. to face off against the Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield line, while Montréal will probably want the Danault line to go up against Stone & Pacioretty. Both team’s 3rd lines are extremely similar, and the 4th lines very, very different.
yikes and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:20 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So Rask is out until January or February next year. He’s said he doesn’t want to play for any NHL team other than Boston, and he’s at the end of his contract. So I’m guessing that Boston goes with Swayman and Vladar in net next year, and they sign Rask to a cheap deal once he’s healthy to maximize their cap space.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
I’m cheering for

New York Islanders
Reason: I like Barzal, he’s just spectacular

Vegas Golden Knights
Reason: Theyra against Montreal lmao

Tampa Bay Lightning
Reason: They’re not Montreal or they’d be last

Montreal
Reason: They eliminated my boys 😭 plus I’ve always hated Montreal and Boston soooooo they’re my two least favourites in the league
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Go leafs go
Cup Power Rankings
1. Tampa Bay
2. Vegas
3. New York
4. Montreal

Who I’m cheering for
1. Montreal
2. New York
3. Vegas