SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: IconicHawk
Honestly I don’t know why people keep having Drew Doughty on their team Canada over Dougie Hamilton Doughty is overrated

No he's not. Hamilton is tho.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
No he's not. Hamilton is tho.

This isn’t 2016 or whatever year Doughty won the Norris this is 2021 and right now Hamilton is the better defensemen
A_Habs_fan, Devil, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg
fELiwov.png

That's the full list.

Now this is a proper list and what gave me a good chuckle was the fact Arizona and Buffalo are ahead of Florida and Ottawa even when one of the teams is spending 10mill on a single goalie and the other team traded for their guy after only 10 games fans want him gone tears of joy.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
This isn’t 2016 or whatever year Doughty won the Norris this is 2021 and right now Hamilton is the better defensemen

Hamilton stinks at defense, while Doughty is still good at it.

With Chabot, Makar, Theodore we've got more than enough offensive options. Now we need, you know, defense.

You can't have 5 d-men out of 7 be mostly offensive d-men. It's not gonna work well.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:07 p.m.

With Chabot, Makar, Theodore we've got more than enough offensive options. Now we need, you know, defense.

You can't have 5 d-men out of 7 be mostly offensive d-men. It's not gonna work well.

Pelech, Toews and Pulock are much better option than Doughty for defence. Even Tanev is better if we’re talking solely defensively but putting him on the team is a worse decision than Yanni Gourde. Doughty isn’t exactly a lockdown defender either
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.
Bedard23

There’s better options out there for defensive defensemen
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

Hamilton is better than Doughty at defense and at pretty much everything.
Kotkaniemi15, A_Habs_fan, Devil and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Pelech, Toews and Pulock are much better option than Doughty for defence. Doughty isn’t exactly a lockdown defender either

Pelech isn't even a number 1 caliber d-man and you believe he could make Canada's teamtears of joy

Seriously the debate here is Doughty vs Hamilton and Doughty is the much better fit. Also he's got the Olympic experience, and knowing Hockey Canada, they'll bring a d-man who's been there before. I don't believe they'll bring 7-8 who've never been there. It's just common sense.
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:12 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Hamilton is better than Doughty at defense and at pretty much everything.

No he's not. He's been nothing special for 3 playoff runs in a row and BOS just EXPOSED him like crazy 2 years in a row. Take Ekblad and Doughty before him
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
Bedard23
Pelech isn't even a number 1 caliber d-man and you believe he could make Canada's teamtears of joy

Seriously the debate here is Doughty vs Hamilton and Doughty is the much better fit. Also he's got the Olympic experience, and knowing Hockey Canada, they'll bring a d-man who's been there before. I don't believe they'll bring 7-8 who've never been there. It's just common sense.

Hamilton is a better mix of size and skill
Devil and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Hamilton is a better mix of size and skill

Sure sure sure
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.
How good is this?
Ehlers-Bergeron-Stone
Fabbri-Hertl-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Vilardi-Armia
Lemieux-Grant-A-Kubel

Weegar-Klingberg
Mike Reilly-Parayko
Boroweicki-Stecher

Gibson
Halak

Very good, post like this when it's how good and they are a champion level team always make me want to be sarcastic with my answer.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
Bedard23
Sure sure sure

Your not gonna get away with mid-sized defenders on your team anymore
A_Habs_fan and Devil liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Very good, post like this when it's how good and they are a champion level team always make me want to be sarcastic with my answer.

People always tell me these kind of teams are 3 round calibers, so this opinion depends on the person
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
No he's not. He's been nothing special for 3 playoff runs in a row and BOS just EXPOSED him like crazy 2 years in a row. Take Ekblad and Doughty before him

I'd like to see Doughty playing playoffs hockey against the superstars in the Eastern division, I bet he'd be much worse than Hamilton.

Makar
Hamilton
Pietrangelo
Letang
Pulock
Ekblad
Ellis
Weegar if you count him as RD
Theodore if you count him as RD

Are all Canadian RDs I'd take before him. Doughty is on a tier below with Burns, Parayko, Spurgeon
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
How good is this?
Ehlers-Bergeron-Stone
Fabbri-Hertl-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Vilardi-Armia
Lemieux-Grant-A-Kubel

Weegar-Klingberg
Mike Reilly-Parayko
Boroweicki-Stecher

Gibson
Halak

Contender for sure, 4th line’s kinda weak though. Mangiapane is also better than Fabbri.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Your not gonna get away with mid-sized defenders on your team anymore

First CAN has got other big d-men and second IT STILL DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING I'VE BEEN POINTING OUT FOR OVER 10 MINUTES NOW and by the way you didn't address any of the points I made.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:23 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
I'd like to see Doughty playing playoffs hockey against the superstars in the Eastern division, I bet he'd be much worse than Hamilton.

Makar
Hamilton
Pietrangelo
Letang
Pulock
Ekblad
Ellis
Weegar if you count him as RD
Theodore if you count him as RD

Are all Canadian RDs I'd take before him. Doughty is on a tier below with Burns, Parayko, Spurgeon

That's not an argument. There are many d-men in the east who do well against heavy competitions, both in the regular season and in the playoffs... just to name a few, Hedman, Chabot, Ekblad, Slavin, McAvoy, Fox, Pulock
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
That's not an argument. There are many d-men in the east who do well against heavy competitions, both in the regular season and in the playoffs... just to name a few, Hedman, Chabot, Ekblad, Slavin, McAvoy, Fox, Pulock

Well Thomas Chabot has played a big total of 0 playoffs games since he's in the league, and Adam Fox has played 3. And you just named a group of fantastic defensemen who are all known to be in Hamilton's tier and worthy of being in talks of Olympic rosters. I was talking specifically about Doughty, who is clearly one step below everyone you just named.
A_Habs_fan and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
My team Canada D core at this point would probably be:

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Chabot-Hamilton

With Chychrun, Ekblad, Letang, Girard as considerations

Keeps some chemistry intact, which will be important in a short tournament (Toews complements Makar well, Theo and Petro don’t normally play together but I still think they’d be a good pair). Toews and the 3rd pair could be subbed out for any of the 4 spares, but this is what I’d go with. Maybe Ekblad over Hamilton if he starts the year well.

edit: Not a fan of Doughty at this point. Declining on the ice, talks like he’s still in his prime, I’d rather have someone quieter and who is actually good now. Petro can be the guy that’s been to the Olympics before, the last one the NHL was at was 8 years ago so it makes sense that those guys are out of their prime now.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
All this talk has made me realize my ignore list is completely empty and I could probably make life sm easier if I changed that fact

Ehh, I’m in forums all the time so i pretty much have no use for it, people here are usually smart
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:29 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Alfie11
My team Canada D core at this point would probably be:

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Chabot-Hamilton

With Chychrun, Ekblad, Letang, Girard as considerations

Keeps some chemistry intact, which will be important in a short tournament (Toews complements Makar well, Theo and Petro don’t normally play together but I still think they’d be a good pair). Toews and the 3rd pair could be subbed out for any of the 4 spares, but this is what I’d go with. Maybe Ekblad over Hamilton if he starts the year well.

There are so many good D options tbh. Even Pulock, Pelech, Nurse, Weegar will certainly be considered at some point.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:32 p.m.

Pelech is one of the top 10 d-men in the league defensively. If we’re talking about defensive fit he’s a better option.

My d-core
3rd pair is a lockdown pair to go with the Couturier-ROR-Stone Selke line

Theodore-Pietrangelo
Toews-Makar
Pelech-Pulock

Scratched
Chabot-Hamilton
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Well Thomas Chabot has played a big total of 0 playoffs games since he's in the league, and Adam Fox has played 3. And you just named a group of fantastic defensemen who are all known to be in Hamilton's tier and worthy of being in talks of Olympic rosters. I was talking specifically about Doughty, who is clearly one step below everyone you just named.

Agreed, he is, but apart from analytics there is nothing from Hamilton that tells he he's awesome.
And as I said, we need d-men who are gonna kill penalties and defend, and Petro and Ekblad can't do it all by themselves
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
There are so many good D options tbh. Even Pulock, Pelech, Nurse, Weegar will certainly be considered at some point.

I’d consider Weegar, but I think Pulock is just a step behind the 5 RD in my previous post. Not a huge fan of Nurse, he’s not good defensively and not as good as Chabot, Chychrun, Girard, Theodore, Rielly, etc. offensively imo. Pelech is a good shutdown D but like, I don’t think he has a shot at passing any of Canada’s 2-way stars. He might get the Vlasic nod because team Canada likes to pull random bs like that, but I wouldn’t have him higher than the spare D if I’m being generous.
A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll